• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with awful people online and anime avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
Anime is for jerks

aifjlol.gif

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
maxresdefault.jpg

On a side note, just finished Code Geass. Blew my fucking balls off.

opoth

Banned
It's too bad, as someone pushing 40 I grew up with Robotech, partook in some of the better anime series in the 90s like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star and I'd really like to be into it now, but it all seems to be about power levels and creeping on little girls, the alt-right's obsession with it aside.

It's something on paper i think I would like to be into in terms of a story/art delivery medium (had a blast with P5) but it's not speaking to me at all with its current tropes and creeper fanbase.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I remember the good old days on Gamespot where you could spot all the pro-Bush/pro-war posters by their Ghost Recon avatars.

3d women have been corrupted by feminism and cultural marxism. All they have left are the 2D girls.

The anime-right is one of the worst things to happen to the internet.

Shoeless

Okay, probably this questions has been answered somewhere in some other discussion on the Internet, but since I'm reading this for the first time, I have to ask, how is it not ideologically in conflict for a white supremacist to use Japanese animation as an avatar online? How can an Alt-Righter/White Supremacist even LIKE some dirty, no good, foreign cartoon made by them yella people that attacked Pearl Harbor? Do they not see the inherent problem in this?

Big One

Banned
There's more overlap with the video game fandom and the alt-right than there is with the anime fandom, yet GAF still exists. Gamergate alone should prove this. Fuck off with this shitty mentality that anime avatar = person with shitty values.

jackal27

Banned
My best friend has had an anime avatar for as long as I can remember and is one of the sweetest people in the world.

I think this is mostly just a question of "Why is 4chan horrible?"

mlclmtckr

Banned
Okay, probably this questions has been answered somewhere in some other discussion on the Internet, but since I'm reading this for the first time, I have to ask, how is it not ideologically in conflict for a white supremacist to use Japanese animation as an avatar online? How can an Alt-Righter/White Supremacist even LIKE some dirty, no good, foreign cartoon made by them yella people that attacked Pearl Harbor? Do they not see the inherent problem in this?

These people don't have, like, coherent worldviews that can be undermined with actual reality.

Instro

I've assumed that there is some overlap, and also that a lot of them are not even anime fans but have co-opted it as part of their trolling.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I ve read a few shitty comments, on gaf, because of my avatar. Posts like the one you did only fuel the generalization.
A lot of the distaste for anime avatars around here also partially stems from a shallow understanding of the medium in general.

aeolist

Banned

white supremacists tend to admire other military ethno-nationalist states even if they weren't run by whites, so there's a good deal of affection for WW2 japan.

obviously there are inconsistencies with the rest of their views but people are always complicated and at the root of it they worship raw power and violent strength so it's not too surprising.

Bossking

Banned
How many alt-right accounts have you seen with a Steven Universe avatar?

It's a real trend. Not just some meme on GAF.

Oh god, don't even open that can of worms. Steven Universe fans have done some truly awful shit.

Anime is a medium. Like all mediums, whether it's movies, comics, video games, painting, whatever a bunch of people like to make, 99% of it will be garbage. Movies are also filled with tropey, misogynistic, creepy shit, but you would be stupid to see someone with an avatar of some Adam Sandler movie and think "ew, one of those movie-lovin' weirdos" instead of "oh god, are you an actual Adam Sandler fan in the year 2017".

Judge the content, not the entire medium. If it's some asshole with panty-flashing little girl from Strike Witches in a MAGA hat, then yeah, fuck 'em.

Shoeless

white supremacists tend to admire other military ethno-nationalist states even if they weren't run by whites, so there's a good deal of affection for WW2 japan.

obviously there are inconsistencies with the rest of their views but people are always complicated and at the root of it they worship raw power and violent strength so it's not too surprising.

I guess this probably also explains the popularity of Polynesian Tiki Torches made in China among the Ubermensch, so okay, I buy it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Your mistake is thinking white-supremacy/alt-right is rational.

What these movements amount to, pretty much, is a restoration of the cultural status quo of the maybe late 80s to early 00s which, actually, encompasses the anime boom in America. The age group of alt-right/gg/neo-nazi, at least for the youth portions of it, aligns perfectly with that time frame where anime reached peak popularity in America.
I ve read a few shitty comments, on gaf, because of my avatar. Posts like the one you did only fuel the generalization.

That's just shitposting and it was cleaned up by now last I heard.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Asian fetishism.

aeolist

Banned
I guess this probably also explains the popularity of Polynesian Tiki Torches made in China among the Ubermensch, so okay, I buy it.

well that's just because these people are bourgeoisie suburbanites who couldn't make anything with their hands if you held a gun to their heads

espher

I remember when the mix of people I met at my campus' anime night was like 45% 'normal' students with a geeky interest 50% socially maladjusted but still nice people, and like 5% assholes that got banned within a night or two.

Of course, that was 15-20 years ago, now. :p

OP has an avatar of a character who is introduced in the 1st game by saying he wants to rape the main characters female friend.

Just sayin.

Ogodei

I did see a MAGA cap on top of a cosplayer at Otakon yesterday.

But there's also a lot of diversity in the anime fandom. So many non-whites at the con, and many folks absorb the more inspiring and less creepy side of the fandom as well.

I've seen no shortage of loudly pro-social justice folks, women, and LGBTQ folks with anime avatars on Twitter. Admittedly, tend to be of a different style of anime, though Kill La Kill's appeal apparently transcends politics

Shoeless

What these movements amount to, pretty much, is a restoration of the cultural status quo of the maybe late 80s to early 00s which, actually, encompasses the anime boom in America. The age group of alt-right/gg/neo-nazi, at least for the youth portions of it, aligns perfectly with that time frame where anime reached peak popularity in America.

You're making me start the suspect that the death of Roy Fokker in Robotech was the spark that began a conflagration of white pride in America as children everywhere realized "Only the white man died in Robotech. We have to push back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom