• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DQIX TO DS. DS WINS NEXT GEN WAR! (DQ gets cash cowed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogow

dq9nds-5.jpg

dq9nds-6.jpg

Saoh

MutFox said:
Cause the Sony fans need something to make them feel better. (Before slicing their wrists.)

well, i can assure you that i felt the same with Capcom and RE4 and 5 :lol but what the hell, its only video games.

this game is going to be great for the car wash and the lines at the bank :p

Fady K

Second said:
Yeah, what bullcrap.

SE doesn't want the new Sony console to be the overwhelming winner again, but they're sure are supporting the already winning DS to hell.

AGREED!! BULLCRAP!

NOTHING but DS announcements as of late. Right after E3, after FFXIII and Versus XIII, EVERYTHING went DS when it came to announcements!

Heroes of Mana, Dragon Quest Monsters J, Its a Wonderful World, Front Mission 1st, Itadaki Street DS, Chocobo and the Magical Picture Book, FF Crystal Chronicles RoF...

when FFXII:RW announced that was a major blow! And now THIS???

#@!$ u Square-Enix!

Im with Bebpo all along in what he says.

Seriously, if this were announced for a next-gen console, then maybe the next-gen consoles would get a major push in japan, but now, the chance got a whole lot smaller. Thanks a lot Square, and again, #@!$ u! Ill be expecting nothing but freakin DS announcements in the next 2 years, and then DS2!

billysea

Banned
I wonder if this can turn into a first big online RPG for a handheld.
SquareEnix turned FFXI into the first big MMORPG for console, now they are trying to do the same with the Dragon Quest series on the DS.
On top of that, DS is a mainstream system, and Dragon Quest is having trouble going worldwide (its only popular in Japan but not very good everywhere else). So moving it to the DS makes sense and could do something breakthrough for the series.

E-phonk

Banned
Fady K said:
Ill be expecting nothing but freakin DS announcements in the next 2 years, and then DS2!

Nah, that would be too good to be true.
And with all the bitchin' in this thread we could open a whorehouse.

Ikael

Another thing that I have been thinking... people have talked about how this is the end for the PSP and / or the PS3... however.... could it be one of the signs of the end of graphic whorism? I mean... decisions like this are proving that consumers and developers alike are each time less interested in graphics. Sure, there will always be a public that values graphics inmensely, but... doesn't this movement prooves that in the end graphics means little to a game or company's sucess?

Johnas

:lol Well that sucks. I'm not sure I fully understand this move, but I haven't read this massive thread yet.

I have to say I did not see this coming, I thought it was 50/50 Wii or PS2.

EDIT: Does that second screen show a non-random battle?

Mojojo

Fady K said:
Seriously, if this were announced for a next-gen console, then maybe the next-gen consoles would get a major push in japan, but now, the chance got a whole lot smaller. Thanks a lot Square, and again, #@!$ u! Ill be expecting nothing but freakin DS announcements in the next 2 years, and then DS2!
Not to worry, when DQ Swords sells big in japan, DQX will be announced for the next gen Wii.

Fady K

E-phonk said:
Nah, that would be too good to be true.
And with all the bitchin' in this thread we could open a whorehouse.

U can only expect so much bitching after hearing something like this.

This is EXCELLENT news for the Nintendo faithful, if this were something like "DQ IX announced for PS3" id go insanely happy.

Its just a blow when the best selling game on my favorite console (PS2) gets a sequel on..not only a competitor's system, but on a handheld as well. An actual sequel. I dont know what to hate more, FFXIIRW or this...

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Fady K said:
AGREED!! BULLCRAP!

NOTHING but DS announcements as of late. Right after E3, after FFXIII and Versus XIII, EVERYTHING went DS when it came to announcements!

Heroes of Mana, Dragon Quest Monsters J, Its a Wonderful World, Front Mission 1st, Itadaki Street DS, Chocobo and the Magical Picture Book, FF Crystal Chronicles RoF...

#@!$ u Square-Enix!

I surely do support your cause and think squeenix should have ignored what device the overwhelming amount of gamers prefer there gaming on in Japan. I'm sure they'd all appreciated it if the biggest 3rd party publisher in japan would not support their device of choice but instead force them to buy a 600$ machine in addition. That would go down really well.

Ikael said:
Another thing that I have been thinking... people have talked about how this is the end for the PSP and / or the PS3... however.... could it be one of the signs of the end of graphic whorism? I mean... decisions like this are proving that consumers and developers alike are each time less interested in graphics. Sure, there will always be a public that values graphics inmensely, but... doesn't this movement prooves that in the end graphics means little to a game or company's sucess?

well grand theft auto didnt look very good on ps2, so yeah I can see your point. (fun factor > graphics everytime)

a bit OT: The reason the n64 got embarrassed by the psone was because of A cheaper CDs (and licenses) and B alot more room for stuff on a cd (textures, music, movies, game data, everything).

edit: and I think graphics are an important part of the package, its just that they get way over-emphasized. I would love for my 360 games to maybe look a little less ROXXOR and run a little more stable (because a choppy framerate CAN affect gameplay *glares at Tony Hawk 8*)

Teasel

edvard_munch.gif

i don't know why but after seeing this i can't stop laughing :lol :lol :lol
err... anyway,it's a weird move but really as long as the game turns out good,i couldn't care less if it's a DS game or not

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Awesome news, just cos its something new you know? How predictable would DQ9 on PS3 have been?

I hope they make this multiplayer, it reeks of personality already with the player customisation and cute little worlds.

Looking at the map, theres 3 red dots and 3 other dots, maybe that means 3 enemies and 3 players? Has wifi multiplayer been confirmed? If not this is a huge hint.

Fady K

elostyle said:
I surely do support your cause and think squeenix should have ignored what device the overwhelming amount of gamers prefer there gaming on in Japan. I'm sure they'd all appreciated it if the biggest 3rd party publisher in japan would not support their device of choice but instead force them to buy a 600$ machine in addition. That would go down really well.

First off, its not 600 over there, its around 415 (20gb) and ~500 (60gb), also many of the hardcore fans of DQVIII would appreciate seeing a sequel in next-gen glory. IT WOULD SELL. U think price will matter much when it comes to Dragon Quest? Btw, the PS2 Dragon Quest 8's japanese retail price was almost 80 US dollars. If 4 MILLION sold for SUCH an expensive game, i dont think they would mind buying the 400-500 dollar PS3 which will also have FFXIII at the very least and MGS4.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
herod said:
Would this game be kind of like a mini-WoW?

er...more like zelda 4 swords I would imagine. OR 4 player FF XI

I bet the cost of developing for next gen consoles had a hand in this as well vs profit ratios etc.

They already have one of the biggets budget games ever in FF XIII for PS3, DQ9 PS3 would have to be another huge production and they decided not to take that route.

Fady K said:
First off, its not 600 over there, its around 415 (20gb) and ~500 (60gb), also many of the hardcore fans of DQVIII would appreciate seeing a sequel in next-gen glory. IT WOULD SELL.

The 'hardcore fans' of DQ would be far more likely to be unhappy at the fact that the gameplay is taking such a drastic step away from the norm than what system it's going to.

gogogow

elostyle said:
You can get a PS3 for 400$ something in Japan and if DQIX was gonna be a PS3 game it would certainly not be released in the coming 2-3 years, by that time the PS3 would have several price drops.

But about DQIX on the DS, I don't care, as long as it's a good game, although I do prefer playing RPG's on a big screen.

thefro

Brobzoid said:
If the game looks like this, I would have no problem with it. But I somehow doubt it. ahh, but I never was one for DQ anyway.

Why couldn't it? They just have to use smoke and mirrors to get around the memory bottleneck and cover up the lack of anti-aliasing, but it's basically N64 hardware, and Ocarina Of Time looked suitably epic.

As far as size goes, they could use a 1 Gb or even a 2 Gb cart. If the music sounds like FFIII DS quality-wise it'll be very suitable.

And considering they can sell multiple copies of DQ to the same households with the connectivity and co-op play, the potential for printing money is huge. Not to mention the DS fanbase outside of Japan will eat this up.

Drek

I find this very weak. SE is basically admitting its all about money, not delivering a deep, engrossing RPG experience for their fans. Will it be wildly popular? Sure. Will it still be a pretty good game? Probably. But its not what DQIX should have been, a game you can sink 80+ hours into a la DQVIII or FFXII.

Great news for DS fans, bad news for RPG fans, as its clear Square Enix is simply unwilling to invest the money in non-Final Fantasy branded epic titles. As a former SE fanboy who had already lost a lot of faith in the company this generation (with FFXII bringing a small amount of that back) I can't see that I didn't see this coming though. They have no real dedication to the DQ franchise outside of cashing in on its large Japanese fanbase.

I can only pray that Mistwalker delivers, they're our last real hope for big budget epic RPGs this generation not named Final Fantasy. I wouldn't even mind the later if it was more Matsuno lead goodness like FFXII, instead I'm sure we'll get more Nomura crap pandering to the ADD generation of gamers.

Ogni-XR21

My first thought when I read this news was "GAF must go crazy!"...

The pics kind of look like PSO in DQ Universe (pun intended), I'm really looking forward to this, playing this with my friends on DS (only downside is that I don't know anyone else that owns a DS - yet).

elostyle said:
PS3 is also $500. By the time a Dragon Quest could have come to PS3, the price would have been more reasonable.

But from what I remembered, the reason DQVIII came to PS2 in Japan is because it had the largest userbase. Enix wants to bring a new DQ game to the platform with the biggest userbase, always.
Fady K said:
AGREED!! BULLCRAP!

#@!$ u Square-Enix!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Because of that, it keeps making next generation console less appealing to me. :(

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Krowley said:
Yeah, i agree 100 percent. Nintendo could have actually capatalized on this Sony/MS miscalculation, but they didn't....

I think your argument is a little problematic.

Nintendo’s entire strategy was built around capitalizing on the direction that MS/Sony were taking. It’s pretty clear that the industry has increasingly suffered from a series of growing problems:

- increasing hardware R&D costs
- increasing hardware production costs
- increasing hardware prices for consumers
- increasing losses on launch hardware
- slower hardware production
- longer software development times
- increasing software development costs
- increasing complexity of development environment

And I’m sure a few others that could be considered issues that have yet to be dealt with – concentration of software sales upon a few select titles, recent rises in software prices for consumers, overall risk-aversion from the manufacturer & developer perspective (the Dual-Shock being perhaps the ultimate example).

From this traditional perspective, Microsoft haven’t made too many significant errors in my opinion. They got their console out one year ahead of Sony; they provided most of the next-gen features gamers wanted; they did so at a reasonable price (and X360 will be significantly cheaper than PS3 next year); they secured more 3rd party support; they have a good 2007 software lineup. MS have also made efforts to help developers reduce costs, have a bit more creative freedom, provide an arena for different types of experience (XBLA), etc. They made a lot of improvements over Xbox.

So I don’t think Wii looks set to be a success simply because MS handed them the market, or Sony delayed and overpriced their console. The real issue is that Nintendo trod a different path that has appealed to people who still wouldn’t give a shit about PS3 if it was $300 at launch. Your mother isn’t going to play PS2 with her friends for $99 and she sure as shit won’t play PS3 for $300…but Wii, she might.

The real issue here is that you CANNOT make a $300 console (at launch) that has X360-like features...and forget a console that provides X360 graphics and a Wii-like interface for $300. The arms-race over graphics has forced Sony & MS into producing consoles that they hoped would wow people with their graphics but at the cost of increased price. If people want a return to sub-$300 consoles then they should be hoping that MS/Sony will absorb some of the concepts that Wii has materialized by going against the trends I laid out above.

Console manufacturers need to reduce their own emphasis on massive graphical improvements each generation and realize that gamers will accept a slower rate of visual improvement as long as there are other reasons to purchase the new hardware. I’m sure not many sane developers would lament the loss of the graphics arms-race either. Overall, the result would be lower costs across the board for all involved and that situation has to be healthier for the industry and the consumer.

In summary, Nintendo did capitalize. They capitalized on their competitors continuing down the same road. Even well executed strategies carved out on this same road were going to have some problems compared to Nintendo’s strategy carved out on a different road. Overall, I hope that the Wii restores a bit of sanity to the entire industry – stop making such huge losses on hardware, stop placing such an emphasis on enormously expensive leaps in graphics, reduce the cost for the consumer, reduce the cost and risk-aversion of software development. You don’t need to copy Wii to adopt those concepts…Wii is just one materialization of an attempt.

jjasper

DS? That sucks, I was really expecting it to go to Wii or PS2. I guess they are serious about putting it on the highest selling system even if it is a handheld.

Who the hell wants to play a 100 hr RPG on the go?

I'm no huge DQ fan but this sucks, who the **** wants to play it on DS rather than a console (any console I couldn't care less which one), really ****ing stupid IMO. And so the Japanese game market continues to go to shit.

S. L.

while i enjoy playing 10-20minute bursts of gaming on my DS i don't want to play a huge rpg like dragon quest on it... :( it should have been on PS2 or maybe even a nextgen console

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Fady K said:
First off, its not 600 over there, its around 415 (20gb) and ~500 (60gb), also many of the hardcore fans of DQVIII would appreciate seeing a sequel in next-gen glory. IT WOULD SELL. U think price will matter much when it comes to Dragon Quest? Btw, the PS2 Dragon Quest 8's japanese retail price was almost 80 US dollars. If 4 MILLION sold for SUCH an expensive game, i dont think they would mind buying the 400-500 dollar PS3 which will also have FFXIII at the very least and MGS4.
I don't think the dragon quest demographic is as hardcore as you think. It is very mainstream - or at least used to be. That's why it goes to the platform with the highest userbase. As I said, my girlfriend that hasn't played a dragon quest since the NES will probably buy this. While many hardcore fans of DQ8 would like a next gen version, "hardcore" fans of 1-7 (who aren't that hardcore) will probably not give a shit about the graphics.

Maybe.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
thefro said:
Why couldn't it? They just have to use smoke and mirrors to get around the memory bottleneck and cover up the lack of anti-aliasing, but it's basically N64 hardware, and Ocarina Of Time looked suitably epic.

As far as size goes, they could use a 1 Gb or even a 2 Gb cart. If the music sounds like FFIII DS quality-wise it'll be very suitable.

And considering they can sell multiple copies of DQ to the same households with the connectivity and co-op play, the potential for printing money is huge.

I was talking about the draw distance specifically. If it can look like that, that's great. But I think they're gonna have some fog shit to cover it up. But still if they can do it, that's great.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
GitarooMan said:
And so the Japanese game market continues to go to shit.

why because you want to play on a console? besides this is just a stopover for DQ..

ivysaur12

Banned
It's unfortunate that DQ9 will be taking some steps back in the series, ie. no voice acting, no really pretty really large overworld. I'm sure it'll be a good game, and from a buisness standpoint it makes sense, but from a gamer standpoint DQ9 would be better off on the Wii or even the PS2.

reminder

Square Enix about PS3: "We don't want the PlayStation 3 to be the overwhelming loser, so we want to support them. But we don't want them to be the overwhelming winner either, so we can't support them too much."

Square Enix about DS: "We want the Nintendo DS to be the overwhelming winner."

ssoass

I guess this could be cool, but DQ with next gen graphics would be much cooler.
DQ8 was beautiful, almost like a playable cartoon, so imagine what they could have done with next gen.

8bit

Knows the Score
herod said:
Would this game be kind of like a mini-WoW?

World of Fourcraft.

I think there's more to this than just putting it on the DS. If DQ Swords links to this and/or there's a DS Player for Wii in the works it's not tied down to the handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom