• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pinko Marx said:
Bye GAF-Hop, leaving for basic training on tuesday, will be spending all day monday getting ready.
*salute*

I hope you've brought all the right music with you, and your able to cook, cut and swag all the way to wherever your serving homie.

Tokubetsu

Pinko Marx said:
Bye GAF-Hop, leaving for basic training on tuesday, will be spending all day monday getting ready.

Remember, the based god is always with you.
For real though, be good & godspeed.

dafinezt

Banned
exarkun said:
anybody got more of that boom-bap shit?

That Koncept and Tranzformer EP is dope as hell.

Nothing I know of out right now, but definitely keep an eye out for Pharoahe Monch's W.A.R. All of his promotional singles (Shine, Clap, and Black Hand Side) seem very reminiscent of mid-late 90s hip hop.

njean777

spindashing said:
Both The Cool and Food and Liquor did this as well, lol. Lasers is not the only album that does this, but I see where you're coming from. Have you listened to The Cool and Food and Liquor entirely?

Edit: Is it wrong that I want to check out that Domo-kun mixtape solely for the fact that he's using a Domo? /otaku

Yes I have listened to them both entirely, maybe i need to listen to Lazers again. The songs I remember is State Run Radio, All Black Everything, Words I never Said, The Show Must Go On. Just from what I remember from Lazers is that its def. different but a good different. Its still Lupe and what comes with him.

Also been listening to a lot of Trae lately anybody like Trae?

overcast

JackEtc said:
I get asked this so much, I'm glad people like it as much as I do.

It's Lady Gaga, from her video for "Born This Way".

IEowu.gif

I have a really odd and varied taste in music, and while I usually stay away from pop, I love Lady Gaga. But I don't care if you don't like her music, you gotta appreciate dat ass.
She's alright for pop. I don't mind. But dat ass indeed my friend.

IrishNinja

Pinko Marx said:

you're gonna be missed, man. be easy & don't let the d-bags wear you down.

big wally champ gon look out for you nahmeans

Pinko Marx said:
Be safe, bro. When you hear people bumping a poppy Wiz Khalifa track, slap them on the spot and tell them silly feminine shit like that makes a [n-word] want to grow titties.

peterb0y said:
please tell me you've heard bizarre ride though

Of course I have. You know how I do.
No... I haven't. I'm not even sure why I skipped it lol.

Baby Milo said:
grown men can grow breast to this shit
haha, I recently found out of big ghost face, because of Wiz and I read his blog. Dude is hilarious.

But yeah, I can tell I won't like Wiz Khalifa's album already. I find it funny when he first got signed to a label years ago he left because they wanted to basically make him a pop star(IIRC).....and now 2011 he's on a cover of a magazine being considered a pop star.

enzo_gt said:
If Soulja Boy is still holding the crown, Wiz is trying his hardest to give him a run for his money with it.
and Wiz will never be able to take it unless Soulja Boy decides to stop rapping and ghostwrites for Wiz.

Wiz is trying to take the crown of the softest rapper from Drake :p.

Detox

Tokubetsu said:
Prodigy is a free man tomorrow and if ALC's twitter is to be believed, one of the first things he's doing is heading to the studio with Havoc and Alchemist.

I don't think they're with G-Unit anymore. Call me crazy but my dream would be Nas (whose having problems with Def Jam) Mobb Deep, Rakim, Kool G Rap and the rest of the Juice Crew forming their own label. Marley Marl overseeing everything would keep the production and lyrics on point and QB would save mainstream Hip-Hop.

CRS

spindashing said:
Of course I have. You know how I do.
No... I haven't. I'm not even sure why I skipped it lol.
19233520.jpg

Highly recommend that you stop what you're doing and listen to it next.

Jay Sosa

Wiz staying the worst rapper in the game bar none.

Not even close, as long as Solja Boy, Lil B, Gucci, Flocka and all them dudes are still rapping. And where was the hate when he released Kush and OJ?

But yeah, I can tell I won't like Wiz Khalifa's album already. I find it funny when he first got signed to a label years ago he left because they wanted to basically make him a pop star(IIRC).....and now 2011 he's on a cover of a magazine being considered a pop star.

He rapped over poppy beats (Empire of the Sun) and made entire songs using autotune on his critically acclaimed mixtapes 4 years ago. He didn't change a bit.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jay Sosa said:
Not even close, as long as Solja Boy, Lil B, Gucci, Flocka and all them dudes are still rapping. And where was the hate when he released Kush and OJ?

He rapped over poppy beats (Empire of the Sun) and made entire songs using autotune on his critically acclaimed mixtapes 4 years ago. He didn't change a bit.

People seem to forget those points. I still bump Kush and OJ. I think alot of the hate is because he had a hit. A hit that got played out, but it was a hit.

As much as we like rappers, we sure turn on them fast if they get popular. I have seen it time and time again. DJ-ing and working radio you see it alot clearer.

Jay Sosa said:
And where was the hate when he released Kush and OJ?

Lol, I'm kind of confused are you basically agreeing with me?

I never hated Wiz khalifa personally, but the only mixtapes I like from him is Kush and OJ, which was mainly because of the chill beats and I felt like it was consistent throughout the whole thing, and How Fly(with Curren$y).

Pretty sure a lot of his fans say he has changed since his earlier mixtapes though, but that's really to be expected from almost all artists.

Edit: I want to correct the last statement about his fans saying he changed, because I recall some saying that Cabin Fever mixtape reminds them of his earlier mixtapes.

Jay Sosa

dskillzhtown said:
People seem to forget those points. I still bump Kush and OJ. I think alot of the hate is because he had a hit. A hit that got played out, but it was a hit.

As much as we like rappers, we sure turn on them fast if they get popular. I have seen it time and time again. DJ-ing and working radio you see it alot clearer.

Yep me too, and it's so odd that instead of his fans being happy that he makes some money they turn on him just because some teenage white girls listen to this shit now as well (like they didn't already before). Next on the list is probably J.Cole.

Jay Sosa

Tguy said:
Lol, I'm kind of confused are you basically agreeing with me?

I never hated Wiz khalifa personally, but the only mixtapes I like from him is Kush and OJ, which was mainly because of the chill beats and I felt like it was consistent throughout the whole thing, and How Fly(with Curren$y).

Pretty sure a lot of his fans say he has changed since his earlier mixtapes though, but that's really to be expected from almost all artists.

Yes and no, I think he left because he wanted to do whatever he felt was right at the time.

Wiz Khalifa: They completely understood the direction of where I wanted to take my music, and that’s why they were so lenient and so generous about releasin’ us when we asked them to let us go. I think Warner was looking for a specific thing from me, and they thought I was a certain type of artist, just a poppy artist and a fad-type artist, where it would be cool for a second and I’d start this fad, and then that would be that. I think, as time went by, they realized that I had some substance, and it would take time to build a fanbase and really market what I’ve got goin’ on, and that’s a little more difficult these days, especially with how people are stealin’ music, and how fast the game moves. I don’t have any hard feelings towards Warner. I learned a lot of things while I was over there, but it was definitely time for me to just take what I had learned and apply that to myself and do the independent thing.

That sounds more like he feared that they expected him to jump on whatever is popular at the moment (Crunk 5 years a go, now this Drake ish etc.) not necessarily because he didn't want to be an pop(ular) artist. I can only talk for myself but one of the reason I like him is exactly those kind of soft, relaxing and yes poppy songs. There are enough dudes trying to convince me how bad ass they are. With all that said that blonde streak in his hair does look extremely ..suspect.

Kaizer

Banned
I won't lie back when Wiz dropped "Say Yeah" that was my shit. I'm also very fond of "This Plane" but other than that and "Kush & OJ" I think his work is lackluster. If his album sounded more like "Never Been" & "Mezmorized" along with "Black & Yellow" I'd consider getting it but nah, I'll pass.

This "Roll Up" song sounds like something they'd play inside a Forever 21 or Macy's store.

Kimosabae

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Ahhh, been on an Immortal Technique recently...sooo damn good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4r3aFMxdU

Immortal Technique is one of my most influential rappers and by far my most favorite rapper that can't technically rap.

Like, seriously, I haven't realized until recently how poor his bar placement tends to be, his lack of variance in delivery etc. But his understanding of the material he speaks of is unmatched, and his voice so commanding that he's still in my top 3.

His biggest "problem" is his philanthropy work getting in the way of him releasing music. I tend to forget he exists for months at a time until he decides to mention how soon the Middle Passage will be ready for release.

Detox

Kimosabae said:
Immortal Technique is one of my most influential rappers and by far my most favorite rapper that can't technically rap.

Like, seriously, I haven't realized until recently how poor his bar placement tends to be, his lack of variance in delivery etc. But his understanding of the material he speaks of is unmatched, and his voice so commanding that he's still in my top 3.

His biggest "problem" is his philanthropy work getting in the way of him releasing music. I tend to forget he exists for months at a time until he decides to mention how soon the Middle Passage will be ready for release.

Technique is dope, definitely in my top 10 or close. 3rd World is amazing, I love the Green Lantern version and his tags on it.

Technically he might not be be the best or breaking new ground but he definitely knows what he's talking about. Not like those rappers who try to be conscientious but just spit about the Illuminati over and over again.

I don't consider his philanthropy a problem as it shows that he's not just words and no action, although as a fan I'm frustrated that it adds delays to his album. I think the middle passage got delayed because all of the samples couldn't be cleared and he's adding a few extra songs at least one of them should be with Premo. Anyway the middle passage is the album I'm looking forward to the most this year apart from maybe Detox and the next Nas album.

Jay Sosa

Kimosabae said:

Nice to see someone agree with me on that matter, I actually had a hard time listen to his stuff because his flow is so bad, lots of people call(ed, back when he had some hype) me crazy when I told them he can't rap. But I gave Revolutionary Vol. 1 another listen a few months ago and like it a lot more than 5 years ago (or whenever I bought it)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Good luck Pinko, we will be here when you get back.

I never got hugely into immortal despite enjoying what I heard. I guess as I get older I need my rappers to lighten to fuck up sometimes.

Regarding Wiz, I hope he releases his album and it's full of pop rap black and yellow type stuff. Thats actually the Wiz I enjoy far more. He isn't a good enough rapper to make me believe he can be anything other than that. Might as well embrace it.

Jay Sosa said:
Yes and no, I think he left because he wanted to do whatever he felt was right at the time.

That sounds more like he feared that they expected him to jump on whatever is popular at the moment (Crunk 5 years a go, now this Drake ish etc.) not necessarily because he didn't want to be an pop(ular) artist. I can only talk for myself but one of the reason I like him is exactly those kind of soft, relaxing and yes poppy songs. There are enough dudes trying to convince me how bad ass they are. With all that said that blonde streak in his hair does look extremely ..suspect.
Ah okay, I see.

I'm not really saying Wiz Khalifa should act tough or anything, I just found it funny that his reason on leaving Warner Bros. is kind of similar to how he is now. I like Wiz Khalifa's chill songs(Kush and OJ, one of my favorite mixtapes last year), just that Roll Up song is a taddd bit too much for me and I don't really like that level song with too short either(black and yellow is cool), so I doubt I'd like his album since I only like one of his mixtapes.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
Good luck Pinko, we will be here when you get back.

I never got hugely into immortal despite enjoying what I heard. I guess as I get older I need my rappers to lighten to fuck up sometimes.

Regarding Wiz, I hope he releases his album and it's full of pop rap black and yellow type stuff. Thats actually the Wiz I enjoy far more. He isn't a good enough rapper to make me believe he can be anything other than that. Might as well embrace it.

I agree entirely. I dont really like anything but really pop-wiz, he just does it very well.

Tokubetsu

ReconYoda said:
I agree entirely. I dont really like anything but really pop-wiz, he just does it very well.

Depends on what pop-rap wiz we talking about. Kush & OJ is pretty radio friendly imo and poppy. If we're talking mesmerized, in the cut and never been pop rap wizzy, I can 100% get behind that. If we're talking "stoned" and "roll up" pop rap wiz he can go fuck himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom