• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian hardware NPD- Wii sells + 50K

GhaleonEB

schuelma said:
Yeah I noted that as well. Not a good trend at all. I think the PS3 price cut will help a bit, but it needs more than helping a bit. Microsoft might want to really consider a drop as well. Think they'll wait until after Halo 3?
In the US Sony needs to double sales to get up to about what Microsoft is doing, which still isn't that good. I think they'll double for the first month at least.

MS *needs* to cut price this year. If they do, it will be before the Thanksgiving holiday. They're also releasing the Halo 3 LE 360 in September (price unknown). If they drop in price, I'd imagine that SKU would be impacted as well. Would they release that at one price and then drop within 6-8 weeks? I doubt it. So I'm guessing a drop before that SKU releases, ahead of Halo 3.

Deku

Banned
I mentioned this in the original Canadian software thread. Nintendo platforms do better in Canada and the tend to sell 10-11% of the US market, as opposed to the 7% figure which is usually associated with the size of the Canadian market relative to the US.

If the 53k Wii sold represents 11% of US sales then 482k Wii sold in the USA

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Deku said:
I mentioned this in the original Canadian software thread. Nintendo platforms do better in Canada and the tend to sell 10-11% of the US market, as opposed to the 7% figure which is usually associated with the size of the Canadian market relative to the US.

11% of 53k Wii sold = 482k Wii sold in the USA

Which would be almost a 100K a week....wow.

GhaleonEB

voodoojohn said:
%age Increase/Decrease in Avg. Weekly HW Sales from May to June

Wii: +13.7%
DS: +2.5%

PS2: -7.7%
PSP: -4.0%
360: -12.2%
PS3: -20.0%
GBA: +15.4%
Nintendo up accross the board. Everyone else down. 0_o

Nice analysis, BTW.

schuelma

GhaleonEB said:
Nintendo up accross the board. Everyone else down. 0_o

Nice analysis, BTW.

As GAF's official ambassador can you tell Microsoft to stop effing around and drop the price already...I mean I guess to some extent they don't care as long as they're beating Sony, but man..they could at least make things interesting with Nintendo if they got down to 200/300.

Razoric

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Bigger earthquake then Dragon Quest IX in Japan confirmed ?

Never, ever underestimate the power of Americans and weight loss gimmicks. Everyone and their mother will be buying the Wii when that shit comes out (more so than they are already).

GhaleonEB

schuelma said:
As GAF's official ambassador can you tell Microsoft to stop effing around and drop the price already...I mean I guess to some extent they don't care as long as they're beating Sony, but man..they could at least make things interesting with Nintendo if they got down to 200/300.
I can tell you that I've made this suggestion as strongly as I can in the communication channels open to me. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Shepherd said:
I really see no way that the Wii can not be #1 this gen.

at this point it feels like the people saying 'ps3 is going to take over' are just like the people saying 'psp is going to take over'

god the comparision is hard not to make, I mean everyone always harps on about handheld and console being so different but

PSP - the mother of all handhelds, big fancy/expensive with longer development times
DS - cheap as ****

PS3 - the mother of all consoles, huge fancy/expensive games with long ass development times
Wii - you can see where I'm going with this.

voodoojohn said:
Under the assumption that May was a four week month for NPD and June was five weeks:

May Canadian HW Sales (Weekly Avg.)
Wii: 9,325
DS: 8,975
PS2: 4,550
PSP: 3,750
360: 3,075
PS3: 1,625
GBA: 1,525

June Canadian HW Sales (Weekly Avg.)
Wii: 10,600
DS: 9,200
PS2: 4,200
PSP: 3,600
360: 2,700
PS3: 1,300
GBA: 1,760

%age Increase/Decrease in Avg. Weekly HW Sales from May to June
Wii: +13.7%
DS: +2.5%
PS2: -7.7%
PSP: -4.0%
360: -12.2%
PS3: -20.0%
GBA: +15.4%

All Nintendo hardware went up, everything else down.

EDIT: Beaten......

schuelma

GhaleonEB said:
I can tell you that I've made this suggestion as strongly as I can in the communication channels open to me. :)

Good man :)

Combined with the recent uptick in Japanese Wii sales, it would seem to me that Nintendo has finally made a significant increase to their supply. We'll see on Monday I suppose.

milanbaros

Member?
I think wiifit has the biggest potential of any game bar none...ever, but then again it could be seen as a gimmick and sell like one.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
In the US Sony needs to double sales to get up to about what Microsoft is doing, which still isn't that good. I think they'll double for the first month at least.

MS *needs* to cut price this year. If they do, it will be before the Thanksgiving holiday. They're also releasing the Halo 3 LE 360 in September (price unknown). If they drop in price, I'd imagine that SKU would be impacted as well. Would they release that at one price and then drop within 6-8 weeks? I doubt it. So I'm guessing a drop before that SKU releases, ahead of Halo 3.

It's hard for me to come to an opinion on this. Do you really think a price drop before Halo 3 would push console sales that much? Part of me thinks that those folks that are purchasing a 360 for Halo 3 would buy one regardless of a price drop. It's just hard for me to imagine someone being "on the fence" about buying a 360 and Halo 3. Either you want it, or you don't. But then again, there are kids and parents and other variables that a price drop might appeal to.

I can imagine a price drop before Halo 3 launches as being sort of an insurance policy that MS takes out, to absolutely guarantee massive sales of Halo 3 - as if they weren't guaranteed already. But you get my point.

Haunted

That damn Wii keeps ****ing with my NPD predictions! I'm always lowballing it. >_<

GhaleonEB said:
Angry PM's to bigdaddy bell801?
;)

Deku

Banned
catfish said:
at this point it feels like the people saying 'ps3 is going to take over' are just like the people saying 'psp is going to take over'

god the comparision is hard not to make, I mean everyone always harps on about handheld and console being so different but

PSP - the mother of all handhelds, big fancy/expensive with longer development times
DS - cheap as ****

PS3 - the mother of all consoles, huge fancy/expensive games with long ass development times

Is it though? I think the general public's view of futuristic home appliance is more inline with how Nintendo designed the Wii than how Sony or MS did. If you want to talk about technology, yea, PS3 is most advanced, but the Japanese dominated the electronics industry mainly through their application of technology, most of those were invented by someone else. The bleeding edge race is a relatively new event, and insofar as video games consoles is concerned is largely driven by western companies Ati, Nvidia and Microsoft.

just tray

Banned
the wii and ds collectively outsold every system on the market. maybe the 360 should have had a price cut in january to counter the wii's momentum. and even then who's to say it would have been enough. what's amazing is that the wii doesnt really have a butt load of great games like the 360 has.

the ps3 is once again dead last. not that i'm suprised. how is the gameboy advance kicking the crap out of the ps3? at least the ps3 has a great 2008 lineup.

catfish said:

DS - cheap as ****

Then why did the GameCube get it ass whooped by PS2 and Xbox?

GhaleonEB

Cocopjojo said:
It's hard for me to come to an opinion on this. Do you really think a price drop before Halo 3 would push console sales that much? Part of me thinks that those folks that are purchasing a 360 for Halo 3 would buy one regardless of a price drop. It's just hard for me to imagine someone being "on the fence" about buying a 360 and Halo 3. Either you want it, or you don't. But then again, there are kids and parents and other variables that a price drop might appeal to.

I can imagine a price drop before Halo 3 launches as being sort of an insurance policy that MS takes out, to absolutely guarantee massive sales of Halo 3 - as if they weren't guaranteed already. But you get my point.
Just historically speaking, price drops have had a big impact on console sales. Getting the Core to $199 and the Premium to $299 would cause an upswing, independant of the software lineup. I think the timing of a drop close to the holidays and close to the release of the most important title to come to the system could have a larger effect than otherwise.

But who knows. I keep thinking MS is dropping the price, and they keep not dropping the price.

So many variables this fall.

All this talk about MS still not dropping the 360 price is silly with the impending release of Halo 3, as underwhelming as it may have been at E3. Wait 'til January for your price cut, I say.

tebunker

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Just historically speaking, price drops have had a big impact on console sales. Getting the Core to $199 and the Premium to $299 would cause an upswing, independant of the software lineup. I think the timing of a drop close to the holidays and close to the release of the most important title to come to the system could have a larger effect than otherwise.

But who knows. I keep thinking MS is dropping the price, and they keep not dropping the price.

So many variables this fall.

Well having to make up for the 1 Billion dollar investment to fix the hardware issues may be a big monkey on their back that keeps them from dropping the price too much. I could see a $50 drop, but not $100.

Razoric said:
Never, ever underestimate the power of Americans and weight loss gimmicks. Everyone and their mother will be buying the Wii when that shit comes out (more so than they are already).

Are the generalizations about Americans really necessary?

just tray

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
All this talk about MS still not dropping the 360 price is silly with the impending release of Halo 3, as underwhelming as it may have been at E3. Wait 'til January for your price cut, I say.

a holiday price drop would be a good choice. halo 3 would have already sold millions, it will sell millions more, and the 360 would be in a better spot. that and you have the best way to play gta4

schuelma

HAL_Laboratory said:
Are the generalizations about Americans really necessary?

I'm American and in this case the generalization is largely true in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Just historically speaking, price drops have had a big impact on console sales. Getting the Core to $199 and the Premium to $299 would cause an upswing, independant of the software lineup.

Ah... I've been thinking along the lines of a $50 price drop. If MS drops down $100, you're bloody right it'll have a big impact. Personally, I can't see that a drop like that happening, but yeah, it would do a world of good for MS, independent of Halo 3's pull.

But you're right - so many variables. An MS price drop is definately possible, and I'm very interested to see how 360's strong software lineup fares against the Wii's nongame draw + hardcore (Smash, Galaxy) lineup.

Threi

notag
Crossing Streams: North American Edition

when will Wii's Canadian sales meet with PS3's US sales? =O

oh snap beaten =(

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
GhaleonEB said:
PS3 flat despite the extra week - another month of under 100k in the US? (Probably the last one, as well.) 360 weekly sales continue to drop as well, which will make four straight months of declines if the US follows this trend. Wii is just a beast, and it looks like weekly shipments are up as well. NPD is going to be huge on Monday.
I don't think NPD uses retailer calendar in Canada.
GameSpot said:
The industry-tracking firm reported that Canadian retail gaming sales amounted to $79.5 million in January, a 55-percent jump over the January period from the year before. But where the US numbers covered five weeks of sales instead of the usual four, NPD's Canadian numbers only reflect sales during the calendar month of January, so year-over-year comparisons are more relevant.
http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/thelegendofzelda/news.html?sid=6166203

GhaleonEB said:

Let's hope they listen, looking at the numbers it does not take a highly paid analyst to realise something has to be changed...

Official May American HW #'s
WII: 338,278
NDS: 423,150
PS2 187,765
PSP 221,120
360 154,932
PS3 81,604
GBA 80,554

Now let's divide by four (weeks), apply the percentage increases/decreases we saw in Canada, and then multiply by five (weeks).

Projected June American HW #'s
WII: 480,778
NDS: 542,161
PS2: 216,634
PSP: 265,344
360: 170,038
PS3: 81,604
GBA: 116,199

Psychotext said:
So who wants to do the maths on estimated US numbers based on how last months went? :D

It ranges from 453k in April to 480k in May to 621k in February and 679k in January (we didn't get hardware sales for Canada and March). Definitely looks like 400-500k for the USA.

And btw.: wow @ the Canadian sales.

Ridiculous as the Wii numbers are, just as ridiculous is the failure of the 2 powerhouses. Talk about misreading the market here. Or better: how brilliant Nintendo's strategy has been. I wonder who (or what team) came up with this whole Wii idea.

Top Bottom