• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•25-27•16 - Batman vs Superman (or Grindr hookup gone sideways) bests Bunny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for BvS. Well deserved.

Bullshit.

image.php

haha

ArmGunar

Do you think WB fudge the 170M mark ? ^^

Although, 424M WW opening is fantastic (I know, China is included)

I thought the movie was awesome, I'm glad it starts well, this movie doesn't deserve this bashing. It's well better than TASM2, Thor 1/2 for example.

The 1B mark is 65% locked at this point...the 35% left depends of 2nd weekend's results and legs

A lot of assumptions based on an individual's response of how he or she hopes a movie will perform. The movie isn't a failure if it has huge drops next week, so you can discard that notion. But even then, people who are hardcore fans of DC might truly find this movie to be a disservice, and therefore are entitled to think whatever they damn well please, including how it should perform. Shit is so annoying. "Let everything succeed because otherwise you're an asshole!"

No assumptions at all, my questioning is trying to figure out why exactly people want the movie to fail. I'm a big moviephile, especially comic book adaptations. I'm a big fan of DC and Marvel comics and animated series. The post I replied to didn't give me any indication as to why he/she doesn't want this movie to do well, so my curiosity wants me to understand why they feel this way.

Kusagari

Perhaps the most interesting thing I noticed when I saw BvS on Friday was the diversity of the crowd. And I am not just talking race, although that was also diverse. I am talking the age of the crowd. It ranged from about 10 to 70. I saw more than a few older couples (and when I say older, I mean 60+, me and my wife are 40 so are old to plenty of you I imagine).

And that really comes down to one character and one character only. Superman. He is pretty much the oldest comic book character there is, so you literally have generations that have grown up with him.

Include Superman, and it does not matter if your movie is awful, people will go to see it. His staying power is pretty damn remarkable.

lol the vast majority went because of Batman.

Deadpool grossed more than every Superman solo movie.

FTF

I thought the movie was awesome, I'm glad it starts well, this movie doesn't deserve this bashing. It's well better than TASM2, Thor 1/2 for example.

The 1B mark is 65% locked at this point...the 35% left depends of 2nd weekend's results and legs

They did, the actuals will be a few million less tomorrow, something like $167.5m. It's not having only a 27% Sun drop.

If this film can hit 1 Billion WB have to take that as a good win. Maybe still not quite the juggernaut they wanted but thats a great success. I'm still not convinced it does it though.

But for it to not hit 900 at this point is almost impossible. It would have to have some of the worst legs in the history of blockbusters

Me and my friends normally go see these big epic movies 2 or 3 times at the cinema if we really love them, either 3D or IMAX but because of all the bad reviews, we didn't want to risk spending too much cash on a shit movie, so went to see it on a regular 2D screen.

I'm pretty glad we did because it wasn't a fun movie (only a few cool moments) and we have no desire to go see it again, that really long run time doesn't help it either. So if other people come away from this feeling the same, I don't think it will have long legs at the box office and looking at Box Office Mojo's figures, the estimates already have it tracking under Age of Ultron and Iron-Man 3.

Still did alright but I bet WB would have hoped for something closer to Averngers numbers when it cost them $250+ million to make

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

kswiston

I do think we are heading for a finish that will see Batman v Superman less than $25M ahead of Deadpool's domestic total though.

I wish I could find the thread where I got jumped on for suggesting that Deadpool could conceivably top one of the big two comic films this year domestically (Back before we had BvS reviews or early WOM). That statement won't be as ridiculous as it seemed a month ago, even if Deadpool ends up being #3!

gamz

Also, MOS in it's second weekend was up against WWZ and Monster Uni 2.

I forgot about that, so no way is it going to be the same drop.

tomtom94

Didn't they recently say that JL is no longer a two part film? Could've sworn Roven said it.

I'm still not 100% sure Snyder will be directing JL. If the film bombs next weekend, I think they fire him and George Miller steps in.

Justice League Part One starts filming in literally two weeks. Absolutely no chance Snyder gets fired. I can see mandatory producer-heavy reshoots at best.

No assumptions at all, my questioning is trying to figure out why exactly people want the movie to fail.

I don't know that there's anyone in here who actually wants/wanted the movie to fail. Or even to disappoint. People are coming in here and taking the broom to the backside of that particular strawperson, but I'm not sure "I want it to fail" is really a thing on the part of people engaging in here.

The numbers can look this good and still not be what WB really wanted. It's more or less a bigger Man of Steel. Which was also a financial success that was simultaneously a bit of a mild disappointment.

I mean, speaking personally: I don't want a Batman/Superman movie to be a mild disappointment. I don't want a Batman/Superman movie to be solidly divisive. I don't want it to have 70% weekend drops, if that's in the cards (seems drastic)

I want happy Affleck!

But that ain't what we're dealing with, is it

TFA refuses to give up. The blu-ray release in a few weeks is gonna be a shitstorm.

It hit second run this weekend, and a lot of the theaters playing it around my way at least went NUTS on the scheduling.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
As a DC fan and someone who really enjoyed the movie these numbers make me happy. Chances are pretty good it hits 1 billion unless it has historically bad legs.

Sorcerer

Next weekend will be the mop up for BVS. Those who go see it because they cannot believe all the bad reviews."It can't be that bad".

70 percent drop.

170 million was way more than I expected given reviews. I had assumed around that much given great reviews. Will be curious to see how it does in the remaining weeks, it's hard to get a good grasp on WoM but the audience seemingly liked it from the premiere screening I went to.

I want something that results in WB rethinking their handing the keys of the DC universe to Snyder.

That is what will bring us happy Affleck (and a solo Batman film directed by him).

Nipo

It will only hit $1B if it has a much better than expected drop off or is dragged across the line ala Transformers. If we see a Spiderman 3 level drop off even that could be a stretch.

Nipo

170 million was way more than I expected given reviews. I had assumed around that much given great reviews. Will be curious to see how it does in the remaining weeks, it's hard to get a good grasp on WoM but the audience seemingly liked it from the premiere screening I went to.

Presales alone got it near $150 million. There was no way the movie could fail this weekend we'll know what kind of legs it has when we see the drop off. The Cinescore is surprisingly low for this movie.

I said this in another thread but scratching to 1 bill is not good for WB. This is the event. JL will likely come in under BvS. Being 18 months lately with the same creative team won't help. I guess it's better than their other tent poles lately.

kswiston

70% drop next weekend seems pretty harsh, even with the big Thursday previews working against BvS's hold.

Even Fantastic Four failed to do that.

Also, next weekend's biggest challenger is God's Not Dead 2.

I really think people are overestimating the drops.

You think this will drop harder than Man of Steel while having no competition and having Batman in it? I don't know about all of that

DieH@rd

Banned
Very impressive opening for BvS, especially after all the pounding it got from critics.

I will sadly be able to see it only in a week or two.

Jigorath

Banned
It's not a very positive result if it misses a billion considering the last two Batman movies both reached that milestone.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Presales alone got it near $150 million. There was no way the movie could fail this weekend we'll know what kind of legs it has when we see the drop off. The Cinescore is surprisingly low for this movie.
Where did you pull this from? Presales were between 20-25 mil.

FTF

You think this will drop harder than Man of Steel while having no competition and having Batman in it? I don't know about all of that

It'll probably drop the same as MoS, about 60-65%...it has much less comp, but has much farther to fall since its ow was so much higher. So a drop % about the same makes sense.

It's not a very positive result if it misses a billion considering the last two Batman movies both reached that milestone.

And with a smaller ow and no 3D.

I honestly think people saw it just to see just how shitty the movie could possibly be. I know that's why I went since I was morbidly curious. I left the movie, saw the next crowd and just muttered "I fucking pity you people."

Lol, the excuses that people make just to talk down this movie.

Kusagari

The bigger takeaway here is that the movie isn't going to gross more than Dark Knight Rises.

I doubt that is what WB wanted.

kswiston

It will only hit $1B if it has a much better than expected drop off or is dragged across the line ala Transformers. If we see a Spiderman 3 level drop off even that could be a stretch.

Spider-man 3 legs would be $375M domestic and $611M overseas. WB would just drag the film over $1B in that scenario.

It'll probably drop the same as MoS, about 60-65%...it has much less comp, but has much farther to fall since its ow was so much higher. So a drop % about the same makes sense.

I could see 60%, which isn't even a bad drop at all for the genre. Comic movie are nearly always heavily front loaded.

70% is way too high imo

hamchan

I said this in another thread but scratching to 1 bill is not good for WB. This is the event JL will likely come in under BvS. Being 18 months lately with the same creative team won't help. I guess it's better than their other tent poles lately.

I agree. Just limping over a billion considering the properties involved is somewhat disappointing. Nolan Batman by itself can get a billion. You'd think Batman and Superman together would get more.

kewlmyc

People actually though this movie was going to bomb? No matter how bad it was, it's a movie with Superman fighting Batman. There's no way this wasn't going to make a lot of money.

gamz

70% drop next weekend seems pretty harsh, even with the big Thursday previews working against BvS's hold.

Even Fantastic Four failed to do that.

Also, next weekend's biggest challenger is God's Not Dead 2.

Agreed. I keep going back to MOS, but MOS had comp the next weekend with Monster uni 2 and WWZ. No way this does any more then 60%.

Alexandre

Banned
Word to mouth is prolly not going to hurt as much as i though simple because, BATMAN

I hated the movie, HATED IT but ffs, Batfleck was SO GOOD to the point that I really want the solo movie ASAP!

So yep... people will go for Batman, no matter how bad people say the movie is

ArmGunar

Especially that MoS had World War Z and Monsters University in 2nd weekend...
BvS has nothing as strong and has Batman in it

I'm even sure that all that bad buzz can bring people to theaters to watch this "disaster" haha

Zootopia is like the Energizer bunny.

As it should be because it's a fantastic film.

As for BVS it was OK but I found it to be a pretty disappointing film overall.

But I'm still happy for it's success as this means Marvel finally has some competition.

It's not a great movie but still better than Thor 1/2, Iron man 2/3, Avengers AOU, TASM 1/2, and plenty of other superhero movies that were reviewed better.

One thing for sure is that it is different. It's a darker toned superhero film which is pretty rare these days in a fun, light heart Marvel environment.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Excellent. :)

I agree. Just limping over a billion considering the properties involved is somewhat disappointing. Nolan Batman by itself can get a billion. You'd think Batman and Superman together would get more.

On the other hand, it shows the interest is still there even after getting some of the most harsh reviews imaginable. They can reinvigorate this thing if Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman turn out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom