• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women who speak in vocal fry perceived as incompetent and less hirable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you like vocal fry?

DURHAM, N.C. -- Women exhibiting a low-pitched, creaky voice known as "vocal fry" are considered less competent, educated, trustworthy, attractive and hirable, according to research from Duke University's Fuqua School of Business.

In a study of males and females exhibiting the tone, Fuqua professors Bill Mayew and Mohan Venkatachalam, along with Duke research scientist Rindy Anderson and University of Miami professor Casey Klofstad, discovered that vocal fry is perceived negatively in both sexes, but that women are perceived more negatively than men when they use it.

"One possible reason for this is that a lowered register is seen as more atypical for women than men," Mayew said. "What was even more interesting is that female listeners perceive vocal fry more negatively than male listeners."

The findings, reported in a paper titled, "Vocal Fry May Undermine the Success of Young Women in the Labor Market," appear in the May edition of PLOS ONE.

Vocal fry among young American women has grown in recent years, Mayew said. The researchers hypothesized that the popularity of vocal fry could be a result of perceived social benefits or because young women think a deep voice is seen as more dominant and that could lead to success in the workplace.

The researchers conducted an experiment using 800 online listeners split evenly between men and women. The listeners were randomly assigned to listen to either seven male voices or seven female voices that alternated between vocal fry and normal tones of voice. The listeners were then asked to judge the examples for competence, education, trustworthiness and attractiveness.

The experiment found a strong aversion to voices exhibiting vocal fry, particularly among women.

"In a standard interview setting, gut instinct plays a large role in whether a candidate is hired," Venkatachalam said. "Vocal fry could sway that judgment against a candidate."

Given the barriers women already face in the workplace, "These results suggest that women should avoid vocal fry to maximize their chances of success in the labor market," Mayew said.

Source: http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/news_events/news-releases/1034232/#.U4nAPC9Yy-8
Study: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0097506

Is the guy version of that like Bill Lumbergh?

bosses%207.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
All the girls that go to Elon University from Maryland and Pennsylvania talk like that. I just called it the Like Omigawd syndrome. If this study gets it to die, then hallelujah! I hate that shit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm against prejudice in all its forms, but if they don't know how stupid they sound then maybe they really are less competent.

Just kidding guys. Sort of.

Rad-

I'm against prejudice in all its forms, but if they don't know how stupid they sound then maybe they really are less competent.

Just kidding guys. Sort of.

You don't really hear your own voice the way others do. When I first heard myself talk on video, I was shocked how stupid my style of talking was.

Social

I once worked with a person that talked like that all the time. She was a very sweet person but it's truly irritating.

I can understand how it can leave a negative impression. Something like the prevalence of the word "like" in teen girl conversation in the 90s. The "Valley girl" patterns. It's something you expect an adult to have grown out of by the time they're looking to apply for a real job.

I thought this was just about sounding like you smoke crack. I wouldn't hire those losers.

But these women be talking sexy. I don't see how this would affect one's ability to be hired. Who cares if they can't talk 20 years from now, it's like I'm talking to sexy Britney Spears right now.

We just hired a temp that part time is a message therapist. She talks exactly like this.

It's real bad and man is she dense. We have had to explain simple tasks multiple times. The only reason she got a job at all is because her mother has worked here for like 15 years.

She spends more tome giving back rubs then her actual job. Lol

I've heard of vocal fry before, but never really had a good example of what it was until I saw that video. Good lord, that is annoying. I can definitely see why an employer would pass over someone who spoke like that.

Yeah, competence wouldn't even really enter into it as a consideration for me. I just couldn't listen to that all day without wanting to break everything in my office.

I would have to imagine that any characteristic one has that can be interpreted as the incarnation of an archetype we can be associated with will hinder professional development.

Neo C.

It's interesting that the aversion is bigger among women though. It remind me of a study which shows how good looking women have a tough time in the hiring process when there are women in the Human Resources Department. Women are women's worst enemies.

Fuchsdh

Huh. I never heard of "vocal fry" before, I guess I lumped in that way of speaking with the valley girl stuff though I suppose they are distinct.

And yeah if I were in a hiring position I think I would go with someone not transparently putting on an affectation. Even if your voice isn't great it's going to sound better than this.

OmniGamer

There was an American Dad(or Family Guy, can't remember) episode with a teen girl that would go into vocal fry mode every time she said her boyfriend's name, Figgins.

"Figginnnnnnnnnnnnsssss"

Sajjaja

I know a dude who talks like this. He was an immigrant but now he talks like this to overcome his as a accent i think.

All these videos I've seen on this only shows white American women although I think I might have heard an Asian girl using it in real life. Is this something that only touches them and why are they the ones primarily with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom