• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin S2 |OT| Mex Education

mzl.jjnldiai.jpg

Alas, it was too late. Jane's life was now the stuff of telenovelas.
—Narrator

Let's jump right in! As you'll recall...

Jane Gloriana Villanueva is a 23-year-old hotel worker studying to become a teacher who, while having dated police detective Michael Cordero for the last two years, has sworn to God and her grandmother Alba that she would save herself for marriage, much to the chagrin of Jane's mother Xiomara. When not doting on her boyfriend, she spends time with her family, eating grilled cheese and watching telenovelas with her mother and grandmother.

Then one day, while going for a routine pap smear, a distracted doctor accidentally inseminates Jane.

This is where things get complicated.

You see, the sperm sample belonged to Rafael Solano, the new owner of the hotel at which Jane works, and with whom Jane shared a dizzying kiss five years earlier. It also turns out that, because of cancer Rafael recovered from, and the chemotherapy treatments he underwent, he can no longer biologically father any children. Also, the sample was meant for his wife, Petra, who was planning on having the baby to save the marriage — but only so she can make it through the period defined in her pre-nuptials to make serious bank (5 years = 10 million dollars), though there's more to her than meets the eye.

Also also, the doctor that made this mistake is Rafael's sister Luisa, and sets Luisa on the path to reconciling with her ex Rose in her quest for legal aid.

Also also also, Jane's Disappeared Dad Rogelio is back in town and wants to reconnect.

And this is just from the first episode.

Why should I watch this show?

Because it's so much more than its (admittedly absurd) premise. The show was last season's most highly acclaimed new program, and is packed to the gills with unreasonable amounts of charm, wit, and heart. It's simply the most fun on television at the moment, and Season 2 looks no different:

Variety said:
The collective exhale can begin. Loyal viewers of the CW comedy “Jane the Virgin” may have had some fears about whether it would be able to sustain the quality of its freshman season, but judging by the first episode of season 2, Jane Villanueva and her friends and family are in safe hands. If anything, the season 2 premiere is an even more accomplished distillation of the show’s consistently invigorating mixture.

The Wrap: Gina Rodriguez CW Series Steers Clear of Sophomore Slump said:
In the second season premiere of “Jane the Virgin,” not even 10 minutes have passed since Sin Rostro kidnapped the leading lady’s newborn baby, Mateo, from the hospital. It’s a move that sets up another season of fast-paced, dramatic antics with plenty of twists and turns to keep “Chapter Twenty-Three” on par with any of season 1’s installments.

Hollywood Reporter: 'Jane the Virgin' is as delightful said:
At the center of it all is Rodriguez, the show’s big, beating heart. Jane’s new mom worries and triumphs will make you laugh, and cry, and have you rooting for her, always. There isn’t a more relatable character on TV right now.

And now that the complete first season is on Netflix, you have no reason not to hop on board.

So hop on board! Mondays, 9pm on The CW.

Bonus: Rogelio in Space!

Tb8GWAW.gif

EulaCapra

Let the campaign for #SaveJanetheVirgin begin.

Gina Rodriguez should just parade out her Golden Globe every time she steps into the CW office.

*Prays for good ratings for it and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend*

Can't wait for it to return! I love them all so much! Rogelio, Petra, Jane, Xo, Michael, Alba, Luisa and... ugh... Randall?

witness

My wife just started watching this show on Netflix. I haven't really heard of it before either. Seems interesting so far.

Whoo excited for it. It is such a joy to watch and gets me every ep between Rogelio and the Narrator.

^ Most shows go on streaming services either the day of or 1 week before a new season.

The only character with a specified nationality I think is Rogelio, who is Mexican.

Alba is Venezuelan, if I recall.

EDIT: I just watched the newest "Inside the episode with Gina Rodriguez" and I suddenly doubt my ability to stomach
Jane losing her baby
:( I didn't have that strong a reaction in the season finale, but now it hit me and I'm so terrified! I hope everything turns out great for the Villaneuva family.

Jaime Camil is the man. He is so hilarious on this show. There's a dude at my office who looks just like the actor that plays Rafael it freaks me out.

Oh god Petra actually did it she actually did that holy crap. In the first freaking episode back :-0

You can't fault this show for dragging out the suspense, damn
lol.gif

So Luisa corrected her mistake from the Pilot! Go Luisa!

...And screwed everything up again. As she's wont to do, The Artificial Insiminater (sp?) she is.

I adore this show. ADORE IT.

Leeness

Looooove this show. And the narrator. The narrator always has me rolling.

Jane <3
Michael <3
Rafael <3

Erryone.

Holy shit Petra with the awesome physical comedy this episode.

The face they froze on when she was reintroduced was amazing. And that stained-glass backdrop at the end? Rad.

I have a feeling this is gonna be a big season for Petra, which is fantastic for fans, haha.

A.V. Club's review: A-

There&#8217;s always the fear of a sophomore slump with returning TV shows, but the consistent strength of season 1 suggested that as long as the creative team stuck with what worked, Jane The Virgin could maintain that quality in its second year. The status quo has changed for Jane, but the show around her hasn&#8217;t, and tonight&#8217;s episode is an immensely promising start to the second season that doesn&#8217;t lose any of the style, wit, and emotion that define the series.

I'm not gonna lie: I totally missed the double entendre the first time in the LLN's "I'll say this: the girl&#8217;s got spunk.&#8221;

This freaking show
lol.gif

Looks like that "upload S1 on Netflix the same day as the S2 premiere" strategy didn't quite work out.
And Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is toast, holy crap.

TVBTN said:
The CW had a soft opening for its Monday-night lineup, with "Jane the Virgin" down 0.2 from its series debut last year (and off 0.1 for its finale) and "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" failing to catch much attention with a 0.3.

Jane will likely adjust up (the half-hours were 0.4/0.5), so the result is actually fairly solid. I just wish CW had aired re-runs during the summer and uploaded on Netflix early fall to create some momentum.

CEG had under 1 million viewers...I loved the pilot, but I have a feeling it won't be the JtV lead-in for very long.

f330e5f0-8adc-0132-440a-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

Yeah... Those ratings. :( Not that it's in danger of being cancelled but I hope it improves next week, CEG too.

Looks like JTV just missed being adjusted up to a .5. How WB/CBS handle Netflix with CW shows annoys the crap out of me.

New episode tonight!

While Jane finally settles into a routine with Mateo, she finds herself a bit removed from the potential love triangle forming with Rafael and Michael; Xo and Rogelio perform on a cruise ship; Petra and Rafael are suspicious of Lachlan.

Top Bottom