• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - MYLO XYLOTO - October 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listened to it all the way through once. Four songs stood out for me so far:

- Hurts Like Heaven
- Paradise
- Every Teardrop is a Waterfall
- Princess of China

Gonna go through it again and see what else clicks with me. That's the annoying thing about listening to Coldplay; there's some great moments in each song but you really have to pay attention to catch them, lol. It's easy to just tune out.

Jangocube

Banned
Just listened to the whole thing......=(

Wish they did more slower songs these days. A lot of their new stuff just seems overlayered. I like the simple Coldplay. This new stuff isn't bad, it's just kind of forgettable.

After a few days listening I absolutely love the album, listening to it on a decent sound system played a big part, the sound is incredible. Nobody makes music like Coldplay.

I wonder what they will do next? I think they may take 5 years off after they finish promoting MX.

linsivvi

MrDenny said:
Should of been called Princess of Vietnam haha.
Surprising, sometimes I wonder how they find these songs to copy/sample.
Love the song though.

Here's the artist performing it live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdXbKGo1_8

Yeah I usually hesitate to jump on the song copying bandwagon, since there are just too many songs out there that it's kinda hard to avoid being similar to any song ever written. In this case though, it is very suspicious.

Anyway, will still get the CD whenever I go to a record store.

Oh, and online concert on VEVO, about to start in an hour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zLUsNU5Hpg&feature=share

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Jangocube said:

Wish they did more slower songs these days. A lot of their new stuff just seems overlayered. I like the simple Coldplay. This new stuff isn't bad, it's just kind of forgettable.

completely agree, their early stuff pre parachutes, the b sides to parachutes and parachutes itself are what made me fall in love with coldplays sound. Rush of blood was a great follow up album, more stadium orientated which was nice, it was alot more confident than parachutes. Sadly since then they seem to be trying to up the ante every album, to find a new sound almost and generally speaking it hasnt gripped me. Having said that x and y and viva had some gems on their reminiscent of the early days, til kingdom come could have come straight from parachutes.

Its their b sides and unreleased stuff that is on constant play on my itunes, feels so long ago now though since ive heard what i consider to be a "coldplay" song :[

Mr Cola said:
completely agree, their early stuff pre parachutes, the b sides to parachutes and parachutes itself are what made me fall in love with coldplays sound. Rush of blood was a great follow up album, more stadium orientated which was nice, it was alot more confident than parachutes. Sadly since then they seem to be trying to up the ante every album, to find a new sound almost and generally speaking it hasnt gripped me. Having said that x and y and viva had some gems on their reminiscent of the early days, til kingdom come could have come straight from parachutes.

Its their b sides and unreleased stuff that is on constant play on my itunes, feels so long ago now though since ive heard what i consider to be a "coldplay" song :[
I'm with you on this, but I haven't heard anything pre-parachutes. What did they do before parachutes?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Dahellisdat said:
I'm with you on this, but I haven't heard anything pre-parachutes. What did they do before parachutes?

Some of these are post parachutes pre rush of blood but i think most are pre, or dropped from the recording of parachutes and made into b sides for singles off of parachutes.

B sides such as brothers and sisters, ode to deodorant, for you ( a MUST listen to), Careful where you stand, Help is just around the corner, Crest of waves, Ghost, Lost Highway (Cover of Hank Williams but well worth a listen, Chris has a guitar solo :eek:), Murder

Mr Cola said:
Some of these are post parachutes pre rush of blood but i think most are pre, or dropped from the recording of parachutes and made into b sides for singles off of parachutes.

B sides such as brothers and sisters, ode to deodorant, for you ( a MUST listen to), Careful where you stand, Help is just around the corner, Crest of waves, Ghost, Lost Highway (Cover of Hank Williams but well worth a listen, Chris has a guitar solo :eek:), Murder
Ahh cool. I've heard some of those.....I'll have to check the rest of them out.

Ezduo

Banned
Jangocube said:

Agreed, their best albums were their first two. By the time X&Y came along it seemed like they were making pop stadium rock, really over the top. I've liked each of their albums after Rush of Blood less and less for this exact reason, each one just moves further and further away from their early stuff and I'm not a fan. I think I'm officially off the Coldplay bandwagon.

Mr Cola

Dahellisdat said:
Ahh cool. I've heard some of those.....I'll have to check the rest of them out.

Im not sure if you are aware but just incase here are some more recommendations for songs many coldplay fans have never heard but are, in my opinion, returns to form in their later years. Coldplay has a habit of writing good songs for other people that fit perfectly for them, also not releasing tracks that die hard old fans like myself would love to hear on new albums. It feels sometimes as if they are ashamed to go back to simple acoustic numbers for fear of regressing or something. Any to my point, these first few numbers are "work in progress" numbers cut from Viva la vida, they were leaked close to VlV release, basically studio recordings of half finished songs with Chris hammering them out on the piano, if you loved the old stuff this will take you back and i think they can all be found on youtube;

St Stephens
First Steps
Fall of man
Lovers in japan (old version with different lyrics)

Some more people havent heard before
Proof (There is a live version of them doing it off the cuff for the first time on youtube i believe)
Gravity (Written for another but its pure coldplay)
You only live twice (The opening of this is fun for me, it was actually the reason i started playign the guitar many years back)

There is also, and these are hard to find but i have them (i have alot of their rare stuff) versions of gpasuyf which was electric, it was done at a festival in holland pre release and sounds just awesome, and a version of Amsterdam with 90% different lyrics which sounds a hell of alot better to me.

Mau ®

I kinda feel disappointed and misled with this album. Every Teardrop and Paradise arent really that representative of the album.

I found the quieter moments to be rather dull, especially since we have superior quieter moments to be found on other coldplay albums. I love half of the love and the other half I forget about. Its not a bad half, its just a forgettable half lol.

Btw Princess of China is #4 on itunes.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I am loving the shit out of this album.

I feel like Martin's ability to write stupidly catchy songs hasn't been diminished at all, here it's just overlaid with some interesting synths/heavier sounds.

haters gonna hate

Sai-kun

Banned
Mr Cola said:
Any to my point, these first few numbers are "work in progress" numbers cut from Viva la vida, they were leaked close to VlV release, basically studio recordings of half finished songs with Chris hammering them out on the piano, if you loved the old stuff this will take you back and i think they can all be found on youtube;

Lovers in japan (old version with different lyrics)

It's interesting how just one lyric change can change the whole tone of the song. The demo version is very sad compared to the final album version.

"One day you'll tear my heart out" :(

BlueWord

I wasn't really hot on this album when I first played it, but I've definitely warmed up to it. It's a bit of a grower. I still think it might be one of Coldplay's weaker albums, but it's definitely not terrible.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
BlueWord said:
I wasn't really hot on this album when I first played it, but I've definitely warmed up to it. It's a bit of a grower. I still think it might be one of Coldplay's weaker albums, but it's definitely not terrible.
Pretty much where I'm at, although I do love Paradise, Princess of China, and Hurts like Heaven, definitely different from their older stuff, but I'm ok with that.

Pseudo_Sam said:
I am loving the shit out of this album.

I feel like Martin's ability to write stupidly catchy songs hasn't been diminished at all, here it's just overlaid with some interesting synths/heavier sounds.

haters gonna hate

Did you watch the live concert last night? I found that some songs from the album which I wasn't too keen on were bought to life when played live. It was fucking awesome.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I've only listened to it twice through and my immediate reaction isn't very good. Sounds like loads of production to mask forgettable, average songs.

Loved Viva so this is a disappointment.

How can anyone stomach so much "feel good" music? So corny I got embarrassed listening to it. I made a mistake giving this album a chance.

Mr Cola

Sai-kun said:
It's interesting how just one lyric change can change the whole tone of the song. The demo version is very sad compared to the final album version.

"One day you'll tear my heart out" :(

If you like that you will love the early version of Amsterdam

The ending of the album version goes "Stuck on a bridge, tied to the noose but you came along and you cut me loose" whereas early live pre-release versions ended with "Stuck on a bridge, tied to the noose, and baby i could scream, but what would be the use?"

The second version sung is so much more meaningful i think.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Ken Masters said:
How can anyone stomach so much "feel good" music? So corny I got embarrassed listening to it. I made a mistake giving this album a chance.

Craaaaaaawlinnngggg Innnnnnnnnn Myyyyyy Skinnnnnnnnnnn

Fuck you mom!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gouty said:
Craaaaaaawlinnngggg Innnnnnnnnn Myyyyyy Skinnnnnnnnnnn

Fuck you mom!
:lol :lol :lol

Is this you Ken Masters?

MgAL9.jpg

After Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, I was kinda dreading an overproduced album.
But except for the little instrumental songs and the Rhianna song I'm not digging, I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

I really, really hope their next album is low-fi however. back to roots!

burgervan

The less they sound like Coldplay the more I like them so I'm really enjoying stuff like Paradise, Charlie Brown, Princess of China and Every Teardrop. And I fucking love Hurts Like Heaven.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I much prefer this Brian Eno, dreamy-electro sound to their earlier, less up-tempo stuff. Princess of China and Don't Let It Break Your Heart are my two favourites from this album. I like the little 30 second intro tracks as well. It's not as good as Viva La Vida but it's still pretty good.

rar

sounds like a they're trying to be something they're not, which they did a bit with viva la vida but it's showing completely in this album. too many of the songs are attempts at dancey feed-good anthems (hurts like heaven, charlie brown, every teardrop is a waterfall, don't let it break your heart) but they just sound produced and silly. they don't do the synthy electro sound very well and i can't stand the tone of the guitar at times, especially in don't let it break your heart, it's really annoying. martin's lyrics have always been simplistic, but to me they sound worse here, like something a teenager would write - maybe it's the effect of the music which sounds pretty lame at times. i just don't feel the emotion that songs like the scientist, fix you, etc., had, even though these songs are trying even harder to be emotional. also what's up with the 20 second tracks that are completely uninteresting.

overall i think brian eno's had too much influence and chris martin is feeling a little too delicate, they should have him do something manly like fight in a war and then they should just lock themselves up in a room with real instruments and no other music to influence them for a year and let us hear what they come back with

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Ken Masters said:

ahaha what? You're seriously disappointed there aren't more emo depressing songs on the album?

Yeah fuck feeling good, I'd rather brood in the dark :/

Sai-kun

Banned
Ken Masters said:

Yeah man, fuck nice feelings. I'm gonna get pissed off, sit in my dark room, and listen to negative music all night.

Loki

Count of Concision
I'm starting to love Charlie Brown. What a damn catchy instrumental melody, and some nice vocal portions as well.

Hurts Like Heaven needs to be a single. Love love love that song.

Rihanna's verse/chorus in Princess of China is fucking FANTASTIC, but I do not understand why they let the song just sit there right after that chorus. They couldn't have made a suitable bridge and repeat the Rihanna chorus? Would have made a great quality single if they did that. Otherwise it's just kind of strange and short.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
My favourites:

- Major Minus
- Princess of China (Rihanna is brillant)
- Paradise
- Charlie Brown
- Hurts Like Heaven

Love em for what they are, catchy tunes! :D

dave_m123

Princess of China is very good. Loved the previously released singles. Not listed to the rest enough to judge just yet but it sounds good :)

trinest

Charlie Brown is my favorite song. But I like all the tracks equally now.

Soulscribe said:
Hurts Like Heaven needs to be a single. Love love love that song.

Charlie Brown is reportedably the single after Princess of China. The consensis from fans is that Hurts Like Heaven wont happen because the start of the song is a bit odd with out MX.

BowieZ

Banned
Soulscribe said:
Rihanna's verse/chorus in Princess of China is fucking FANTASTIC, but I do not understand why they let the song just sit there right after that chorus. They couldn't have made a suitable bridge and repeat the Rihanna chorus? Would have made a great quality single if they did that. Otherwise it's just kind of strange and short.
Could be priming for a well structured radio/single edit.

= Double the downloads.

so1337

U.F.O. and Charlie Brown are clearly the best songs on the album as far as I'm concerned. I do like most of the album though. Princess of China is the only real stinker.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
so1337 said:
U.F.O. and Charlie Brown are clearly the best songs on the album as far as I'm concerned. I do like most of the album though. Princess of China is the only real stinker.

Agreed on every point.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Charlie Brown and Paradise are my favorites.

I love Princess of China, although I get why some would hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom