• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian hardware NPD- Wii sells + 50K

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think predictions should be cut off if they aren't already.

Could we possibly see a 500K Wii month? I doubt it, as Canada just seems to be going bat shit insane for the thing.

Edit- someone last month had the usual Canadian percentage of U.S sales- anyone remember what that was? I want to say 12-13 percent.

360 doubled PS3 sales and still got trounced by the Wii.

Also, while Canada typically represents 9-11 percent, I doubt we'll see a direct translation with these numbers. Us Canadians have wholly embraced the Wii even over the DS, America has yet to do that.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
I really see no way that the Wii can not be #1 this gen.

laserbeam

Banned
MAY Canadian NPD

Wii: 37,300
DS: 35,900
PS2: 18,200
PSP: 15,000
360: 12,300
PS3: 6,500
GBA: 6,100

Wii exploded in sales and the GBA came back and sucker punched the Ps3

fallout

Using the rule of 10, that's 530k in the States. Given that Canada is Nintendoland (and going on my own memory of previous numbers), if we assume 7-8%, that's still 370k-420k.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shocked to see the Wii outselling even the DS... I knew this thing was gonna be big as soon as they showed the Wiimote, yet nobody on here wanted to believe.

DeaconKnowledge said:
360 doubled PS3 sales and still got trounced by the Wii.

Also, while Canada typically represents 9-11 percent, I doubt we'll see a direct translation with these numbers. Us Canadians have wholly embraced the Wii even over the DS, America has yet to do that.

How can we embrace the Wii when we can't find them?

I only got mine through a ridiculous bundle.

Edit: There are more Wiis/We's in my response than I've ever seen in person.

schuelma

What's even more amazing to me- 360 and PS3 basically sold the exact same despite having one week more to sell.

schuelma

Ok, so last month, Canadian sales were about 11.5 percent of U.S sales..so if that did hold true this month, that would equal about 465K U.S sales?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
All the Sony hardware combined doesn't even equal the DS's sales (45.5K vs. 46K), let alone Wii's. This is insane

Culex

Banned
schuelma said:
Ok, so last month, Canadian sales were about 11.5 percent of U.S sales..so if that did hold true this month, that would equal about 465K U.S sales?

I think it's all but garunteed that the Wii will sell AT LEAST 400k for June.

Remember, this is a 5 week sales period, and May numbers were a 4 week sales period, to put this in perspective.

schuelma

Culex said:
I think it's all but garunteed that the Wii will sell AT LEAST 400k for June.

Remember, this is a 5 week sales period, and May numbers were a 4 week sales period, to put this in perspective.

Oh definitely- they have been doing about 85K a week, so it should be at least 410K..but these numbers suggest it might go higher.

Lightning

Banned
This will hopefully be the last month the PS3 will have to go through these craptastic sales.

The Wii/DS sales are unbelieveable in Canada.

GhaleonEB

schuelma said:
Already posted in the software thread, but it will probably get lost.

Wii- 53K (!!!)
DS-46K
PS2-21K
PSP- 18K
360-13.5K
GBA- 8.8K
PS3-6.5K

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175362.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6175362

laserbeam said:
MAY Canadian NPD

Wii: 37,300
DS: 35,900
PS2: 18,200
PSP: 15,000
360: 12,300
PS3: 6,500
GBA: 6,100

Wii exploded in sales and the GBA came back and sucker punched the Ps3

PS3 flat despite the extra week - another month of under 100k in the US? (Probably the last one, as well.) 360 weekly sales continue to drop as well, which will make four straight months of declines if the US follows this trend. Wii is just a beast, and it looks like weekly shipments are up as well. NPD is going to be huge on Monday.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Lightning said:
This will hopefully be the last month the PS3 will have to go through these craptastic sales.

Even if it picks up another 50-75k a month, it's still sort of craptastic. Same for Microsoft. Nintendo's just slayin' em.

schuelma

GhaleonEB said:
PS3 flat despite the extra week - another month of under 100k in the US? (Probably the last one, as well.) 360 weekly sales continue to drop as well, which will make four straight months of declines if the US follows this trend. Wii is just a beast, and it looks like weekly shipments are up as well. NPD is going to be huge on Monday.

Yeah I noted that as well. Not a good trend at all. I think the PS3 price cut will help a bit, but it needs more than helping a bit. Microsoft might want to really consider a drop as well. Think they'll wait until after Halo 3?

FrankT

Lightning said:

The Wii/DS sales are unbelieveable in Canada.

This is doubting. They'll get a small uptick from the price cut, but $499 isn't going to get them anywhere near what they would like to be.

pr0cs

insane, those number are nuts. I don't understand it really but I guess it explains why I still haven't seen a Wii (live, retail or demo) .. ever...

Under the assumption that May was a four week month for NPD and June was five weeks:

May Canadian HW Sales (Weekly Avg.)
Wii: 9,325
DS: 8,975
PS2: 4,550
PSP: 3,750
360: 3,075
PS3: 1,625
GBA: 1,525

June Canadian HW Sales (Weekly Avg.)
Wii: 10,600
DS: 9,200
PS2: 4,200
PSP: 3,600
360: 2,700
PS3: 1,300
GBA: 1,760

%age Increase/Decrease in Avg. Weekly HW Sales from May to June
Wii: +13.7%
DS: +2.5%
PS2: -7.7%
PSP: -4.0%
360: -12.2%
PS3: -20.0%
GBA: +15.4%

schuelma

voodoojohn said:
Under the assumption that May was a four week month for NPD and June was five weeks:

Well done junior, nice contribution.

Top Bottom