• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - MYLO XYLOTO - October 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

Its not too bad, but the only song I really like is Paradise so far.

The recording quality is absolutely atrocious though - almost unlistenable on decent gear. Coldplay albums never had great production value but this is by far the worst.

I've been listening to the album all week, and it's better than I thought it would be. Charlie Brown and Up with the Birds are my favorites, but Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Paradise are horrible, horrible, songs and I skip them every time. Overall though, this is by far the worst Coldplay album but it's certainly worth listening to.

Loki

Count of Concision
Franklinator said:
but Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and Paradise are horrible, horrible, songs and I skip them every time.

Wtf? lol Every Teardrop is at the very least passable (I like it, but can see that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea), and Paradise is VERY good.

Hurts like Heaven is good too now that I listened to it a few times. At this rate, I may have to buy the album as opposed to the singles I keep buying lol.

Loki said:
Wtf? lol Every Teardrop is at the very least passable (I like it, but can see that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea), and Paradise is VERY good.

Hurts like Heaven is good too now that I listened to it a few times. At this rate, I may have to buy the album as opposed to the singles I keep buying lol.

I dunno what it is about it but I hate Every Teardrop so much. I think it may because of the synthesizers, but I'm not quite sure. And I would like Paradise a lot more if it weren't for the chorus, which annoys me every time because it's so repetitive. But aside from that the rest of the song is good. So I don't actually skip Paradise that much now that I think about it lol.

And you might as well buy the whole album, I think it's still $10 on Amazon for a physical copy

Cynosure

I don't like it

Love Princess of China, and a few are ok, but overall, it's let down

Viva La vida > x & y > parachutes > mylo xyloto = rush of blood(though In My Place is one of my favourite Coldplay songs)

Cynosure said:
I don't like it

Love Princess of China, and a few are ok, but overall, it's let down

Viva La vida > x & y > parachutes > mylo xyloto = rush of blood(though In My Place is one of my favourite Coldplay songs)

Rush of Blood at the bottom? Whoa

Edit: Might as well make my own order

X&Y>Parachutes>Viva la Vida>Rish of Blood>Prospekt's March*>Mylo Xyloto

*I count it because it was long enough to be an album plus it was awesome

Mau ®

Soulscribe said:
Rihanna's verse/chorus in Princess of China is fucking FANTASTIC, but I do not understand why they let the song just sit there right after that chorus. They couldn't have made a suitable bridge and repeat the Rihanna chorus? Would have made a great quality single if they did that. Otherwise it's just kind of strange and short.

Yes!

I dont know why would anyone waste that amazing hook by just using it one time.

I wouldn't have taken off Moving To Mars from the tracklist. It's better than most of the quiet songs. At least better than Up in Flames!

Loki

Count of Concision
inthezone said:
Yes!

I dont know why would anyone waste that amazing hook by just using it one time.

Are you talking about the part where Rihanna and Martin are singing "you stole my star, la la la la la la la"? Best part of the song, and yeah, not sure why they made it die right after that. Def should've repeated that hook - very catchy and melodious. Great, actually. The rest of the song is good outside of the bland beeps and bops that follow the aforementioned segment. This one could've been big if they repeated that part.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
A Rush of Blood > Parachutes > Mylo Xyloto > X&Y = Viva la Vida > Prospekt's March

I'm actually not 100% sure about the last four, but Rush is definitely my favorite.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sai-kun said:
PM at the bottom of the list...whoa...

when did I get to bizarro world?

jgV7h.jpg

The only answer.

trunbuns

I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet. Coldplay are one of those bands that I wish would recapture their early sound. Parachutes was incredible when it first came out and Rush of Blood was great as well, but x&y is perhaps the biggest letdown I've had when I've been excited for an album.

I haven't really paid too much attention since then but their festival performances have seemed great when watching them on the tv, so I have been thinking about buying this.

Meier

Prospekt's March isn't an album anyway so I'm not sure why it would be listed with those others. I haven't listened to it on its own in awhile but from reminding myself of the track listing, I think it's a little more consistent than Viva la Vida itself.

My rankings so far would probably go like this:

Viva La Vida > Mylo Xyloto > X&Y > Rush of Blood > Parachutes

lol. I obviously prefer newer Coldplay. I feel like if Mylo had cleaner compositions (like Viva) without so much heavy synth that saturates Martin's vocals then I would like the album as much. Songs like Hurts Like Heaven are some of the best songs they ever recorded but it's a shame that most people who listen to it have no idea what Martin is saying coz he's drowned out by the roaring instrumentals. Production-wise it's a strange beast.

Sai-kun

Banned
Meier said:
Prospekt's March isn't an album anyway so I'm not sure why it would be listed with those others. I haven't listened to it on its own in awhile but from reminding myself of the track listing, I think it's a little more consistent than Viva la Vida itself.

Yup. I think they picked some of the best 'sounds' for Prospekt's, and the track order is just perfect. I love PM.

Meier

Listened again.. and came to the realization that Chris just can't write an effective piano ballad any more. The three worst tracks on the album fall into this category and border on almost unlistenable.

Even on VLV, Death and All His Friends starts out fairly terribly during the softer piano bit. I'm not sure how a band that was essentially formed around the piano could have fallen off so far in that regard. Kind of odd that Keane has strayed a bit from the piano as well although all 3 of their albums have been excellent even while changing their sound up.

bud

"u.f.o." is the weakest song on the album--it isn't bad or anything, but it sounds more like a b-side kinda song.

i'm loving the rest of the album, btw. "up with the birds" is up there with "amsterdam" as far as their album closers are concerned.

linsivvi

Everyone sane knows that Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head are the best Coldplay albums, and it's all downhill from there.

Doesn't I'll stop buying their albums, at least not yet.

hsukardi

Great album, there's some chord progression structures that sound like Vida la Vida but I'm glad they're trying this direction. I do think the criticism that they "don't do this electronica thing" well is bullshit, but to each their own.

Enjoying this

Loki

Count of Concision
Hurts like Heaven is amazing. Such a driving beat and rhythm. The second verse and bridge is awesome when the tempo picks up. Hope this gets released as a single - I think it could be very popular. The only thing that could possibly hurt it pop-wise is the opening, which is a little odd and high-pitched. Still, terrific song imo.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Coldplay announces first U.S. tour dates in three years:

Here are Coldplay's tour dates:

Date City Venue On Sale Date

4/17 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place Sat., Dec. 17
4/18 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome Sat., Dec. 17
4/20 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena Sat., Dec. 17
4/24 Portland, OR Rose Garden Arena Sat., Dec. 17
4/25 Seattle, WA KeyArena Sat., Dec. 17
4/27 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion At San Jose Sat., Dec. 17
5/1 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl Mon., Jan. 9
5/2 Los Angeles, CA Hollywood Bowl Mon., Jan. 9
6/22 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center Sat., Dec. 17
6/25 Houston, TX Toyota Center Sat., Dec. 17
6/28 Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum Sat., Dec. 17
6/29 Miami, FL American Airlines Arena Sat., Dec. 17
7/2 Atlanta, GA Philips Arena Sat., Dec. 17
7/5 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center Sat., Dec. 17
7/8 Washington, DC Verizon Center Sat., Dec. 17
7/23 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre Sat., Dec. 17
7/26 Montreal, QC Bell Centre Sat., Dec. 17
7/29 Boston, MA TD Garden Sat., Dec. 17
8/3 East Rutherford, NJ Izod Center Sat., Dec. 17
8/7 Chicago, IL United Center Mon., Dec. 19
8/11 St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center Sat., Dec. 17

Xun

Very mediocre record.

There's only a few songs I like, and the rest is just mediocre/crap to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom