• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•25-27•16 - Batman vs Superman (or Grindr hookup gone sideways) bests Bunny

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

Zb9Of3m.jpg
gUO0CFq.jpg
77zuWR4.jpg
9Vk7xFI.jpg
yIJjtTI.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
29% Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
9wcOG.gif
99% Zootopia
8mB0Q.gif
24% My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
3Pj0x.gif
52% Miracles from Heaven
5f4ew.gif
11% The Divergent Series: Allegiant

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Shatters Records With $170.1 Million Debut

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” steamrolled past records, debuting to a gargantuan $170.1 million over Easter weekend despite being pilloried by critics.

That ranks as the top opening weekend for a DC Comics film, the best March launch ever, and the sixth biggest domestic opening weekend of all-time.

It’s a shot in the arm for Warner Bros., which has been reeling from a series of costly bombs such as “Jupiter Ascending” and “Pan,” and is looking to the Dark Knight and Man of Steel throw down to kick off a series of inter-connected comic book franchises. The studio spared no expense, tapping Ben Affleck to assume Batman’s cape and cowl, and shelling out $250 million in production expenses, and millions more in promotional razzle dazzle. The bet appears to have paid off, positioning DC and Warners to have the kind of cinematic universe of costumed heroes and villains that rival Marvel has leveraged to enormous profits.

It also undercuts the influence of top critics. Reviews for “Batman v Superman” were withering — the New York Times’ A.O. Scott said seeing the film is “…about as diverting as having a porcelain sink broken over your head” — but audiences didn’t care. They were kinder to the picture too, giving the film a B CinemaScore grade.

“It’s the fans that speak the loudest,” said Jeff Bock, a box office analyst for Exhibitor Relations. “It proves how strong these characters are.”

The film’s audience was largely male (66 percent) and crowds tended to be younger, with 63% of ticket buyers ranging between the ages of 18 and 34. Imax showings contributed $18 million to the gross, premium large format screens added an estimated $17 million to the earnings, and 3D screens were responsible for 40% of the debut.

Last weekend’s champ, “Zootopia,” slid to second place, racking up $23.1 million to push the family film’s domestic total to $240.5 million. Globally, the Disney Animation blockbuster has earned $696.7 million, pushing it past the likes of “Tangled,” “Big Hero 6,” and “Ratatouille.”

In third place, Universal scored a counter-programming success with “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.” The romantic comedy pulled in female crowds not interested in watching the superhero beatdown, earning a solid $18.1 million from 3,133 locations. The film is a follow-up to the 2002 box office phenomenon, which grossed $368 million at the global box office. Gold Circle Entertainment, HBO and Playtone produced the sequel for $18 million and brought back original stars Nia Vardalos and John Corbett.

The story was a far grimmer one for Lionsgate, which saw “The Divergent Series: Allegiant” plunge 67% in its second weekend, eking out $9.5 million. The film has earned $46.6 million, a disappointing result that puts the studio in an uncomfortable position given that another sequel, “Ascendant,” is currently scheduled to debut in June 2017, when it will face off against heavy hitters such as “World War Z 2” and a reboot of “The Mummy.”

Sony’s “Miracles from Heaven” tied for fourth, earning $9.5 million, and pushing the faith-based drama’s domestic haul to $34.1 million after two weeks.

In limited release, Sony Pictures Classics debuted the Hank Williams drama “I Saw the Light” debuted to $50,464 on five screens, for a per screen average of $10,093, while Bleecker Street’s drone thriller “Eye in the Sky” expanded from 35 theaters to 123 in its third week, earning $1 million and pushing its domestic total to $1.7 million.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

350mil domestic, 800mil worldwide is just barely meeting expectations.

Having a Batman v Superman movie essentially just run in place isn't what Warners was hoping for. They're not gonna lose their shirt on this, obviously, but the amount of noise and fury this film is spinning off while more or less just standing in the same spot Man of Steel stood? That's not good. It's not a failure. It's not disaster. But it's not really a victory, either.

Also, look at those Cloverfield holds! That's good stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The dismissal of critics based on a big opening week or two is completely misguided. The harm from poor critical reaction (usually a decent proxy for poor quality) is felt later down the line.

Having a Batman v Superman movie essentially just run in place isn't what Warners was hoping for. They're not gonna lose their shirt on this, obviously, but the amount of noise and fury this film is spinning off while more or less just standing in the same spot Man of Steel stood? That's not good.

BvS made $424 million in one weekend. It´s reaching a billion.

kswiston

Worldwide updates:

Batman v Superman - $424M (4th on the Worldwide openings list, ignoring the fact that many big films had staggered releases).

Zootopia - $697M

gamz

Having a Batman v Superman movie essentially just run in place isn't what Warners was hoping for. They're not gonna lose their shirt on this, obviously, but the amount of noise and fury this film is spinning off while more or less just standing in the same spot Man of Steel stood? That's not good. It's not a failure. It's not disaster. But it's not really a victory, either.

It's already halfway there in a weekend. It's a great start.

GhaleonEB

170 million?! Total bomb, amidoingthisrite?

Great start. Legs watch 2016 begins now. :p

I'm thinking 60-70% drop for next weekend, but I'm genuinely curious. Stand by my prediction that it will dip below Zootopia at some point in its run, just for the amusement factor.

Wait, I was just in another BvS thread where folks weren't agreeing with the 170m weekend boxoffice. Was ambar_hitman right?

That's not what was happening.

That poster was using a poor source, misunderstood what he was reading, and misrepresented the article on top of that.

Man, that's gonna fucking eat a Harry Potter 8 level drop, isn't it

People have already brought up that and Spider-Man 3 as possible analogs.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It´s really impressive but expected though. There are no movies targeting families at the moment, and from what i heard Zootopia is a great movie.

My wife, who has enjoyed all the recent Disney and Pixar stuff said it was kind of boring. My 6 year old seemed to enjoy it well enough.

Jawmuncher

I do wonder how the legs will be. There isn't exactly much competition for a bit and word of mouth is all over the place.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Yeah BvS has zero competition coming up. It will probably hold decently because what else are people going to see

Exactly. That and the general populace seems to enjoy it well enough. It is no critical success, and much of the comic book nerd populace seems to despise most aspects of it, but both of thkae segments are tiny compared to people who just want to see superheroes smash stuff.

GhaleonEB

It´s really impressive but expected though. There are no movies targeting families at the moment, and from what i heard Zootopia is a great movie.

That's part of it, sure. But lack of direct competition does not translate automatically to great legs. There have been plenty of animated films released without a lot of competition, that didn't translate to 3x OW multiplier with a lot left in the tank. As you said, it really is a good movie. Word of mouth has been great.

It's trampled the studio's prior releases, though won't have the legs of Frozen.

So..why do people want to fail this again ? I feel pretty bad tbh when reading comments like that. The movie might not be great or even good, but how it does is important for it's future. I am sure Justice League (2017) would've been Snyder's last movie anyway.

kmag

BvS opened to $424 global? I mean thats a damn good number. I know that includes China but thats a monster opening.

It's out everywhere at once (only Poland and Myanmar excluded: 1st of April for both), so that factors into the WW number. A truly global release is pretty rare these days.

Still a very good number.

kswiston

I was pretty close with the Overseas weekend take for BvS. I think I said $250M after we had yesterday's number.

Missing $800M with this start is pretty close to impossible. I will try to dig up a Godzilla legs scenario later.

Lets go with near worst case scenario domestically and say Hulk 2003 legs off of a $168M opening (since that Sunday is a bit optimistic). That would give you $357M domestic. Legs go with a similarly cynical prediction for China and say $90M total.

That would mean the rest of the world would have to earn around $550M off of a ~$200M start to hit $1B. That would require pretty decent legs, but anything that isn't possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom