• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•25-27•16 - Batman vs Superman (or Grindr hookup gone sideways) bests Bunny

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good opening for BvS but doesn't strike me as particularly impressive given that it features two iconic superheroes in the title of the film.

Legs will be interesting to see, but I'm in the boat that it's decline won't be massive. It doesn't really have any competition coming up.

tomtom94

So..why do people want to fail this again ? I feel pretty bad tbh when reading comments like that. The movie might not be great or even good, but how it does is important for it's future. I am sure Justice League (2017) would've been Snyder's last movie anyway.

Justice League (2017) won't be Snyder's last given he's also supposed to be directing Part Two.

Donos

170 million?! Total bomb, amidoingthisrite?

I think few expected a weak opening. It's Superman and Batman in one movie. People go into movies like this without reading any reviews. Theses two names are a huge draw themself. The drop and the weeks following the opening will be more interesting.

Snyder wouldn't even be that bad if studios would reign him the hell in. He's good at making beautiful and at times downright amazing individual scenes. But he cant construct a whole film by himself successfully. They could still use him and have a better result if they would reign in the control in a little bit

So..why do people want to fail this again ? I feel pretty bad tbh when reading comments like that. The movie might not be great or even good, but how it does is important for it's future. I am sure Justice League (2017) would've been Snyder's last movie anyway.

I don't like this Batman or Superman (the latter, I absolutely hate).

Not gonna watch a Justice League movie with this Supes leading the team and I dread Snyder's interpretation of some of my other favorite heroes.

That we don't get a Justice League movie by Snyder is a massive plus in my book.

I get the same feeling that some people want this to fail. I loved the movie, despite it's flaws. I want an expansive DC cinematic universe like Marvel has done and this movie was the way Warner decided to kick it off.

I hope we see a massive drop next week for BvS.

I don't understand posts like this. Do you have some loyalty to Marvel studio's or something? Some type of bet you are losing with someone? Did you feel this way even before the movie came out? Why do you want to see the movie fail?

gamz

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya 3m3 minutes ago
Towering $424.1M global opening wknd for #BatmanvSuperman. $254M intl led by China's $57.3M. Will be halfway to billion in few days.

So by the start of next weekend you are looking at 500M. It'll be hard as hell not to hit a billion.

kswiston

Godzilla 2014's overseas debut was $145M if you lump in the first weekends of China and Japan which had late starts.

Godzilla legs for BvS would be roughly $575M overseas and $365M domestic for a total of $940M worldwide.

There's a decent no legs scenario for BvS.

ezekial45

Banned
I don't like this Batman or Superman (the latter, I absolutely hate).

Not gonna watch a Justice League movie with this Supes leading the team and I dread Snyder's interpretation of some of my other favorite heroes.

That we don't get a Justice League movie by Snyder is a massive plus in my book.

They start shooting JL in two weeks. So unless WB decides to change plans now, only weeks before production with millions of dollars already invested, I don't see them changing their mind at all. They're staying the course.

Removing Snyder as director this late would cause more problems.

duckroll

Will BvS beat Deadpool's domestic total at the end? Will BvS be able to make more than 100 million over Deadpool's worldwide total at the end?

farisr

Little salty in here. Need a glass of water.
Yup, it seems some of movie-gaf seems to be living in another world and thinking critic reviews and certain online negative reactions = general audience sentiment and is going to severely hurt Box Office intake.

This isn't a John Carter situation where folks will be looking towards reviews to decide on whether to go watch it or not. It's Batman & Superman. Folks are going to check out the movie just based off those 2 names alone. And the general audience reception/word of mouth actually seems to be positive so far.

900 million is probably the floor with a fair shot at 1 billion. Needs to rake in the cash now however before Civil War comes out internationally

LionPride

Banned
I think few expected a weak opening. It's Superman and Batman in one movie. People go into movies like this without reading any reviews. Theses two names are a huge draw themself. The drop and the weeks following the opening will be more interesting.
I think people forget that normal people don't give a shit about reviews when it comes to certain things. Two of the biggest fictional characters out there falls under that umbrella. I hope the movie makes $1 billon, it has the potential to.

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya 3m3 minutes ago
Towering $424.1M global opening wknd for #BatmanvSuperman. $254M intl led by China's $57.3M. Will be halfway to billion in few days.

So by the start of next weekend you are looking at 500M. It'll be hard as hell not to hit a billion.
snyder looking at the RT score like
raw

3N16MA

Banned
Not a bad start with the WW total even if it did have a very wide opening. I still think it will end up at around 1B when it's all said and done.

gamz

Godzilla 2014's overseas debut was $145M if you lump in the first weekends of China and Japan which had late starts.

Godzilla legs for BvS would be roughly $575M overseas and $365M domestic for a total of $940M worldwide.

There's a decent no legs scenario for BvS.

And I imagine it'll have better legs then that.

Well it just goes to show how much of a monster this would have been if the reception for it was dark knight/avengers level.

kswiston

Will BvS beat Deadpool's domestic total at the end? Will BvS be able to make more than 100 million over Deadpool's worldwide total at the end?

First part is not locked, but BvS has the advantage. Amazing Spider-man 2 legs would still be $372M with a $168M start. I think Deadpool is heading towards a finish in the $365M range. They may try to push the film to claim that Rated R record though. Who knows.

BvS will make more than $100M over Deadpool WW though.

Lothars

Yup, it seems some of movie-gaf seems to be living in another world and thinking critic reviews and certain online negative reactions = general audience sentiment and is going to severely hurt Box Office intake.

This isn't a John Carter situation where folks will be looking towards reviews to decide on whether to go watch it or not. It's Batman & Superman. Folks are going to check out the movie just based off those 2 names alone. And the general audience reception/word of mouth actually seems to be positive so far.
I think it's going to drop off majorly, I'm not surprised that it didn't affect opening but I have no doubt it will have a sharp drop off next week especially with reviews.

hamchan

Always going to make money no matter how bad a movie it is. It's Batman vs Superman. That title is money. I can smell the money from here.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I get the same feeling that some people want this to fail. I loved the movie, despite it's flaws. I want an expansive DC cinematic universe like Marvel has done and this movie was the way Warner decided to kick it off.

I don't understand posts like this. Do you have some loyalty to Marvel studio's or something? Some type of bet you are losing with someone? Did you feel this way even before the movie came out? Why do you want to see the movie fail?

A lot of assumptions based on an individual's response of how he or she hopes a movie will perform. The movie isn't a failure if it has huge drops next week, so you can discard that notion. But even then, people who are hardcore fans of DC might truly find this movie to be a disservice, and therefore are entitled to think whatever they damn well please, including how it should perform. Shit is so annoying. "Let everything succeed because otherwise you're an asshole!"

I honestly think people saw it just to see just how shitty the movie could possibly be. I know that's why I went since I was morbidly curious. I left the movie, saw the next crowd and just muttered "I fucking pity you people."

Lebron

It's amazing that a film with Batman and Superman will still probably have to crawl to pass $1B

Find out next week. Same Bat Time. Same Bat Channel

They start shooting JL in two weeks. So unless WB decides to change plans now, only weeks before production with millions of dollars already invested, I don't see them changing their mind at all. They're staying the course.

Removing Snyder as director this late would cause more problems.

Yea, I doubt much will change on that front. Sucks for me, since I'm a bigger DC fanboy then I am Marvel. But I guess I'll just stick with the comics and animated stuff.

Dysun

Movie was always going to be a hit, regardless of critics. Word of mouth isn't going to be as toxic as it is in the online or critic bubble either

cackhyena

I honestly think people saw it just to see just how shitty the movie could possibly be. I know that's why I went since I was morbidly curious. I left the movie, saw the next crowd and just muttered "I fucking pity you people."
People who frequent forums and follow the state of things,go to see it for that reason. Those people you saw aren't the same type. Neither is the majority of the movie going crowd.

DirtyLarry

Perhaps the most interesting thing I noticed when I saw BvS on Friday was the diversity of the crowd. And I am not just talking race, although that was also diverse. I am talking the age of the crowd. It ranged from about 10 to 70. I saw more than a few older couples (and when I say older, I mean 60+, me and my wife are 40 so are old to plenty of you I imagine).

And that really comes down to one character and one character only. Superman. He is pretty much the oldest comic book character there is, so you literally have generations that have grown up with him.

Include Superman, and it does not matter if your movie is awful, people will go to see it. His staying power is pretty damn remarkable.

3N16MA

Banned
Yea, I doubt much will change on that front. Sucks for me, since I'm a bigger DC fanboy then I am Marvel. But I guess I'll just stick with the comics and animated stuff.

I think Snyder is locked in for JL simply because of the release schedule. I don't see him coming back to direct after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom