• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Microsoft Product Line-Up Features Xbox"loop" Announce And Release In 2013

Futureman

LeadGandalf said:
So two more years of this gen? What are they thinking?

360 is having it's best year EVER and MS are making more money off each system sold than ever before.

You may have been sarcastic... but I believe that's what they're thinking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I added a slight glossary to the OP and noted we weren't positive what PU was, but that it definitely seems to be some kind of update since there's one for Windows 8 after it releases.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd rather see rumored features at this point so I can set my disappointment scale accordingly. Rumors of consoles and new generations don't get me excited anymore thanks to this gen, I need to know how many gimmicks it will have.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If MS and Sony bringt out there new consoles in 2013 - Nintendo better dont f*ck up with the WiiU in the next months or the console will get slaughtered once MS/Sony enter the ring.

Nickovic

g6Z3i.png

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Diablohead said:
Same with the name wii but look what happened.

Wii was (and still is) a stupid name but at least it was a made up word which has since created its own brand identity. Loop is an existing word which by definition can't come to define the new Xbox platform.

But again, the odds that they'd use a final release name in an internal document like that are pretty slim. Especially with the "" marks around it.

The whole MS Nerd blog is fascinating. Guy says MS will never catch up to Apple in the touch user interface (correct) so it tries to move into the motion/ camera enabled user interface because Kinect hit it BIG with the consumers (correct). In 2 years MS will enter the consumer robotics segment with full force: "A robot in every household, running MS Software".

I... want this to happen :O

syko de4d

PU must be Product Update. The xbox PU is at the same time as well as Win9 and Kinect2 appear, so there must be a big update for xbox :D

StoppedInTracks said:
The whole MS Nerd blog is fascinating. Guy says MS will never catch up to Apple in the touch user interface (correct) so it tries to move into the motion/ camera enabled user interface because Kinect hit it BIG with the consumers (correct). In 2 years MS will enter the consumer robotics segment with full force: "A robot in every household, running MS Software".

I... want this to happen :O
You won't be singing the same tune when you tell the robot to cancel your XBL membership.
Majine said:
Xbox Loop = XBL?

Huh.
My mind...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I still think we will get some kind of half assed announcement like Kinect, Move, and the Wii U did at E3 with a couple of tech demos, and then anything of real substance will be saved for E3 2013.

It's just very hard for me to imagine Microsoft actually announcing a console four to six months before it launches.

This also lets third parties do some marketing for their launch era games and lets Microsoft have at least something announced against the Wii U even if there are next to no useful details about it.

StoppedInTracks said:
In 2 years MS will enter the consumer robotics segment with full force: "A robot in every household, running MS Software".
i'm imagining an irl version of clippy and it's terrifying beyond belief

Shanadeus

Banned
Announce and release in 2013?
Way to help out Nintendo, an announcement in 2012 was bound to grab away some attention from the Wii U launch.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Xbox SDK
I hope its free.....wishful thinking?

Xbox”loop” announce
Xbox”loop” launch

The next Xbox will be called the Xbox Loop....i pray it isnt the final name, i highly doubt this will grow on me like the name Xbox 360.

Xbox PU announce
Xbox PU preview
Xbox PU RTW

Is MS trying to steal more of our money with Xbox plutonium....
It better be worth it....better yet free.
Considering they are going to RTW (Release to Web)

"ninja edit" - This sounds stupid....ill just wait and see

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DaBuddaDa said:
Wouldn't a June E3 2012 -> September/October 2012 launch be a historically short announce-to-ship time frame?
Assuming you meant 2013, yeah, this is why I expect a half assed unveil like we got for "Project Natal" in 2012.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Derrick01 said:
I'd rather see rumored features at this point so I can set my disappointment scale accordingly. Rumors of consoles and new generations don't get me excited anymore thanks to this gen, I need to know how many gimmicks it will have.
The day an XBox comes with no controllers and Kinect built in is the day I quit console gaming.

S1kkZ

DaBuddaDa said:
Wouldn't a June E3 2012 -> September/October 2012 launch be a historically short announce-to-ship time frame?
they did it with the 360 (announced may 2005 with the colony videos and release late 2005).

S1kkZ

drizzle said:
The day an XBox comes with no controllers and Kinect built in is the day I quit console gaming.
will not happen. they will focus on the hardcore gamer for the first year and then release kinect 2.0

DaBuddaDa

drizzle said:
That's the day I'll quit Microsoft's consoles for sure. Console gaming in general though? Nah.

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
am I the only one one more interested that there seems to be a windows 9 on the way as well?
Did you expect them to stop making OSes after 8?

OG Kush

Nirolak said:
Assuming you meant 2013, yeah, this is why I expect a half assed unveil like we got for "Project Natal" in 2012.
And why willhave to limited to E3? Remember what they did with 360, they had a special show just for themselves and it was shown on MTV? Who knows, they might do that again and announced it at their own show in q3/q4 2012

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
OG Kush said:
And why willhave to limited to E3? Remember what they did with 360, they had a special show just for themselves and it was shown on MTV? Who knows, they might do that again and announced it at their own show in q3/q4 2012
That's very true.

I mainly suspect an E3 showing of some sort though due to previous rumors, even if it's only like a 15 minute segment that they don't consider a major announcement/unveiling internally.

DaBuddaDa

OG Kush said:
Because this rumor doesn't include any mention of a show in q3/q4 2012 for the next Xbox. It could happen, but I don't know why it would be omitted in the OP when everything else is listed.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
StoppedInTracks said:
Move is an existing word as well.

Hate harder next time.

Yeah, I'm hardly a hater. An Xbox fanboy if anything really. Loop is still a shitty name and I'd still bet money that it isn't the final name regardless.

DaBuddaDa said:
Because this rumor doesn't include any mention of a show in q3/q4 2012 for the next Xbox. It could happen, but I don't know why it would be omitted in the OP when everything else is listed.

MS nerd is too nerdy to know about some 2013 MTV or G4 Xbox show.

Nirolak said:

I think they will start giving out vague information about "next generation development" even before E3, probably as early as this GDC. But apart from some tech demos and perhaps talk about the new version of DirectX, I don't expect much concrete information until at least the end of 2012.

Clevinger

Emerson said:
Yeah, I'm hardly a hater. An Xbox fanboy if anything really. Loop is still a shitty name and I'd still bet money that it isn't the final name regardless.

I don't see how Loop is any worse than 360 (or Xbox, for that matter).

DaBuddaDa said:
That's the day I'll quit Microsoft's consoles for sure. Console gaming in general though? Nah.

Did you expect them to stop making OSes after 8?

No, but 2014 is way way too soon if this is true, unless its the same renaming deal as Firefox has went through recently.

that said, the space between vista and 7 wasn't that great, but I always thought that was because vista was rushed and 7 was developed at the same time.

Id just hate to see 8 die the way vista did.

StoppedInTracks said:
thisisneogafdude.gif

Loop
Vita
Wii
Move
Kinect

Move and Loop are the best sounding names IMO.

I hear that, but there really isn't else anything here that wasn't expected and hadn't been rumoured for a while.

the windows 9 and HTML platform information are the only things that are throwing me off base personally.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I think they will start giving out vague information about "next generation development" even before E3, probably as early as this GDC. But apart from some tech demos and perhaps talk about the new version of DirectX, I don't expect much concrete information until at least the end of 2012.
Speaking of technology, if they're planning a large enough Xbox SDK update to list it on the schedule as releasing near E3 2012, I imagine that's the first one planned to heavily support the Xbox 720.

Top Bottom