• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women who speak in vocal fry perceived as incompetent and less hirable

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallaren

I remember hearing this from years ago on tv, like it's just the way some women spoke, but I'm not American so not really bothered.

You see, the... trick is to force them to scream for hours before... 'preparation'. It naturally tenders the meat before... a quick fry in virgin olive oil.

hannibal-lecter.gif

I think I've watched the movies too much :/

Espada

It's interesting that the aversion is bigger among women though. It remind me of a study which shows how good looking women have a tough time in the hiring process when there are women in the Human Resources Department. Women are women's worst enemies.

There was a study recently showing that women were acutely aware (and critical) of other women's attire, especially in the presence of a man. It involved a lab tech in normal dress and in more provocative clothing. The former got no responses, and the latter got really negative ones.

So I can see what you're saying being true. It's something the researchers will have to look into, since you'd expect the reaction from both sexes to be the same.

wtf? I hope that was very exaggerated for effect.

It is. What she's doing is basically an old "valley girl" impersonation. That's not "Vocal Fry," that's just someone being annoying.

"Vocal Fry" is a weird phenomenon I've only just recently heard about, and it seems like a weird thing to have even NOTICED, much less named and used as a means to prevent hires.

All it appears to mean is that your voice, when occupying a lower register, doesn't actually fill out. You know? It's like when you try to play something bassy through a 3-inch speaker. You know the bass is there, it just can't actually come out. That's what "Vocal Fry" sounds like, to me.

An annoying blonde woman speaking annoyingly via decades-old stereotype is a really shit example of this thing.

edit: Here's the wiki entry on the phenomenon, which specifies Vocal Fry to the extent that it becomes obvious "Vocal Fry" is the name for that sound you used to make on the playground when you played THAT game. You know, the game that Ol Dirty Bastard is playing in this song

Loki

Count of Concision
Every single female who works in the marketing/advertising department of the company I'm at (a Fortune 500 company, so it's a sizable amount of people) speaks like this. It is indeed annoying. They all sound the same.

Vocal fry tone = Valley Girl?

Not quite the same. Valleyspeak is when you have a rising inflection at the end of a statement so it kinda always sounds like a question of sorts, and they tend to use "like" as a segway and filler...alot. Think the movie Clueless. Many people who voice fry may tend to valleyspeak but they're not really the same as many girls who valleyspeak don't necessarily voice fry. The absolute worse is a country accent with voice fry ugh.

Both however are equally annoying.

royalan

Not quite the same. Valleyspeak is when you have a rising inflection at the end of a statement so it kinda always sounds like a question of sorts, and they tend to use "like" as a segway and filler...alot. Think the movie Clueless. Many people who voice fry may tend to valleyspeak but they're not really the same as many girls who valleyspeak don't necessarily voice fry. The absolute worse is a country accent with voice fry ugh.

Both however are equally annoying.

Basically.

Vocal fry has been around for a while, but until recently it was something you encountered mostly with older women. Or so I've read.

Either way, it's annoying. It sounds lazy, and it's not good for your voice long-term.

bengraven

A lot of my co-workers talk like that. And we're in a clinic. Naturally we make fun of it.

"Heeyyyyyyyyyy. Uhhhhhhh. This is Mich-eelllllllle?"
"Heyyyyymiiiiishhhhhellllleeeeee."

And this person I'm referencing is in her 40s.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont know what's so bad about it. i feel like making fun of the way people talk and saying outright it is a disorder is unfair.

I have hired people previously with vocal fry tones and regretted it. I feel like I need to micro manage them to get the job done.

Moral of the story: Don't hire people with vocal fry tones.

Gustav

Banned
So in this thread I have read that it's make you seem dumb and less hireable but also more sophisticated and smarter? WHICH ONE IS IT?

Mortemis

Banned
Some of those videos are overly exaggerated, normal vocal fry doesn't really bother me all too much.

So in this thread I have read that it's make you seem dumb and less hireable but also more sophisticated and smarter? WHICH ONE IS IT?
whynotboth?.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom