• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

I really like New Slaves and Black Skinhead.

I wish the rest were instrumental or only had a couple of lines in them as I like the music a lot.

The rest:

icXnSD0l.png

Mistle

holy shit, not only are the screams definitely more clear (and sound a lot better imo) but it has the extended thumping part like the snl version, complete with a rising high pitch sound in the background, and screams at the start

check out 1:30!

i bet it's an older version provided to paramount awhile ago. and it's a shame too because it sounds a lot better to me.

Mistle

Could be final album version.

Could be pre-Rubin version.

We'll know in less than 24 hours.

i'm going to say it's pre-rubin... but man i'd lose my shit if it's the album cut (which seems impossible considering the time needed to press & deliver CDs and such)

there's rumors of a different 14 track version but who knows. it seems to me that rubin's cut ain't as good, and it's a shame

Mistle

what's odd about that recording is that it's got the SNL production but the album lyrics

somebody should mix those parts into the album version >_>

remz

I guess we might have to accept that rubin may have done some of his signature butchering to poor ol' Yeezus.

Maybe we'll have that mix on the Wolf Of Wallstreet soundtrack :D

cacophony

On Sight (Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Malik Jones, Che Smith, Elon Rutberg, Cydel Young, Derrick Watkins, Mike Dean & Keith Carter, Sr.)

Black Skinhead (Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Malik Jones, Cydel Young, Elon Rutberg, Wasalu Jaco, Sakiya Sandifer, Mike Dean & Derrick Watkins)

I Am A God (feat. God) [Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Clifton Bailey, Harvel Hart, Anand Bakshi, Rahul Burman, Ross Birchard, Justin Vernon, Malik Jones, Che Smith, Elon Rutberg, Cydel Young, Mike Dean & Derek Watkins]

New Slaves (Kanye West, Christopher Breaux, Cydell Young, Gabor Presser, Anna Adamis, Ben Bronfman, Malik Jones, Che Smith, Elon Rutberg, Sakiya Sandifer, Louis Johnson & Mike Dean)

Hold My Liquor (Kanye West, Mike Dean, Justin Vernon, Keith Cozart, Elon Rutberg, Che Smith, Malik Jones, Alejandro Ghersi, Cydel Young & Derrick Watkins)

I'm In It (Kanye West, Justin Vernon, Andre Harris, Jill Scott, Vidal Davis, Carvin Haggins, Kenny Lattimore, Jeffrey Campbell, Josh Leary, Malik Jones, Cydel Young, Sakiya Sandifer, Elon Rutberg & Mike Dean)

Blood On The Leaves (Kanye West, Ross Birchard, Lewis Allen, Elon Rutberg, Malik Jones, Tony Williams, Cydel Young & Mike Dean)

Guilt Trip (Kanye West, Scott Mescudi, Keith Elam, Kevin Hansford, Dupre Kelly, Chris Martin, Al Terik Wardrick, Marlon Williams, Terrence Thornton, Tyree Pittman, Cydel Young, Mike Dean & Larry Griffin Jr.)

Send It Up (Kanye West, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, Michael Levy, Moses Davis, Colin York, Lowell Dunbar, Louis Johnson, Alejandro Ghersi, Sakiya Sandifer, Ab-Liva, Elon Rutberg & Mike Dean)

Bound 2 (Kanye West, John Stephens, Charlie Wilson, Elon Rutberg, Norman Whiteside, Bobby Massey, Robert Dukes, Che Pope, Cydel Young, Malik Jones, Sakiya Sandifer, Mike Dean & Ronnie Self)

Cyhi brought the work

Wynnebeck

Banned
Listening to it right now. On Sight started shit off right and Black Skinhead is pretty dope. I'm hearing the rest of the album is trash though so I'll keep an open mind.

EDIT: So I finished it. Worst Kanye album ever.

Mononoke

Banned
To me, this album just sounds rushed. Like the first 4 tracks sound like Ye has this idea what he wants to do with the record. But somewhere in the middle it starts to lose footing and goes off in these weird directions. And not weird in a good way, because it sounds disjointed and unfinished. Even Rick Rubin recently stated that he felt the album needed 3 more months of work.

I think Ye picked up some bad habits while working on WTT and CS. He usually puts more time and effort into his releases.

I'm glad we're still disappointed in Cruel Summer. Cruel Summer was the worst.

Yeah, nothing will beat CS. What a stinker. I kind of felt WTT wasn't up to the standards of Ye's release as well. Mostly because, I feel the production was poor on some songs (not all tracks, but just the style they were going for was worse than what Ye had done before). And I also always felt that WTT felt rushed (I still have no idea what the fuck happened to Lift Off). Still, when you step back and look at the overall album, WTT at least has appeal. CS is just awful through and through.

I still think Yeezus is his worst solo album to date.

Mononoke

Banned
Where's he saying this?

Kanye West's 'Raw' Yeezus Lacked 'Focus' When Rick Rubin Jumped In

Kanye West invokes his "god name" for the title of his game-changing sixth album Yeezus, but when it came time to complete the project, 'Ye reached out to "the god" — legendary hip-hop/rock producer Rick Rubin — for help in the 25th hour. The pair worked furiously to strip down and re-assemble the album three weeks before deadline, as Rubin reveals in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1709096/kanye-west-rick-rubin-yeezus.jhtml

Five songs still needed vocals and two or three of them still needed lyrics. He said, “Don’t worry, I will score 40 points for you in the fourth quarter.” In the two hours before had to run out to catch the plane, he did exactly that: finished all lyrics and performed them with gusto. A remarkable feat. He had total confidence in his ability to get the job done when push came to shove.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/06/14/the-inside-story-of-kanye-wests-yeezus/

I know I read somewhere Rick Rubin said he felt the album still needed 3 more months. But I'll take back my statement until I can actually FIND the source (maybe mind mind is playing tricks on me). Still looking for that, and I'll post when I find it. However, you can clearly tell this album was rushed just based on the above.

Album basically had months of work done in three weeks before the deadline. Five songs still needed the vocals/lyrics, and was done 2 days before the deadline. Lol

Mistle

I just finished remixing Black Skinhead to include the "Wolf of Wall Street" parts. It now is much closer to the SNL version production wise. Screams at the start, drums through the start of the build up, and a riser during the build up too. I also adjusted the screams in the chorus to sound more "full", as I felt the album versions were lacking.

This was kind of just a personal project, not intended to replace the original. I've never done this sort of thing before, so it mightn't be that good. I think it came out ok though!

https://soundcloud.com/sabbz22/black-skinhead-wolf-street-mix

EloquentM

aka Mannny
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1709096/kanye-west-rick-rubin-yeezus.jhtml

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/06/14/the-inside-story-of-kanye-wests-yeezus/

I know I read somewhere Rick Rubin said he felt the album still needed 3 more months. Still looking for that, and I'll post when I find it. However, you can clearly tell this album was rushed just based on this.
You don't need to. Honestly this sounds so similar to how 808s and dark fantasy were at completion.

Mononoke

Banned
You don't need to. Honestly this sounds so similar to how 808s and dark fantasy were at completion.

Those albums were worked on for a long time though, with Kanye constantly re-working them over and over again to perfection up to the deadline. Not even comparable situations tbh. Especially MBDTF, you couldn't be more wrong.

EDIT: You are right about 808s though. That was recorded in a 2 month period. MBDTF was pretty much finished before the deadline, he just kept re-working it over and over.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Those albums were worked on for a long time though, with Kanye constantly re-working them over and over again to perfection up to the deadline. Not even comparable situations tbh. Especially MBDTF, you couldn't be more wrong.
808s was literally made in less than 3 months.
Dark fantasy was worked on PAST the deadline. Although he had been working on that album from the beginning of 2010 into a week before its release.

Fjordson

She's pasty and flat
I dunno man, have you seen her lately? She's looking fine imo.

edit: other important thing to note with that whole incident is that Taylor Swift is not some toddler who is scarred for life. She's hot, is rich as hell, can fuck whoever she wants and then put them on blast in country-pop songs that millions of teenagers listen to, and she's winning Grammys and shit. She's livin just like Kanye and is doing just fine. Part of why I feel that whole thing is overblown since I still hear the "poor poor Taylor Swift" sentiment sometimes.

Mononoke

Banned
808s was literally made in less than 3 months.
Dark fantasy was worked on PAST the deadline. Although he had been working on that album from the beginning of 2010 into a week before its release.

Yeah you were right about 808s. But I don't get how your comparison to MBDTF works. Kanye had an overall vision for that record and the album was pretty much done a year before the deadline. He just kept re-working things (and yes I'm aware of him working past the deadline).

Yeezus was completely stripped apart and re-worked in 3 weeks. Rubin even saying that they had to do MONTHS of work in a 3 week period. 5 songs didn't even have lyrics or vocals yet, and he did those 2 days before the deadline. MBDTF had all the vocals (he might have re-worked parts, but they were already written). In fact, there was already a fully recorded demo of the album 6 months before its release.

So again, I don't see why you are comparing those two releases. MBDTF sounds like Ye working on something to the point of obsession (not wanting to let go of the final product until it was 100% perfect). Yeezus sounds like he had no idea what he was doing 3 weeks before the album was due (half of the album didn't have lyrics or vocals 2 days before it was due) - and then he had a producer come in and re-work the entire album 3 weeks before.

Even 808s (while it was recorded in a short period of time and pushed to the deadline) had an overall album demo done with full vocals and production a month before it came out.

EDITED for typos: (Meant 3 weeks not months. And a month, not months before.)

DominoKid

edit: other important thing to note with that whole incident is that Taylor Swift is not some toddler who is scarred for life. She's hot, is rich as hell, can fuck whoever she wants and then put them on blast in country-pop songs that millions of teenagers listen to, and she's winning Grammys and shit. She's livin just like Kanye and is doing just fine. Part of why I feel that whole thing is overblown since I still hear the "poor poor Taylor Swift" sentiment sometimes.

nah she's living like Rihanna lmao.

“Don’t worry, I will score 40 points for you in the fourth quarter.”

and he did it too. Yeezus Jordan.
ib9oCq6ualSUv.gif

rosarkar

Neo Member
This album is SO, SO GOOD, start to finish.

I don't get how you kids are so affirmative about your hate for the album. give it a few more spins, i'm sure you'll love it in a few days when certain tracks are played repeatedly on the radio.

Send It Up, extra loud in the car >>> :eek:bamasweat:

Artemisia

Banned

You should consider stanning Taylor Swift tbh. Let The Lord in.
alexis.gif

Mononoke

Banned
Alright, I found it. I actually misread what he said:

"Kanye came over to play me what I assumed was going to be the finished album at three weeks before the last possible delivery date. We ended up listening to three hours of partially finished pieces. The raw material was very strong but hadn’t yet come into focus. Many of the vocals hadn’t been recorded yet, and many of those still didn’t have lyrics. From what he played me, it sounded like several months more work had to be done. I joined the project because after discussing what he had played for me, he asked if I would be open to taking all of the raw material on and help him finish it."

So he didn't say the album needed months more work AFTER they finished. But that, he felt it needed months more work when Kanye asked him to tackle the project. Still. When you take this into consideration with everything else he's said (them doing months of work in 3 weeks, Kanye not having lyrics/vocals for 5 songs even up to 2 days before the deadline), this album sounds extremely rushed. But that's all I'll say about it. Don't mean to beat a dead horse on this. Just saying to me personally, I feel this album sounds rushed.

But for those that love it, I guess that's all irrelevant. Anyways, that's all I have to say about this album. Huge fan of Kanye, even met the man on numerous occasions. Have great respect for him. But I'm not a big fan of this record. But I am glad that so many people are loving it.

rosarkar

Neo Member
^So true. Best song on the album. I REALLY wish it was longer though :(

YEEEEEEE

On Sight gets me fuckin hype, esp the switch to the choir.
Black Skin Head is amazing as expected.
I Am A God is next level. Croissants are the new Fish Fillet.
New Slaves >>>
Hold My Liquor is my favorite on the album. Lyrics hit me right in the feels and Keef killed the hook.
I'm In It & Blood On The Leaves are the deepest songs on the album imo. I feel they're more "headphone-y" tracks, if that makes sense to you?
Guilt Trip feels like filler but the rest of the album is just that good.
Send It Up bangs as previously mentioned.
Bound 2 is a next level way to finish off the album with the OG Ye soul sound.

This album is just so amazing. Sorry about the poor grammar, but I needed to express my Yeezus feels.

solarus

Really I don't think any of you would be saying it's rushed if you didn't know that Rubin had come in and heavily altered it in the last three weeks, stripping away a lot of the fat, I think having read that it's gonna influence people's opinions also that three months more work quote is non-existent I never saw that in the Rubin interview, that's just made up. Album sounds really great and polished to me, the only thing I wonder is why Bound 2 is on there it's so out of place with the rest but maybe it's intentional.

Kwixotik

Really I don't think any of you would be saying it's rushed if you didn't know that Rubin had come in and heavily altered it in the last three weeks, stripping away a lot of the fat, I think having read that it's gonna influence people's opinions also that three months more work quote is non-existent I never saw that in the Rubin interview, that's just made up. Album sounds really great and polished to me, the only thing I wonder is why Bound 2 is on there it's so out of place with the rest but maybe it's intentional.

Bound 2 does sound out of place, but I think that's part of why it's a good closer. It grabs your attention. Also, I really like the song.

Kaizer

Banned
Bound 2 does sound out of place, but I think that's part of why it's a good closer. It grabs your attention. Also, I really like the song.

I'm finding it real hard to like Bound 2, don't like how they cut up the sample on there. It's too jarring for me and is just sorta meh.

Gorillaz

Bound 2 is still my fav its almost like a positive end to the sad album. Kind of like what gorillaz did with the demon days track on the Demon Days LP

Edit:yea it is a tease to people wanting a college dropout 2 lol

Top Bottom