• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women who speak in vocal fry perceived as incompetent and less hirable

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

I've never heard it or even of it before.

It's incredibly irritating and awful. I'm glad I've avoided it up until this point. How is it a thing?

Zombine

Banned
Vocal fry tone. I have never heard of it called that before in my life. I guess another one is 80s radio puke voice that they'd prefer we don't use at all. That one is equally as bad I think.

Edit: this made me want French fries pretty bad.

Calamari41

41 > 38
For an example of vocal fry. Think of the last time you were really hungover and complaining to your friends that you wanted to puke.

This is why I am biased/prejudiced/whatever against people who speak in vocal fry. They sound like they just woke up from a night of binge drinking. Not the best vibe to give off when you're trying to get a job.

BajiBoxer

Banned
This is why I am biased/prejudiced/whatever against people who speak in vocal fry. They sound like they just woke up from a night of binge drinking. Not the best vibe to give off when you're trying to get a job.
Lol, that's exactly what I'd been thinking. I figured young women were just drinking a lot more and constantly hung over. Never thought it was an intentional thing.

Aurongel

I was with an Asian girl once who spoke like this occasionally and it infuriated me. It's so grating and it sounds ripped from a bad anime dub.

Carcetti

Didn't know this had a scientific name. It's terrible and I'm glad I know nobody who does it. Then, I really don't know any teenagers either.

kirblar

I'd be curious in a follow-up study on the personality characteristics of those with the vocal fry and how/if they differed from the regular population. (To answer the question: are our associations correct?)

riotous

Banned
I knew a group of female friends who individually never spoke like that, but if you put the 6 of them in a room together it's how they all talked.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Like, omg, I can't believe that this is an issue. Like, rights and stuff, right?

no shit lol

Notker

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my God, is that what that's called? I hate that. And of course it makes women who speak it seem less competent. It just broadcasts "I'm a moron" in the same way that every man who speaks like a character from Deliverance automatically sounds less intelligent.

Hyams

This is interesting to me, as I swear I drop in to vocal fry (or at least something similar) when I'm speaking to customers at work - and I started doing it as it elicits a positive response from them.

Not only did my sales figures shoot through the roof when I started using it, but customers became far more likely to compliment my service.

I've noticed several of my colleagues doing the same - dropping their voices as soon as they start talking to customers.

I'm male, by the way. Not sure if that makes any difference.

I thought that was just the California valley girl accent. Like, oh my god!

tumblr_md1hsgVDFu1rkv3hpo1_500.gif

Abounder

Banned
There was a History podcast from HowStuffWorks that had a Valley Girl accent and she eventually got kicked out by fan demand because of the annoying sounds. Sounds like a young version of The Grudge or a chain smoker.

I thought that was just the California valley girl accent. Like, oh my god!

tumblr_md1hsgVDFu1rkv3hpo1_500.gif

It's not the accent you should be focusing on but the sort of gravelly tone that apparently wrecks your vocal cords? I do it a lot because I have a naturally deep voice and it takes a lot more energy to talk without vocal fry.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm not even going to lie... I have the same prejudices against young women who speak in this manner. I never write a girl off completely, but they definitely need to convince me that they're not total fuck-wits. More often than not they end up being total fuck-wits though.

It is what it is.

IrishNinja

the chick who does this in Episodes is fuckin' hilarious, mostly because it's so hard to imagine anyone actually wanting to sound like that in a real life setting

The way people speak often elicit prejudgment on the person's character, background or education. My friend fought against her Long Island with much success, unless she was really angry or drunk. Another friend lost his southern accent and another learned how to say "ask".

Ivan 3414

It's not the accent you should be focusing on but the sort of gravelly tone that apparently wrecks your vocal cords? I do it a lot because I have a naturally deep voice and it takes a lot more energy to talk without vocal fry.

Vocal fry helps people hit lower registers in their voice that they normally wouldn't hit well without the technique; it's likely you don't have all that deep of a voice if you rely on it during your normal conversation.

The way people speak often elicit prejudgment on the person's character, background or education. My friend fought against her Long Island with much success, unless she was really angry or drunk. Another friend lost his southern accent and another learned how to say "ask".
Southern Accent best accent

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The real question is, is it an accurate perception?

Anecdotal evidence suggests fuck yes.

gosox333

God damn this thread.

It never even occurred to me that this was even a thing, but after this thread I've noticed it everywhere all day.

Make it stop.

It seems like all this thread's done is confuse what "vocal fry" actually is with an annoying accent or verbal affectation.

It's not a question of accent or phrasing. It's a question of vocal tone, period. You can have "vocal fry" even if your accent is flat as asphalt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom