• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Microsoft Product Line-Up Features Xbox"loop" Announce And Release In 2013

inky

While I understand the "Xbox" brand is pretty strong worldwide, when you think about it an entertainment box called the X BOX (duh) is kind of 90s and shouldn't have widespread appeal with many demographics. I am actually surprised they are sticking to it and not changing it to something 'modern' and/or dumber. I guess a Play Station is equally dumb.

ClosingADoor said:
Third generation Kinect games I think.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
3rd generation Kinect games?

EDIT: Beaten.

crimsonheadGCN said:
3rd Generation Kinet games.

EDIT: Beaten.

weeaboo said:
Third generation of Kinect games I guess

EDIT: lol, GAF is excited :D

Nirolak said:
Third generation of Kinect games.

For example, earlier this week Steve Ballmer stated:

Microsoft's Ballmer: Kinect's 'Second Generation Is Now Happening'

Edit:

Beaten, but at least I have a link. >_>

This sequence alone made this thread awesome.

When it comes to MS naming the console, I doubt it will have any relation the codename.

This is a silly possibility, but what if Xbox PU = Xbox Portable [Unit]?

I'm just speculating though. It wouldn't really make sense for Microsoft to release the next Xbox console, then release a portable a year after.

7echnicolor said:
This is a silly possibility, but what if Xbox PU = Xbox Portable [Unit]?

I think Microsoft already knows that ship has sailed. At most they'll focus on Win 7 phone and Win 8 Tablet connectivity and xbla support.

Dany

Banned
KnightAttack said:
That'd be a good idea, but Microsoft will see what Apple does with reselling you the same apps for your different devices, so I doubt it'll fly.

I personally don't understand why they wouldn't launch Kinect v.2 without it though. That makes less sense.

Apple doesn't resell you apps, just have the same ID on your devises and you can redownload them

The Faceless Master said:
or just call it Xbox 8 and say the dashboard updates were 4, 5, 6 and 7
and the XBL update on Xbox was Xbox 2

Or they could name it that because of Windows 8 compatibility.

Majanew said:
Messed around in shop lol

10fp7qf.png

What are the odds of this picture being used in IGN's article about this?

I doubt loop is the final name. Xbox 360 and Kinect were called other things before they launched... my guess is loop is just a code name for the Xbox 720.

I guess that's the road map everyone has been expecting for a while now if true. That job listing that went up about new MS hardware coming out in 2014 was likely the Kinect 2 and not the next Xbox. Slightly disappointing that they wouldn't announce it in 2012 to give us something to chew on but I guess a short turnaround from announce to launch is MS' way of doing things if the announcement could affect sales of another product.

Klocker

theRizzle said:
It seems most likely that Loop is just a codename, but I wouldn't be upset if that ended up being the final name for the console. It's short and easy to say, but I don't think either of those things matters because people are just going to say Xbox anyways.

of course it is a CODE name. no way the have the final name yet and even if they do it will never be used in documentation until announced.

Kenak said:
I wonder if Microsoft will charge for XBOX Live next generation. On one hand, I cannot see how they could still have a leg up over the Playstation network to even justify a price tag for the service. On the other hand, with the rise of Playstation+ and Online Passes, Microsoft may be able to continue with what they're doing.

what? why would thius even be a question? it is working great as is for them why would they change it? Answer: they wouldn't.

they have been charging for 7-8 years while PS online was free and it didn't bother them at all because people will always pay a little extra for high quality services

Kenak said:
Microsoft should really work on just phasing out the XBOX brand and creating a new monicker. Comcast did it.
Are you kidding? Xbox is their strongest consumer brand they have, next to Windows. They renamed Games for Windows Live to Xbox Live in Windows 8. "Xbox" isn't going anywhere.

fin

The Xbox Loop! Sorry its in Java not C# :p

Code:
function xboxLoop(){
var currentHalo = 4
var newHalo 
var otherHalo

for(i=currentHalo; i<1000 ){		

if(currentHalo.released){
           newHalo = currentHalo + 1;
           makeNewHalo(newHalo);
           makeCurrentHaloDLC(currentHalo);
           i++
       }
       if(otherHalo){
           makeOtherHalo();
       }
   }
}

function makeNewHalo(newHalo) {
   currentHalo = newHalo;
   return currentHalo;
}
function makeCurrentHaloDLC(currentHalo){
    var previousHalos = currentHalo - 1;
    for(i = 1;i = previousHalos;i++){
     var oldMap = previousHalo[i].maps.random;
     remakeMap(oldMap);
    }
}

I was going to add Gears, Forza, Kinect and Fable in there, but too much work. Feel free to add to the code.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Don't like it. Can be too easily twisted into "Xbox Poop."

Therefore I propose a name that cannot be twisted into any negative word:

Xbox skdfsfasg

TheOddOne

Y2Kev said:

Xbox skdfsfasg
Sounds like an obscure sex position.

Y2Kev said:

Xbox skdfsfasg

Nope. Flip the g and s at the end and you have a serious problem.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xbox Loop doesn't sound bad at all.

As tough as it is to name a god damned product they nailed it if it's the case.

Klocker said:
of course it is a CODE name. no way the have the final name yet and even if they do it will never be used in documentation until announced.

Vita was leaked this time last year, and this is Microsoft so it's possible.
The chance of them coming up with a second plausible sounding product name seems low, one is already a struggle.

Rapstah

I'll bet "Xbox PU RTW" actually means "Xbox powerup, release the Warden". This isn't a new console, it's the end of the world.

Alx

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I think it's the USB port that's the bottleneck.

Yes, the current limitation is definitely on bandwidth rather than processing power... a 640x480 image with color + depth information eats up most of USB2 bandwidth, and they cannot afford it on current system since they have to keep some of it for other devices.
A simple port upgrade will help a lot for kinect performances, both on latency and precision.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Idea for marketing (obviously different art would be used)

6269872833_479bf3c357_m.jpg

Left side

XBL - ive

Xbox live

Live (life)

Center: -infinitely/forever-

Right side

Play ON XBOX

Top Bottom