• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2015)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:
aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Ratrat

Just finished Gone Girl. It started strong, tapered near the middle and ended on a decent note. I bet the Fincher movie is better.

Andrew Roberts - Napoleon

Only a little way through, but seems fantastic so far. Such a gorgeously designed book as well - had to get a Kindle version as not to ruin it.

Literally came in here to post this. Got it this morning. Been eyeing it for ages, finally bit the bullet.

I'm around 60% through Ender's Game so far. I'm liking it more now than I was toward the start, but I'm still a little bothered by the amount of times the writer has to let me know some child is naked. I think I would like this book more if it was all Peter and Val.

Diddo! :)

It's not as good I was hoping it would be, but it's cozy enough to spend time with.
Loving the
Drood-non-connections-thingies he's put in there and all the meta
stuff is great.

The actual mystery is what I find is the weak part :/
Ah yes I totally forgot about that
the references to Wilkie and his books and such

The Mule

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

77507.jpg

Nearly finished. This is my second time through. The first time I stopped about half-way through. This time I'm enjoying the later half of the book much more.

Next up, Permutation City by Greg Egan.

51L4f1-%2BeXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Necrovex

Just reached the halfway point of A Little Life. As always, it drains my essence. Looking at my next book, and I'm thinking of Going Clear. I have also decided to make slow progress on Silmarillion. The Tolkien Professor should make that journey a little easier.

Mogwai

I'm about halfway through this one. If I knew it was this heavy, I probably wouldn't have started it. But ah well, no way back. Been at it since the end of January. With this pace, I'll probably finish it sometime before Christmas.

513waPsyPYL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

NEO0MJ

Something I like in Shadow and Claw in comparison to other books I read is how short chapters are. This makes it easier to pick up and drop than other books I read.

Mumei

Something I like in Shadow and Claw in comparison to other books I read is how short chapters are. This makes it easier to pick up and drop than other books I read.

Oh, definitely. The Book of the New Sun does not require a lot endurance to read because of that.

As for myself, I am reading:

14728662.jpg
22457037.jpg
441190.jpg

I also have On Such A Full Sea and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn on my to-do list this month. hope to get back on track.

Just finished:
51SG563T7EL.jpg
20309175.jpg

It took me quite a bit longer than normal to get through both of them. One because it was so good and I had to stretch it out and savor it and the other because it was often so mediocre I rarely wanted to read it.

On to:
51JQPHVV7VL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

ShaneB

Just quoting myself from a few days ago in last months thread.

Thanks for the recs folks, but will pass for now. I'll never stick to something unless I post it, so I guess I'll go back to a security blanket of mine and read a survival story. Was browsing the physicals books I own, and saw this. I bought it for my Dad ages ago (like most of the physical books I have), and seemed about time I read it. Just something to kickstart my reading habits again. So much for wanting a bit of escapism!

Now reading.
Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival by Norman Ollestad
6623154.jpg

Really enjoying it so far, and should be a quick read, exactly what I needed.

Mumei

Just finished:
51SG563T7EL.jpg
20309175.jpg

It took me quite a bit longer than normal to get through both of them. One because it was so good and I had to stretch it out and savor it and the other because it was often so mediocre I rarely wanted to read it.

I hope you are talking about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, because icarus has agreed to read The People in the Trees and A Little Life in exchange for my reading that!

I hope you are talking about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, because icarus has agreed to read The People in the Trees and A Little Life in exchange for my reading that!

I am. It was a pure delight. A slice of life story where every few pages there was a passage that I loved so much I had to save for future reference.
It's really remarkable, and I only wish I had read it sooner.

Finished Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey. I really wanted to like this book, but ultimately didn't. The characters were simply too broad and the action too ridiculous. In a lot of ways it felt like a much weaker version of Clickers. It has a lot of the same elements. The main character relocating to a small town from a big city to get a fresh start. He becomes friends with a local merchant, starts a romantic relationship with a woman just before an ancient evil arises from the sea and attacks the coastal town. They even start with an attack on a fishing boat. Unfortunately while Clickers managed to keep the zaniness of its characters in check, Fangtooth lets everyone go completely off the rails. The locals inexplicably are overly superstitious and crazy. It just doesn't work. Bummer.

Up next

21196120.jpg

This is supposed to be an homage to Hammer Horror and Vincent Price. Hopefully its as fun as it sounds.

Day 126.... not compelled to read.... word spren and bored spren do battle above me... so I read GAF forums instead.... signs of light ahead indicate near the end

*cough*

*cough*

Might finish ... in May....

220px-WordsOfRadianceCover.png

Nuke Soda

Reading through Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan and if I am being honest I don't much care for it. To me (and I might be wrong) this book feels way too pandering. I like a little pandering, but this is like almost nothing but pandering, which is not so great.

Andrew Roberts - Napoleon

Only a little way through, but seems fantastic so far. Such a gorgeously designed book as well - had to get a Kindle version as not to ruin it.

Finished it awhile ago, absolutely loved it. And I'd definitely recommend picking up the hardcover at some point, it's beautiful.

ATF487

Getting my Hemingway on. Finished the Sun Also Rises a couple of weeks ago and started For Whom the Bell Tolls last weekend.

Finished A Feast For Crows. I think it was the worst of the GOT books that I've read so far but I understand if people claim Clash Of Kings was the weakest. I didn't know about the format of the 4th and 5th books so I was frustrated that we weren't getting to the other characters,

AFeastForCrows.jpg

Started A Walk In The Woods. 12 pages in and I already know I will love it.

Bill_Bryson_A_Walk_In_The_Woods.jpg

thomaser

Still on George Eliot's Middlemarch. Only halfway through, even though I started it in mid-February :-( But I've spent so much time on studying various moocs on Coursera (four-five courses simultaneously) that I feel justified in spending less time reading books than I normally do.

Jag

LYaL1oU.jpg

Finished The Autumn Republic. The final book in the Powder Mage Trilogy. Excellent end to a great series. Really kept the action and suspense going.

If you like Sanderson's worldbuilding (just see his quote on the cover!) and Cook's dark military, this is a series for you.

Just finished Richard K. Morgan's fantasy trilogy:

3314369.jpg
4703553.jpg
9781494571344.jpg

Which I didn't like half as much as his Takeshi Kovacs books. His whole fantasy landscape felt like imitation Malazan. But it wasn't bad as such. The ending was disappointing but felt like space has been left for a 4th book.

After finishing a fantasy trilogy by an author better known for sci-fi I thought I'd try a sci-fi trilogy by an author better known for fantasy:

So started Glen Cook's Starfisher books and enjoying the first Shadowline quite a lot

51AW7xHobyL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51Zj%2BQcMe6L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51RpDglbP1L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Akahige

Still reading Area X, been too busy the past 4 days to read at all.

Anyone read this?
3OHfsdU.jpg

The Vorrh by Brian Catling

I saw it at Barnes & Noble the other day and almost bought it.

Mumei

Still reading Area X, been too busy the past 4 days to read at all.

Anyone read this?
3OHfsdU.jpg

The Vorrh by Brian Catling

I saw it at Barnes & Noble the other day and almost bought it.

I haven't read it, but that cover alone would tempt me - and it looks like it's getting good critical reception, too.

Caode

I attempted to read Star Wars: Heir to the Jedi last month but it was a struggle, such a bland book.

I'm at that point now where I don't know what to read, and I only have at my disposal a small bunch of books. Looking at my current (small) shelf:

The Cuckoo's Calling
by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)
Dreamcatcher
Stephen King
Doctor Sleep
Stephen King
Joyland
Stephen King
Gone Girl
Gillian Flynn
Sharp Objects
Gillian Flynn
Ring
Koji Suzuki
Snowblind
Christopher Golden
The Windup Girl
Paolo Bacigalupi
Live by Night
Dennis Lehane

So.. decision time.

Cade

Fuck it's May now. I should finish both books I'm reading today and then move on to The Last Wish, the first Witcher book (short story collection).

ngower

Maybe a month or two ago I put a bunch of holds on some books. Within the past four or five days they've all come through, and there are waiting lists so there's no option to loan and renew. In short, I have to choose between which of my babies not to kill. HELP!

Station Eleven
The Magicians
Brown Girl Dreaming
The Bone Clocks
Wolf in White Van

Currently about halfway through The Martian. Digging it but finding time very hard to come by as of late, so reading in chunks. Thankfully the book lends itself to this type of fragmented reading so I don't feel overly lost when picking up from where I left off.

bengraven

I think I need to go yank these books out of the basement and have myself a re-read....

They're nothing like I expected. I was expecting maybe some deeper, heavy prosed Gene Wolfe like novel, but it's very dialogue heavy, action oriented. Funny. Funny as hell. Great names in a very traditional but awesome fantasy setting. I'm at the point
where they just met Raven...and btw, it's so obvious the "legate" is a female.

wamberz1

Well at least it can't possibly be as bad as well of ascension. So far it seems promising, but
ultra depressed Sazed
is really getting annoying.

After this I'll be looking for another audible audio book, so If anyone has any recommendations i'm all ears.

bengraven

Have this queued up as well if I ever get back to reading fantasy.

Fun thing about it is, you're drenched in fantasy terms (The Sea of Torments, Necropolitan Hill) but it reads like a really violent MASH. It doesn't "read" like a fantasy. Maybe more like a western.

Just finished book 10 of the Malazan series (second reading of the series). It's probably my favorite fantasy series, though the Stormlight Archive saga is shaping up to be fantastic.

I'm moving on to Brent Weeks' Lightbringer books since i haven't read the newest one and I've forgotten most of the finer plot points.

ShaneB

Fun thing about it is, you're drenched in fantasy terms (The Sea of Torments, Necropolitan Hill) but it reads like a really violent MASH. It doesn't "read" like a fantasy. Maybe more like a western.

Ah well that definitely makes it more appealing.

Just finished the road, which was excellent. Among the best fiction I can remember having read. Downloaded the swerve on the kindle but have barely started it. To be honest my work and travel schedule may prevent me from making much progress.

Just quoting myself from a few days ago in last months thread.

Really enjoying it so far, and should be a quick read, exactly what I needed.

If you like survival stories (fictional) read the road. It's an amazing book.

My second Cormac Mccarthy and I think I should read more.

Didn't really know where else to put this.

Would anybody be up for maybe trying to revive the Goodreads group a bit? Like I know it still exists but there isn't any activity or anything. Maybe we could try to have monthly books/discussions again?

---

For the sake of being on-topic. I'm about to start Cristos Tsiolkas' Loaded. I have somewhat high expectations for this as I really enjoyed the film adaptation last year.

Necrovex

I'm going to take a wee break from A Little Life, since Overdrive contacted me to let me know I can finally rent Americanah, and I just need a break from reading "The Story of Emotional Breakdowns."

Top Bottom