• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Magazine Dirty News (Squeenix loves PSP, EGM was right!)

Jonnyram

F-Zero, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, Mario, Paper Mario RPG, Pilot Wings, Metroid, godnoonehasabloodyclueitcouldbeanything!!!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
F-Zero, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, Mario, Paper Mario RPG, Pilot Wings, Metroid, godnoonehasabloodyclueitcouldbeanything!!!
Kid Icarus?

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
No, noone posted it because it's the biggest pile of non-news I've ever seen.
"Oh, Nintendo will announce a sequel to one of their popular series soon."
THANKS!

Pokemon Gold and Silver remakes for DS

DUN DUN DUN

this thread is full of shhh8

I'm counting the days now until I can finally be like these guys around here who have a Wii

I can't believe I have not seen anything about Mario Galaxy

Chris Michael said:
PLZ be Metroid Dread, Nintendo has a real shit DS line up and 2D Metroid would help redeem it.

please don't be for Wii

Chris Michael
Scheißekopf
(Today, 06:22 PM)

And your avatar isn't helping anyone take you seriously.

Deku

Banned
Sorry Chris I have no idea what that tag means. I kinda posted right at the same time you did so I didn't see your post.

I also disagree that the DS has a drought. 2007 might be its best year and I'm sure more titles will be announced.

Wii on the other hand needs more games.

Edit: ok I ran it through babelfish. Is it what Babelfish tells me? :lol

Deku said:
Sorry Chris I have no idea what that tag means. I kinda posted right at the same time you did so I didn't see your post.

I also disagree that the DS has a drought. 2007 might be its best year and I'm sure more titles will be announced.

I was pointing to my avatar.

I never said DS had a drought. I said that Nintendo itself has a crap lineup of games for the DS right now. They're even screwing up my precious Zelda.. ;_;

Deku

Banned
Chris Michael said:
I was pointing to my avatar.

I never said DS had a drought. I said that Nintendo itself has a crap lineup of games for the DS right now. They're even screwing up my precious Zelda.. ;_;

oh i get it. You don't think Phantom Hourglass is a good Zelda? I liked it and the controls were very intuitive.

jj984jj

Now I'm upset because I was excited to play FE which is launching on Feb. 22nd in Japan and Chris & Deku just reminded me that I don't have a Wii. :(

Zweisy1

Ethelred, You are awesome. I'm with you on almost every point. Square has turned into the Eastern EA in that they aren't really flexing their creative muscles so much as going for the easy money. Bushido Blade, Parasite Eve, Ergheiz, and Einhander all ranged from average to above average, yet they were infused with Square's style, which made it more than your average fighter or survival horror. Now it's Action RPG, RPG, RPG, RPG, Action RPG, RPG... and a lot of these games have very similar aesthetics. They use to be a well-rounded software company like Capcom or Konami, now they are basically a one-trick pony.

One trick pony is pretty much all they've ever been.. Not that they always do that one trick well either...

The only good non RPGs I can think of from Square are Einhander and the Rad Racer games on the NES.
Tobal's good but that Dream Factory and Bushido Blade was by Lightweight.

Link1110

me yesterday said:
Is this remake being done by the Enix side? "Arusu" was the screenshot name for the main characters in DQ6 and DQ7 (Maybe the DQ3 SFC remake, too, I'll have to check when I get home.)

OK, got some scans. And its only DQ3sfc and DQ7, not DQ6 which uses "Enikusu" in hiragana.

55941120070117_172848_0_big

Just a reminder. Note the top name.

dq3.png

DQ3sfc.

dq7.png

dq7man.png

DQ7

Fady K

Mana Knight said:
Excellent post Fady K. IMO, Square Enix has their ups and downs, but they are still a quality developer. I agree, the only time they were down was in 2001, only releasing FFX themselves (and publishing games like The Bouncer and Driving Emotion). I liked most every Square Enix game I bought for PS2 (Yes, I will say that FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus is the best action shooter of 2006 IMO), and Advent Children is one of the best movies.

I'm glad to see Square Enix gives support to PSP. :)

My only complaint with Square Enix has to do with the slow process of their 1st development team (it seems to take them forever to bring games out). But, when their games do come out, they are some of the best I ever played, so the wait is worth it.

Thanks man :D I didnt like Dirge of Cerberus too much, but I loved Advent Children.

elostyle said:
Are you guys married or something?

Surprisingly enough, some people tend to agree with each other sometimes :0 :0 :0

Error2k4 said:
I was starting to wonder

Lame

ethelred said:
Jesus crap, dude, take a few breaths in there, maybe try some ritalin.

I never said Square, Enix, or Square Enix "died," on the PS2 or otherwise. What I did say was that a good bit of their creativity and talent died in the transitioning from the PSX era to the PS2 era, and I think that's pretty undeniable. The company took a steep decline last gen, from the PSX (which was in both companies were in their absolute prime).

On the PSX, both of these companies had an attitude of experimentation and diversity and innovation in their gameplay, in their visual styles, in creating brand new franchises. It wasn't all just Final Fantasy Tactics -- they were creating Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Xeno, Musashi, Valkyrie Profile... and on and on. Even when they weren't creating new franchises but instead working within the confines of established brands, oft times these series were far at their best. I mean, take Front Mission 3 -- still the best in the series. Star Ocean II, best in the series. DQVII ****ing rocks.

They were trying new things with gameplay (PE, VP, FFVIII, VS, Legend of Mana), trying new things in story presentation (Xenogears, PE, VP, VS, etc.), new things with visuals (moving into 3D with the Final Fantasy games, the incredibly cool styles of Legend of Mana and SaGa Frontier II, the high quality 2D gorgeousness of Valkyrie Profile)... not just creativity, but successful creativity.

That took a big hit on the PS2 (and on the GBA). Sorry, but it did. Their publishing projects were lower in quality, most of their franchises were lowered in quality, and they showed more of an outright averseness to experimentation, especially in creating new franchises. They created only a few, and those they did... well, the big one is Kingdom Hearts, which still rides the coattails not only of Final Fantasy, but also of Disney. Others like Code Age Commanders and Drakengard were largely failures.

Again: I'm not saying the company or companies died. I'm saying it was a decline in quality from their best output ever (the PSX) and second best (SNES), and that some of their creativity died -- which is understandable, given Square's financial troubles early on and then the rocky growing pains period after the merger. But it still afflicted their games output, regardless of the "whys."

I'm heartened by their approach so far on the DS because that lost creativity and experimentation DOES seem to be reviving itself. They're creating at least one of what appears to be a genuinely good, genuinely new franchise in Subarashiki Kono Sekai, they're experimenting with new visual styles again, they're trying some genuinely interesting new stuff from a gameplay perspective (HoM, Revenant Wings, DQIX, Chocobo's Tales, IAWW) and I'm encouraged by this trend and really looking forward to seeing where they continue to go with this. Like Ponn said, it's a combination of a few factors... the almost guaranteed financial success with their games, the low development costs, the high user base, the unique build of the hardware, etc.

And I think you're wrong. I think these games look extremely good, and I think they've been getting the positive buzz (from the people who've played them) to back that up. And they're demonstrative of the kind of creativity and experimentation I missed from Square Enix of late. No, obviously three games alone aren't going to compare to their entire excellent PSX output, but that's hardly a fair comparison anyway.

I agree that the company took a step decline from the PSX with the PS2, as ive mentioned in my post with examples like the Bouncer, Driving Emotion Type S, and World Fantasista. As for when you mentioned some of the series, have you tried Front Mission 5? Youd be surprised at how good it is that it even surpasses 3 in many ways. Also, and Im sure many would disagree here, but Final Fantasy XII is the most fun Ive had in any final fantasy game since VII (which was the best one for me, even though there seem to be a lot of haters here). I also thought Dragon Quest VIII bested VII and as for original content I do think that they didnt come up with a lot of new IPs at all, in fact, Kingdom Hearts is one of the only new ones that they came up with that I think is on the quality of their PSX games.

Now for what theyre doing today, im pleased with a lot of their stuff as a lot of it looks very promising - namely FFXIII/vsXIII, DQIX, KH2: Final Mix+, and Its a Wonderful World. Its just that I dont personally see much to be excited about in Heroes of Mana, Chocobo Tales, or FFXII: RW like you do, its a difference of opinion, surely. I would personally buy them for obvious reasons - i would like to see what their next take on the FFXII world is, i love SRPGs, and the Chocobo game seems like a fun one. But these dont, by any means, break any new ground for a Square Enix fan like me.

I personally think that that time did not come yet, but I sure as hell hope it well, because I truly miss the days when Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, and Parasite Eve II (yes, i like that game a lot) released so closely together. With much of their focus on their pillars now - Final Fantasy, Mana (not much of a pillar - but three games in two years), and Dragon Quest, i dont see much really - games to be excited about sure, but not in terms of new IPs like what they had with Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, and such.

Sure, Code Age Commanders was a failure - but so was Threads of Fate/Dew Prism (at the same level), or some of the other stuff like Racing Lagoon and Chocobo's Dungeon 2. And as for Drakengard, it was all Cavia's work, and they almost had nothing to do with publishing the second one in the US/Europe.

I agree that comparing these games to the entire PSX RPG experience they brought us is unfair, but I also think that its still too early to judge these games. I played the FFXII demo and was a little put off, and that has nothing to do with the way I see it today. More to the point however, these games definitely look promising, and i will most likely purchase all of them if i get the chance, but the only two out of 10 upcoming SE DS games that i highly look up to are DQIX (and im still not so sure about them stripping stuff off the offline experience to put some focus on online which unfortunately is not the kind of gaming I get into) and Its A Wonderful World - which is looking brilliant and does compare to the great shit they made back in the day, at least it comes close.

If FFXII: RW was extremely fun and had a good story and Heroes of Mana was excellent in the end too (not saleswise, GAMEplay wise) then thats great for us, Ethelred, as it would be a good indication of a better Square-Enix on the horizon.

Im not going to be pessimistic about it, I love Square-Enix a whole lot, since the day Final Fantasy V hit (back when they were Square), and I look forward to a better tommorow for the company.

Kandinsky said:
I think its time for Bebpo to give his "rpg overlord" tag to ethelred :)

Bebpo will always remain as the RPG overlord in GAF's heart :D

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Why does the chocobo look like an old man?
Any new content though? 'cause if so, sold!
Edit - Looks like FF1 has been kept using MP

jj984jj

They look ...different, if they change everything in FFII I'd get it, finished FFI too many times.

h-104_65693_ff204.jpg.jpg

WTF? Chocobo man-child?

Edit: Beatean.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Matix said:
Looks pretty hot....

if it was for a budget price on the PlayStation-Network.
The world is just not ready again for good looking 2d games "/

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Licensing RPGMaker Engine 3.0 is expensive.

they put their E teams on it, at least use the money you saved from using korean children to develop the titles to put that shit together. And add some superfluous dungeons and wifi content, for christ's sake! This is the 30th time you're making this shit, SquareEnix.

Top Bottom