• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nipo

So i bought a similar deal back in december (same computer but with the 6700k). If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, don't forget you can knock another $50-60 off the price with cash back offers. For awhiel Jet.com was offering 5% cashback which was enough to pick up a cheap SSD.

DMTripper

So for a complete PC gaming noob, how good will games look with this rig? I have a home theater (1080p) and sometimes I find console gaming lacking graphically. Many games look great at 60" but blur a bit when blown up to front projection sizes. If I can get 1:1 pixel mapping with better settings I imagine games will look more crisp. The reason I've held off on getting a PC (other than price) is the big power draw. I'm afraid I'll blow something with all the power being used between the components, PC and projector.

They will look fucking sweet!

I play with a GTX 960 and I5 4590 and games like the witcher 3 look amazing on a 50inch TV :)

fertygo

God damn, if we weren't paying off credit cards, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat. For gaming right now, does DDR4 really offer that much of an improvement on DDR3?

Not really

but DDR3 most likely gone within a 2 year, so..

Its price already same.

ZVCZ6vI.png

Tried multiple times, can't get an order in.

What is the discount code from? Wonder if it's not supposed to be for general use and they've taken it down, or if they are just being flooded right now.

Jonboy

To a PC noob...what's wrong with the case? Just from an aesthetic point of view or could it somehow affect the performance (cooling?).

Be wary of the PSU and Motherboard.

Its likely to be propitiatory HP...
Same here...what's the big risk? More likely to fail?

To a PC noob...what's wrong with the case? Just from an aesthetic point of view or could it somehow affect the performance (cooling?).

Possible compatibility issues with the motherboard if you ever wanted to upgrade parts.

PSUs can vary wildly in stability and actual power delivered regardless of the advertised wattage, but as someone mentioned if it's running a 980ti it's probably OK.

500W PSU tho? feels tight and my only objection to pre-builts is an inability to upgrade those kinds of components because they tend to be non-standard in shape. that and things like the CPU can never be overclocked.

BUT...trading that for a real warranty on the whole thing by buying pre-built is probably worth it. I'm still working with my pre-built 2009 Dell i7-920.

Well, I got an order in. We'll see if they actually go through. I want to know where the discount code came from, 'cause it seems to automatically add a business number to your address when you use it.

UnrealEck

You can't overclock the i7-6700 either way. What's wrong with the case it seems pretty good? The difference between the slowest and fastest DDR4 RAM can be measured in 1-3FPS in most tests.
I was referring to the optional K model CPU.
My comment on the RAM as well as some of the other things was me giving reasons as to why the system isn't as good as I had initially thought. That's all I was saying. I glanced at it being under $1200 for a DDR4, Core i7 6700, 980 Ti system without taking a detailed look at it. I was commenting more about my initial impression of what you're getting for your money.

Either way the 980ti and i7-6700 are a minimum of $900 by themselves are you saying you can fit a better Mobo, Case, PSU, and RAM in that for $227?

No, I'm not saying that.

Elixist

The system won't even draw 400W under load. Only question is the noise but we also don't know what 980Ti and CPU cooler they use so it's a gamble anyway in that regard.

yep. these kinds of questions are real and temps. wouldnt of bought without 30 day guarantee.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The system won't even draw 400W under load. Only question is the noise but we also don't know what 980Ti and CPU cooler they use so it's a gamble anyway in that regard.

Yea forgot about that....Damn you HP and this price!!! lol.

Hasney

yep. these kinds of questions are real and temps. wouldnt of bought without 30 day guarantee.

Even then though, at this price, it's worth getting and throwing some custom coolers on. I think this is a bit less than buying all the parts at this point. Hell, you could probably get someone else to install it and charge labour and you'd still have savings.

Guys, if you're gonna OC that chip, don't bite this yet just on impulse before knowing that mainboard's power phase. Those 2 sticks of RAM are low end/entry level DDR4 sticks as well. PSU is okay, will punch above weight under load, with CPU+GPU OC, assuming it's 80+.

bomblord1

Banned
I was referring to the optional K model CPU.
My comment on the RAM as well as some of the other things was me giving reasons as to why the system isn't as good as I had initially thought. That's all I was saying. I glanced at it being under $1200 for a DDR4, Core i7 6700, 980 Ti system without taking a detailed look at it. I was commenting more about my initial impression of what you're getting for your money.

No, I'm not saying that.

Alright lol I understand now.

I was thinking more about future expansion than present load needs. I'm sure it's andequate for a 980Ti, but what about a 1080Ti tomorrow? Or whatever is out in a year or two when you want to upgrade?

I say this because it's the situation I ran into with my old Dell desktop. It came with a "just enough" PSU for what at the time was a decent GPU with "just enough" connectors to connect everything in the case + the 2 or 3 open slots. I ended up having to cut the case to upgrade the PSU because it was a non-standard shape and didn't have enough connectors for the new GPUs.

So in my opinion, I do not suggest hand-waving the details on that PSU. But I will say again that you won't know until you try and HP has a good return policy. And again, the opportunity to get the whole system under a single warranty should be enough for anyone to strongly consider this purchase.

Guys, if you're gonna OC that chip, don't bite this yet just on impulse before knowing that mainboard's power phase. Those 2 sticks of RAM are low end/entry level DDR4 sticks as well. PSU is okay, will punch above weight under load, with CPU+GPU OC, assuming it's 80+.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the CPU can be OC'd. In fact, don't buy it at all if that's something you want to do. It's an impossibility on most pre-builts and there's no reason to assume this one is any different.

Is it worth it to spring for the 500GB SSD or should I just get that separately? I already have a 2TB regular hard drive I can put in this.

Hasney

Yeah I'd like to know too. Also dumb question, but could I swap out the main HDD with a 1GB SSD easily?

Not really with the RAM unless you end up doing insane things. Not for games really.

HDD wouldn't even need swapping out, they'll take up different bays (HDD is 3.5", SSD 2,5"). Have all the storage!

Jezbollah

There's always a risk there - perhaps bigger given it's HP made. The big concern would be lack of upgrading options going forward. It's likely the case, motherboard and PSU are not standard form factor or have the standard connectors to be able to swap out with newer faster parts in the long term.

ToD_

It is super tempting to jump on this deal, but my overclocked 2500k with 970 will probably last me another year. I did forward this to a friend, however, who bought it immediately.

Zapages

Will it be possible to add another hard drive to it? I have 1.5 TB hard drive which I could make it to be be the main hard drive.

bomblord1

Banned
Someone tell me the potential downsides of this build before I hit purchase on this.

It might be too good :p

Main downsides are upgrade ability in the future but atm it's absolutely top of the line hardware (make sure you select the gtx 980ti in the options) so it will be quite a while before you need to upgrade.

The case size, mobo, and PSU will be your main concerns.

Pagusas

Elden Member
hell, this could be worth it just for the GPU, processor and ram, throw the mobo out the window once you get it and buy a decent one. You'd still be great on budget.

If it's still available at the end of the day I guess I'll cop. Anyone know an additional way to get money off? Cash back on a credit card perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom