• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Master Milk said:
My All Time Favorite

Common - Like Water For Chocolate

No questions asked, no hesitation, this is it.

This is my first post in this thread, obviously. I've caught some good music thanks to you guys, so I'd like to thank you all for that.

I've also got a question for all. Do any of you write?

Reading the discussion about Lupe, and especially the Common namedrop, reminds me that rappers don't always come correct like we know they can, or rather, like we've seen them do in the past. As a fan, it's annoying and disheartening. I'm wondering how a writer looks at the situation. Do you look at them and think "I ain't even mad, it's hard to always be on your lyrical game" or "It ain't 94 Joe, we can't go back" or do you think "Punk ass rappers need to step their game up, stop releasing all this lukewarm booty"?

I don't think the quality of writing is brought into question as often as the intention behind it. That's where most problems happen.

And I don't think you need to be a rapper yourself to know that :p

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I don't think the quality of writing is brought into question as often as the intention behind it. That's where most problems happen.

And I don't think you need to be a rapper yourself to know that :p
Really? Hmm, maybe that's true for most others then, but I don't look at it like that. Intentions are nice and all, but hot ass is still hot ass and I'm not gonna listen to it. And on the flipside, as long as it's not actually bad music, I don't care what direction the production takes or what genre you're blending in as long as the rhymes are solid.

Common's UMC was mentioned earlier. Production was definitely in outer space, but what turned me off was that the rhymes were weak for the most part. The intentions behind the album were to have a more widespread appeal, or something to that effect, right? That's fine, I don't really care, but the rhymes weren't on point, which means the album doesn't get listened to.

Cedric

What's up I lurk here a lot but just wanted to voice my opinion on the subject of fav. rap albums and I have to say that after illmatic this is one of the best things to come out of hip-hop!

The-Pharcyde-Bizarre-Ride-II-The-Pharcyde.jpg

I find that people don't give the Pharcyde enough props... Labcabincalifornia is amazing and Dilla is crazy on the production, too bad the group split up. A Souls/Pharcyde collabo would've been ill.

other favorites:

93 til infinity
The Low End Theory
Ready to Die
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
36 Chambers
Madvillainy
MM...Food?

CRS

Knux-Future said:
That should be a fun detour....

what is everyone's favorite rap/hiphop album of all time?

I gotta think a bit

It mostly depends on my mood or what I'm currently listening to but these are pretty much set for me. Not in order:
Various Artists - Samurai Champloo Music Record "Departure"
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E.1999 Eternal
Black Star - Black Star
OutKast - Aquemini
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor / The Cool
Fugees - The Score

Immediate reaction to LASERS....

It's bad man. HUGE disappointment, but I can't say I didn't see that coming. The whole thing sounds like one long song with hooks made for 15 year olds, and Lupe just trotting along.

kamspy said:
ghost. Rae is a great sidekick.

Word. Ghost has pretty much murdered Rae on nearly every track they've been on together. CL is basically Ghost wrecking song after song as Rae trots behind. And I'm a big Rae fan too.

Cedric said:
What's up I lurk here a lot but just wanted to voice my opinion on the subject of fav. rap albums and I have to say that after illmatic this is one of the best things to come out of hip-hop!

The-Pharcyde-Bizarre-Ride-II-The-Pharcyde.jpg

I find that people don't give the Pharcyde enough props... Labcabincalifornia is amazing and Dilla is crazy on the production, too bad the group split up. A Souls/Pharcyde collabo would've been ill.

I have to co-sign on this to the highest degree. Bizarre Ride is one of my favourite albums ever and a classic, also Labcabincalifornia is solid as well. I remember when Youtube first came out a few years ago, the first thing I searched was the "Runnin'" music video. I was so amazed when it actually came up; that was the exact moment that made me fall in love with watching music videos on Youtube.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
TheVisualizer said:
been going thru my backlog and came across this:

Yup, Rockie Fresh is definitely worth a listen, he doesn;t bring anything super original to the table but he is very solid and enjoyable.

overcast

I have quite a few favorite albums, here it goes: Lupe Fiasco- the cool/F&L. Gza- Liquid Swords. Biggie- Ready to die. Nas- Illmatic. Deltron 3030. Mos Def- Black on Both Sides. Outkast-ATLiens/Aquemini. 36 chambers. A tribe called quest- Midnight Marauders. Madvillainy. Blu & Exile- Below the Heavens. Atmosphere- God Loves Ugly/When life gives you lemons. Phew.. sorry for the sloppy format.

IrishNinja

this thread is killing me right now.

@ work so i cant try out the leaky shaolin v wu, dying to hear it now but trying to not get overhyped by my man pinko fucking saying its > OB4CL2, cot damn.

lasers sounds like it went as expected (ima stop right here so spin dont holla at my mom), wally champ blog is still the best, and drunken post master shinobis is missed more than ever with this recent shit.

ps adlibs are good in a marketing kinda sense i guess, no idea why they're being heralded here as an important MC'ing skill though. most of my top 10 don't even have one that i can think of.

Acid08

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
The lyrics are alright, but the beat is WAAAAAY TOOO bubblegum. wtf lupe. i'm not 12. sounds too much like a kid cudi song. get that shit outta here.
LOL, fuck yes.

I like Method Mans verses on Svs.Wu a lot, best stuff I've heard from him in a while.

Riposte

I only listen to Lupe(haven't touched lasers yet) and now Raekwon's newest album. Other than more Wu Tang, any suggestions for my underdeveloped taste?

Master Milk said:
Really? Hmm, maybe that's true for most others then, but I don't look at it like that. Intentions are nice and all, but hot ass is still hot ass and I'm not gonna listen to it. And on the flipside, as long as it's not actually bad music, I don't care what direction the production takes or what genre you're blending in as long as the rhymes are solid.

Common's UMC was mentioned earlier. Production was definitely in outer space, but what turned me off was that the rhymes were weak for the most part. The intentions behind the album were to have a more widespread appeal, or something to that effect, right? That's fine, I don't really care, but the rhymes weren't on point, which means the album doesn't get listened to.

I think it's a cause and effect thing mostly. Because he wanted more widespread appeal, his lyrics were dumbed down. I have no doubt that Common could have been more on point if he wanted to be.

Also, the new Cunninlynguists song is, as always, pure fire.

Riposte said:
I only listen to Lupe(haven't touched lasers yet) and now Raekwon's newest album. Other than more Wu Tang, any suggestions for my underdeveloped taste?

That's actually like... too limited. It's hard to get a sense of what you like just based on that. What do you listen to outside of hip-hop?

CRS

Riposte said:

You can look up the albums that people posted as their favorites in this page. They're all excellent albums.

The OP has an amazing list of artists as well.

Riposte

OrangeGrayBlue said:
That's actually like... too limited. It's hard to get a sense of what you like just based on that. What do you listen to outside of hip-hop?

That is quite hard for me to answer since my taste is all over the place(classical/orchestral, metal, jazz). At least I do know when it comes to rap lyrics I like more introspective stuff than the songs where a rapper brags about how swag they are in the most vain fashion possible.

I'll browse people's favorite albums. Some of it should stick.

Acid08

Banned
Riposte said:
That is quite hard for me to answer since my taste is all over the place(classical/orchestral, metal, jazz). At least I do know when it comes to rap lyrics I like more introspective stuff than the songs where a rapper brags about how swag they are in the most vain fashion possible.

Try out "Death Is Silent" by Kno.

Riposte said:

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you'll like Aesop Rock. Give these few a try and then branch out as you please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qz2MfXTsk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgEZhfXZMw&feature=related

If this is or isn't up your alley let me know and I'll give some more suggestions based on how you feel about him.

I said I wasn't going to mention Lasers but I had the most horrible dream.

Lupe actually performed at my college and everything was hype. Then he said, "Lasers was not what I planned, but as for the original versions of tracks I had planned out for Lasers, I'm putting those on my Friend of the People mixtape." I got so hype, and he was handing out copies.

Then, I woke up extra salty as if I was on a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 losing streak. Now you seriously better not mention Lasers around me, got damn.

Edit: I may as well check the album out when I get out of school. It may not be THAT bad but I'm sure it does not live up for the YEARS that it should have been out already.

DominoKid said:
thank you Chip for saving the day from shitty ass
Lasers.

Never thought in all my life I'd see a Chip tha Rip mixtape album saving us from Lupe Fiasco with hair. Cut your hair and go back to your Cartier frames Lupe....

Slizz

Lol I've been waiting for Gift Raps since like fucking October, thinking it would come out around X-mas.... better late than never....

It's now March 1, and the Pusha T mixtape that was slated for release in February didn't seem to happen. I'd love to be wrong about that - I sure can't find it.

I did find this "live" version of Pusha T chattin' over the studio original of My God in LA recently, but nothing else. Nothing new.

Do you guys have any idea what's happening with the Pusha T mixtape? I'm inclined to think they're either pushing both the mixtape and his album back, or have decided to cash in on how quickly "My God" blew up (as the lead from the mixtape "Fear of God" and are plucking songs from it, for use on the album). That's got to be a common problem for the artists who do the whole free mixtape > studio release thing. "My God", for my money, is the instant classic it claims to be. Song is crazy.

Anyone know what's going on though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom