• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with awful people online and anime avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Wait till I tell you that people in prison for murder have enjoyed playing Animal Crossing, Yakuza and Halo.

Shitty people enjoy things that good people enjoy. Anonymity leads people to choose avatars of things like they to hide who they really are. It's funny it often is anime avatars but people who lose it and start saying they can't watch anime ever again need to chill and remember life is for enjoying. Watch anime. Be cool. Enjoy life.

The Kree

Banned
Is this like when you're waiting for your friend to pick you up and they drive a red car and all you see is red cars passing by with them not inside?

Oberon

Banned
jojo avatars are cool right

PsqPD.png

just saying

I love jojo btw this is just a joke

Maxinas

The Japanese were once Nazi allies and sympathizers. We still have individuals who deny all Japanese war crimes. It all makes sense now; anime is just a way to get all the baka gaijin pigs under their control for the inevitable rise of the New Japanese Empire.

Miyazaki was right all along. Anime was a mistake.

Kthulhu

Oh god, don't even open that can of worms. Steven Universe fans have done some truly awful shit.

Anime is a medium. Like all mediums, whether it's movies, comics, video games, painting, whatever a bunch of people like to make, 99% of it will be garbage. Movies are also filled with tropey, misogynistic, creepy shit, but you would be stupid to see someone with an avatar of some Adam Sandler movie and think "ew, one of those movie-lovin' weirdos" instead of "oh god, are you an actual Adam Sandler fan in the year 2017".

Judge the content, not the entire medium. If it's some asshole with panty-flashing little girl from Strike Witches in a MAGA hat, then yeah, fuck 'em.

I'm not judging the medium. I explained in the first page why so many alt-right accounts have anime avatars

jaekeem

The sad truth is there is massive overlap between anime fans and alt-right losers. Both are generally socially awkward, frustrated young men who want to blame their problems on the nebulous "SJWs" that dislike the misogyny that goes on in a lot of anime shows.

Amen

Audioboxer

I recall reading one of the mods here stating a disproportionate number of accounts they ban have anime avatars.

When you're banned you cannot change your avatar. So imagine desperately wanting to update your anime avatar to your latest most favourite show and having to stare at an old show avatar forever
and your banned message

Ogodei

PsqPD.png

just saying

I love jojo btw this is just a joke

Jojo did sort of downplay the badness of the Nazis by having part II be set before World War II started, and setting the Nazis against vampires as reluctant allies, but Japan's blindspot regarding WWII is huge, even for Japanese who aren't trying to be apologist shitheads.

The sad truth is there is massive overlap between anime fans and alt-right losers. Both are generally socially awkward, frustrated young men who want to blame their problems on the nebulous "SJWs" that dislike the misogyny that goes on in a lot of anime shows.

Wow

Yeah I am out of this fucked up thread. I know a large portion of GAF likes to shit all over anyone that happens to enjoy anime but this thread is taking it to another level. Enjoy the generalizations!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How you choose to visually represent yourself obviously says something about you. It shouldn't be surprising that guys that secretly want to fuck 8 year old cartoon girls are anti-social and terrible.

Line_HTX

I mean, its just an avatar idk. I've had an anime avatar too and I wouldnt blame anyone for assuming the worst from first glance.

The problem is it's beating a dead horse whenever an awful horrendous alt-right Neo-Nazi event happens and someone makes tries to make that stupid connection.

Like this Batman.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anime video game avatars thinking they're immune from anime avatar hate
laugh.gif

^The only real exception I've seen is with Dragon Ball related avatars.

Yeah. There's a difference between a normal anime avatar and a moeshit anime avatar. The former are just people who like anime, the latter are alt-right assholes like 99% of the time.
The perfect storm of a cross-section of incels, neckbeards, and nazis.

Joyful

I have been called bad before. Many have said I do things that are not correct to do. I don't believe in talk such as this. I am nice man, with happy feelings. all of the time

I imagine most of them previously sported pepe avatars, but now that pepe is pretty much a hate symbol and almost always lets us know the person behind the avatar is an alt-right loser, they resorted to shitty anime waifus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom