• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HP custom desktop (i7-6700, 980Ti, 16GB Ram, 2TB HDD, 500W) for $1127 with coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomblord1

Banned
...I could buy this and take out the RAM, GPU, HDD, and CPU to use in my Desktop for less than I could buy those components...

npa189

I doubt the motherboard is proprietary. What's in in for HP to do that? I bet it's a rebranded gigabyte board. I had an Acer years ago that I migrated to a new case and I used the manual for a similar gigabyte board after some forum searching and it worked fine. YMMV but its not 1998 anymore.

Are there any real concerns about the PSU/cooling/mobo? I ask because I have an order for a less-good but more-expensive machine in with another site that I can cancel. But all the parts in that build are reliably brand-name stuff.

I am about five minutes from pulling the trigger on this.

For future reference. How much of a bitch is it to pull the CPU out of a mobo and put it in a new one? Probably won't do that any time soon, but I'm curious.

bomblord1

Banned
Are there any real concerns about the PSU/cooling/mobo? I ask because I have an order for a less-good but more-expensive machine in with another site that I can cancel. But all the parts in that build are reliably brand-name stuff.

I am about five minutes from pulling the trigger on this.

Just grab the warranty.

For future reference. How much of a bitch is it to pull the CPU out of a mobo and put it in a new one? Probably won't do that any time soon, but I'm curious.

Not sure why you would the i7-6700 is the best CPU you can get aside from the 6700K atm. Now how easy is it? You pop out the pins on the cooler, remove the cooler, and flip up the bar holding it in place. Then just gently remove the CPU.

Putting in the new CPU you place the CPU in the socket (make sure it's the right orientations or you will bend the pins or worse), apply some new thermal paste, and then put the cooler back on.

They have been having similar deals to this for a couple of months. I mentioned the price difference with the 4790, but what I forgot to mention is that a lot of those people had to wait months to get their system. HP knocked some cost off for those who waited, but some waited almost two months.

US people should be checking places like slickdeals for things like this. They even had their own special rebate on HP desktops like this during the holiday season.

Jonboy

Will this have any problem running gamecube/wii games at 1080p on Dolphin? I know Dolphin's performance mainly depends on the CPU.

If you're careful, it's not hard. Basically the last step is pressing down a tab to unseat the CPU and pulling it out.

Getting to it might require removing all the other components on your motherboard though, which is the real pain.

Will this have any problem running gamecube/wii games at 1080p on Dolphin? I know Dolphin's performance mainly depends on the CPU.

Get the K version of the CPU, at 4.0 GHz base clock you should run Dolphin just fine. With the 980ti, you can really push the graphics too!

Also smarter to buy a display separately, right?

Typically yes. ASUS / Dell / BenQ are my monitor recommendations.

KrellRell

omg, this timing is perfect. I spent the last two days pricing out a build, and here is how good this deal is.

The builds I priced out, all canadian dollars work out to ~$2300 + tax or $2600 with tax. The builds I made would have slightly better ram and mobo, also a ssd for the OS.

This HP works out to $1700. So nearly $1000 in savings. I'm a bit concerned with the 500 watt psu, but should be alright? Unreal, hitting this up.

Guys... I bought it... Time to join the PC master race.
Upgraded to the 6700k, 980ti, and added a main SSD... Still only $1300.

Now I gotta switch some preorders to the PC version, lol.

Edit: and with this post, I'm a member!!!! Woo-hoo no more Junior status!

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member

Nope. It's probably the best desktop CPU you can get atm.

Elixist

They have been having similar deals to this for a couple of months. I mentioned the price difference with the 4790, but what I forgot to mention is that a lot of those people had to wait months to get their system. HP knocked some cost off for those who waited, but some waited almost two months.

US people should be checking places like slickdeals for things like this. They even had their own special rebate on HP desktops like this during the holiday season.

were people happy with their machines? temps and watnot

Guys... I bought it... Time to join the PC master race.
Upgraded to the 6700k, 980ti, and added a main SSD... Still only $1300.

Now I gotta switch some preorders to the PC version, lol.

Edit: and with this post, I'm a member!!!! Woo-hoo no more Junior status!

Don't put your games on the SSD if you are low on space after the OS and all. Most games don't see terribly huge load time increases from it.

But with that setup, you're set for years to come really.

So i bought a similar deal back in december (same computer but with the 6700k). If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, don't forget you can knock another $50-60 off the price with cash back offers. For awhiel Jet.com was offering 5% cashback which was enough to pick up a cheap SSD.

Pic of the actual pc? If i can finance with no interest i think i will order one.

low-G

Man o man, that is the sort of deal that inspires jealousy. Obviously you could get a way better case, SSD, and all that, but the savings...

Instro

Heck of a deal. Is be mildly concerned about the quality of components, and the case is probably a bit poop, but otherwise that is a real steal.

bomblord1

Banned
Just tried to customize the 980ti is no longer available. 970 is the next best option final price is $917 with the 970.

Edit: And now it is lolwut.

Being broke is a struggle. Might just go full pc only and sell my xbox one and ps4. The ps4 is the gold Taco Bell one so i could get a premium price for sure.

nubbe

I'm a bit concerned with the 500 watt psu, but should be alright? Unreal, hitting this up.

absolutely enough
Most PC dot even draw 400w
People don't calculate their W budget and spend way more on the PSU than they need

If HP does not calculate the W budget, they will have a hellish time with customer support

jaaz

I bought one. Upgraded to 6700k, 980ti (obviously) and 256g SSD for the OS. Will buy a 500g SSD for games, seeing they are roughly $150 right now. At $1300, nothing comes close.

Horohoro

This deal has been available fairly often and about 4-5 times over the past year in slightly varying discounts I got this same setup ordered for a client back in November for 1187. So keep your eyes open it'll probably be around again.

BruceCLea

Banned
Choo choo im on the PC train motherfuckers!
Bye bye Xbox! Can I hook this up to my 4K 40inch Samsung TV?
Not to play games in 4K, just checking compatibility.

(I have no idea what I'm doing with PC) ha

I'd like to see a pic too.
Google says it's this:

ann_envyDesktop_gallery_thumb01.jpg

I pulled the trigger! Went up to the 6700K and added an SSD and warranty. Still insanely cheap.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I could pretty much fly to the US, pick one up and fly back to the UK for less than it'd cost to buy that equivalent spec over here :/

Jonboy

Just tried to customize the 980ti is no longer available. 970 is the next best option final price is $917 with the 970.

Edit: And now it is lolwut.

They actually have two HP Envy models it seems. The one that says Windows 7 in the title won't let you put in a 980ti, but the windows 10 one will.

Anyone who wants this and is interested in overclocking later should probably spring for 6700K for 100 bucks more. It'll give you some legs in 3 or 4 years.

Definitely jealous I don't have 1200 bucks laying around though, this is a great deal.
The mobo will probably not let you overclock as currently setup and the PSU certainly won't be enough as well.

HP has has a few deals like this the last few months. From everything I have read the mobo and PSU are not good at all. Also, the case is very cramped and makes upgrading nearly impossible.

I am sure its a great machine minus the usual HP bloat but you will want to upgrade the mobo asap which means you will also need a new PSU, and a new case, and SSD. So in the end you are probably spending the same as you would just by building your own.

I do not have a high opinion of HP PCs, after owning several. They offer tempting deals, but you usually pay for it in build quality or something else.

I remember one of them had a bad power supply, so I went to replace it, but it was an odd size and required these rails you slide in to position it. So I checked HP, and they didn't have a straight replacement part, I'd have to get to an approved service location, where they could swap it out with something weaker for a high cost.

That's just one older example, but after a series of progressively worse desktops, their craptops, and hearing it said by someone who works at the company, I don't trust their build quality anymore, and would personally recommend against it.

CHC

The mobo will probably not let you overclock as currently setup and the PSU certainly won't be enough as well.

HP has has a few deals like this the last few months. From everything I have read the mobo and PSU are not good at all. Also, the case is very cramped and makes upgrading nearly impossible.

I am sure its a great machine minus the usual HP bloat but you will want to upgrade the mobo asap which means you will also need a new PSU, and a new case, and SSD. So in the end you are probably spending the same as you would just by building your own.

Yeah if overclocking is your deal I guess it's best to skip this all around, once you're replacing the mobo then it's pretty much just a new PC, which is kind of silly.

Regardless this an EXCELLENT deal for just a regular ass PC gamer like myself, or many others in this thread. Personally I couldn't really care at all about overclocking or about the brand of the RAM, etc. It's a 6700 and 980Ti - still a great rig. HP stuff is generally quite good quality, I think worries about the mobo and PSU are probably unfounded. Plus it's an actual established desktop manufacturer and they will probably support the product if anything goes catastrophically wrong, which is a nice plus.

KrellRell

absolutely enough
Most PC dot even draw 400w
People don't calculate their W budget and spend way more on the PSU than they need

If HP does not calculate the W budget, they will have a hellish time with customer support

Good to know, I was only going off of NVIDIAs rec which is 600W +.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the CPU can be OC'd. In fact, don't buy it at all if that's something you want to do. It's an impossibility on most pre-builts and there's no reason to assume this one is any different.

I thought that Skylake loophole on mainboards using old or custom BIOS, allows you to OC non-K variants, for which Intel were crying about a while ago. Is that fixed now on new revisions of these boards?

Nipo

You can play most games at 4k if you don't mind turning down some settings. I was playing the division beta in 4k and it was great.

Yeah if overclocking is your deal I guess it's best to skip this all around, once you're replacing the mobo then it's pretty much just a new PC, which is kind of silly.

Regardless this an EXCELLENT deal for just a regular ass PC gamer like myself, or many others in this thread. Personally I couldn't really care at all about overclocking or about the brand of the RAM, etc. It's a 6700 and 980Ti - still a great rig. HP stuff is generally quite good quality, I think worries about the mobo and PSU are probably unfounded. Plus it's an actual established desktop manufacturer and they will probably support the product if anything goes catastrophically wrong, which is a nice plus.
This is exactly how I feel. I have zero intentions to OC or upgrade it. I want it to last me around 3 years, then I'll buy a new PC. For 1,300, that's a great deal to me.

knitoe

not even an unlocked CPU and no SSD.

You do have the option to pay more for K CPU and SSD, but given the MB probably won't allow any overclocking, getting a K CPU wouldn't be worth it. The SSD probably is a cheaper and slower performing one too. That's the problem with buying prebuilt. You only know the CPU and GPU. Everything else is probably cheap grade.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member

Just connect your PC to your TV via HDMI and you're good to go. And you can also play games in 4k, the 980Ti is a beast of a GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom