• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley leaders U-turn on Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...on-valley-donald-trump-critics-tech-reactions

For a full year, the tech industry had collectively railed against the xenophobic, bigoted, and anti-science tenor of candidate Trump, displaying a political consensus so strong that the only public outlier – PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel – became the target of a shunning campaign from industry insiders. Even the generally apolitical Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg rebuked Trump and his supporters’ “fearful voices talking about building walls”.

But on Wednesday night Zuckerberg had a new message. “Feeling hopeful,” read the tag on a photograph Zuckerberg shared of himself and his infant daughter watching the election returns. In the caption, he wrote that “creat[ing] the world we want for our children” was “bigger than any presidency”. The accompanying emoji displayed wide, happy eyes and an eager grin.

Zuckerberg was not alone in his change of tune.

“We in the tech community are willing to work with President-Elect Trump to help those Americans who need it most,” tweeted venture capitalist and erstwhile Trump critic Chris Sacca. “The door is open.”

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, who said in October that Trump’s behavior “erodes democracy”, chimed in with a note of conciliation: “Congratulations to @realDonaldTrump. I for one give him my most open mind and wish him great success in his service to the country.”

Perhaps Silicon Valley can do business with a businessman in the White House after all.

Woorloog

Banned
All they care for is money. They were against Trump because they thought Clinton would win, but now that Trump won, they're trying to be buddies with him

No integrity, only pure greed, at the expense of everyone else.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They probably realized they were adults and needed to act that way.

You don't have to agree with the President Elect. But he won the election while playing within the same rules as his opponent and the presidents before him.

It's time to look at making sure your voice is heard while accepting who the president is.

You don't have to agree with the President Elect. But he won the election while playing within the same rules as his opponent and the presidents before him.

It's time to look at making sure your voice is heard while accepting who the president is.

You can accept that he's the president and still say he's a racist bigoted prick who got to where he is by telling whatever lies he felt like.

Thats your right as an American. They're just choosing not to do that because money

Foffy

Banned
They've very likely accepted this is the broth we all live in.

Yes, he's a danger, but he's a danger we have to live with.

Chumley

Banned
These people really don't have any principles, do they?

lmao no, none at all. SC is full of sociopaths, especially at the upper levels. I can't count the number of pieces I've read about them talking about homeless people in SF like they're basically scum that should be swept off the street.

Septimius

Why are everyone so eager to call it out being a lack of principles? He's the president elect of the United States. Why would you want to be on his bad side?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You can accept that he's the president and still say he's a racist bigoted prick who got to where he is by telling whatever lies he felt like.

Thats your right as an American. They're just choosing not to do that because money

Or maybe because their voices are influential and they are seeing how young people in this country are twisting those words to justify violent behavior.

They play a part in unifying this country just like the President does and just like those young people need to.

samn

I hope you all feel comfortable having your browsing history, intimate conversations, and whereabouts hoovered up by the Trump administration. Delivered to him on a platter by Silicon Valley.

I cannot get past this 'open mind' bullshit. It's not the sign of an adult, it's the sign of a naive child desperately scrambling for a silver lining.

Or maybe because their voices are influential and they are seeing how young people in this country are twisting those words to justify violent behavior.

They play a part in unifying this country just like the President does and just like those young people need to.

Im not saying they need to be as brash as I suggested. Certainly they can be careful with phrasing. But there's a fine line between playing nice to achieve something and brushing problems aside entirely. I fear they risk the latter

Squalor

Clearly you mean how Trump's rhetoric is leading to hate crimes against minorities.

You, obviously, wouldn't be trying to twist this into something else. No way you would do that…

Jeels

Zuckerberg has done some questionable stuff in the past so this is not at all surprising. That guy has no moral ground to stand on. He is the poster boy of new money gone bad.

Toxi

Banned

You really need to work on your spin.

My take is they don't want him to wreck the country and all of the consumers who live in it. I don't see the spineless shit yall do. You deal with the hand you are given. What do you want them to REALLY do? What can they do to make YOU feel better?

Woorloog

Banned
Why are everyone so eager to call it out being a lack of principles? He's the president elect of the United States. Why would you want to be on his bad side?

If they had human decency, they'd oppose Trump and Republicans, especially their bigoted policies. Hell, if they said they'd support him after they drop those policies, that'd be at least palatable.

But it seems most rich people are against basic human rights.

Septimius

Because it's a free country and not some dictatorship where you need to be afraid of your leader?

It's not about being afraid. It's just that he is going to be the president. It makes sense rooting for a candidate you see better fit before the election, but it also makes sense accepting the fact and congratulating Trump. He won, there's nothing really to do about that. I get that people are in the streets opposing his presidency, and while it says a lot about who's elected, it won't change anything.

Makonero

Apparently if you're white and rich, Trump is only a minor inconvenience

Which explains why Hillary was so cavalier and didn't bother campaigning as hard as she should have

I hope you all feel comfortable having your browsing history, intimate conversations, and whereabouts hoovered up by the Trump administration. Delivered to him on a platter by Silicon Valley.
Obama wasn't exactly very strong on the privacy front either.

Jeels

My take is they don't want him to wreck the country and all of the consumers who live in it. I don't see the spineless shit yall do. You deal with the hand you are given. What do you want them to REALLY do? What can they do to make YOU feel better?

You say "we will support our new president in any way we can while fighting against his policies of x, y, z" like someone with a backbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom