• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

I happy as fuck for Yelawolf, but every time I hear him say SHADY, a little piece of my hip hop soul dies. :(

Des, is there a reason you ignore southern mixtapes?

HiResDes

No, it is more of an exposure problem...If they aren't posted on the southern hospitality blog then I pretty much miss them most of the time.

Does anybody have any info on the "Fear of God" mixtape from Pusha T?
It was supposed to be out last month. Can't figure out where they are in the process of setting it.

Jay Sosa

HiResDes said:
No, it is more of an exposure problem...If they aren't posted on the southern hospitality blog then I pretty much miss them most of the time.

Could you post a link please?(didn't find anything) Been looking for something similar to 2dope boyz for southern rap.

kamspy

HiResDes said:

That's cool. What do you think of Tity Boi?

Also, PROPS for the Rittz and Eightball joint. Love hearing Ball still getting some play after being blackballed (oh the irony there) from the industry.

IMO, Eightball is a god tier MC. He doesn't show it on that track, or really anything post-On Top of The World. But his shit on Comin' Out Hard, On the Outside Looking In and On Top of the World is as good as any other rapper ever, IMO.

He did this is '93. In Memphis. Talk about being ahead of your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgzE58kNa4I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjMwp50UIc&feature=related#t=1m28s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQohpamjEs8&feature=related

Note that this stuff is almost all live instruments (mainly because they didn't know how to use drum machines and samplers or couldn't afford them).

He fathered more of today's MCs than 2Pac.

pistolpete2940 said:
March 21st bruh
Agh. Ok. Thanks for the update. That's my daughter's birthday too.
I wonder if they're struggling with what to put on Fear of God and what to hang on to for the Pusha T solo release.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
LOZLINK said:
Imagine Ghostface goes at Wiz for calling him corny? Wiz would go into hiding nah mean. Ghostface bring some that tiger style

Ghostface is vastly over-rated..

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
spindashing said:
You must be one of those Raekwon > Ghostface dudes. =(

Can't speak for DJ Blackace but I am feeling Rae even less than Ghostface. To me, WU only works as a team, separately they don't interest me much (outside of Meth, but he hasn't had my attention in years).

siddx said:
Can't speak for DJ Blackace but I am feeling Rae even less than Ghostface. To me, WU only works as a team, separately they don't interest me much (outside of Meth, but he hasn't had my attention in years).
I do understand that. There are Wu members I would not dare listen to in a solo project (For example, Inspectah Deck, who is ironically one of my favorite Wu members when they are in a unit). Ghost is my favorite Wu member as far as solo work though, which is also ironic because I initially did not care for him after listening to 36 Chambers for the first time way back when. Supreme Clientele still gets heavy rotation in my iPod even if my boy's bootleg CD nearly fried my computer.

exarkun

Been listening to my Killer Mike stuff.

The biggest thing with him is that on the last album and mixtape, he just brought the anger. The shit about getting his albums out really ticked him off, and it showed. Good lyricism, flow, and force. His last album should be what Saigon should aim for in terms of angry flow so he could talk about all the crap he's gone through.

Grakl

front.jpg

Stolen from HiResDes, of course. Really chill, smart lyrics. Love it. Starts shining after Coast II.

Add-2 - Chicago Blues (produced by IntlMC)

Nice beat, flow, and lyricism to end the day with.

"Boy Meets World, life was my Mr. Feeny//my life an open book but these niggas can't read me"

"Phylisha Rashad flow, it's still Claire("clear") to you niggas"

=X

also apparently ...

627_image_1.jpg

Add-2 + Black Thought? Not that stellar a venue, but I'd definitely check it out if I was a chi town native.

Edit: Also, here's a source for Add-2's shits. His mixtapes are here. Vol. 4 is highly recommended, dude is talented.

Acid08

Banned
I went to school with E-40's kid. Dude is a fucking tool.

That's all I have to say about E-40. Fucking hate the hyphy movement.

Blackace

spindashing said:
You must be one of those Raekwon > Ghostface dudes. =(

I am one of those Meth and ODB > rest of WU guys..

Blackace

Acid08 said:
I went to school with E-40's kid. Dude is a fucking tool.

That's all I have to say about E-40. Fucking hate the hyphy movement.

lol

Droop-E is going to end up being a nice producer from the west.

And the Hyphy movement is fun stuff RIP Mac Dre

Acid08

Banned
Blackace said:
lol

Droop-E is going to end up being a nice producer from the west.

And the Hyphy movement is fun stuff RIP Mac Dre
I've also seen E-40 on several occasions just driving around. It's kind of weird.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Even after that song Toku posted, I still can't get into E-40. Ain't pushing that shit further, the flow out of many Bay area folk I just can't listen to. If it takes me a minute to figure out what two words he just tried to rhyme, or whether it's all just spoken word, I know that isn't my shit.

Blackace

PhoenixDark said:
E-40 is vastly overrated..
By who?

Ghost is overrated because he gets mentioned as one of the greatest as an honorable mention like he even deserves that.. He is in one of the greatest groups of all time but he isn't great. 40 gets shat because he spits bays lingo..

Acid08

Banned
Blackace said:
By who?

Ghost is overrated because he gets mentioned as one of the greatest as an honorable mention like he even deserves that.. He is in one of the greatest groups of all time but he isn't great. 40 gets shat because he spits bays lingo..
"Go dumb on the yellow bus" is fucking stupid. I've lived in the Bay my entire life and I will not defend that shit.

Blackace

Acid08 said:
"Go dumb on the yellow bus" is fucking stupid. I've lived in the Bay my entire life and I will not defend that shit.

Mr. Fab not equal to 40 water

IrishNinja

i spent one summer in the bay area, and yeah, hiero (the coup too, here & there) were better than everything i'd heard from E40. dude gets props for dropping so much silly vernacular that some of it crosses over, but man, most of what i heard fell in line with what i saw of hyphy - shit trying too hard to sound different than NY/chi/south etc but feeling kinda forced.

i could be wrong, it's not like ive sat there with a whole album by the man to give him a fair chance - blackace, you got any tracks/albums to back 40?

Blackace

IrishNinja said:
i spent one summer in the bay area, and yeah, hiero (the coup too, here & there) were better than everything i'd heard from E40. dude gets props for dropping so much silly vernacular that some of it crosses over, but man, most of what i heard fell in line with what i saw of hyphy - shit trying too hard to sound different than NY/chi/south etc but feeling kinda forced.

i could be wrong, it's not like ive sat there with a whole album by the man to give him a fair chance - blackace, you got any tracks/albums to back 40?

Album wise I would suggest "In a Major Way" older but you could feel the hunger from his flow..
As for some songs....
Loyalty and Betrayal, Sinister Mob ft. Nate Dogg, To Whom it May Concern, Rules and Regulations, Roll On ft. Afroman and B-Legit, Quarterbakin ft. Clipse, and the classic Carlos Rossi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom