• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Microsoft Product Line-Up Features Xbox"loop" Announce And Release In 2013

volturnus

Banned
fin said:
The Xbox Loop! Sorry its in Java not C# :p

Code:
function xboxLoop(){
var currentHalo = 4
var newHalo 
var otherHalo

for(i=currentHalo; i<1000 ){		

if(currentHalo.released){
           newHalo = currentHalo + 1;
           makeNewHalo(newHalo);
           makeCurrentHaloDLC(currentHalo);
           i++
       }
       if(otherHalo){
           makeOtherHalo();
       }
   }
}

function makeNewHalo(newHalo) {
   currentHalo = newHalo;
   return currentHalo;
}
function makeCurrentHaloDLC(currentHalo){
    var previousHalos = currentHalo - 1;
    for(i = 1;i = previousHalos;i++){
     var oldMap = previousHalo[i].maps.random;
     remakeMap(oldMap);
    }
}

I was going to add Gears, Forza, Kinect and Fable in there, but too much work. Feel free to add to the code.
Very nice hahahah
Too bad most people won't understand..

More liek XBOX POOP.

amirite?

lol.

I can see the gamefaqs trollfests now.
That's how you know you have a viable name. If the Fanboys can come up with a stupid childish take on the name then you got yourself a winner.

Still I'm not quite sure I;'ll jump in the loop unless Sony fails it up hard or there is an actual reason to own all 3 this time around.

Then again..I'm a whore and will justify a Loop purchase anyway.

:(

JayDub

I'm guessing they will use the "Metro" UI language from WP7 phones and W8. Avatar stays as its already integrated with Xbox Live for Windows and WP7. Whole UI is complete Kinect compatible.

I think Microsoft needs to be smart and make all bundles come standard with Kinect and a HDD. At this point, i don't think an SSD is viable for the console from a cost perspective. And knowing MS, it won't be user replaceable so no third party option.

Xbox Live Arcade games are 100% backwards compatible.

I'm not sure about backwards compatibility with 360 retail games. The architecture is similar to a PC (well, more so than the PS3 or Wii), so is it reasonable to assume 360 games will be fully backwards compatible? Or would it require extra hardware ala 1st gen PS3 and Wii? Either way, Games on Demand stays, whether or not it will start including 360 games is up in the air.

If released in 2013 it will give enough development time for a Forza 5 launch/launch window. They can just use the high LOD models in the current game without switching LOD models. In game, right?

I'm not sure about Halo 4..if the 360 needs to stay afloat for 2 years it needs a last "hurrah" that Halo will provide. On the other hand, Halo 4 launch would be a kick start for the console.

I'm guessing COD: MW 4 will be ready around that time (if launched in the fall). Whether or not it will be an up port of a game developed for Wii U and PS3 is left for speculation. It might even be developed primarily on the new Xbox and downported to Wii U and PS3. Then again, the reason IW and Treyarch is so efficient with pumping out these COD games is because they don't have to do much with the engine. Development of a new engine for the next gen might take more time.

Kinect games from Rare, but this might be released within the next 2 years before new console arrives.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Loop is about what I was expecting. It's a bit bland. Short, simple words are what's been in since Wii, and 'Loop' is totally inoffensive. Personally, I think it's a bit too inoffensive.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
volturnus said:
Very nice hahahah
Too bad most people won't understand..
I understand. Although

Code:
     remakeMap(oldMap);
    }

should be

Code:
    for(i = 1;i <= previousHalos; i++){
     remakeMap(oldMap);
    }

Chinner said:
xbox loop is the kind of name microsoft would come up with. ITS CALLED LOOP BECAUSE THE USER IS CONSTANTLY GETTING FEEDBACK.
I think their logo should be someone inserting their penis into their own anus.

I'd expect random to be a function of maps

var oldMap = previousHalos.maps.random();

Actually the more I read this the less sense it makes, lol

sangreal

SapientWolf said:
I understand. Although

Code:
     remakeMap(oldMap);
    }

should be

Code:
    for(i = 1;i <= previousHalos; i++){
     remakeMap(oldMap);
    }

I think their logo should be someone inserting their penis into their own anus.

If you're gonna nitpick, there is a lot more wrong with it than that. Starting with it being javascript, not Java.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Satchel said:
Yep.

Loop will be working title.

Xbox Infinity with infinity logo.
Infinity sounds like a code name.
Loop sounds like something they'd go with as a final product name.

mollipen

Very quick job, but if they style the "oo" / infinity sign right, they could also use a color/styling method to make the middle of the infinity sign an X. So, even when you've just got the Loop name in use, it has a reference back to the Xbox.

Really, thinking about the way Microsoft works, I could totally see them going this route. You don't want "Xbox 720", because then people think it isn't "true HD". You don't want "Xbox 1080" (even as much as I sometimes like to say that that's what they'd use), because they can't promise every game would be 1080p, and they don't want people to think they need 1080p HDTV's in order to use the console.

They'd be smarted finding some sort of non-numbered name, and with the trend they've been on lately (Bing, Kin, Zune, etc.), Loop wouldn't surprise me. I'm not saying it'd be a great choice, but it wouldn't surprise me. Plus, the world we live in now is far different than it used to be in terms of hardware naming. 10 years ago, I never would have believed "Wii" or "Vita".

loop.png

duk

Banned
360 + xbla need to be backwards compatible. Also a strong launch lineup is needed, if anything learn from the 3DS debacle.

- FM5
- Gears
- Kinect Sports
- Rare Shooter
- some type of BF and COD exclusivity is a must
- xbla goodness
- W8 interface + kinnect

$400 launch price would be nice

edit: also drop 360 to single sku $129 or $99 would be nice to have a lower end option

Proelite

duk said:
360 + xbla need to be backwards compatible. Also a strong launch lineup is needed, if anything learn from the 3DS debacle.

- FM5
- Gears
- Kinect Sports
- Rare Shooter
- xbla goodness
- W8 interface + kinnect

edit: also drop 360 to single sku $129 or $99 would be nice to have a lower end option

FM5
Next Epic exclusive new IP. Samaritan?
Alan Wake 2
Fable 4
Rare Casual Game
Latest COD
One more new IP from their new studios.

That's probably the most that one can expect from a MS launch lineup, and it's pretty average. So, keep your expectations low would be my suggestion.

Teknoman

duk said:

- FM5
- Gears
- Kinect Sports
- Rare Shooter
- xbla goodness
- W8 interface + kinnect

I dont think Gears would show up at all. Maybe new EPIC games shooter, but not Gears
saga is over and done with unless they tell the stuff that happened prior to Gears 1

TheOddOne

Teknoman said:
I dont think Gears would show up at all. Maybe new EPIC games shooter, but not Gears
saga is over and done with unless they tell the stuff that happened prior to Gears 1
It's gonna come back as a full fledged sequel and not a prequel.

Bank on it.

I wouldnt' mind if they wen't with a different color scheme that green and grey/white. I suspect green is as iconic with xbox as the name itself though, so my only hopes is something other than white/grey.
Maybe Green/Blue or they'll kinectify the whole branding with green/purple?

duk

Banned
Teknoman said:

$$$$ will make it happen!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Petrichor said:
It's not going to be "loop" though. At best it'll be "Xbox loop" and next to another typeface in a different colour this would look really busy.
Are you saying that they won't use an upper case L? Or that it'll be prefaced with "Xbox"? I agree that they probably won't drop the Xbox branding, but that still doesn't mean they can't add a nifty x to the Loop part.

Project Natal

Nintendo Revolution

"Loop" is 100% not going to be the final name.

EDIT: The real name will be revealed at a circus event

Salmonbottle said:
Project Natal

Nintendo Revolution

"Loop" is 100% not going to be the final name.
Xbox codenames tend to be Project _____, though. Project Midway, Project Xenon, Project Natal. This isn't being called Project Loop, it's Xbox Loop.

muu

Wonder what they'll do this time around to get the Japanese audience. "Loop" would definitely be easier to remember than San-Roku-Maru, they'd still need proper and approachable advertising so that people know the product exists AND not write it off as a gaijin product.

Backwards compatibility should be a given, but I also wonder how difficult it'd be to add enhancements to existing titles on a case-by-case basis, assuming they stay w/ AMD graphics on this iteration. Titles that "play better on Loop" could help out a ton of devs that don't have the immediate budget/knowhow to take up full-on next gen (or is 360/PS3 still "next gen?") but would still like to show their best.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
thekad said:
Damn, I was hoping for a 2012 launch :p

Too soon executus,

Now I'm starting to think that 2013 is the perfect launch year for a new system. We got the last leg of 6th gen releases next year and 1/2

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Klocker said:
in opposite world
Have you been paying attention to the trends for console brands, or even brands in general, lately?
Since Wii, console branding is very simple. One or two syllables.
Kinect, Move, Vita.
'Infinity' is four syllables and sounds complicated. The branding is going to be very simple, and designed not to put off casuals. Names like 'Genesis', '3DO' or even 'Xbox' aren't chosen any more.

Apath

brotkasten said:
Are you kidding? Xbox is their strongest consumer brand they have, next to Windows. They renamed Games for Windows Live to Xbox Live in Windows 8. "Xbox" isn't going anywhere.
Right.

I am saying that the XBOX name sucks for where they are taking the brand. Obviously there are reasons why this wouldn't happen, which is why this suggestion lies in the realms of "should of, would of, could of" or "what if?". It's entirely possible to phase out an old name for a new one, especially if they went with something like "Kinect", since that already has a strong association with the XBOX brand. I also believe it would be beneficial for marketing.

Your reasons don't really contradict why it would be a good idea. You just kind of say 1) XBOX is a powerful brand as a whole and 2) Some other Microsoft Game platform recently also took up the name XBOX. Which is... great and true, but not really contrary to anything besides evidence that they are not changing the name.

Even though Loop is (probably) just an internal code name I actually like it. It is at least better than Kinect or Wii U. However, only time will tell.
Edit: Also, what is better than one (Xbox) 360 degree circle? Two 360 degree circles. Xbox LOOP! It is twice the circle! Day one purchase.
Edit 2: I love this idea. The marketing lines are just coming to me.
Xbox Loop: Twice the circle!
Xbox Loop: Come swirl into a great time!
Instead of "But can it play Crysis?": But can it loop?
Xbox Loop: Its Looping power is over 9000 degrees! What? Over 9000 degrees?!?!
Once you loop the fun don't stop!
Get Loopy with the new Xbox Loop!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
duk said:
360 + xbla need to be backwards compatible.

If this gen has taught us anything it will be limited and not well supported after launch.

Also a strong launch lineup is needed, if anything learn from the 3DS debacle.

Not really. Home consoles are a very different type of purchase.

- Rare Shooter

LOL

Top Bottom