• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian hardware NPD- Wii sells + 50K

Beef

46a0131da13a8.gif

schuelma said:
Already posted in the software thread, but it will probably get lost.

Wii- 53K (!!!)
DS-46K
PS2-21K
PSP- 18K
360-13.5K
GBA- 8.8K
PS3-6.5K

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6175362.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6175362

Xirj

B-Rad Lascelle said:
I've been dead set against a pre-Halo 3 price drop for the X360... but I think a 'price adjustment' <ahem> might be warranted for Canada to come in line with the recent currency parity between the Canuck Buck and the Yankee Doodle Dollar.

Something along the lines of adopting US-equivalent retail pricing (i.e. $299 Core, $399 Pro, $479 Elite) in Canadian dollars. The constant bundling promos via Future Shop and Best Buy clearly aren't moving systems.

I agree with you completely, our ambassador to MS should at least take note of this. 399 USD is 416.26 CAD.

Speevy

Banned
Am I the only one who's disappointed that we're not getting North American hardware sales today?

Seems like they should come today, anyway.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No one talking about the software yet?

Canada's top 10 best-selling games for June 2007:

1. Mario Party 8--Wii
2. Wii Play with Wii Remote--Wii
3. Pokémon Diamond--DS
4. Value Pack (included games vary)--Xbox
5. Forza Motorsport 2--Xbox 360
6. Pokémon Pearl--DS
7. Guitar Hero II with guitar--Xbox 360
8. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition--Wii
9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess--Wii
10. Super Paper Mario--Wii

Sharp

omg rite said:

1. Mario Party 8--Wii
3. Pokémon Diamond--DS
6. Pokémon Pearl--DS
No numbers = no interest and these days we get **** all when it comes to software anyway.

Innotech

Banned
AzureNightmareXE said:
enjoy the moment, cause as of right now, the Wii is ever so close to tieing the 360 in worldwide sales.

yeah is was approaching 9 million in June. It may be nearing 10 million already, especially with those crazy Japan sales. I really dont think Nintendo expected this kind of success. They probably expected it to sell a bit better than Gamecube. I remember them saying as long as it outsells gamecube it will be considered a success. the goddamned thing is almost halfway there in 8 months!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Innotech said:
yeah is was approaching 9 million in June. It may be nearing 10 million already, especially with those crazy Japan sales. I really dont think Nintendo expected this kind of success. They probably expected it to sell a bit better than Gamecube. I remember them saying as long as it outsells gamecube it will be considered a success. the goddamned thing is almost halfway there in 8 months!

Yeah, it is shocking overall.

The Wii sold 3/4ths of gamecube's Japan numbers within 1/7th of the time.

It sold 1/2 of the Gamecube lifetime sales in 8 months, which is way ahead of schedule.

donny2112

The Wii will be at ~9 million throught June once NPD numbers come in. The 360 will be a hair under 10 million at that point.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This would seem like a pretty dire situation if it weren't for the fact that Sony has a 10 year plan (thank GOD).

Sharp

Oblivion said:
This would seem like a pretty dire situation if it weren't for the fact that Sony has a 10 year plan (thank GOD).
In Canada maybe. US numbers could be very different. Keep an open mind and all that.

donny2112

Hcoregamer00 said:
What the the worldwide numbers as of April?

By my reckoning,

End of April:
360 - 9.3 million
WII - 6.9 million
PS3 - 3.1 million

I'm estimating PAL/Other numbers by what information we get, which is surprisingly a lot when you put it all together. Other than that, everything is known except for March Canadian numbers.

Hcoregamer00

donny2112 said:
By my reckoning,

End of April:
360 - 9.3 million
WII - 6.9 million
PS3 - 3.1 million

I'm estimating PAL/Other numbers by what information we get, which is surprisingly a lot when you put it all together. Other than that, everything is known except for March Canadian numbers.

I thought the Wii already hit the 8 million mark by april?

darscot

In case anyone is wondering what spawned the sales jump. Its the you passed or got good grades gift. I know a bunch of Moms that grabbed a Wii for there kids doing well in school.

Hcoregamer00

darscot said:
In case anyone is wondering what spawned the sales jump. Its the you passed or got good grades gift. I know a bunch of Moms that grabbed a Wii for there kids doing well in school.

Damn, whose parents are those because I never got a "good grades gift" throughout school.

darscot said:

I really don't understand this mentality. Reawrding a kid with a videogame console for doing well is probably the surest way to ensure that his grades go in the shitter by next semester.

I should know, it happened to me. :(

Sharp

darscot said:
I suppose it's as good an explanation as any.

laserbeam

Banned
BigJonsson said:
I bought a DS this month

Soon my purchase will appear on neogaf in number form

lol when I bought my DS in june the first thing that happened was I smirked and said damn im gonna make some sony fan cry by that extra ds added to the total and I felt so good.

Saint Gregory said:
How can we embrace the Wii when we can't find them?

I only got mine through a ridiculous bundle.

Edit: There are more Wiis/We's in my response than I've ever seen in person.

Where do you live? My co-worker easily found one and two days later I did likewise...

TJ Spyke

Confirmed Wii numbers:

North America (mostly just US and Canada, bout does include the first week of sales in Mexico and Central America, but is missing March numbers for Canada): 3,174,280 as of July 7 (that includes Canada sales for June, not US since we get those on Monday)
Japan: 3,059,633 as of July 15
Europe (obviously not as good as the other territories in terms of reports): 2 million as of April 13 (the last time we got actual numbers)
Australia: 106,538 as of June 30/New Zealand: 6,000 as of May 30

laserbeam

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
Confirmed Wii numbers:

North America (mostly just US and Canada, bout does include the first week of sales in Mexico and Central America, but is missing March numbers for Canada): 3,174,280 as of July 7 (that includes Canada sales for June, not US since we get those on Monday)
Japan: 3,059,633 as of July 15
Europe (obviously not as good as the other territories in terms of reports): 2 million as of April 13 (the last time we got actual numbers)
Australia: 106,538 as of June 30/New Zealand: 6,000 as of May 30

source?

Zzoram

Expect Canadian July numbers to show GBA > PS3 again, even with the PS3 price drop. Why? It seems EBGames across Canada (although not all of them, but some in Calgary and Ontario) have a GBA (Micro) sale to $29.99 and GBA SP is $29.99 at some stores too. Looks like they're clearing stock since most people would otherwise opt for the DS Lite which can play GBA games anyways for $50 more (over the regular GBA price).

donny2112

TJ Spyke said:

Except PAL/Other had only been shipped 1.47 million by March 31. And Nintendo only said that they had sold 2 million in EU by mid-June. And, yeah. :D

omg rite said:

1. Mario Party 8--Wii
3. Pokémon Diamond--DS
6. Pokémon Pearl--DS

The hell? This must be 360, right?

darscot said:

Wii sells out no matter what, this makes no sense.

Sharp

Drensch said:
Guitar Hero Wii numbers will be real interesting come this fall.
Guitar Hero is exactly the kind of franchise that the Wii was made for. Expect it to put up enormous numbers, along with every other version 'cause it's GUITAR HERO.

Sharp said:
Guitar Hero is exactly the kind of franchise that the Wii was made for. Expect it to put up enormous numbers, along with every other version 'cause it's GUITAR HERO.

I'm kind of surprised that Activision haven't shown the Wii version yet.

Sharp

GrimReaper said:
I'm kind of surprised that Activision haven't shown the Wii version yet.
This is one case where I don't think anyone will care if it's a straight PS2 port, though apparently it's also incorporating online play.

laserbeam

Banned
Sharp said:
This is one case where I don't think anyone will care if it's a straight PS2 port, though apparently it's also incorporating online play.

yep its supposed to have all the features of the PS3 and 360 so im wondering how the DLC will go. might be holding off showing it if Nintendo has a storage announcement to make

TJ Spyke

laserbeam said:

The sources are listed at Wikipedia (I helped get the Wii article up to featured status and was the one who updated the numbers on a regular basis until I stopped editing last week), but basically:
North America numbers are from NPD reports
Japan from Media Create
Europe number from this http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5228&Itemid=2 (the same report announcing Wii had hit 2 million in Japan and 6.5 million worldwide)
Australia from here http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=8088&rss=1&title=Gfk+reveals+console+sales+numbers+for+Australia
New Zealand from here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10434410&pnum=2 (so I was wrong about NZ's date, the New Zealand number is as of April 16. )

AniHawk

Sharp said:

On a slightly related note, the PS2 version was recently priced at $89.99 instead of $99.99 like earlier.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
That seems like A LOT for Canada wow. I don't think the US NPD's will reflect the normal relative percentages, but if it does.. LOOK THE F*CK OUT.

Top Bottom