• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Microsoft Product Line-Up Features Xbox"loop" Announce And Release In 2013

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This has been traveling around the internet while linking back to a GAF post in the off topic forum that links to a blog, and the article titles seem to be bad, so I figured we might as well move it over here before someone posts it through a fifth hand source.

Note/Glossary: If some of the acronyms don't make sense, RTW = release to web, RTM = release to manufacturing, RC = release candidate, 3G = third generation, and we think PU = product update given that Windows 8 has one well after its release.

PG2G in the Windows Phone 7 thread said:
An interesting timeline from MS Nerd, who is typically pretty good with the Microsoft Leaks

Looks like we can expect Tango 1 around January (which sounds about right based on rumors, and hopefully means Tango will be talked about at Nokia World) and Tango 2 around March (in line with NoDo release last year).

Some of the Xbox stuff is pretty interesting too, points towards a full up Xbox SDK and App Store, next Xbox announce at 2013 and release around Build (September) 2013. Can't figure out what the other stuff means, but looks like a next gen Kinect and such.

CES 2012
Win8 + WinStore beta
<ONM> CTP
Tango1 launch

MWC 2012
Tango2 SDK

MIX 2012
Win8 RC
<ONM> beta
Tango2 launch + Apollo announce
Kinect commercial SDK

E3 2012
Xbox SDK, 3G Kinect games announce
Apollo SDK
Win8 RTM

Aug 2012
Win8, <ONM>, WP8, Xbox Store launch

Build 2012
XAML+XDE platform
Win8 PU DP
<OSN> announce

CES 2013
Win8 PU Beta

MWC 2013
Apollo+1 teaser

MIX 2013
HTML platform (IE11)
Win8 PU RC
<OSN> Beta
Apollo+1 SDK

E3 2013
Xbox”loop” announce
Win8 PU RTM

Build 2013
Win9 DP
<OSN> RTM
Xbox”loop” launch

CES 2014
Win9 Beta

MWC 2014
WPN teaser

MIX 2014
Win9 RC
WPN SDK
Kinect SDK update

E3 2014
Kinect HP2 announce
Xbox PU announce

Build 2014
Win9 RTM (IE12)
Win9M RTM
<OSN+1> CTP
Xbox PU preview

Nov 2014
Win9, Win9M, Kinect HP2 launch
Xbox PU RTW

Chinner

Banned
xbox loop is the kind of name microsoft would come up with. ITS CALLED LOOP BECAUSE THE USER IS CONSTANTLY GETTING FEEDBACK.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chinner said:
xbox loop is the kind of name microsoft would come up with. ITS CALLED LOOP BECAUSE THE USER IS CONSTANTLY GETTING FEEDBACK.
They can even use an infinity sign for the logo.

Why does it have to revolve around circles? Although I'd be willing to believe that's the codename for the project, not the actual product itself.

Still, I'm definitely in the mood for some rumor munching about new consoles.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Xbox Loop?

2921zpv.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cerebral Assassin said:
What does Xbox PU stand for?
Given that Windows 8 also has it, I think it means "Product Update".

Think something like a new user interface to go along with Kinect 2.

RTM means release to manufacturers, so I'm assuming that RTW is a release to users of some sort, which would make sense for a patch.

Edit:

Apparently RTW means release to web. Thanks REMEMBER CITADEL and StoppedInTracks.

Gandie

So Kinect HP2 might be a second version of Kinect for the new generation?

And Xbox PU announce

PU= Product update(?)

Blueblur1

Loop? Sounds a little funny but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to use such a silly name. Even if this stuff isn't real, it's pretty obvious that Microsoft would put this thing out in 2013. I'm sure that they can ride the Kinect wave for at least another year if not two before consumers start losing interest and the 360 starts looking like a dinosaur.

And could 'PU' refer to a portable system? 'PU'=Portable Unit?

Edit: Just read the posts above. Product Update seems more likely.

Nirolak said:

RTM means release to manufacturers, so I'm assuming that RTW is a release to users of some sort, which would make sense for a patch.

So they're planning a software update for a product that's over a year and a half away from even being announced? I had no idea things like this were planned so far in advance.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
crimsonheadGCN said:
When does Internet Explorer 10 launch? Soonish? Because that's not in the list but IE11 and IE12 are in it.
There's a test version already out, but I think the full release is tied directly into Windows 8's launch.

brochiller said:
So they're planning a software update for a product that's over a year and a half away from even being announced? I had no idea things like this were planned so far in advance.
I think it only makes sense because of the new Kinect.

Like, there are several Phone OS updates on this list, but those make sense as they're presumably tied to new phone hardware.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
So this backs up the rumour of a full announcement at E3'2013 with a launch 2-3 months later?

Nirolak said:

RTM means release to manufacturers, so I'm assuming that RTW is a release to users of some sort.

Ah, so an equivalent to the new Dash announced this E3.

Nirolak said:

Wikipedia says RTW can mean release to web, so it could be the deployment of the new update.

Loop is obviously a code name, like Xenon and Natal used to be.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Nirolak said:

Product Unveil

@ Xbox 720's name being Xbox LOOP. At first I was like "EH".. But it wont be bad I think. And what you mentioned about the infinity logo used for the OO's would be something that works.

-edit

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Wikipedia says RTW can mean release to web, so it could be the deployment of the new update.
Ah that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Slayer-33 said:
Product Unveiling.
Why would there be a product unveiling for Windows 8's release candidate in 2013 though?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Router said:
Loop/Infinity seems like a good name.

Seems like loop has been well received in here.

I'm not even shocked about the name for some reason or repulsed.

Infinity is not commercially viable. Just doesn't roll off the tongue right or seem to have appeal beside trying to be striking.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
DaBuddaDa said:
What in god's name would a Xbox PU RTW be?

Xbox product unveil, reveal to the world.

Nirolak said:
Product update release to web.

lol my fucking ideas are hilarious

Stop makng me look bad :(

Emerson said:
Loop is a terrible name. I would be embarrassed to tell anyone I was about to sit down and play my Xbox Loop.

Regardless, it's almost certainly an internal project name anyway.

Loop would grow quickly with people. Catchy and subtle and not overpowering.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Loop is a terrible name. I would be embarrassed to tell anyone I was about to sit down and play my Xbox Loop.

Regardless, it's almost certainly an internal project name anyway.

DaBuddaDa

Slayer-33 said:
Seems like loop has been well received in here.

I'm not even shocked about the name for some reason or repulsed.
People have truly been trained to accept absurd (but easily identifiable and easy to speak), utterly meaningless words as names for products. The reaction to Vita was tempered compared to Wii, and if Loop is the name of the next Xbox I doubt anyone will bat an eye.

Top Bottom