• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women who speak in vocal fry perceived as incompetent and less hirable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate vocal fry.

It's so annoying.

jI35GHW.gif

I would say squeaky uptalk is more annoying. it makes you sound like you have no idea what you're talking about?
Like answering a question like you don't know the answer, maybe?

But goddam it, I will not be able to listen to any young woman speak without thinking the last syllable has been badly time-stretched

Valleyspeak getting thrown under the bus by proxy lol.

Is this like how that girl talks in the selfie video?
http://youtu.be/kdemFfbS5H0

No, that's just valleyspeak. Vocal fry isn't an accent or inflection; you can have vocal fry with absolutely any accent; hell it's not even English only.

http://youtu.be/UsE5mysfZsY?t=13s

She is using vocal fry with valleyspeak. But vocal fry is the part where she goes

"fr-y-y-y t-o-o-o-nes" it's the creaking of vowels/last syllable in a word.

Matter of fact, listen to this.
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/21/go-ahead-and-blame-keha-young-women-like-to-vocal-fry/

Ignore the irony that John himself uses unironically.

MilkBeard

Wow that is funny. "Stop doing it and I will stop wanting to throw poop at your face."
It was a good demonstration because I have never heard of 'vocal fry' before. But yeah, I don't really know many people who do it.

There is that popular song by the Chainsmokers where a girl is talking that way and the song annoys the shit out of me. And nobody talks like that in the clubs that I go to.

EDIT: I see that vocal fry can be without that 'valley' accent. It doesn't bother me so much by itself. Sometimes I make that sound as a joke but I never speak that way.

Mortemis

Banned
You have relatives or friends who do it, you are not being impartial.

I've known people that talked in vocal fry, yes. I do somewhat see what everyone is so annoyed by, its just that it doesn't bother me much, thats all there is to it.

I'm sure I'd get annoyed if they all talked as some of the people in these videos. Luckily I haven't met anyone like that. Which is why I say they exaggerate it.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
vocal fry is annoying, but is it as obnoxious as people who use "literally" in a lot of their sentences to try and (poorly) exaggerate their point? UGH

lenovox1

I do not even think I am capable of doing vocal fry after trying it now.

Everyone has a vocal fry register just like everyone has a falsetto register. It's just a different way of smacking the vocal folds together; maybe you'd need some "training" to get things going for you. If and why you'd ever want to go down that path is another question.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Now I'm worried I do this because I have a terribly deep voice.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Let me give you my perspective on this as a non-native speaker of English.

I love English and all its variants and dialects. I like your average British/American/Australian accents as well as their more colourful variations.

There was this group of Americans in the Paris underground the other day. They were in their twenties, so roughly my age, maybe slightly younger. Among them was one girl who just kept talking. I wouldn't have minded it if she didn't have the loudest, most valley-girlish vocal fry I have ever heard.

Vocal fry is the worst. As is valley girl talk. From a French person's point of view at least, the two put together make you sound dumb yet snobbish, shallow yet entitled. They make you sound like the most self-absorbed bitch ever. This is seriously aggravating and I'm glad there was enough noise that I couldn't understand everything she was saying. Still made the underground trip very annoying.

Say no to the vocal fry.

[EDIT] Though I don't see what's that got to do with having a low/deep voice. The girl in my example didn't have a particularly low-pitched voice.

draetenth

I don't think I've every heard any one speak like this before, but it's probably for the best because vocal fry sounds awful to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom