• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've missed GAF-Hop in my exile from GAF, and have never felt so angry I could not disagree with so many posts with arrogant posts of my own.

Drake has some sick skills, and is MUCH less fake than everyone makes him out to be. It is literally cool to hate Drake, but he makes good songs end of story and is pretty good at picking beats. Everyone is just mad that he has negative swag (biggest offense, he lacks some god damn character) and is getting money. Beyond like, likeable dude, who can spit when he puts the pen to the pad and stops doing his Wayne impression.

Won't listen to SvsWT, but Rich & Black is underwhelming, I expected more. /notjusttrollingraefansagain.

Yonkers is growing on me, but I still can't believe they blew up like this. Straight over my head, I hadn't even heard of Odd Future before Yonkers. Also, that skit sucked because the writers have never heard of comedic timing.

I want to hate Lasers, but a relatively big percentage of the songs I like, so I guess I like it? Not sure. Lupe pulled an L.A.X. on us, album with some decent tracks but has fucking Ne-Yo on every other song a lot of tracks that make you wonder.

Saigon album has some solid tracks, but theres no way he would meet the hype or anticipation that would have been, if it hadn't died out years ago anyways. Bring Me Down Pt. 2 and 3 and It's Alright are pretty good. Somehow Just Blaze tweaked that sub par Kanye beat to be better than it probably was.

Those Jeezy posters are fucking hilarious. Snowman :lol

HRD is cooking up his monthly mixtape thing I'm guessing, but anything absolutely mindblowing come out in the past 2 weeks that I can't miss out on?

Nas won, Jay took the prize money and the status.

Tokubetsu

LOZLINK said:
Nastradamus is his 3rd best album after Untitled and Illmatic. What the fuck are you on about

I'm coming for you. I don't sleep. I'm going to fucking murder you. One night, sometime soon, you're going to wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. It's going to be storming outside and you're going to see me in a lightning flash standing over your bed with a very large blade. You'll be dead before the next flash hits.

Nastradamus is a sonic abortion. I'm not even going to get into how you're putting it above God's Son, It Was Written or Stillmatic. Not even going to touch how even I Am... shits on it.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
LOZLINK said:
Nastradamus is his 3rd best album after Untitled and Illmatic. What the fuck are you on about

Whatever crack you are smoking it has rotted your goddamn brain.

IrishNinja

siddx said:
Also, I have a declaration.
Aint No Fun is the greatest hip hop song to sing along to ever made.

everybody's sloppy seconds to someone, so i cant abide that...but this might be some truth.

The NZA @ steam, im up for uh chessmaster? mebbe some TF2 when i step my shit up. also: Nas won, there's no debating this.

@ supporting shaolin v wu when it drops: i usually cop albums and dont even listen to the physical copies, is this gonna be on itunes? that might make more sense, unless the inside album art is somehow way better.

ps get at that order for protection from tokus, unless your kung-fu is strong enough to justify project windows, some of us have angels and owe me back belong higher up than at the bottom of nasty nas' catalog.

IrishNinja said:
everybody's sloppy seconds to someone, so i cant abide that...but this might be some truth.

The NZA @ steam, im up for uh chessmaster? mebbe some TF2 when i step my shit up. also: Nas won, there's no debating this.

@ supporting shaolin v wu when it drops: i usually cop albums and dont even listen to the physical copies, is this gonna be on itunes? that might make more sense, unless the inside album art is somehow way better.

yeah i was considering buying shaolin on the physical, but the album art is just too bad.

I can't believe I'm still reading Nas/Jay-Z arguments in 2011, this is amazing. I'm pretty sure I've had years taken off my life from the rage inducing arguments I used to have in junior high/high school about that "beef."

IrishNinja

Pinko Marx said:
yeah i was considering buying shaolin on the physical, but the album art is just too bad.

after bachalo's art on wu massacre, it's a big letdown. given the crossover love for wu (and cool martial arts flick-esque art of the past) its a real lost opportunity.

ps haha fuck you net wrecker, some of us lost our time in that debate in the first years of college. years from now? no one's gonna remember super ugly or condoms on ya baby seat, but ether will be taught in hip hop battles 101 as a strong template. the only "real life" revenge is jay having nas work under him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Net_Wrecker said:
I can't believe I'm still reading Nas/Jay-Z arguments in 2011, this is amazing. I'm pretty sure I've had years taken off my life from the rage inducing arguments I used to have in junior high/high school about that "beef."
There's no argument. Nas is the people's favourite and Jay is the critic's favourite. Nas stay catching Ls but people have begun to question Jay's omnipotent status as a media mogul. They're pretty much opposites in respect to different kinds of success.

Nas won the battle, Jay won the war. Nas reminds me of those dumbasses you meet at the barber shop trying to get people to sign up for a pyramid scheme, waxing poetic about the Nation of Islam and the white man being evil, Obama a puppet, etc etc. Kicking all this "knowledge" yet they're living with their moms and asking for hair cuts on credit.

Dude was once the biggest rapper on the scene, and even at his most commercial/worse was still highly respected...yet today is in heavy debt and married a got damn hoe. It's a damn shame.

siddx

Shit yeah, that was college era for me. I remember driving to class listening to the radio when rumors first broke about Jay fucking Nas's girl. The DJ's were going nuts talking about it.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
Nas won the battle, Jay won the war. Nas reminds me of those dumbasses you meet at the barber shop trying to get people to sign up for a pyramid scheme, waxing poetic about the Nation of Islam and the white man being evil, Obama a puppet, etc etc. Kicking all this "knowledge" yet they're living with their moms and asking for hair cuts on credit.

Dude was once the biggest rapper on the scene, and even at his most commercial/worse was still highly respected...yet today is in heavy debt and married a got damn hoe. It's a damn shame.

Life is hard man.

Kaizer

Banned
Man, I wish I would've been older during the Nas vs. Jay-Z beef so I could've experienced it with everyone else. It just seems like something that was really exciting for fans back then that you really don't see anymore in rap these days.

It's a shame Nas is where he's at today, he could be doing so much better. Nas definitely won the battle but Jay-Z still came out on top.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kaizer said:
Man, I wish I would've been older during the Nas vs. Jay-Z beef so I could've experienced it with everyone else. It just seems like something that was really exciting for fans back then that you really don't see anymore in rap these days.

It's a shame Nas is where he's at today, he could be doing so much better. Nas definitely won the battle but Jay-Z still came out on top.
Same, the only real hype hip hop event kind of thing I remember of recent was the Graduation vs. Curtis marketing ploy. Was calculated, but man, was a great ride.

I can't see anything in my time being into hip hop being comparable to stuff like that and East Coast/West Coast kind of events though.

overcast

I was too young to experience that beef as well. All I can say is illmatic is better than anything jay-z has ever made. But I think jay has the better overall discography. Wish my peers in school knew anything about hip hop. A choice few do, but just about everybody listens to 102.7 crap, and dubstep. But I do go to hs in so cal, so there you go.

LOZLINK

overcast said:
I was too young to experience that beef as well. All I can say is illmatic is better than anything jay-z has ever made. But I think jay has the better overall discography. Wish my peers in school knew anything about hip hop. A choice few do, but just about everybody listens to 102.7 crap, and dubstep. But I do go to hs in so cal, so there you go.
You think your friends don't listen to hip hop? I live in Australia ffs :lol

Baby Milo

overcast said:
you don't like dubstep brah?

overcast

Baby Milo said:
you don't like dubstep brah?
Eh. Me and some friends will play it in the car occasionally just to hear some dope bass. But I don't listen to it often, and overall just not a fan. Feel like it's just disjointed noises to me.

enzo_gt said:
Same, the only real hype hip hop event kind of thing I remember of recent was the Graduation vs. Curtis marketing ploy. Was calculated, but man, was a great ride.

I can't see anything in my time being into hip hop being comparable to stuff like that and East Coast/West Coast kind of events though.

There were tons

Soulja Boy Vs Ice T
Joe Budden Vs Saigon
Game Vs Joe Budden & Rass Kass
Jeezy Vs Gucci Mane
G-Unit Vs D-Block
50 Cent Vs Game
The Source Magzine Vs Eminem
Eminem & 50 Cent Vs Ja Rule & Murder Inc
50 Cent Vs Cam'ron
Eminem & Dr. Dre Vs Jermanie Dupri
Eminem Vs Mariah Carey
Kid Cudi Vs Wale
Cam'ron Vs Jay-Z
50 Cent Vs Rick Ross
Lil Kim Vs Nicki Minaj & Drake

There were PLENTY of beefs, the most talked about one besides the Jay-z vs nas would have to be 50 vs Ja Rule, since ja was at the top of his game and 50 made the fans turn on him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ThePrivateCookie said:
There were tons

Soulja Boy Vs Ice T
Joe Budden Vs Saigon
Jeezy Vs Gucci Mane
G-Unit Vs D-Block
50 Cent Vs Game
50 Cent Vs Cam'ron
Eminem Vs Mariah Carey
Kid Cudi Vs Wale
Cam'ron Vs Jay-Z
50 Cent Vs Rick Ross

There were PLENTY of beefs, the most talked about one besides the Jay-z vs nas would have to be 50 vs Ja Rule, since ja was at the top of his game and 50 made the fans turn on him.
Now that you remind me, some of those are pretty good. Interscope vs. Jermaine Dupri though? What was that about?

Also reminds me of my favourite opening lines to any youtube video ever:
Black Ice. Ice T. Silver the Navigator (?). Soulja Boy. Eat a dick. This n**** single handedly killed hip hop.

enzo_gt said:
Now that you remind me, some of those are pretty good. Interscope vs. Jermaine Dupri though? What was that about?

Also reminds me of my favourite opening lines to any youtube video ever:
Black Ice. Ice T. Silver the Navigator (?). Soulja Boy. Eat a dick. This n**** single handedly killed hip hop.

Eminem's new single, "Without Me," has been released to radio, and on its B-side — which has made its way onto underground mixtapes — Em and guest star Dr. Dre vocalize their disdain for Jermaine Dupri.

"What about Jermaine?" Em asks Dre on the song, titled "What You Say."

"F--- Jermaine, he don't belong speaking mine or Timbaland's name," Dre responds. "And don't think I don't read your little interviews and see what you're saying."

The latter line refers to the November 2001 issue of XXL magazine, where a boastful Jermaine Dupri spoke of his clout as a producer and favorably compared himself to Dr. Dre and Timbaland.

"That's my mentality music wise," Dupri was quoted as saying. "Whether it be Puff [or] anybody that people wanna call my competition, I will take them out. Hands down, ain't nobody in the industry that can do what I do. Not Dre, not Timbaland, not nobody."

Dre told MTV News earlier this month that he and Timbo were so heated that they contemplated collaborating on a dis song aimed at JD called "Papa Smurf."

"Well, it was a few negative things that Jermaine Dupri said about us in the XXL magazine, so we were gonna make a song dedicated to him," Dre explained. "He said me or Timbaland can't do what he does. I thought that was kinda crazy. That was cocky. He was just at my studio maybe about two or three weeks before that asking me to do a song with him. So I found that really funny."

If you listen to Dupri, there is no real beef. The producer said it's just a friendly competition of who can put out the most hits.

"I feel like it's all friendly," Dupri said of his comments. "I'm a fan of everybody's work from R. Kelly to Timbaland. Dr. Dre, I been listening to him since I was a little boy with N.W.A. He is the best at what he does, but it's a friendly competition with me. If the corporate people at Burger King and McDonald's see each other walking down the street, they're not gonna shoot each other or nothing stupid like that, but on TV it's war."

Which seems just fine with Dre. He said he has no problem with letting his "music do the talking."

"How does he figure we can't get with him?" the beat Doc scoffed. "Most of his artists would probably rather work with us anyways."

On "What You Say," Dre also refers to JD as a "Mini-Me" who runs around with several smaller versions of himself, and raps, "When I see you I'mma step on you/ And not even know it, you midget .../Over 80 million records sold/ And I ain't have to do it with 10 or 11-year-olds.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1453646/dre-rips-into-jermaine-dupri.jhtml?headlines=true

Eminem & Dr. Dre - "Say What You Say" (JD Diss)

Eminem, Xzbit, & Nate Dogg - "Say My Name" (JD Diss)

Basically JD said something about dr. dre in XXL a years back, and eminem & dr. dre went on a tirade. People seem to forget eminem was beef crazy back then, it's kinda silly when you look back at it now lol.

ThePrivateCookie said:
There were tons
50 Cent Vs Game
50 Cent Vs Rick Ross
these are the only ones worth really mentioning IMO

wow at these kids being too young to remember the hova nas beef, shit I vividly remeber the pac/big beef, the west side connection common beef, the doggpound bone thug beef, and just started listening to hip hop during the dre and easy e beef and bone thugs throwing subliminals at everyone who ever rapped fast

Baby Milo

Sigel vs. Jadakiss
Rocafella vs. everyone(jay and Nas overshadows this but Roc had everyone going after them early in the decade. Fat Joe,Cam'ron,Jaz-O,Jayo Felony,Mobb Deep etc. was great because this is when guys like state property really started to show off.)

roc on the radio going at jaz-o was claaaaaaasic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9u8eHzOS_A

also some little known beefs in he south
juicy j and dj paul vs anybody had ever rapped in memphis, and in turn signed a deal with them
big boy records (mystikal, mia x, sporty t, fiend) vs cash money which later fueled the psuedo no limit and cash money beef

m3k

common ice vs cube was good... check out
common - i used to love her
westcoast connection - slaughter house
common - the bitch in you

for the basic beef in order... dunno if ice responded again but most people say common had the last word on that

ice cube and cypress hill was great lol ice cube got handeled but was all entertaining

cypress hill - throw your set in the air
ice cube - friday
cypress hill - no rest for the wicked
ice cube- king of the hill
b real - ice cube killa

fuck b real is the shit

IrishNinja

kamspy said:
But Nas didn't have anything on Hov. Just lyrics. No real life dirt.

"I rock hoes you rock fellas"....c'mon man!

i never get this. all battles are just lyrics! unless someone gets shot.
jay lost, won big in real life from circumstances not having much to do with the battle. honestly, it was a victory for both of them cause without takeover, nas might've sat around on some firm/oochie wally type shit for god knows how much longer before stepping it up again. fuck, now that i think about it, maybe he needs another reboot.

i remember digging the LL/Cannibus beef, the ripper strikes back was like LL channeling his older shit outta nowhere, heh.

@ Em - i got so bored of all the beefing, but nail in the coffin was great at the time.

Natural

kamspy said:

Ain't gonna lie, when I first heard Nas spit this lyric I was like "daaaaamn".. I thought it was pretty sick at the time.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
ThePrivateCookie said:
There were tons

Soulja Boy Vs Ice T
Joe Budden Vs Saigon
Jeezy Vs Gucci Mane
G-Unit Vs D-Block
50 Cent Vs Game
50 Cent Vs Cam'ron
Eminem Vs Mariah Carey
Kid Cudi Vs Wale
Cam'ron Vs Jay-Z
50 Cent Vs Rick Ross

Eh my main problem with the beefs (beeves?) these days is that it's less in the music and more via twitter/thisis50/whatever website. I don't remember Cudi vs Wale ever playing out over music, moreso twitter crying and Cudi fake retiring like a bitch.

Some of those tho.... Em v Mariah was no contest for obvious reasons. What's she going to do, release a diss vocal? :lol

kamspy said:

Yo, that was a hot assed line, don't front.

Ether is so fucking baller, it's my favorite diss track. He starts out directly attacking Jay. Then later on, in the later minutes he's fucking storytelling during a diss track and that storytelling is sublimely dissing.

My favorite classic diss track? The Bridge Is Over even if it was before my time and I am a Queens native. I can't rep Queensbridge, but I did get salty hearing the Boogie Down style on my borough you feel me? :lol

As far as bravado goes, best diss track is Hit 'Em Up. Pac could have rapped about an albino opening a walnut and could have made it sound hot...

Also, welcome back enzo.

Edit: Did someone mention Wale vs. Kid Cudi? That was the silliest shit to ever grace the planet, and I'm an avid listener of both performers.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Wellington said:
Eh my main problem with the beefs (beeves?) these days is that it's less in the music and more via twitter/thisis50/whatever website. I don't remember Cudi vs Wale ever playing out over music, moreso twitter crying and Cudi fake retiring like a bitch.

Some of those tho.... Em v Mariah was no contest for obvious reasons. What's she going to do, release a diss vocal? :lol
yea wtf was that about it. something stupid to boost his sales.

does Lost Tapes count as a Nas album? that should be high on the list

The bootleg of I Am... was better than the real version precisely because it had a bunch of Lost Tapes songs on it

shadowcomplex said:
yea wtf was that about it. something stupid to boost his sales.
Wale beef and Cudi retiring were two different things, mind you. Two different shitty things lol. I don't think it helped his album sell at all. Lupe did the same thing with wanting to retire. Music industry is hard, home skillet biscuit. =P

effzee

IrishNinja said:
i never get this. all battles are just lyrics! unless someone gets shot.
jay lost, won big in real life from circumstances not having much to do with the battle. honestly, it was a victory for both of them cause without takeover, nas might've sat around on some firm/oochie wally type shit for god knows how much longer before stepping it up again. fuck, now that i think about it, maybe he needs another reboot.

i remember digging the LL/Cannibus beef, the ripper strikes back was like LL channeling his older shit outta nowhere, heh.

@ Em - i got so bored of all the beefing, but nail in the coffin was great at the time.

The Sauce > Nail In the Coffin

PBY

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
7Dn7M.jpg

Jesus christ Hires. Like, I'm bad but fuck man.
probably my favorite group of posters on gaf

edit: Just realized that Shinobi is noticeably absent on that list

Slizz

Fear of God out ASAP please, it would really make this a great week for hip-hop, regardless March is gonna be a good month for it.

siddx

peterb0y said:
probably my favorite group of posters on gaf

edit: Just realized that Shinobi is noticeably absent on that list

Hip hop gaf is an army better yet a navy!!! uuuuuggggh!

I am determined now to take your third place spot peteb0y :D

http://rapradar.com/2011/03/02/new-music-eminem-ft-slaughterhouse-x-yelawolf-2-0-boys/[/QUOTE]

This is making me happy. Didn't blow my mind but still dope. Also I like that they didn't make it a 7 minute long clusterfuck. Sometimes less is more.

Slizz said:
Fear of God out ASAP please, it would really make this a great week for hip-hop, regardless March is gonna be a good month for it.
Yup - that's what I said a day or so ago. It was supposed to be February.

C'mon Pusha T - release it.

effzee

dope4goldrope said:

Beat is great. Ortiz and Budden has the best verses.

I like it but I hope their next album is more structured and you know has songs rather than 4 talented MCs just rambling pointlessly. Works for this kinda of song but for a full album its boring.

Crooked was nice too though he seems off at the beginning as if he is rapping to another beat.

Tokubetsu

Em's verse is kinda awful and I never understood why they like to put Budden on after Joell. You're gonna put the weakest dude in the group on after (arguably) the best? That's like following up a Ghost verse with U-God.

siddx

Tokubetsu said:
Em's verse is kinda awful and I never understood why they like to put Budden on after Joell. You're gonna put the weakest dude in the group on after (arguably) the best? That's like following up a Ghost verse with U-God.

I know someone who claims U-God is the best wu member. I gave up trying to argue with him years ago.

I kind of agree, I am not a budden fan and I think he gets outshined by the other members, but he is still decent enough that he doesn't sound too out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom