• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Munter

oh my god I soo want this game! Should i invest in a wii u.....

You take the no pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the yes pill - you stay in Nintendoland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Crisium

Hello.

Got the game on Friday, make a few courses.

Here is my last one, a while ago I read someone's comment about faking a vertical level, this is my attempt to that

Climb!

(D6F7-0000-002B-18D7)

WVW69iYadVwDUnFAeM

You nailed that vertical feel. I liked this level.

There were a couple times where I thought I had to jump on a flying koopa to get up a ledge but the koopa was out of range. All I needed was a running start, the Koopa was a herring, and I figured out out fast but these things can trick some players worse. Maybe right away at the start have a tutorial on max jumping while running in a short space. It's something I have noticed in my own levels as well.

Good fun.

Mistle

I liked the part where you have to climb on the vines while watching out for the saw blade. But your warp pipe is weird. You can't enter it while the P switch is still going, and you're guaranteed to take damage on the conveyor belt if you're not small Mario because the starman runs out before you can get off.
Thanks for playing! Ah yeah, I didn't realise that P switch error. I might just remove it altogether and force players to use the bombs to break the blocks around the pipe.

Also, once you're inside and get the starman, crouch on the conveyor and keep mashing jump :p I know it's a bit stupid but I had enough fun with it to leave it in haha. Should be able to clear the enemies without the star running out.

Two things I hope Ninetendo adds in an update:

- Checkpoints: Creators should have the option to place one in their level

- Worlds: We can create a set of four levels to play offline....why not give creators the ability to do the same for people to play online?
These would be cool. I also hope that they eventually add SMB2 and the two Super Mario Land games

SalvaPot

VandalD

Stacking the Odds
387C-0000-0016-5E5C
I enjoyed this level. Good use of the starting kit.
Super Plumber VS Mega-Pirahnas
D3D7-0000-0017-9701
I swear the piranha plants in this game wait for the last second to jump out of a pipe. Found an off screen one-up! I always appreciate secrets. At least when I find them. I liked this more than the first level.
New Super Smash Bricks
5655-0000-001E-A5FC
Another off screen one-up! I'm still liking your level building style.
Bullet Bill's Wild Ride
382F-0000-0020-9433
An enjoyable level. Bullet bills are a good time.
Touch Buzzy, Get Dizzy
5B1B-0000-0022-A0A8
And another off screen one-up! I'm not even sure how I found that hidden block, but it happened. Another enjoyable level. Definitely going to follow you for more levels. I like your style! Now if only the game would tell you when someone you're following uploads levels.

Jucksalbe

Banned
(Reposting, since I'd really like some impressions on my new level)

My attempt at a Metroid style level.

It's a very different style from my other levels, so I'd be especially grateful for any feedback.

I tried for hours to unlock the Samus costume, but I couldn't get it, and now I have to play on higher difficulties to unlock more. No time for that. So don't be mad, there's no Samus in this even if it would fit so well. Maybe for a potential v2 if people like this level.

And yeah, I know you can sequence break. Try to do it without that. ;)

WVW69iYUPF4JywOZ-L

Mariotroid (FB8C-0000-0027-BFE5)
(sorry for the stupid preview pic, I always forget to move my Mario to a proper location before uploading)

My older four levels:
Mushroom Split (19D9-0000-001F-7162)
Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle (5985-0000-0018-8690)
Clouds and Thorns (632E-0000-0016-E29D)
Hello World (#xa5742) (BD1C-0000-0017-2DF5)

Cyd0nia

Banned
screenshot_2015-09-13ozjmv.jpg

The Spiny Zig Zag Trail (D64C-0000-0027-2E62)

First level. Tip:
run and jump into the gap to start. Careful not to be bounced back.

Heres a level I made,

"leap of faith"
869D-0000-002b-643a

Made it so it's got a good, satisfying flow and has you running the full length of the map 3 times, but never gets cheap or frustrating

My first creation is up. Playtesting and feedback would be appreciated.

It Might as Well Be Spring
(128A-0000-002B-853E)

WVW69iYbLXM6gq2h8A

This stage should be fairly straightforward for Mario veterans. It mostly involves exploring simple interactions with the springboard, particularly its new horizontal configuration. My aim was to create something interesting using only the elements unlocked by day 2 (the first row and a half, up to the 1UP mushroom), structure it with the clarity and fairness of a typical Nintendo level, provide multiple solutions to obstacles where possible, and set up tricky but optional challenges with proportionate rewards. Ideally this approach to design would benefit from NSMB-style bonus coins, but I made do with what I had.

Something I learnt in the process: Lakitu wrecks the difficulty balance of a stage if you are not careful, as you may inadvertently set up a sudden swing from hard (while he's alive) to trivially easy (especially if player is able to ride the cloud). And if you want to control where the player has the opportunity to take him out, he imposes a severe height restriction on the traversable terrain. He was prominently featured in early drafts of the stage but I wound up removing him.

JoeM86

Gave in and downloaded since Yodel screwed me over.

Think I'm starting from behind, looking at the amount of stars some players have :(

Firemind

You take the no pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the yes pill - you stay in Nintendoland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
A land without tanooki, hammer and frog suits. :(

Teknoman

Gave in and downloaded since Yodel screwed me over.

Think I'm starting from behind, looking at the amount of stars some players have :(

Eh its not a race. That and a lot of the stages that have a ton of stars are gimmicky crazy worlds. Make what you want at your own pace.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Giving feedback really shouldn't give a star. They need to encourage critism. Bad levels don't deserve to be awarded for being bad.

Going to repost this again, not a lot of people clearing or playing the stages and would like to know if they they are too challenging or what I could do to make them better! Hoping to hear some feedback!

My gamepad battery was dying so I didn't have alot of time to fiddle with your levels. I did clear Bob-ombs away and found it okay but there was some seemly pointless design elements. With Bowser Bros I reached the end but stumbled on the boss and was not inclined to try again. Thwomp Gauntlet I did not have patience for at all because it appeared to be designed to frustrate players with unforeseeable death traps.

I hope that's not unfair. Like I said I only had a short time to look at these so it's entirely possible I have the wrong impression.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Giving feedback really shouldn't give a star. They need to encourage critism. Bad levels don't deserve to be awarded for being bad.

Isn't commenting separate from starring?

I guess if not its like the digital equivalent of if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all :p

Sölf

Pictures aside, here are three of my new levels. Instead of crazy stuff I'm currently trying to build a few normal levels, which could be part of an official game (at least sort of). I would put them into World 3 or 4, difficulty wise.

Andarro's Plains:
3D3A-0000-0027-BEA3

Andarro's Mansion:
37A9-0000-0025-7AA2

Andarro's Castle:
B686-0000-0026-6C8E

Feedback would be appreciated. It's also my first haunted house.

I spent a few hours making my first level. I tried to make it in the spirit of the Japanese narrative structure known as Kishōtenketsu, which Miyamoto describes as the way he designs levels. It goes as follows:

Introduction: Introduce the core concept.

Development: Develop the core concept to improve player skill.

Twist: Put a twist on the core concept to challenge and delight.

Conclusion: Assuming mastery of the core concept, create a conclusion that takes everything the player learned and put it to a final test.

For an average Gaffer it's probably not too difficult, but I still think it's harder than it looks at first glance. Anyway let me know what you think.

Course Name: Stumbling Blocks
Code: F6F8-0000-0024-EDAF

Currently working on another level, but would still appreciate some more feedback on this one.

Also here's a picture:

WVW69iYbpLEq193Kst

arekuso

Hello everybody :)

Here's one Bowser castle level I made this morning. It's more or less challenging, depending on the accuracy of your jumps. Don't worry, it won't drive you mad if you fail though ! Give it a try and let me know how it was :)

WVW69iYbi1gkGM48sf

CASTLE ★★★☆☆
(EC79-0000-002B-B9B6)

Sölf;178581143 said:
How are you guys posting pictures of your levels? Are you online in GAF with the Wii U or something? D:

You can grab them through the browser version of Miiverse :)

image.jpg

DD11 - 0000 - 0025 -C1A4

Just made my speed run level! Not very long, but still challenging!

Anyone who likes speed running could have a go at it!? It would be nice to have some feedback, and implement suggestions!

Anyone else building speed run stuff!?

JoeM86

Eh its not a race. That and a lot of the stages that have a ton of stars are gimmicky crazy worlds. Make what you want at your own pace.

Well I've had ideas on how to screw with my brother (who has been playing Mario as long as me) including a SMB stage, amiibo focused, with multiple compartments (mini-levels) based on a small range of amiibo he's familiar with.

Also, a friend of mine has been doing a Mario Charity stream the past two weeks and has shown that she struggles with a few things, so I'm making a stage based on those things :D

Cyd0nia

Banned
Sölf;178581143 said:
How are you guys posting pictures of your levels? Are you online in GAF with the Wii U or something? D:

I'm just grabbing the pictures from my miiverse profile via my phone. Because they're in-game posts you have to go to your own profile then click posts. The main profile page just shows screenshots and play journal posts and stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Reposting from a while ago:

It's a stage that uses Donut Blocks and Piranha Plants - introduces the mechanics, develolps them, twists them and ends with a final test.
Feedback would be much appreciated.

Donut Mines
4282-0000-0026-45AC
eR0r87d.jpg

---------------

First one is pretty fun! Liked how even the wrong 'paths' had some sort of rewards - I'm just not a fan of guesswork in general though. The sky area also felt like too much of a reward for a visible pipe but that's nitpicking.

It was a couple of pages and two hours ago. People really shouldn't be bumping previously posted levels too soon. Makes an already difficult job of tracking what you want to play even harder.

(I did love your previous level though Belgian Dude, so will definitely be playing this one)

poodaddy

Got this game for my daughter's birthday and she didn't dig it.
I ended up playing it for four hours
. Now I have a new favorite Wii U game. Everything works out in the end:)

Teknoman

Sölf;178581143 said:

Miiverse.nintendo.net

Or just take a screenshot using the Wii U internet browser through an image hosting site.

Ferrio

Banned
I vastly overestimated the average person's mario skills. Mental note, most people don't even know how to run correctly.

Volotaire

I guess if you don't care about players cheating and trust people to play fair, you can sort of make manual checkpoints through doors.

You could, perhaps, solve this by hiding the set of doors above or to the side of the screen of where you start, or in a conspicuous place. When the player dies, they know they can go through the set of doors.

Teknoman

Well I've had ideas on how to screw with my brother (who has been playing Mario as long as me) including a SMB stage, amiibo focused, with multiple compartments (mini-levels) based on a small range of amiibo he's familiar with.

Also, a friend of mine has been doing a Mario Charity stream the past two weeks and has shown that she struggles with a few things, so I'm making a stage based on those things :D

lol that's just wrong.

I want to see that level lol.

EDIT: What determines if your level shows up in the 100 Mario challenge Easy/Normal/Expert?

Ferrio

Banned
I gotta hand it to Nintendo the 100 man challenge was a good idea, great way to get people to play levels that would otherwise go unnoticed.

My level still only has like a 6% completion, didn't even think it was hard :(

Seik

Banned
I just uploaded a level, but when the ID popped up I pressed too quickly and missed it, I wanted to post it here. D:

Now I'm looking at it on my upload list and there's no ID to be found...any other place I could look?

Bulbasaur

Banned
Took me the best part of 2 days but I finally finished designing my first level to a standard I felt was worth uploading!

83C6-0000-002B-D60C

I tried to channel one of my favorite game series T E N C H U and make it fair enough that people will complete it!

Kangi

House of Deception
7BC7-0000-0029-E929
oxo0k.jpg

Difficulty: Advanced

A tricky Haunted House I've been working on, with threatening Boos, tight spaces, and lots of invisible blocks (none that troll you, however). Nothing too complex, but it's fun.

I just uploaded a level, but when the ID popped up I pressed too quickly and missed it, I wanted to post it here. D:

Now I'm looking at it on my upload list and there's no ID to be found...any other place I could look?

Should be on your uploaded courses list; there's a small white "ID" button on the level info.

Top Bottom