• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pinko Marx said:
Those songs were good without being all super sunshine pop shit.

....he had a song called "Sunshine." About how his girl was his sunshine. With these lyrics in it.

"You're my sunshine (you're my sunshine),
You're my moonlight (you're my moonlight),
You're the starry skies above me won't you please come down and hug me"

WanderingWind said:
....he had a song called "Sunshine." About how his girl was his sunshine. With these lyrics in it.

yeah well its no so bad when the songs surrounding that one were amazing, and that one wasn't so bad. but we're talking about an entire album here, till i get there just exemplifies it.

PBY

Banned
WanderingWind said:

I think were talking about the production here though- Daydreaming wasn't a hard song at all, but the beat was classy as hell

Pinko Marx said:
Those songs were good without being all super sunshine pop shit. This is like Common and UMC, shit was just way too pop for people.

Go back earlier, and listen to shit like Failure, or Lupe the Killer. Lupe is spose to be lyrical, not this fucking Chuck E' Cheese bullshit.

I agree that the whole waaaaily chorus ruin a lot of songs. It's not personal but I hate the whole thing of <insert artist here> should make more songs like he did when he first came out shit.

I'm more than likely wrong but It always seems like people try to pick the most obscure and old shit to point to to show that an artist "fell off" and yet if they were stuck on that old shit ( ex. Relapse Eminem) people say that they should evolve and when they do they should do what they used to do. It pisses me off for some reason and it makes some of you seem like spoiled kids in that nothing they do will ever be good enough.

Gaf hates Hipsters and shit but man they sure do act like them a lot.

Lasers is a lazy uninspired record and whoever's is at fault doesn't matter and I get that but I can't stand when people say an artist should do what they used to do.

This isn't the topic for it and perhaps I'm wrong sorry for the rant but this mentality really bugs me.

Sorry. I'mma drop it.

PBY

Banned
Knux-Future said:
I agree that the whole waaaaily chorus ruin a lot of songs. It's not personal but I hate the whole thing of <insert artist here> should make more songs like he did when he first came out shit.

I'm more than likely wrong but It always seems like people try to pick the most obscure and old shit to point to to show that an artist "fell off" and yet if they were stuck on that old shit ( ex. Relapse Eminem) people say that they should evolve and when they do they should do what they used to do. It pisses me off for some reason and it makes some of you seem like spoiled kids in that nothing they do will ever be good enough.

Gaf hates Hipsters and shit but man they sure do act like them a lot.

Lasers is a lazy uninspired record and whoever's is at fault doesn't matter and I get that but I can't stand when people say an artist should do what they used to do.

This isn't the topic for it and perhaps I'm wrong sorry for the rant but this mentality really bugs me.

Sorry. I'mma drop it.
Nah I kinda get where youre coming from- when entertainment dissapoints like in this case, people jump on the hate train real quick.

WanderingWind

Just saying, let's not make him to be something he's not and has never been. He's always been conscious, nerdy and lyrical. He's also had a ton of pop influences.

But, I just thought it was funny when you said he was never "super sunshine" and shit. I mean, dude wants a hug from his sunshine. It happens, but hard...Lupe was never that.

I don't want Lupe to go back to anything, I just want him to make good music and rap like I know he can. He didn't do that on this record.

And no one means hard as in gutter, we mean dude went hard LYRICALLY.

WanderingWind said:

That song was my shit. Just sayin'.

DominoKid

WanderingWind said:

dont remind me of that. all it makes me realize is that Lupe can actually do pop well and makes me even angrier at Lasers

Tokubetsu

hhUzD.jpg

WanderingWind

Yeah, Lu outsmarted himself, it seems. Apparently, Atlantic knew what they were doing when they shelved it.

I'm still buying it though.

Knux-Future said:
That should be a fun detour....

what is everyone's favorite rap/hiphop album of all time?

I gotta think a bit

I honestly don't have a favorite hiphop album of all time. depends on my mood. like right now i'd prolly say Funcrusher Plus.

Pinko Marx said:
I honestly don't have a favorite hiphop album of all time. depends on my mood. like right now i'd prolly say Funcrusher Plus.

Yeah...that's how I am except I often attach to whatever was the last great album I've heard at the time.

I wanna say the Eminem Show, if only because it was the first CD I personally bought and because it's aged the best of the "classic" Em CD's but favorite of all time is a stretch there.

Both of Cudi's Albums are favorites but even I know they are flawed as fuck. P.o.S also has put out good shit but considering I went crazy and bought his entire album discography in one day, i'm having trouble remembering which was form which.

Meh, I'mma go with the Eminem Show

WanderingWind

Knux-Future said:
Yeah...that's how I am except I often attach to whatever was the last great album I've heard at the time.

I wanna say the Eminem Show, if only because it was the first CD I personally bought and because it's aged the best of the "classic" Em CD's but favorite of all time is a stretch there.

Both of Cudi's Albums are favorites but even I know they are flawed as fuck. P.o.S also has put out good shit but considering I went crazy and bought his entire album discography in one day, i'm having trouble remembering which was form which.

Meh, I'mma go with the Eminem Show

Good job. It's hard, but doable.

Knux-Future said:

I gotta think a bit

Firstly, you have one of my favorite avatars on gaf.

Anyway, I can't narrow it down to just one at the moment but I can definitely say that Cunninlynguists' "A Piece of Strange", Atmosphere's "When Life Gives You Lemons...", and Aesop Rock's "Labor Days" are somewhere in the top 5. Oh, and The Cold Vein.

I cannot possibly narrow down a hip-hop album of all time. I'm no HiResDes with his fucking continent of a music catalogue but I cannot pick only 1 album.

OrangeGrayBlue said:
Firstly, you have one of my favorite avatars on gaf.

Anyway, I can't narrow it down to just one at the moment but I can definitely say that Cunninlynguists' "A Piece of Strange", Atmosphere's "When Life Gives You Lemons...", and Aesop Rock's "Labor Days" are somewhere in the top 5. Oh, and The Cold Vein.

thanks.

My favorite will change by tomorrow.

JackEtc

Knux-Future said:

I gotta think a bit
Oh jeez....

Hm, based on what I've heard in the world of Hip-Hop, I would say Wu-Tang Forever. That's such a great album (in my opinion), and I love the song Triumph so much that it secures its spot in my top albums.

But, I'm not as jaded as a lot of you all are (see my above post thanking Devil Theory for the list for helping me), so you guys will probably yell at me for calling that my favorite.

Tokubetsu

JackEtc said:
Oh jeez....

Hm, based on what I've heard in the world of Hip-Hop, I would say Wu-Tang Forever. That's such a great album (in my opinion), and I love the song Triumph so much that it secures its spot in my top albums.

But, I'm not as jaded as a lot of you all are (see my above post thanking Devil Theory for the list for helping me), so you guys will probably yell at me for calling that my favorite.

Shinobi would love you.
I like you.

LOZLINK

JackEtc said:
Oh jeez....

36 chambers> Wu Tang Forever

JackEtc

LOZLINK said:
36 chambers> Wu Tang Forever
36 Chambers is definitely up there for me. But As High as Wu-Tang Get and Triumph are so damn good....I still get goosebumps every time I hear Inspectah's opening verse in Triumph. He KILLS it.

And the video for Triumph is great xD

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I'm afraid you've confused me with some other gaf-hopper. I can't even think of what "Till I Get There" is...

oh yeah, you said you hate adlibs. well, i can forgive you for making that comment.

JackEtc said:
Oh jeez....

the second coming of the Master of the Drunken NeoGAF Post...

kamspy

Probably Illmatic. Deserted island scenario.

Honorable mentions:

The Diary
Comin' Out Hard
Southernplayalisticaddilacmusic
Makaveli
36 Chambers
Ridin Dirty

LOZLINK

JackEtc said:
36 Chambers is definitely up there for me. But As High as Wu-Tang Get and Triumph are so damn good....I still get goosebumps every time I hear Inspectah's opening verse in Triumph. He KILLS it.
Fuck off, I don't give a fuck about you. I was just hoping Shinobi would show up. Fucking junior

I kid I kid, welcome to gaf hop

no ones gunna crucify you if you think Wu-Tang Forever is better than 36 Chambers, tho its not an opinion you run into often, its not unheard of.
Now if you said Raekwon>GFK, we might have to fight.

WanderingWind

Pinko Marx said:
no ones gunna crucify you if you think Wu-Tang Forever is better than 36 Chambers, tho its not an opinion you run into often, its not unheard of.
U-God >>>>>>>> All

JackEtc

Pinko Marx said:
If Forever is my #1, 36 Chambers is #2.

Haha, I don't think I have a favorite Wu-Tang member. If I had to pick, I would say Method Man and Inspectah. Method's voice is so cool sounding.

PBY

Banned
1. Illmatic
2. 36 Chambers
3. SSLP
4. OB4CL
5. Paid in Full/ Bizarre Ride II (tie, copout I know)

Oh, and the above list changes all the time, but my top 3 are pretty set

PBY

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
I'll bite:
Raekwon>>>>>>>GFK >>>>> Wu Tang Clan/Affiliates

Nothing Ghostface has done can touch OB4CL 1 and 2 imo... and while hes putting out Ghostdini and Apollo Kids, look what the Chef is doing.

we've had this discussion before peterb0y, fall back.

also, I couldn't even narrow my listen down to 5. I made a list of like 15 a while back tho, i'll try to find it....if i feel like it.

oh, but i will say. OB4CL2 wasn't all that, and the best parts of OB4CL were the ghostface verses. He's also made like 2x as many albums as raekwon, and most of them were better than Rae's non OB4CL2 albums.

Pinko Marx said:
you got trolled son.

LOL I knew, I just couldn't let it slide.

peterb0y said:
I'll bite:
Raekwon>>>>>>>GFK >>>>> Wu Tang Clan/Affiliates

Nothing Ghostface has done can touch OB4CL 1 and 2 imo... and while hes putting out Ghostdini and Apollo Kids, look what the Chef is doing.

yo I thought we were boys, WTF is this shit. :lol

In all seriousness Supreme Clientele = OB4CL1 to me. Fishscale is #2. Then goes Iron-Man etc.

PBY

Banned
spindashing said:
LOL I knew, I just couldn't let it slide.

yo I thought we were boys, WTF is this shit. :lol

In all seriousness Supreme Clientele = OB4CL1 to me. Fishscale is #2. Then goes Iron-Man etc.
Lol, no worries man, I get into this argument all the time. Its a personal preference thing really, I just like Rae's laid back chill delivery versus GFK agitated style

My All Time Favorite

Common - Like Water For Chocolate

No questions asked, no hesitation, this is it.

This is my first post in this thread, obviously. I've caught some good music thanks to you guys, so I'd like to thank you all for that.

I've also got a question for all. Do any of you write?

Reading the discussion about Lupe, and especially the Common namedrop, reminds me that rappers don't always come correct like we know they can, or rather, like we've seen them do in the past. As a fan, it's annoying and disheartening. I'm wondering how a writer looks at the situation. Do you look at them and think "I ain't even mad, it's hard to always be on your lyrical game" or "It ain't 94 Joe, we can't go back" or do you think "Punk ass rappers need to step their game up, stop releasing all this lukewarm booty"?

LOZLINK

Pinko Marx said:
not even. Ghost has some of the realest verses ever.
Lmao I don't really disagree. Was gonna argue for the sake of arguing, but realized how much effort it was. I reckon they're about even and way ahead of any other wu member in terms of lyrics besides GZA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom