• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deal is back. Coupon is Spring2016.

main page for the 750se: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/desktops/hp-envy-750se-desktop-n3g97av-aba-1
customization page: http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1029657&quantity=1

--

edit3:
There's a few decent round-ups of this machine on reddit. E.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsa..._hp_envy_750se_desktop_i76700_2tb_hdd/czgrpy2

Also it seems quite a few people have had success pulling everything out and putting it in a new case.

edit: looks like it's US-only

"I am sorry, Fabio but we only accept methods of payment issued from US banks only and orders must ship to a physical address in the US as well.

Unfortunately, we do not have an option to ship out outside of the 50 states of the US."

Well fuck.

also

They actually have two HP Envy models it seems. The one that says Windows 7 in the title won't let you put in a 980ti, but the windows 10 one will.

So after some research I found out the Coupon is for 30% off any customizable desktop $1199 or more

--

Figured some might be interested in this. This is making the rounds on the VR subreddits. Coupon is PDS30DT.

main page for the 750se: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/desktops/hp-envy-750se-desktop-n3g97av-aba-1
customization page: http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1029657&quantity=1

b1e73429_o.png

CHC

That is an outrageously good deal, I honestly think you'd be hard pressed to beat it building your own equivalent PC.

newsguy

So for a complete PC gaming noob, how good will games look with this rig? I have a home theater (1080p) and sometimes I find console gaming lacking graphically. Many games look great at 60" but blur a bit when blown up to front projection sizes. If I can get 1:1 pixel mapping with better settings I imagine games will look more crisp. The reason I've held off on getting a PC (other than price) is the big power draw. I'm afraid I'll blow something with all the power being used between the components, PC and projector.

Be wary of the PSU and Motherboard.

Its likely to be proprietary HP...

That's what I'm worried about.

If I can't change those in the future, then I can just find those same necessary parts to this custom model (as well as finding my own PSU & the motherboard) & have someone build it for me.

OraleeWey

So for a complete PC gaming noob, how good will games look with this rig? I have a home theater (1080p) and sometimes I find console gaming lacking graphically. Many games look great at 60" but blur a bit when blown up to front projection sizes. If I can get 1:1 pixel mapping with better settings I imagine games will look more crisp. The reason I've held off on getting a PC (other than price) is the big power draw. I'm afraid I'll blow something with all the power being used between the components, PC and projector.

980ti is among the best video cards. So it will handle high/ultra on almost any game at 1080p.

Just keep in mind that some games like The Witcher 3 and GTA V cannot be maxed out yet no matter what rig you have. Turning down some "performance killer" settings and you'll be okay.

I'd personally recommend spending the extra on the i7 6700K, it appears to add $70. Not for overclocking potential but because it's base clock is 4.0Ghz compared to 3.4Ghz.

Cyldman

Banned
"I am sorry, Fabio but we only accept methods of payment issued from US banks only and orders must ship to a physical address in the US as well.

Unfortunately, we do not have an option to ship out outside of the 50 states of the US."

Well fuck.

UnrealEck

"HP Envy"
Yeah I fucking envy you guys for getting this so cheap. My PC has the same spec (much faster RAM though and better case and a small SSD) and cost me more than this in Pounds Sterling.

That's kinda cheap. I'd sell all of the HP gear instantly and replace it with something more reliable though personally.

"HP Envy"
Yeah I fucking envy you guys for getting this so cheap. My PC has the same spec and cost me more than this in Pounds Sterling.

Yeah and this, owning a PC in the UK is basically a greenlight to get shafted on prices.

CHC

Anyone who wants this and is interested in overclocking later should probably spring for 6700K for 100 bucks more. It'll give you some legs in 3 or 4 years.

Definitely jealous I don't have 1200 bucks laying around though, this is a great deal.

UnrealEck

Looking a bit closer it's not as good as I had thought at first. The motherboard will not be a great overclocker and the case will be pretty crappy. The RAM is also the slowest DDR4 I think you can get. The PSU is only 500W which might just cut it and not leave room for much else.
But still, great spec if it works even at stock clocks.

I assume when talking US prices, people just omit the sales tax completely. So pretty much typically when someone says something costs $200 they're talking before tax? Is that a fair assumption?

Looking a bit closer it's not as good as I had thought at first. The motherboard will not be a great overclocker and the case will be pretty crappy. The RAM is also the slowest DDR4 I think you can get. The PSU is only 500W which might just cut it and not leave room for much else.

I assume when talking US prices, people just omit the sales tax completely. So pretty much typically when someone says something costs $200 they're talking before tax? Is that a fair assumption?

Yes, sales tax can be anywhere between 10%-0% depending where you live. As far as online retailers go, it has been changing but in the past if they do not have a physical presence in your state, they wouldn't be required to collect sales tax.

bomblord1

Banned

You can't overclock the i7-6700 either way. What's wrong with the case it seems pretty good? The difference between the slowest and fastest DDR4 RAM can be measured in 1-3FPS in most tests.

Finally, for a prebuilt a 500W PSU should be fine. As long as you don't intend to upgrade the GPU to an SLI or a Titan in the future you should be fine to swap it out later.

Either way the 980ti and i7-6700 are a minimum of $900 by themselves are you saying you can fit a better Mobo, Case, PSU, and RAM in that for $227?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You can't overclock the i7-6700 either way. What's wrong with the case it seems pretty good? The difference between the slowest and fastest DDR4 RAM can be measured in 1-3FPS in most tests.

Finally, for a prebuilt a 500W PSU should be fine. As long as you don't intend to upgrade the GPU to an SLI or a Titan in the future you should be fine to swap it out later.

Either way the 980ti and i7-6700 are a minimum of $900 by themselves are you saying you can fit a better Mobo, Case, PSU, and RAM in that for $227?

My issue with PSU's in pre built PC's is the +12V rail(s). I assume its fine in this tho since it has the 980Ti in it. I havent upgraded a PC in ages so my concerns are probably moot in 2016. Yea the price on this is extremely tempting. Damn....

God damn, if we weren't paying off credit cards, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat. For gaming right now, does DDR4 really offer that much of an improvement on DDR3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom