• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

illadelph

enzo_gt said:
Lil Wayne 6'7' Video.

For a pretty dope song, this is the most WTF video I've seen. Now I agree with you guys who said Hype fell off. I hate super literal interpretations of lyrics, it's like the video is just parodying the song.

I kinda liked it, I felt that it matched wayne's style pretty well. It was definitely better than the usual money and bitches type shit. I do agree that it felt almost like a parody of the song, but the song really is about nothing but meaningless punchlines so whatever.

Not a fan of Cory Gunz, he needs to get the fuck outta here.

The new Shady records song is like a clusterfuck of six rappers basically showing that they are decent at rapping, but everybody knew that already. It's not bad, but I really got nothing from it. Tupac was/is extremely popular because his shit always sounded good and all his songs were actually about something. This is the same exact reason why Eminem is so popular with the mainstream, his most successful singles (Lose Yourself, Stan, Cleaning Out My Closet, Mockingbird, Sing for the Moment, Hailie's Song, When I'm Gone, the recent Not Afraid and Love the Way You Lie, etc) have been about actual shit instead of dissing a non-existent nobody like he and so many other "lyrical" rappers fall into the habit of doing. It's like dudes can't think of anything to rap about so they find a beat and try to "go hard" on it, "killing" a beat instead of writing with a flow and rhyme scheme that fits the instrumental and sounds good. Now Em actually has the ability to make both types of songs successfully, and his ability to write meaningful songs as well as show off technical prowess in a sonically-pleasing manner is what makes him so good.

But take someone like Cory Gunz, who gets on a song with Wayne and tries to lyrically "go in" with his verse..... he raps about nothing interesting at all and sounds like ass.

m3k

nas vs jay z

even jay admits he lost that one... well up until recently he changed his mind to takeover was a better song

jay stays winning but cmon now

Tokubetsu

ENCRK.jpg

This is getting heavy rotation.

RJT

Jay-Z won when he said "You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song". Because it's so true...

Anyway, best beef ever. Two amazing songs, brought the best Nas album in years, nobody got hurt.

m3k

RJT said:
Jay-Z won when he said "You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song". Because it's so true...

Anyway, best beef ever. Two amazing songs, brought the best Nas album in years, nobody got hurt.

how much of biggies rhymes gonna come out of your fat lips?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
K.Jack said:

Let's have another 15 pages of which Wu Tang member has the sexiest fronts! Or which Nas album had the lamest beats.

I love the east stuff but saying DAT BIAS in GAF-HOP is funny on so many levels

Blackace

illadelph said:
I kinda liked it, I felt that it matched wayne's style pretty well. It was definitely better than the usual money and bitches type shit. I do agree that it felt almost like a parody of the song, but the song really is about nothing but meaningless punchlines so whatever.

Well the song is just a parody of A Mili

Blackace

Speaking of dis tracks..

Quik ending MC Eiht's career is another gem Dolla + Sense

Tell me why you act so scary?/Givin' your set a bad name with your misspelled name/E-I-H-T, now should I continue?/Yeah, you left out the G 'cause the G ain't in you.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Blackace said:
Speaking of dis tracks..

Quik ending MC Eiht's career is another gem Dolla + Sense

I was going to post this but last time I said it's one of the most significant diss tracks some posters seemed to dismiss it. Lack of west coast love on here perhaps. Dollaz n Sense, despite having some corny lines, has hands down my favorite beat on any diss song ever. And the line you quoted is in my mind the most destructive diss line ever because of exactly what you said, it ended mc eihts career. That might seem like whatever, but for someone who was listening to eiht and CMW at the time, he wasn't just a B grade rapper, he was on the rise, catching huge buzz (the menace to society soundtrack brought him a lot of attention) and looked like he might blow. And Quik shit all over that.
Another reason I love it is I hate vague diss songs, tracks where its obvious the rapper is dissing someone but they never say names or say anything specific enough to clue you in. Its the reason I love "calling out names" from kurupt despite it also having some corny lines. He sounded angry, genuinely pissed off. And he came straight out with it. It was refreshing to hear a rapper just air our his beef like that.

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
I ...
WILL ...
NOT ...
LOSE.

is much more memorable than "R.O.C., we running this rap shit" over and over. Takeover screams some shoddily put together "freestyle."

Yeah and those "Gay-Z and Cockafella" lines are deeper than a submarine.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
Wait Hype directed that garbage? This is seriously heartbreaking. Seeing one of your heros growing up failing so hard.

Everyone else figured out how to use a fisheye lense and he suddenly he had nothing unique to offer anymore.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Blackace said:
Let's have another 15 pages of which Wu Tang member has the sexiest fronts! Or which Nas album had the lamest beats.

I love the east stuff but saying DAT BIAS in GAF-HOP is funny on so many levels

Word.

siddx

DominoKid said:
except The World is Yours pisses on Dead Presidents.

Doesn't just piss on it, holds it down and shoves it's dick in it's mouth and unloads till it's coming out of it's god damn ears.

dskillzhtown

siddx said:
I was going to post this but last time I said it's one of the most significant diss tracks some posters seemed to dismiss it. Lack of west coast love on here perhaps. Dollaz n Sense, despite having some corny lines, has hands down my favorite beat on any diss song ever. And the line you quoted is in my mind the most destructive diss line ever because of exactly what you said, it ended mc eihts career. That might seem like whatever, but for someone who was listening to eiht and CMW at the time, he wasn't just a B grade rapper, he was on the rise, catching huge buzz (the menace to society soundtrack brought him a lot of attention) and looked like he might blow. And Quik shit all over that.
Another reason I love it is I hate vague diss songs, tracks where its obvious the rapper is dissing someone but they never say names or say anything specific enough to clue you in. Its the reason I love "calling out names" from kurupt despite it also having some corny lines. He sounded angry, genuinely pissed off. And he came straight out with it. It was refreshing to hear a rapper just air our his beef like that.

All the west coast disses in that period were amazing. I do wish the South and West got more discussion in this thread in general.

Tokubetsu

dskillzhtown said:
All the west coast disses in that period were amazing. I do wish the South and West got more discussion in this thread in general.

Everytime I post some new west stuff, it's pretty much only hires responding to me.

Tokubetsu

Pinko Marx said:
Like the 3rd time I've seen this album recommended. Guess its time to give it a listen.

It's really fucking good. I know a lot of dudes here like Kendrick Lamar and Schoolboy is part of the same camp but I think he's better. I only really like P&P and Ignorance Is Bliss by Lamar. Schoolboys flow is just better and he's a lot more versatile.

dskillzhtown

Tokubetsu said:
Everytime I post some new west stuff, it's pretty much only hires responding to me.

I hear ya. I am not in this thread hourly or even daily. I have posted a few south tapes/videos shit that got quickly ignored as well. Oh well. Wish there was a bit more diversity in discussion.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
I love west coast shit, but cats like Nipsey and Lamar aren't my cup of tea. Nor do I like any of the Bay artists' styles. I guess I'm stuck in the 90s?

Wrote this post listening to 100 Miles and Runnin'.

Well I just listened to that Lasers album and it will be getting deleted off my MP3 players as it is garbage. I am a Lupe fan but what the fcuk is this shit. Pure commercial trash!

Lyrically it is pretty weak although 'All Black Everything' is an awesome track. The beats are not good at all. Too much of that rock/pop/electro shit!

kamspy

Yeah outside of Odd Future there isn't much new talent coming out of Cali (that I'm aware of). Kendrick will be a mixtape hero at best.

I try to spread some southern love in the thread though. The backpack bias is starting to wain. We are winning.

Double D

kobashi100 said:
Well I just listened to that Lasers album and it will be getting deleted off my MP3 players as it is garbage. I am a Lupe fan but what the fcuk is this shit. Pure commercial trash!

Lyrically it is pretty weak although 'All Black Everything' is an awesome track. The beats are not good at all. Too much of that rock/pop/electro shit!

"You could say it was a..."
*puts on sunglasses*
"....Fiasco"

YEEEAAAAAHHH!

Jay Sosa

Tokubetsu said:

This is getting heavy rotation.

Hell yeah this is amazing, thought it was posted before that's why I didn't post it.

I like it even better than KL's OD or the Jay Rock tape.

Especially these tracks is great:

Druggies with hoes

What's the word(Jay Rock has such an amazing voice)

He obviously listened to a lot of Kurupt growing up..

The entire Black Hippie group is pretty damn good, I hope we'll get a group album some day.

This and the Yung Nate's tape are in heavy rotation right now

I hear ya. I am not in this thread hourly or even daily. I have posted a few south tapes/videos shit that got quickly ignored as well. Oh well. Wish there was a bit more diversity in discussion.

I always dl your recommendations it's just that I almost never post in here anymore..

Btw: Have you heard anything about a new Ro album? Dude puts out my favorite track of all of last year and then kinda disappears..I thought he was gonna release a RnB record?

kamspy

kobashi100 said:

Track #4 sounds like Cher produced it.

kamspy said:
Yeah outside of Odd Future there isn't much new talent coming out of Cali (that I'm aware of). Kendrick will be a mixtape hero at best.

I try to spread some southern love in the thread though. The backpack bias is starting to wain. We are winning.

2010 was an amazing year for Cali. Flylo, Gonjasufi, and Intronaut all released top contenders for AOTY.

HiResDes

It was posted before, I even reviewed it, but it seems like it needed to be reposted anyway since people like to sleep.

...Toku you check out that freestyle?

kamspy

Pinko Marx said:
2010 was an amazing year for Cali. Flylo, Gonjasufi, and Intronaut all released top contenders for AOTY.

In what genre? I don't know much about Gonjasufi and Instronaut, but Gon sounds like a cool reggae vibe, and Intronaut is metal (didn't listen to it enough to form an opinion)

All I've heard from flying lotus is ambient techno remixes.

Tokubetsu

HiResDes said:
It was posted before, I even reviewed it, but it seems like it needed to be reposted anyway since people like to sleep.

...Toku you check out that freestyle?

Yea, it was pretty good. I don't really have anything to say haha. Freestyles aren't really my bag.

Acid08

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I love west coast shit, but cats like Nipsey and Lamar aren't my cup of tea. Nor do I like any of the Bay artists' styles. I guess I'm stuck in the 90s?

Wrote this post listening to 100 Miles and Runnin'.
You don't like gettin hyphy brah?

overcast

Anybody have any recommendations for the best mixtapes/albums that came out so far this year? Also, what should I dl from odd future, only heard yonkers. Been kind of out of the loop.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Probably posted already, but this song "2.0 Boys" isn't too bad. Has Eminem, Slaughterhouse, and Yelawolf.

http://rapradar.com/2011/03/02/new-music-eminem-ft-slaughterhouse-x-yelawolf-2-0-boys/

Also, where is D12? I see they have a new mixtape coming out, but what about a new album with Em?

Posted yesterday, and despite the initial reaction from this thread, I thought Budden has one of the best verses:

My men think in sync, roll with the best crew/
Move to the beat of the same drum without Lex Luger/

Guard your jewels and avoid large tools-
-cause after I spill you at the light, you be in a car pool/
Keep your distance from idiots, ’cause truth be told-
-they food for thought’s rotten, they gems are fool’s gold/

Talkin’ funds, niggas ain’t never seen stock/
I don’t need the key to the game, I pick a mean lock/

HiResDes

HiResDes said:
(CLICK ARTWORK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS)

*(From Left To Right, not in Ranking Order)*

Halo - HeatWriter II - This is one of those mixtapes that sounds better put together than a majority of albums. The production is immaculate, the features all are spectacular, yet somehow this cat that I've never heard of still shines. It definitely has a classic old-school chilled 90's boom-bap feel, and more importantly it never feels forced. Why more people didn't check it out is beyond me...

Schoolboy Q - Setbacks - When you've got a cosign from Kendrick Lamar you've got to be one dope dude. This former album released for free by Schoolboy is definitely worth six bucks, so much that to get it for free seems like stealing. I slept on him for too long, and while people are talking about Lupe's bullshit political pop single there are a bunch of relatively unknown guys releasing that no-nonsense dope shit on a regular basis.

9th Wonder & Actual Proof - The Talented Tenth - People talk about 9th Wonder falling off, but this tape is a testament to my plea that that is complete bullshit. This is 20-song mixtape/album made up of soulful beats and effortless flows.

Schyler Chaise- ForeignPlaces - Smooth and soulful, the perfect type of mixtape/album to blow a jay too. Just put this motherfucker on and chill out a little. I must give these guys extra points for such cohesion. He never manages to blow the high, if you know what I mean.

QuESt- The Reason: A Defense Mechanism - Man this mixtape was kind of divisive for me. At one hand I really appreciate Quest experimenting with a variety of sounds, which makes it never at any point boring. However, there is a little much poppy singing on the hooks for my taste, but Quest is such a fucking monster that it's hard to knock it much. And when the two mesh well, it really works, creating some of the catchiest stuff I've heard in a while. I'll just say that this mixtape/album's high points are up there with any hip-hop created in the past few years. This is the guy that should be getting threads dedicated to him...*Ends Cheapshot at Lupe*

J. NiCS X Numonics - Champion Rizla - Oh man there's nothing southern friend soulful goodness it feels almost as good as eating some of momma's homemade fried chicken. Another smooth type of tape, though with a southern flair including that infamous Numonics production ( of Co$$, Quest, Treazon, and Reks fame) and J. NiCS deep voice just makes everything so mellow even when he's talking about some serious shit. It definitely has a spiritual undertone too, though not excessively religious.

....The A-1 mixtape didn't make it on this list because it is actually old...Oh and Purp and Patron is very mediocre, don't kid yourself.
Last month's mixtape review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom