• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coldplay - MYLO XYLOTO - October 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

Xun said:
Pretty much.

The band seems to be going down a strange route these days, and I can't say I'm a fan.

Elbow are vastly superior.

Vastly? That's a big understatement. :p

Like many others, I used to love Coldplay up till A Rush of Blood to the Head. Ever since then they've went downhill. On the other hand, Elbow just keeps improving while reinventing themselves at the same time.

It also doesn't help that Chris Martin, unlike Guy Garvey, isn't a very good live singer. He can't do all the falsetto nor hit the high notes on stage. It's very disappointing.

Sai-kun

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Don't forget, Coldplay is releasing a new track tomorrow titled, Paradise. You can listen to a snippet here: Paradise

They also released the track list for MYLO XYLOTO:

01. Mylo Xyloto
02. Hurts Like Heaven
03. Paradise
04. Charlie Brown
05. Us Against the World
06. M.M.I.X.
07. Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall
08. Major Minus
09. U.F.O.
10. Princess of China
11. Up in Flames
12. A Hopeful Transmission
13. Don't Let It Break Your Heart
14. Up with the Birds

Edit: Wait.....where's Moving To Mars? That was the best song of the three they just released.

Noooooo Moving to Maaaarrrsss nooooooo

vadernoooooo.jpg

Anyways, I'm hyped for Paradise. I'm gonna listen to the snippet now. I had forgotten this was so close :>

Edit: Awesome! Paradise reminds me of....some song from Parachutes, I think. Maybe High Speed?

Arcblade

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
"Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"?

Is Martin using his 5th grade notebook poetry as inspiration now?

5th grade?

I wasn't aware that the British educational system was as bad the U.S.

every teardrop was only good for the swedish house mafia remix that was made after

will spotify this when it comes out i suppose

Xrenity

BigJiantRobut said:
"Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"?

Is Martin using his 5th grade notebook poetry as inspiration now?
Also, Mylo Xyloto sounds dumb and doesn't seem to mean anything.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
enzo_gt said:
Viva La Vida was the last album I listened to from them. Man I'm so out of the loop on my Coldplay shit, but I fucking LOVED Viva La Vida.

No need to worry; Viva La Vida was their last album, so you don't have much to catch up on. Did you listen to their EP, Prospects March? There are some really good original songs on there, as well as some remixes of songs from VLV.

Sai-kun

Banned
Xrenity said:
Also, Mylo Xyloto sounds dumb and doesn't seem to mean anything.

Chris Martin said he wanted the album to be named something weird. :lol I can't imagine someone will actually think less of the album for what it's named.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sai-kun said:
Noooooo Moving to Maaaarrrsss nooooooo

vadernoooooo.jpg

Anyways, I'm hyped for Paradise. I'm gonna listen to the snippet now. I had forgotten this was so close :>

Edit: Awesome! Paradise reminds me of....some song from Parachutes, I think. Maybe High Speed?

Yeah, I'm bummed that they got rid of Moving To Mars and kept Major Minus.

Also, I haven't listened to the snippet of Paradise yet. :X I want to have a fresh experience when the full song releases.

Arcblade said:
I think it is shorthand for: MY LO[VER] [IS] X.Y. TO[O]

That doesn't make any sense.

Arcblade

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:

Also, I haven't listened to the snippet of Paradise yet. :X I want to have a fresh experience when the full song releases.

That doesn't make any sense.

Par for the course then, given the album name, innit?

Xrenity

Sai-kun said:
Chris Martin said he wanted the album to be named something weird. :lol I can't imagine someone will actually think less of the album for what it's named.
Lets just say it doesn't really get me excited.

Sai-kun

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:

I wish they'd kept both! They played Major Minus when I saw them in August and it was rad. They played a bunch of new stuff, actually. Hurts Like Heaven I remember being really good, and they played Princess of China, as well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sai-kun said:
I wish they'd kept both! They played Major Minus when I saw them in August and it was rad. They played a bunch of new stuff, actually. Hurts Like Heaven I remember being really good, and they played Princess of China, as well.

Awesome. I want to see them live so much.

Now that I think about it, I kinda wish they would have gotten rid of both songs, instead of just one. If they had taken Major Minus off, they could have another new song in its place. If they had included Moving To Mars, we might not have gotten one of the other songs.

I don't think it works that way, but there's only a finite amount of space on a CD, so that's how I look at it.

Meier

RatskyWatsky said:
Edit: Wait.....where's Moving To Mars? That was the best song of the three they just released.
You're fucking kidding me. That's probably the worst Coldplay track I've ever heard. Chris sounds awful.

Btw, they showed the packshot and the I thought it was kind of an interesting twist that they have little icons (if you will) on the back that correspond to each song title.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Meier said:
You're fucking kidding me. That's probably the worst Coldplay track I've ever heard. Chris sounds awful.

That's weird. Chris sounds just fine to me. A little deep in the beginning, but throughout the rest of the song, he sounds the same as ever.

Sai-kun

Banned
Para para paradise, every time she closed her eyes~

Also, self reference in there when he sings "Every teardrop a waterfall"!

Haha I won't be able to not think of para para whenever I hear this song! I can't see this being my most played song off the album, and I don't really like it as much as Every Teardrop, but I can see it having some really really sick remixes.

I swear to god it reminds me of another track from Parachutes. Argh!

Just listened to "Paradise." It's not as bad as the other two songs released for the album, but I can tell that Mylo Xyloto will not be for me. I think that some of my disappointment stems from their christmas song last year, which I thought was pretty good and indicative of how the new record would sound. But sadly, Mylo Xyloto is pretty much the opposite of that.

I miss old Coldplay.

Pseudo_Sam said:
Lots of haters up in here. Viva La Vida was really, really good.

Viva La Vida is the only album from them that I can enjoy. All their other releases - especially X&Y - feel too bland and watery for me. VLV actually had a little character to it, imo.

Tim-E

I'll listen to this out of habit likely, but I'm not expecting much. At least we have Parachutes and A Rush of Blood.

mocoworm

I saw them at Glastonbury this year, and they weren't really that good. They played well, but the atmosphere just wasn't there. Like they were just going through the motions.

Viva la Vida was a great moment though.

Sai-kun

Banned
Hey, someone asked The Oracle the same thing we were talking about yesterday, Ratsky!

Q. What happen with Moving to Mars, why it doesn't appear in the new disc ?

The Oracle replies:

There were many discussions about whether MTM would make it on to Mylo Xyloto and in the end it was decided to release it as part of the ETIAW ep.
As Major Minus was also on the ep and is going to be on the album, it made sense to leave MTM off.

Also, the CD, vinyl, and special edition are available for preorder. I reeeallly reallllyyyyy want the special edition. It looks so rad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was away all day, and I've just now heard it! Loooove it! ^__^

Paradise

Sai-kun said:
Hey, someone asked The Oracle the same thing we were talking about yesterday, Ratsky!

Also, the CD, vinyl, and special edition are available for preorder. I reeeallly reallllyyyyy want the special edition. It looks so rad.

Oh snap!

"As Major Minus was also on the ep and is going to be on the album, it made sense to leave MTM off."

Err...OK? That doesn't make a lot of sense though. Why leave 'Moving To Mars' off Mylo Xyloto, just because 'Major Minus' was going to be included? Why not leave MM off too? I would like to know why they chose MM over MTM. Ah well. Perhaps when the full CD comes out, it will make sense. Maybe MM fits in better with the rest of the songs.

Also, that special edition is so hot. I wish they had a few more songs though. I hope they release an EP akin to 'Prospekt's March', sometime next year. PM had a bunch of really lovely songs.

Sai-kun

Banned
If they pull a Prospekt's March part II i will just be the happiest person ever. I love PM to bits, it's got 6 of my favorite Coldplay songs on it! (LiTii, PFFA, Glass of Water, Rainy Day, L+, Lovers in Japan) :D

cabottemp

Banned
Just preordered it.

I agree with most people that they'll never be as good as their earlier stuff, but I still dig 'em.

And with 180gram & gatefold, this was a no brainer for me :-D

Sai-kun

Banned
They're playing right now on David Letterman! Paradise!

I can tell this song will be HUGE when it's live. I cannot wait.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sai-kun said:
They're playing right now on David Letterman! Paradise!

I can tell this song will be HUGE when it's live. I cannot wait.

:O I can't wait for someone to upload their performance to youtube!

Edit: Just heard it. Lovely.

I love their sense of style on this CD. Neons, graffiti, colorful clothing, etc.

bud

Messypandas said:
So apparently this album is influenced by the wire? Anyone know more about that?

no, but what i do know is that rihanna's going to feature on one of the songs... :/

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I saw them in Toronto for their Viva La Vida tour, and they put on a pretty damn good show I gotta say. I hated ETIAW until I heard the Swedish House Mafia remix, but haven't heard any others, hopefully they stay away from the ETIAW style.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
bud said:
no, but what i do know is that rihanna's going to feature on one of the songs... :/

Yeah. :/ I don't want any collaborations on a Coldplay CD. Leave that stuff for iTunes promotions or whatever. Like Lost+Jay Z, which was okay, but would have ruined the flow of the CD had it been the main version.

Can't wait for this album. I liked Parachutes, kinda liked Rush of Blood, really liked X&Y, adored Viva La Vida, and judging by the songs so far, I'm really gonna like this one too.

"Paradise" is up there with "Fix You" for me. Beautiful production.

Sai-kun

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Yeah. :/ I don't want any collaborations on a Coldplay CD. Leave that stuff for iTunes promotions or whatever. Like Lost+Jay Z, which was okay, but would have ruined the flow of the CD had it been the main version.

UGH NO

Lost+ is literally amazing and I listen to it over Lost! any time :p I wish Coldplay would do a legit mashup album with Jay-Z. I've got a couple fan-made albums and they're super rad, so I imagine with a high production value, it would be ~incredible~

Meier

X&Y is still their best album.. even as someone who has been a huge fan since Parachutes.

Paradise is very clearly a stadium anthem -- that was absolutely evident right from the get go. I like that style of song so it works pretty well for me. :) Moving to Mars just does absolutely nothing for me. It would turn off most casual listeners and obviously some of the more hardcore alike. Smart move to leave it off the record.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sai-kun said:
UGH NO

Lost+ is literally amazing and I listen to it over Lost! any time :p I wish Coldplay would do a legit mashup album with Jay-Z. I've got a couple fan-made albums and they're super rad, so I imagine with a high production value, it would be ~incredible~

Ugh, yes. ;p

Anyway, on next week's episode of Glee (lol) they're covering Fix You. I might have to mute it when the song comes on. Just the thought of it makes me want to vomit. Blergh.

Also, what's this I hear of Mylo Xyloto originally being a soundtrack for a movie developed by Coldplay? That would have been awesome.

Sai-kun

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Ugh, yes. ;p

Anyway, on next week's episode of Glee (lol) they're covering Fix You. I might have to mute it when the song comes on. Just the thought of it makes me want to vomit. Blergh.

Also, what's this I hear of Mylo Xyloto originally being a soundtrack for a movie developed by Coldplay? That would have been awesome.

they're going to wreck fix you. how ironic

*vomit*

Oh yeah, I saw something about that in Oracle news today. Seems like the album went through a lot of different phases before it became what it is now.

Also I preordered my special pop up edition. UGHHH MONEY

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For fucks sake. Just kill me now.

Glee covers Fix You

The opening is AWFUL. Holy shit. Is it a parody? I can't tell. The chorus isn't as bad, but it still sucks.

"When you try your best, but you don't succeed."

How fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom