• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

this west coast thing on the last few pages has been cool, still going through blackace's e40 shit but off kampsy's list, i only followed too short, 4tay (only heard a few tracks in the day but i loved em), uh pac, and souls of mischief. some spice 1 here & there but yeah, lot to go through.

i heart teh NY cause i love jazzy-esque production and the kinda flows from there, but it's really cool hearing all the non-hyphy stuff to come out of the bay area. beautiful place, so many MC's to be proud of if it was my hometown.

as for favorite Dogg Pound song...its short but i used to love Big Pimpin', since stuff like Aint no Fun is way too easy a vote.

m3k

thought id mention that the ghostface twitter account that bagged out wiz is possibly fake

edit: yeah its not ghost

HiResDes

(CLICK ARTWORK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS)

*(From Left To Right, not in Ranking Order)*

Stalley - Lincoln Way Nights (Intelligent Trunk Music) - Intelligent Trunk Music may be the most apt subtitle of all time. This mixtape/album features probably the very best production I've heard this year, and Stalley is so methodical in his rap ability to get the most of out every single one of these beats. The great thing about this mixtape is that it bangs enough to play all day in your whip, yet lyrically it holds up well enough to be listened to in headphones/earphones all day as well.
Overdoz. - Live For, Die For - This mixtape might be the most versatile. You can listen to this all the time , whether at home rolling up a joint, as a club banger, or merely as background noise it all works great. It's just so highly replayable, featuring great entertaining flows, and beats that are both banging and soulful. I have so much good stuff to say about this mixtape, and I think anyone can enjoy it unless they're expecting something super introspective.
Stevie Crooks - The World Is Not Enough - Stevie's voice just sounds so raw, so gangsta, so rugged. Therefore, when Crooks is meshed with beautiful soulful samples, it creates something nearly ethereal. Crooks sounds so hungry on every song I've heard him on, and even on chilled out jazzy sample-driven songs he never lets up. It's just relentless dopeness. Crooks is too stubborn to be carried by any beat.
King Mez & Khrysis- The King's Khrysis - Oh man I can't decide who I'm feeling the most. The guy making the beats or the guy spitting the heat. King Mez kinda reminds me of a slightly higher pitched, faster spitting version of Skyzoo, which is a great thing. This thing is solid on every level and every facet. A few years ago this could stand as a great retail album, worthy of at least 4 mics.
Chip Tha Ripper- Gift Raps - By now you know what to expect from Chip...That chilled out weed rap that's just hyped enough to get you dancing around in between rolling the next blunt or while on the drive to cop some new supply. Dude just has the perfect pace for weed rap, pretty much the ideal flow for weed rap. What's even better is that the production on this thing is fantastic, just some blazed out boom bap shit.

YC The Cynic - Fall FWD - This is aggressive jazz-hop at its best, YC is one no-nonsense spitter, every bit as deep as your favorite backpack rapper, but street enough to box with the more brash NYC rap gods. In terms of pure rapping ability (neck and neck with Stevie) might be the very best of the bunch in this month's review, I was that impressed with him. This guy is raw.
Young L - DOMO-KUN The Mixtape - One of my favorite mixtapes of the month ironically is one of the least substantial, lyrically speaking. Young L's a poppy southern club banger, but it's swagged out enough to have an impressive allure. It just goes to show sometimes a flashy swagger and great beats can rival even the most socially conscious of albums.
!llmind - Blaps, Rhymes & Life Vol. 5 - As with the case of many beat tapes made up of various artist contributions, this mixtape has its ups and downs. However, !llmind's such a solid producer that his beats are able to carry a few of the underwhelming artists that grace this joint, plus pretty much every single track featuring at least one recognizable name is a banger...But maybe I'm just a sucker for aggressive boom bap rap.
Dee-1 - I Hope They Hear Me Vol. 2 - This mixtape has a bunch of ups and downs. It's so supremely inconsistent. It's going to be polarizing. Dee-1 sounds like the incarnate of every Cash Money rapper bagged into one. The tracks all remind of those rare moments during Cash Money's height where they'd try to get introspective. Dee-1 mainly caught my attention because I recognized how much fun he seems to be having on these tracks. His voice will annoy many, he name drops more than Game, and he has no idea how to formulate a cohesive mixtape but tracks like the DMX-tribute "The Dog In Me" exhibit a near unparalleled level of charisma and silliness.
Gilbere Forte - Eyes of Veritas - Overall I found this mixtape to be somewhat underwhelming, lacking substance, and an insistence on bubblegum production; however, I must say there about five songs, which I absolutely love. I like them so much that they almost made up for all of the other tracks on this mixtape. Gilbere has the potential to rip tracks in half, but he's constantly cycling this potential heat through some poppy watered-down bullshit, and in this regard he reminds me of Lupe currently.

hawt

spindashing said:
Add-2 - Chicago Blues (produced by IntlMC)

Nice beat, flow, and lyricism to end the day with.

"Boy Meets World, life was my Mr. Feeny//my life an open book but these niggas can't read me"

"Phylisha Rashad flow, it's still Claire("clear") to you niggas"

=X

Edit: Also, here's a source for Add-2's shits. His mixtapes are here. Vol. 4 is highly recommended, dude is talented.
Man, such a good song! Everybody needs to get on this!

Also, thank you for the link to his mixtapes! I was going to ask about his mixtapes right after listening to that song.

PhoenixDark said:
4a93s4q

Strongest early hip hop AOTY imo. Album is dope on every level. I have no idea how these Boston dudes get so much good production

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7AU12LMB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsuXZ2iI00

damn didn't even know this was out, def heading to the store to support my man Reks and get a copy on March 8th

DominoKid

HiResDes said:

[/URL]

*(From Left To Right, not in Ranking Order)*

Chip Tha Ripper- Gift Raps - By now you know what to expect from Chip...That chilled out weed rap that's just hyped enough to get you dancing around in between rolling the next blunt on while on the drive to cop some new supply. Dude just has the perfect pace for weed rap, pretty much the ideal flow for weed rap. What's even better is that the production on this thing is fantastic, just some blazed out boom bap shit.

yah this one's the shit. its so hard. mixtape of the 1st quarter.

kamspy

Also digging Gift Raps. Crazy seeing Chip start to get a name. I remember when he was doing general promos for a Cincy radio station.

JEKKI

kamspy said:
Bay area has some pretty good hip hop

Spice 1
E-40
Too Short
Rappin 4 Tay
Celly Cell
2Pac
Brother Lynch Hung
Mister Doctor
The Luniz
Dru Down
B Legit
The Click
Del
Souls of Mischief
C-Bo

Fuck. That list is as good as any city in the nation. Even "teh NYC".

GAF's just letting the backpack bias show again.
I kno u mentioned him eventually, but honestly man...

forgetting Richie Rich?!?!

dood was like my favorite Bay emcee back in the days!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDIQ0L2i0cE

at least u mentioned Dru Down, my other favorite bay emcee ^_^

also cant mention the Click without posting this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzhlH-WowNU

PhoenixDark said:
4a93s4q

Strongest early hip hop AOTY imo. Album is dope on every level. I have no idea how these Boston dudes get so much good production

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7AU12LMB0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsuXZ2iI00
so hype for this!!

<3 Reks!!!

HiResDes

hawt said:
Man, such a good song! Everybody needs to get on this!

Also, thank you for the link to his mixtapes! I was going to ask about his mixtapes right after listening to that song.
We are already on it.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Also digging Gift Raps. Crazy seeing Chip start to get a name. I remember when he was doing general promos for a Cincy radio station.

Dude was really fucking boring as the opener at the Kid Cudi concert i went to, totally put me off of him.

HiResDes said:
We are already on it.
Word, I left the link there for new members or those who have not heard of Add-2 yet from before.
FTH said:
Is there a mixtape for this or is it just a one off promo song?
Since it is a freestyle to Bun-B's Put It On feat. Drake, I'm sure it is not an album track but it's a track he released to promote his eventual mixtape that will be released later this month. (The 25th, I believe?)

I've never seen an animated GIF used for album art, though. I like the style/format/scheme of Pusha's recent album arts too; it screams "refined", "polished" and "proper" while also suggesting a theme of gritiness.

I saw Chip the Ripper and Curren$y at a show like 6 years ago. I don't remember any of it, though, cause I was blazed out of my mind.

Tokubetsu

Dreams don't happen over night man. Glad Cudi is exect producing his LP. There are gonna be some killer production on that thing. Not feeling Gift Raps as much as his other tapes though. Inglish production doesnt really do it for me...and I'm not burning so yea, haha.

Tokubetsu

Pinko Marx said:
I do all the time, and its just as good.

Yea, granted it took a heavy burn session for Curren$y to click with me...earlier Chip tapes didn't take that.

Which reminds me, was there ever a NO DJ version of Independence Day released?

kamspy

The only time I don't blaze to Curren$y is if I'm listening at work.

It's like watching a 3D movie without the glasses though.

Tokubetsu

kamspy said:

Yea, I can't get bud on the regs like that or I would. Fuck, I wouldn't listen to music sober, ever if I could be getting shit frequently.

HiResDes

kamspy said:
Hey Des, you remember when Chip was doing those promos for the Wiz about 3 years ago?
Hell yeah dude was funny as hell, I can't even believe it's the same guy...When girls called in he'd always be tryna holla

Currency is pretty dope and chill. I don't smoke so dunno about all that stuff, but I can pretty much listen to Pilot Talk 1/2 anytime. Great bedtime music too

IrishNinja

kamspy said:

^this, PT2 was nice but i really dug it blazed. ya'll need to make a footnote of this shit when putting up albums here, im listening to some of it in the background browsing or working out or whatever and thinking "yeah, it's alright but i gotta skip a few tracks" etc then try it again on a day off + blunted and then i get it. (see: death is silent, etc)

spindashing said:
Word. Almost makes up for the shitty album art. Almost.

^my thoughts. still gonna support the digi version.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
Bum Life made the youtube conversion, and we are currently working on a video for C.O.D....Gonna be so funny, on some Turquoise Jeep type shit, but nerdier.
Are you rhyming over that track? If so, unless you've sold a ton of crack, or pull weight or stay strapped, you should slip in a few rhymes bragging about your post count in the GAF-Hop thread. Then you'll blow up, guaranteed.

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
Are you rhyming over that track? If so, unless you've sold a ton of crack, or pull weight or stay strapped, you should slip in a few rhymes bragging about your post count in the GAF-Hop thread. Then you'll blow up, guaranteed.
Only on the hook, outro, and intro of the song...Sadly, and it's the only song that Shake apparently was feeling a bit ironically.

Yeah, I forgot AA had other tracks; for some odd reason I thought it was only comprised of the Lex Luger produced tracks on Teflon Don. But yeah, Teflon Don/AA is a good place to start and if you're feeling that, go to Ashes to Ashes. Ashes to Ashes has a dope Wale verse if you're interested in Wale...

njean777

Raekwons new cd is really nice, tbh its better then OB4CL2 imo. I like every song on the album.

Oh and I listened to the new Lupe cd and I dont know why you all hate it, its different sure, but its still a good cd. Its def. more political and more conscious I must say which I like. The only thing i can not stand is when a rapper that talks about a lot of "real" problems has a couple of tracks that are just throw away. Like on The Cool "high definition" was such a throw away track to me. It was out of place and didnt really need to be on the album. Maybe I need to listen to it again but no song on Lazers doesnt feel like it doesnt belong.

njean777 said:
Raekwons new cd is really nice, tbh its better then OB4CL2 imo. I like every song on the album.

Oh and I listened to the new Lupe cd and I dont know why you all hate it, its different sure, but its still a good cd. Its def. more political and more conscious I must say which I like. The only thing i can not stand is when a rapper that talks about a lot of "real" problems has a couple of tracks that are just throw away. Like on The Cool "high definition" was such a throw away track to me. It was out of place and didnt really need to be on the album. Maybe I need to listen to it again but no song on Lazers doesnt feel like it doesnt belong.

Did you just say Lasers is more political and conscious than his previous two albums???????????????

kamspy

Talk about good timing. Went to the doctor with a cough Friday ;) and I find this just now:

Guess it's time to go ahead and pop that seal. Wife and kids are at church. :p
Just click that pic to get awesome.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
HiResDes said:
Bum Life made the youtube conversion, and we are currently working on a video for C.O.D....Gonna be so funny, on some Turquoise Jeep type shit, but nerdier.

Whatever you do don't be like me and only put 5 minutes into making your videos

Or take stupid gifs off gaf and make a slideshow like I am 12 years old.

but I guess I have to work with what little talent I was given lol
Btw you have the best "recording voice" on that track, they should have had you do a verse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom