• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - MYLO XYLOTO - October 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the name of their song where there's clapping?
Quick paced. (Very vague I know...)

I clicked the links in the OP and couldn't find it.

It must be in a commercial or something because I never listen to Coldplay.

Anyway, I liked it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Buckethead said:

Anyway, I liked it.

Nothing comes to mind...what commercial is it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
42 has clapping in it, towards the end, IIRC.

Edit: I'd link to it, but YouTube isn't loading for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Buckethead said:
Rghghg... so annoying... it was fast paced, up-tempo, "happy" sounding...

Nope not that one.

Nope.

The only other songs I'm aware of that have clapping are Lost, and to a lesser extent Strawberry Swing and Cemeteries of London, but none match the description. *shrug*

I don't think Teardrop has clapping, although I haven't listened to it much.

Sai-kun

Banned
The Glee cover of Fix You........

It's just....I...ugh...Wow. They completely ruined the ending section with the sweet guitar. Blegh.

tumblr_lru5wlfvNc1qm9wiko1_500.gif

Also, less than
tumblr_ls1dxyCMKF1qm6yozo1_500.gif

Buckethead said:

Anyway, I liked it.

Lost.

soldat7

Big Coldplay fan here, not gonna lie. Maybe it helps that I rarely pay attention to lyrics. Glass of Water is an amazing song.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
soldat7 said:
Big Coldplay fan here, not gonna lie. Maybe it helps that I rarely pay attention to lyrics. Glass of Water is an amazing song.

High five! I just listened to GoW actually. Still so amazing. <3

Sai-kun

Banned
soldat7 said:

Glass of Water is freakin' awesome. I love Rainy Day, too. I actually love all of Prospekt's March. >_> So great.

Loki

Count of Concision
Sai-kun said:
Glass of Water is freakin' awesome. I love Rainy Day, too. I actually love all of Prospekt's March. >_> So great.

Glass of Water is amazing, as if Life in Technicolor II.

Paradise is sooooo good!

Didn't like the structure of the verses much, but the music itself (the instrumental portion) is great, particularly the bass.

Sai-kun

Banned
Sweet! Gosh, I can't believe we're so close to the release date! Don't know if I mentioned it but I preordered my super cool edition. Doesn't ship till mid November though, I don't think.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sai-kun said:
Sweet! Gosh, I can't believe we're so close to the release date! Don't know if I mentioned it but I preordered my super cool edition. Doesn't ship till mid November though, I don't think.

You better post pics when you get it!

Mau ®

Why do people say Paradise has a hip hop beat?

Cant really hear it. I mean it wouldnt sound out of place on a Kanye album but still...

trinest

inthezone said:
Why do people say Paradise has a hip hop beat?

Cant really hear it. I mean it wouldnt sound out of place on a Kanye album but still...
Noone says that.

Also don't compaire crappers to musians.

Mau ®

RatskyWatsky said:
Who says this?

SPIN Magazine review

It says something about Coldplay's Top 40 assimilation that the most Rihanna-ish song on Mylo Xyloto isn't the one that actually features Rihanna. "Life goes on, it gets so heavy," Chris Martin sings over a booming hip-hop beat on "Paradise," and by the time he mimics RiRi's stuttered delivery on the hook, you're already picturing him sharing the space under his umbrella...

Like 2008's horizon-broadening Viva La Vida, Mylo Xyloto draws from an expansive palette that makes Coldplay's first three albums sound even quainter: "Hurts Like Heaven" rides a zippy new-wave groove that justifies its Cure-conjuring title, while the future-soul "Up in Flames" is basically James Blake writ very, very large; those supersaturated rave synths from first single "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" turn up again on the sparkling, real-Rihanna-assisted "Princess of China."

But where Viva La Vida showcased Coldplay's sense of adventure, this one feels more eager to please; the sonic detail accrues with such speed that it's like Martin and his mates fear you'll bail if they don't grab you straightaway. ("Slow it down," the frontman advises in "Us Against the World," right before piling on layers of dramatic church organ.) Of course, that's the implicit threat under which &#8232;great pop songs live, and, for better or worse, Coldplay always rise&#8232;to that challenge.

They gave it a 7. VLV got a 9 for comparison.

Mau ®

RatskyWatsky said:
Oh. Well, it doesn't sound hip hop-y at all to me.

Nor does to me. And Paradise hardly feels "Rihanna-ish". This is coming from a Rihanna fan as well.

lol

Anyway Im super hyped for this album. I kinda have a feeling it will be my favorite Coldplay album, even though it probably wont be as liked by the fans or media. Oh well...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
inthezone said:
Nor does to me. And Paradise hardly feels "Rihanna-ish". This is coming from a Rihanna fan as well.

lol

Anyway Im super hyped for this album. I kinda have a feeling it will be my favorite Coldplay album, even though it probably wont be as liked by the fans or media. Oh well...

Yeah, their entire review is strange.

To be honest, I've never really cared for music reviews of any kind. I'm very excited for Mylo Xyloto, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Loki

Count of Concision
I didn't like Paradise at first (I liked the opening instrumental intro right away, but not the rest of the song). After about half a dozen listens I was hooked, and now can't stop playing it. Tremendous song. I really love the intro, the contrast in sound/style between the verses and chorus, and the bridge, especially when the electric guitar comes in (my fave part of the song). Just has a magical sound to it.

Oddly enough, several of their recent songs have taken time to grow on me (Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Glass of Water) but have become some of my faves after repeated listens. That usually doesn't happen with me - usually I either like a song on first listen or don't.

Ranger X

I really like Paradise outside the very easy "para para paradise" part.
I just fear that album will deceive me like Viva La Vida did. Sounding to much "U2" and not enough "Coldplay".

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
NY Times has a good article about Mylo Xyloto here.

On the title of the album:
“Music comes from a place we don’t know,” he(Chris Martin) said. “It sort of comes through the fingers and toes. So we came up with the idea of, what if you had musical digits, like xylo toes.” He shook his head, irritated that he gave up the secret so easily.

And what about “Mylo”?

“It’s just a great name,” he said. “For anything.”

I thought this was interesting:
Industry estimates for the opening-week sales of “Mylo Xyloto” are in the 400,000 to 500,000 range — lower than the 700,000-plus the band has had for its last two records, but still enough for one of the biggest debuts of the year.
(due to the ever changing music industry; not because there's a lack of popularity or whatever)

bud

i can't wait to hear the album version of "hurts like heaven." i loved the glastonbury performance.

Mau ®

I really like Princess of China. Quite heavy on the bass, not as mainstream as I expected. Both Rih and Coldplay are out of their element on this one.

Rihanna's parts, especially her hookline, are really amazing. It's almost her song lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay, the quality on the youtube video isn't the best, but I am getting more and more hyped for this album. I really like Princess. Rihanna does a pretty good job.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sai-kun said:
Okay, the quality on the youtube video isn't the best, but I am getting more and more hyped for this album. I really like Princess. Rihanna does a pretty good job.

Glad to hear it. I'm so pumped!

Sai-kun

Banned
Okay, first listen through. Here we go. Gonna edit this as I listen.

Hurts like Heaven = Awesome. I remember it being pretty good live, but I like the album version a lot too. It's a pretty fast song.

Paradise - Of course, I love this song. This song is gonna be fucking incredible when it's played live. I cannot wait. I love the bassline of this song.

Charlie Brown - Hmm...the guitar riff reminds me of Life in Technicolor, but this song doesn't really grab me that much. Might need another listen through to start liking it. I really really like the guitar part though, it's great.

Us Against the World - It seems like a sweet song, very slow. I love Chris' vocals on this one. "Through chaos as it swirls, it's us against the world"

M.M.I.X. - Not actually a song? Perfect 50 second lead in to...

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - After the slower pace of Charlie Brown and UAtW, the acoustic-ish guitar/vocals opening, this song is kind of like a sunrise. It slowly builds up, until we've got the whole band going, and it's a dance party. I love this song to death.

Major Minus - I fuckin' love this song. No clue why. The guitar riff they've got goin' on is pretty sweet, Chris' slightly distorted vocals are cool, and the lyrics are pretty cool. The callback to UAtW is nifty (D-Don't believe a word, It's u-us against the world). Not much more to say about it, since it's been out there for awhile.

U.F.O. - Back to low-key and soft music again, I suppose. Hm. This one seems a bit boring. This song wouldn't be out of place on Prospekt's March. (Doesn't have enough piano to be on X&Y :p)

Princess of China - Again, I really like this song. Rihanna's vocals are really good, and I like her verse, especially when her and Chris sing "Once upon a time on the same side, once upon a time on the same side on the same game". I have to agree that the build up towards the end kinda falls flat on its face though. I don't mind it (I actually like it a lot), I just feel like there could have been another section or something. Oh well, still a great track.

Up in Flames - Meh. Kinda boring. Not a bad track...just...meh. Not much to say about it.

Don't Let It Break Your Heart - I thought with that kind of title, this song would be a slow one, but I was pleasantly surprised! Very quick and upbeat, with, you guessed it, a pretty nice guitar riff. Not paying too much attention to the lyrics, but I really like the song, aside from it being a bit 'noisy' at parts.

Up with the Birds - Reminds me off something off of Parachutes or X&Y. A nice little closing track.

For reference, this is my ranking of Coldplay LPs

Viva la Vida > Parachutes > A Rush of Blood to the Head > > X&Y

After one good listen through, I'm gonna make it like this...

Viva la Vida > Parachutes > Mylo Xyloto > A Rush of Blood to the Head > > X&Y

rabhw

I'll do the same!

Hurts like heaven - Like it a lot, although I actually prefer the live version. The beginning seems more "tame" than the live version I heard (vocals much quieter)

Paradise - Eh, it's okay, not bad but not great either.

Charlie Brown - By far my favourite track so far, the only thing I don't like is the weirdo chipmunk voices, why couldn't they just omit those? Nice and upbeat. Great mix of "new and old".

Us against the world - Eh, nothing special, a bit boring.

Every teardrop is a waterfall - Always liked this track, no complaints here.

Major minus - See: us against the world, just a bit boring really.

U.F.O - Of the "softer" songs on the album I prefer this over Us against the world.

Princess of china - At first I didn't like it, then I listened again, and I like it more, but the song really falls off the wagon at 2:35, it's like they ran out of lyrics to fill the rest of the time quota so they filled it "you really hurt me" for almost a minute without any real climax, disappointing ending to an otherwise interesting track.

Up in flames - Eh, nothing special, a bit boring.

Don't let it break your heart - I like it, I'll need to listen to it a few more times, but there's a quality to it that isn't present on the vast majority of the tracks so far. There's ups and downs, speed changes, etc.

Up with the birds - Eh, nothing special, a bit boring.

Sai-kun said:
Okay, first listen through. Here we go. Gonna edit this as I listen.

Hurts like Heaven = Awesome. I remember it being pretty good live, but I like the album version a lot too. It's a pretty fast song.

Paradise - Of course, I love this song. This song is gonna be fucking incredible when it's played live. I cannot wait. I love the bassline of this song.

Charlie Brown - Hmm...the guitar riff reminds me of Life in Technicolor, but this song doesn't really grab me that much. Might need another listen through to start liking it. I really really like the guitar part though, it's great.

Us Against the World - It seems like a sweet song, very slow. I love Chris' vocals on this one. "Through chaos as it swirls, it's us against the world"

M.M.I.X. - Not actually a song? Perfect 50 second lead in to...

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - After the slower pace of Charlie Brown and UAtW, the acoustic-ish guitar/vocals opening, this song is kind of like a sunrise. It slowly builds up, until we've got the whole band going, and it's a dance party. I love this song to death.

I like how you're basically admitting to pirating this. good work.

bud

Sai-kun said:
Major Minus - I fuckin' love this song. No clue why. The guitar riff they've got goin' on is pretty sweet, Chris' slightly distorted vocals are cool, and the lyrics are pretty cool. The callback to UAtW is nifty (D-Don't believe a word, It's u-us against the world). Not much more to say about it, since it's been out there for awhile.

this is their coolest song since "god put a smile upon your face." the new live version of that song is pretty fuckin' cool, btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGT2aTxRQ6g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom