• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with awful people online and anime avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
What is the connection that I'm missing? Whenever there is an awful person on Twitter more than likely they are using an anime avatar. It gives Anime a bad rep and I don't know why they use them.

The sad truth is there is massive overlap between anime fans and alt-right losers. Both are generally socially awkward, frustrated young men who want to blame their problems on the nebulous "SJWs" that dislike the misogyny that goes on in a lot of anime shows.

Kusagari

What is the connection that I'm missing? Whenever there is an awful person on Twitter more than likely they are using an anime avatar. It gives Anime a bad rep and I don't know why they use them.

Because much of the alt-right is made up of losers from 4chan.

Volimar

You only notice it when it fits your definition. Plenty of assholes out there who don't have anime avatars and plenty of people with anime avatars that are cool folks.

Some anime is filled with a lot of regressive, sexist and offensive tropes and themes. A lot of it also tends to feature immature power or sexual fantasy storylines. So they're drawn to it and it's a bit of a thumb in the eye to associate yourself with the most offensive elements of it.

Also 4chan. It's an anime heavy image board and where a lot of these people get their start in fuckery.

Same reason you use a videogame avatar probably. And there's likely a correlation between asocial people living in their mothers basement , being alt-right and watching large amounts of anime, is the frank answer.

I don't think there's much of connection other than the current alt-right sorta stemming from 4chan which already had a large anime following.

Oberon

Banned
aifjlol.gif

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Like every time this subject comes up, this thread is giving me the urge to get an anime avatar out of spite.

Then again I am garbage so maybe it's just the right thing to do.

SkyOdin

Because much of the alt-right is made up of losers from 4chan.
This. Places like 4chan that rejected moderation turned into cess-pits that were co-opted by extremists into recruiting grounds. Also, confirmation bias. I don't think the alt-right is related to anime specifically ao much as nerd culture in general. Videogaming, anime, tabletop gaming, comics, fantasy and popular movie/television fandoms have all produced alt-right types.

4chan was founded because moot wanted a place to talk about anime.

Kickz

I dunno, anime is just a medium like books or movies, etc.

Not sure a characterization can be attributed to consumers of an entire medium

I hear Richard Spencer likes Depeche Mode. I've decided to stop listening to them as well because I easily surrender things to a group of people who try to co-opt things I like.

Anime is filled to the brim with awful tropes.
In recent years a good chunk of anime also exclusively caters to stunted manchildren which is what most of the modern Nazis that don't live in the boonies are comprised of.

Not all anime fans are Nazis, but most modern Nazis are anime fans.

Laiza

Anime is filled to the brim with awful tropes.
In recent years a good chunk of anime also exclusively caters to stunted manchildren which is what most of the modern Nazis that don't live in the boonies are comprised of.
Yep. Even as a consumer of anime (and Japanese media in general) I recognize that I have no choice but to filter out a significant chunk of the content that is produced because so much of it is not just garbage, but outright disgusting garbage that pushes some real shitty (mostly anti-women) tropes.

These same tropes naturally attract a certain audience. You can figure out the rest yourself just by browsing /r/anime or 4chan's /a/.

I've blocked quite a few alt right idiots on twitter who also happen to have anime avatars. There is a pretty big overlap, makes me uncomfortable.

Fuchsdh

Honestly, probably nothing. We're good at seeing patterns we want to see. Like the stereotypes people talked about in the "militant vegan" thread, unless someone does some rigorous studies its validity as a trope is down to anecdotal evidence at best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anime fandom on the internet tends to be light on social standards. If you spend a lot of time in that environment without a counterbalancing force, it normalizes shitty behavior for you. With the advent of Twitter, we're just seeing the results of that process of isolation-then-radicalization.

Also this is why I don't truck with the "containment board" arguments when it comes to reddit administration. All it does is allow people to congregate and fuel each others' shittiness, which will eventually spill over into the mainstream.

There's a pretty big overlap with alt-righters/Nazis and anime fans, and theres a juxtaposition that they like between a cute anime character alongside a hateful viewpoint.

jbug617

Banned
Just to make it clear, I'm not shitting on anime. I love anime. It's weird that something I really enjoy get associated with those types of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom