• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - MYLO XYLOTO - October 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is my first thread, so please be nice! :)

Coldplay just announced that their next album will be called MYLO XYLOTO and will release on October 24.

Kt6Eu.jpg

Reversible cover art

(the link below says the 25th but the official Coldplay newsletter I got said the 24th)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/coldplay-announce-new-album-mylo-xyloto-20110812

Quote from link: "Mylo Xyloto will be released in digital, CD and vinyl formats, with some deluxe packaging options. A limited-edition "pop-up album" version will be produced, featuring a 12" x 12" hardback book containing graffiti pop-up art design by David A. Carter. That edition will also include the record on CD and vinyl, plus photographs and excerpts from the band's studio diaries and personal notebooks. Half of the standard edition CDs will be shipped with full color artwork, while the remainder will have the CD booklet flipped, showing the silver initials "M.X." through a die-cut sheet placed over the color image."

Their latest singles are:

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kf_6BWcOOg

Major Minus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1O9X0_WNTY

Moving To Mars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KsutWy3UU

Paradise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ZWlDks0nQ

The track list:

01. Mylo Xyloto
02. Hurts Like Heaven
03. Paradise
04. Charlie Brown
05. Us Against the World
06. M.M.I.X.
07. Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall
08. Major Minus
09. U.F.O.
10. Princess of China
11. Up in Flames
12. A Hopeful Transmission
13. Don't Let It Break Your Heart
14. Up with the Birds

Pre order now!

Pre order link!
(thanks sai-kun!)

No word on what Mylo Xyloto means, but it sounds familiar for some reason. Anyway, who's excited?

I was a big fan years ago but now meh, I'll give the songs a go and see if they can still move me. Now if you post a thread announcing a new David Gray album I would be a really happy pup *checks wiki.

Coldplay's about as edgy as a killer whale these days.

Doesn't change the fact that A Rush to the Blood to the Head was a good album though.

thuway

Hasphat'sAnts said:

Doesn't change the fact that A Rush to the Blood to the Head was a good album though.
Parachutes was better. I digress though, Coldplay is dead to me.

BlueWord

Hasphat'sAnts said:

Rush of Blood was really good. It's too bad the band has revealed themselves to be very limited, musically. Maybe we'll finally see them change up their sound on this one - who knows - but I'm not counting on it.

I liked their last few albums (including Viva la Vida and that x/y album) but this just sounds so painfully boring. I don't think I'll be able to sit through it. Pass.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hasphat'sAnts said:

Was Coldplay ever really "edgy" though? Do they need to be? (Killer Whales are pretty edgy though. They eat seals! >_<)

Kusagari

Hasphat'sAnts said:

In what alternate universe was Coldplay ever 'edgy'?

Kusagari said:
In what alternate universe was Coldplay ever 'edgy'?

For popular "adult alternative" rock music? Their first two records were pretty edgy.

It's not like they were the fucking Talking Heads or Joy Division.

I've loved every Coldplay album so far, but I must say that I found "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" horribly disappointing. I did like "Moving to Mars," so I still have hope that the rest of the new album will be better.

Jburton

Banned
Not really into Coldplay at all, I liked a few of their early songs but Chris Martin puts me off them now in the same way Bono actually stops me being able to listen to U2 and their quality output from years back.

Reckoner

I used to love Coldplay. Parachutes is my favorite album, for obvious reasons. For what I already heard, I'm not expecting nothing big. So far the only song I really liked was Hurts Like Heaven.

Repulsive art direction aside, I can't say I'm looking forward to this album at all.

I liked Parachutes, Rush of Blood, and even X&Y (despite the obtuse writing at times), but I just didn't like Viva La Vida. Nothing on it made me want to keep listening to it, and I keep forgetting it even exists until I see it next to the others in my song list.

As for the songs from this album... I can't stand them. I don't really know what happened to send them off in this direction, but I just don't care for it at all. To those of you who are liking it: I hope you enjoy it, but I won't be joining you this time around.

edit: also, that's a horrible title for an album. It's not a good idea to name your cd something the average person won't know how to pronounce.

I really, really like 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall'... really, really like it. I think it is mostly for the awesome guitar that mimics the sound of bagpipes. Very nice upbeat song. Very reminiscent of the classical music (rock, country, pop) of the Atlantic coast of Canada.

Reckoner

Vox-Pop said:
I was a huge fan until I went to one of their shows. Can't listen to them anymore.
Really? I think they're pretty nice live. Saw them two months ago and they did a great show setlist aside.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Seeing that big XY in the middle of the cover gives me the silly hope that this might be as good as X&Y, the one I enjoyed most.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Reckoner said:
Really? I think they're pretty nice live. Saw them two months ago and they did a great show setlist aside.
I also had a bad night but it was their first show of the tour and they didn't know how to play some of their old songs. They stopped and replayed a lot. Also had cheap seats, free however.

Reckoner

doctordoak said:
I like Coldplay, but my god those three songs are terrible.
I don't like them too, but I really like this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_fEWsM4mNc

Vox-Pop said:
I also had a bad night but it was their first show of the tour and they didn't know how to play some of their old songs. They stopped and replayed a lot. Also had cheap seats, free however.

Oh. That's really unprofessional for them. They should've prepared the show better. Since the show I saw was after some big festivals, they did good.

Utako

Banned
Coldplay fans are such tools. Yuppies That are too uptight or "get depressed by" Radiohead listen to Coldplay.

Zilch

Banned
I've never been a fan of the band, but there are some interesting sounds/compositional ideas on Viva La Vida. Eno's influence I suppose?

Zilch

Banned
For some reason I really like Chris Martin. He seems like a genuinely nice/dorky dude who happens to make some corny-ass music.

Dabanton

Rabbitwork said:
parachutes is great.
a rush of blood to the head is outstanding.
everything after has been garbage.

Agree i remember when Coldplay first got a bit of buzz in Melody Maker and NME back in those days they used to give away free compilation CD's and on this particular one was an early version of 'Don't Panic' which even today sounds beguiling and interesting.

Then 'High Speed' turned up and was even more interesting was a lot different to what a lot of indie bands were doing then they really reminded me of Embrace big wide anthems and i think that's where that little seed that has made them a bit too eager to create anthems has stifled what are interesting musicians.

'A Rush of Blood to the Head' is their masterpiece though and the last time that Coldplay went with instinct instead of stadium approval.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Utako said:
Coldplay fans are such tools. Yuppies That are too uptight or "get depressed by" Radiohead listen to Coldplay.

Yeah, i really hate when they come into threads about other bands and start bitching about their fans.

Loki

Count of Concision
I liked a couple of songs on Viva La Vida (namely the title track and Violet Hill), and I REALLY liked some of their B-sides or whatever (A Spell a Rebel Yell, Life in Technicolor II, Glass of Water - if you haven't heard these, give them a listen), and "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" has REALLY grown on me too. So I'm curious as to how their new album will sound.

Xun

disappeared said:
Can't say I'm digging their sound anymore. I really enjoyed Parachutes and Rush of Blood, though.
Pretty much.

The band seems to be going down a strange route these days, and I can't say I'm a fan.

Elbow are vastly superior.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't listen to Coldplay all that much these days but I'm reasonably optimistic. I've enjoyed all of their albums thus far, with A Rush of Blood to the Head being by far their best, and I like Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Moving to Mars (the first half of which never fails to evokes scenes of Gattaca).

so1337

Loki said:
I liked a couple of songs on Viva La Vida (namely the title track and Violet Hill), and I REALLY liked some of their B-sides or whatever (A Spell a Rebel Yell, Life in Technicolor II, Glass of Water - if you haven't heard these, give them a listen), and "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" has REALLY grown on me too. So I'm curious as to how their new album will sound.
I agree with all of this even though I liked Every Teardrop from the moment I first heard it. Looking forward to this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Don't forget, Coldplay is releasing a new track tomorrow titled, Paradise. You can listen to a snippet here: Paradise

They also released the track list for MYLO XYLOTO:

01. Mylo Xyloto
02. Hurts Like Heaven
03. Paradise
04. Charlie Brown
05. Us Against the World
06. M.M.I.X.
07. Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall
08. Major Minus
09. U.F.O.
10. Princess of China
11. Up in Flames
12. A Hopeful Transmission
13. Don't Let It Break Your Heart
14. Up with the Birds

Edit: Wait.....where's Moving To Mars? That was the best song of the three they just released.

Masked Man

I said wow
AROBTTH was pretty fantastic. I fell out of love with them during their X&Y days, and they didn't exactly win me back with Viva La Vida (although it was an improvement), but I'm willing to take a listen to this at the very least.

Xrenity

Everything I've heard so far is pretty bad (as well as the art, wtf?) but I've liked every album so far so I'll ty it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Viva La Vida was the last album I listened to from them. Man I'm so out of the loop on my Coldplay shit, but I fucking LOVED Viva La Vida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom