• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I got Infinite when it was half off........... heh.

Resolving not to spend any more than that on this sale regardless of how good it sounds. Sanctum was a lot of fun though. Portal 2 for $5 is insulting, though I guess if you don't have it yet I'd rather you pay $5 than nothing.

I got Infinite when it was half off........... heh.

Resolving not to spend any more than that on this sale regardless of how good it sounds. Sanctum was a lot of fun though. Portal 2 for $5 is insulting, though I guess if you don't have it yet I'd rather you pay $5 than nothing.

I bought:

Super Hexagon (heard lots of good things, haven't tried it yet)
To The Moon Soundtrack (already had the awesome game itself)
Cart Life (played the demo and loved it)
Strike Suit Infinity (looks good even if neither it nor its parent game have had glowing reviews, this one got better ones as it's more arcadey and therefore more up my alley)
Rogue Legacy (my most played game of the last few days, unadulterated heroin)

But right before the sale I already had bought:

Sonic Generations Retail (seems to stutter in framerate even though FRAPS assures me it's locked at 60 FPS :/ )
Sleeping Dogs Digital Edition (was dirt cheap and sort of enjoyed the demo).
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten Retail (another game I've sunk countless hours into, dangerously addicting game with the perfect blend of tower defense and RPG-like character developing).
Chronicles of Mystara (absolutely classic game, no other beat'em up touches Mystara)
The Witcher 2 (already had it on GOG, which I'm going to phase out as an online retail service)

Considering getting Starseed Pilgrim and I'm sure more stuff will tempt me along the line.

Retro

comic_016msbz.jpg

comic_0279sh8.jpg

comic_03e6sev.jpg

comic_0441sba.jpg

Are the press sites going to be able to talk about the next update today, or is it next Monday?

Could be today, that's usually when the press embrago ends. I don't see anything on twitter yet though. MMORPG has the info about the next update from a few days ago; nothing new.

Guys...I am having an impossible time of playing other games...I just don't care for them. I really want to finish The Last of Us though...

I know that feeling. Weltall gifted me FTL and the whole time I was playing it (having fun, but getting my ass kicked) I was thinking I was having a blast playing my Guardian last night.

Decided to take a break from FTL after an enemy took out my sensors, so I didn't notice a hull breach that was spilling oxygen out and instantly killing everyone on board. Damn.

Guild Wars 2 has become my new TF2. I buy a game on a Steam sale, install it, and load up GW2. I would, most likely, be better off to spend that money on gems.

I've finally shown one of the symptoms the Steam Summer Sale Syndrome. I was ready to buy Portal 2 yesterday when my wife asked "Don't you already have that?" Sure enough, I do. Haven't played it yet either. And I was in the middle of Bioshock from LAST year.

The reason I didn't buy FTL myself (it was only $2!) is I know how much time GW2 occupies.

Getting a little lonely. Could I get an invite to the guild? Account name: Nerokis.8405

Invite Sent, welcome to GAFGuild. Nobody should be lonely in an MMO.

Nerokis

I've finally shown one of the symptoms the Steam Summer Sale Syndrome. I was ready to buy Portal 2 yesterday when my wife asked "Don't you already have that?" Sure enough, I do. Haven't played it yet either.

I actually first went through the Portal games in the middle of a GW2 kick, and I enjoyed GW2 more after playing them. I think it was a combination of the games simply making my entire life better, and variety being a good thing. You should definitely get that over with.

Invite Sent, welcome to GAFGuild. Nobody should be lonely in an MMO.

Thanks!

Dunlop

Is crafting to 80 not viable anymore?

Trying to powerlevel my guardian alt. I followed the cooking guide at gw2craft (or whatever)

Went from 0 to 400, about 6 gold and got maybe 6 levels (17 - 23).

I seem to remember GW2 keeps you level even if you abandon a profession so even if you level all of them I don't see how you could get near 80

Retro

I actually first went through the Portal games in the middle of a GW2 kick, and I enjoyed GW2 more after playing them. I think it was a combination of the games simply making my entire life better, and variety being a good thing. You should definitely get that over with.

I'm getting as much GW2 in now as I can before Terraria 1.2 and/or Starbound completely destroy my life.

Trying to powerlevel my guardian alt. I followed the cooking guide at gw2craft (or whatever)

I seem to remember GW2 keeps you level even if you abandon a profession so even if you level all of them I don't see how you could get near 80

400 in any profession should give you 10 levels. You can abandon professions without losing your progress in them, allowing you to theoretically craft from 0-80 by maxing out all 8 crafting professions.

I''m not sure why you only got 6, maybe your level being somewhat low had some effect. I usually don't try crafting up levels until I'm higher than 20.

Trey

The hell? All crafts give you ten levels. That's weird if it didn't.

It is 10 levels per crafting profession, so if you do all 8 you should be able to get to level 80 without ever fighting anyone.

Now, I am not sure if this only works if you start with a level 1...it could be possible that if you are already lets say level 46, the amount of XP you get for every crafting level is lower.

In your instance you should have gotten 10 levels for going from 0-400. If you are going to do another crafting profession I recommend you use Crafting Booster so you get more crafting experience (which doesn't level you faster but at least you move through crafting tiers quicker meaning you use less materials)..

Dunlop

thanks for the info, maybe my level was lower than I thought?

Need to check how many gems I would need to purchase to convert to gold to make this viable :p

I need to preview the armor sets first but I suspect I'll go with Radiant as I already have the CoF armor. I don't recall what the Radiant helmet looks like but the gloves make the set seem like they'd be perfect for a Guard and that's what I'm eventually creating next.

What does 400 gems buy? I'm guessing it's no where near enough for more banks space, right? or even the last bag storage slot?

Trey

I need to preview the armor sets first but I suspect I'll go with Radiant as I already have the CoF armor. I don't recall what the Radiant helmet looks like but the gloves make the set seem like they'd be perfect for a Guard and that's what I'm eventually creating next.

What does 400 gems buy? I'm guessing it's no where near enough for more banks space, right? or even the last bag storage slot?

Bank space is 600. Bag space is 400.

Edit: Aodh!

Really? nice! I forget when the second reward chest with another 400 gems comes...probably not until 10k. That extra bank slot would be so nice, it's one extra row, right? Or do you get more?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really? nice! I forget when the second reward chest with another 400 gems comes...probably not until 10k. That extra bank slot would be so nice, it's one extra row, right? Or do you get more?
It's an extra.... slot, like, what you have two of to start. edit: Or do you just have one? Did I buy two...

Nerokis

I'm getting as much GW2 in now as I can before Terraria 1.2 and/or Starbound completely destroy my life.

Ahh, completely forgot about the Terraria update! I'm excited for that, even though I've barely touched hard mode.

But yeah, Portal 2 calls. :)

Retro

Retro's Beginner Tips

1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.

- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.​

2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.

- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.
3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there aren't any gathering 'professions', so everyone can gather everything so long, but only so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; you don't need to rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want more inventory space right away, check the trading post; the prices are usually very low for 8 and 10 slot backs. The shortcut is "o". Alternatively, you can take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.

- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.​

Seriously, this cannot be emphasized enough. Dodging completely mitigates damage so long as you're in the animation, and can be used to avoid even the most powerful blows. It is essential you make dodging a reflex as soon as possible.​

10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers (listed in the OT) to get an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (we play on Stormbluff Isle though), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like). Friends and family are welcome!

Be aware that your server choice really only affects World vs. World. You are able to temporarily transfer to any server in your region (North America / Europe), which is called "guesting". Because World vs. World is basically server vs. server, you'll only be able to represent your home server in that mode, however.​

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features. The address/port information for Mumble can be found by quoting the OT; it will appear at the top inside the e-mail tags. Please use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space and wallet is shared between all of your characters.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.​

Yeah yeah yeah, I'll get to it sometime next week. Right now I'm still enjoying the Bazaar content and leveling my alts. I promise I'll get to it eventually.
If you played portal 1 you played portal 2 just some new puzzle mechanics. Don't waste your time, just play Guild Wars 2.

Ps. Jira is the reddit-bot!

Interesting quote on the future dungeon changes from Mike Z, RPS interview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/15/the-tales-of-guild-wars-2/
“There’s a lot of things that we are working on and that we have done based on things that have been requests,” he says. “One of the major features we are looking to integrate now, one of the teams that I am working with is actually designing an in-game looking for group tool, which up until this point the fans have really kind of owned on various fansites and things like that. Because we have actually access to much more information live we’re going to be adding features that they just couldn’t do because they don’t have access to the same stuff we do.”

“We’re also looking at how do we develop our dungeon systems… With this Living World strategy we can… have a story that talks about how one of these villains takes over a dungeon path or something like that, we can go change things, and so our goal is to really change the world but use the story as a mechanism to basically tell what’s happening.

That would be a really cool idea to get people to come back to some of the less played dungeons, only thing I ask is that the change stays permanently.

Jira

Audio interview with Mike Z

http://mmoreporter.com/podcasts/guildwars/GW2MikeZInterview.mp3

Questions transcript:

1) We’re almost getting to the one year anniversary, of the game, what are the main lessons in design that you’ve learned in this first year? When we started playing the game it was very clear you had to educate your players to this is a different or a new approach to playing an MMO, and you succeeded in that, but you must also have discovered things that didn’t work or surprises. So what were the biggest lessons that you’ve taken away so far?

2) Were there any moments where you said, ‘Ok, in this particular example, we have to change this’ or ‘Yes, this is really working better than expected?’

3) One of my favorite experiences in the game is the discovery of things that are really off the beaten path, that don’t even have a point of interest attached to them but are actually mini dungeons and stuff like that. Are there any things in the game so far that haven’t been discovered yet? Like major things, not just an NPC joke, but major things like dungeons or places that you’ve tucked away really deep into the game.

3b) Was that goal in itself to make stuff really difficult to find? The jumping puzzles have been really challenging [to find] in a fun way.

4) The personal instance, for your personal story, you made a big deal of it at launch but it’s become something more like a background. The first way I understood it was that it would be something like your player housing done Guild Wars but it hasn’t turned out that way. Is this something you’re looking into? Is player housing, personal area, or guild area something that’s in the future?

5) What would be a Guild Wars 2 take on raiding?

6) My experience with Orr, when I reached level 80 I was in the first group of people that got there, after the launch window, and Orr was kind of raid-like in the sense that everybody was starting at the entrance and trying to get in. I was hoping you would expand on that mechanic of large groups of people taking, or moving towards, the living area. But that’s not something you’re focusing on or adding special zones for next to Orr?

7) Everything in Guild Wars 2 seems to be about seamless cooperation but, still, there is no dungeon or group finder to get into dungeons. Why is that? What was the reason for that choice?

7b) Why wasn’t it something that was included for launch? It’s almost like stepping back 5 years in time once you want to do a dungeon, like looking for group at the entrance.

8) Is there still a ban on any kind of vehicles [or mounts] in the game world?

9) The festivals that you’ve arranged so far, I’ve enjoyed them, but I am noticing a pattern in what’s happening. I’m not saying you completely reskinned the same festival. There is obvious creativity there but you can see that Halloween festival and the Dragon Bash festival have a lot of similar elements. Rather than carving pumpkins we have Dragon Pinatas, rather than candy corn you have zhaitaffy and a temporary pvp map. Is this a pattern that you are going to follow or are there going to be festivals that are completely different than the ones we’ve seen before?

10) So you’re getting back to the idea of having one time events? Because I thought that was something you weren’t doing anymore now it seems you’re back on track with having some unique events that you can actually miss. Is that something we’re going to see moving forward?

10b) Also from a technical point of view, I think one of the major reasons that you had technical difficulties with the Karka event and with Halloween was the large amount of players at the same location, correct?

11) World versus World is a popular aspect of the game. Is it more popular than you expected because the start it felt as if it was almost the more casual version of player versus player while the structured pvp was supposed to be the actual player vs player. Do I interpret that correctly?

12) I’m curious if there are any plans for story-like events or radical temporary monsters, for example, in the World versus World environment?

13) The economy of the game is spanned across all servers, or at least large groups of servers together, this really keeps prices down a lot. Is this something that you are happy with, the way the economy is evolving or are there things that you are considering to make it more interesting to sell stuff? [Currently] most of the loot that you drop is sold for a few coppers over the vendor price.

13b) So there’s no chance of having player-run stores in virtual communities? I’m still dreaming about that.

14) Are you happy about the way the gem store is working out?

15) So you are saying we are not going to see an expansion pack at the end f this year?

16) Does that mean that we can expect expansion-like content in teh sense of extra zones or stuff like that in the update schedule as we see it now?

16b) So stuff like you’re saying, new races, new professions, new skills…

16c) Is this something that you recently decided? There was this hint of you doing expansions like adding dragons or story bits on a yearly basis. Has this [release method] always been a plan or is it a recent decision based on the way the gem store is working out?

17) I was a little disappointed, I’m understating this actually, I was very disappointed I’m not able to guest to US servers. I do the MMOReporter podcast with a Canadian and an American; I’m not able to play with them through guesting. Is this something that you’ll never allow? Is this really technically impossible?

17b) Why is this difficult? It is possible to transfer to US servers from an EU account.

18) Please announce any of the major features that you’re planning for the next two months.

19) I’m still tantalized by your remark that new races are not off the table, what other races would be prime candidates to be included in the game?

19b) What would be your personal favorite? I understand this is not an announcement, just what races would you like most, as a player, to see as a playable race?

19c) Would you envision skritt as a possibility?

20) [Player-run API]

21) Does that mean that all of this stuff is also usable in a mobile app? A smartphone app?

21b) This is a question that I asked about 6 months ago, and you said, not you but somebody said that a mobile app with an authentication procedure was on the way and then it didn’t happen. Is this still something that you are working on?

Ashodin

My two sets:

Aether Crusader

nMEJHiu.gif

Radiance of Kryta

43oB6Bz.gif

Shoulders to come in a few days. Greatsword will be gotten from the aetherblade collection to fit the Crusader set.

jersoc

Guys...I am having an impossible time of playing other games...I just don't care for them. I really want to finish The Last of Us though...

the last of us is really good, but a bit predictable story wise. you should finish it imo.

i've barely bought any games on steam mostly cause I have a lot of games that are heavily discounted and those that i want to buy aren't discounted enough for impulse. so with SMT4 tomorrow, meh. I've bought 3 games, I think. Sold a lot of cards so paid even less.

edit:god damn these avatars. i can't tell anyone apart now.

How come? Just doing some streamlining or what?

I opened my GOG account when I bought FTL, Planescape Torment and Witcher 2 at a sale. I realized I dislike not having a client that auto-updates, cloud saves, etc. so I ended up buying FTL again for Steam (then again and again for my friends). Witcher 2 was a pain to download through GOG, so when I saw it for 5€ or whatever on Steam, I went for it.

I know that feeling. Weltall gifted me FTL and the whole time I was playing it (having fun, but getting my ass kicked) I was thinking I was having a blast playing my Guardian last night.

Decided to take a break from FTL after an enemy took out my sensors, so I didn't notice a hull breach that was spilling oxygen out and instantly killing everyone on board. Damn.

Don't force yourself to play it or feel bad just because it's a gift (I've done that on occasion); it was only 2.5$. I've given it to people months ago that haven't redeemed it yet, I think :D. The game has a lot of depth, though, and the situations that arise are out of a sci-fi novel.

Interestingly, FTL was the first game that pulled me off GW2. I'm playing a lot less lately anyway since my GF doesn't have a GW2-capable computer anymore. Which is a shame as we're missing on some of the temporary content, but ah well...

I've finally shown one of the symptoms the Steam Summer Sale Syndrome. I was ready to buy Portal 2 yesterday when my wife asked "Don't you already have that?" Sure enough, I do. Haven't played it yet either. And I was in the middle of Bioshock from LAST year.

I've done that on far too many occasions. If Steam itself didn't prevent you from buying a game twice, I'd easily have a dozen more purchases on my account. :D Heck, I think the last time was this week.

The reason I didn't buy FTL myself (it was only $2!) is I know how much time GW2 occupies.

That's actually one of the reasons that I don't mind playing less GW2 lately. I don't want all my free time taken by a game; I've done that with WoW in its time and one misses up on a lot of really good games.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They clip pretty badly on Charr. Goes right through the back of my Mesmer.

I haven't tried it without armor on yet.
Well that blows. Who cares about how it looks without armor? Then again, depending on how the clipping works, it might just be hidden under my shield/kit backpack, which would be fine. I mostly want the effect.
I can see Lightning being perfect for Engi, yeah
How does the other one look?

Ashodin

Well that blows. Who cares about how it looks without armor? Then again, depending on how the clipping works, it might just be hidden under my shield/kit backpack, which would be fine. I mostly want the effect.

How does the other one look?

The wind one is the second GIF.

The Sun one is the least valued because it is just light. Not even very bright either.

nataku

I logged in and took some screens.

With my shoulders:

Without my shoulders:

This kind of clipping happens with anything that hangs down like that. Greatswords and some staves clip in the middle of the weapons too. Poor Charr and their humpback, lol.

I use the Ascalonian mantle, so it makes it even worse. If you have just normal shoulder armor it should be closer to the second shot, though I don't know how heavy armor affects it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thx guys :)

Sun effect is definitely kinda boring, what a misfire. I'm leaning toward the lightning for him.

Cels

They clip pretty badly on Charr. Goes right through the back of my Mesmer.

I haven't tried it without armor on yet.

guild wars 2 has had a lot of clipping issues since day 1. you would think that these issues would be fixed slowly over time but with the rate of content they're pushing out it seems like arenanet will be behind forever. at least we have the content.

still, it would be nice if they made sure that new armor and weapons did not clip. at least that way they would only have clipping from the older armor and weapons to fix.

nataku

guild wars 2 has had a lot of clipping issues since day 1. you would think that these issues would be fixed slowly over time but with the rate of content they're pushing out it seems like arenanet will be behind forever. at least we have the content.

still, it would be nice if they made sure that new armor and weapons did not clip. at least that way they would only have clipping from the older armor and weapons to fix.

Charr are screwed regardless with anything that hangs and has physics due to their humpback and running on four legs. The only real solution is to change the attach/equip point for them to their lower back, but I'd image that would look pretty terrible for weapons. Not to mention that would only fix standing upright.

It's the same reason we don't have capes. They just don't work on Charr running or standing. There's no way they'll add collision detection for one race and I don't see them heavily modifying how the equipment works for one race, either.

But yeah, there are a ton of clipping issues, on every race. I don't think it will ever be fixed, either for old content or new stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom