• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Microsoft Product Line-Up Features Xbox"loop" Announce And Release In 2013

bgassassin said:
I concluded on the last page that it couldn't be the 360 successor and that it sounded more like a set-top box.

From a date perspective, Project Ten sounds more like the successor I would expect. Have any links to him talking about that?
Its in the last third of the latest Windows Weekly podcast on twit.tv. I don't know exactly where it is. The show notes are below, if they are in order you probably will be able to find it:

http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Windows_Weekly_233

Majanew

Banned
charlequin said:
Who brought the crack to this party? Nobody's shipping a console in 2012-2013 without an optical drive, end of story.
Yeah, most likely not. Maybe if the next Xbox has two SKUs; one with, one without. I still think even that would be a stupid move. If the next Xbox has no optical drive, then it won't be around for long. Stick a damn Blu-ray in it, Microsoft. Or do you want me to keep turning my Xbox off to watch a pretty Blu-ray? It's the format now, deal with it.

iceatcs

planar1280 said:
anyone have an idea what will be the state of ARM based processors next year?
If they seriously on ARM, then I bet they will wait for ARMv8 which it will came 64bit support.

if this article from JULY is anything to go by

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/07/arm-chips-to-rival-ps3-xbox-360-in-18-months.ars

the next xbox will only be incrementaly more powerful with regards to CPU performance but if you combined multiple ARM cores for each segment like memory, gpu, physics, it could provide up to 2x performance or up to par with 2013 level PCs

ARM has been beating the performance drum again, this time telling the Inquirer that a new Mali GPU design due out in 18 months will make its chips the equal of current-gen gaming consoles like the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3. There can be little doubt that an ARM-based mobile chip will surpass these two consoles in pixel-pushing capacity (measured variously) at some point in the future, but we've heard this kind of talk about Mali before.

Some Googling turns up 2009 and 2010 as years when Mali was supposed to bring Xbox 360-level graphics to mobiles, and we're certain that if we went past the first page of search results we could find more.

But whatever ARM has said in the past, it's not really a stretch to imagine this happening in roughly an 18-month timeframe. For reference, at the 2010 ISSCC, Microsoft showed off the SoC that powers the latest version of the Xbox 360, a combo chip that puts the CPU and GPU of the console on the same 45nm die and clocks in at only 372 million transistors. That's a bit over 100 million transistors more than NVIDIA's 40nm Tegra 2 mobile chip from that same year. So yes, given a process shrink to 28nm or thereabouts, it seems quite possible that ARM will at the very least be able to pack as much hardware as the Xbox 360 does into an application processor.

So much for ARM's Mali claims. The much more interesting question is, what will NVIDIA have out at this point?

The company's upcoming Kal-El part is due out in the second half of this year, and it could well bring something approaching console-level performance to tablets and other portables. And 18 months from now, we may begin to see something out of Project Denver, which could well make for a killer desktop gaming chip (assuming that any games will run on it).

iceatcs

Majanew said:
If the next Xbox is ARM based...will it give me those Avatar graphics like AMD promised?
Not sure. Only I know ARM Cortex-A15 is coming on 2012 can running at up to 2.5 GHz.
It sound bit too slow for next gen, maybe v8 for 2013 sounds make a sense for next xbox.

BruiserBear said:
I find the ARM processor rumors very dubious.

agree. unless the design direction is for extremely small size or some kind of low power direction, i don't see any advantage of using ARM style processors instead of a traditional CPU/GPU. i mean, they will want low power, probably an "always on" super low drain standby...but you can do that with current dual cores.

kevinski

Banned
I really hope that Microsoft sticks with a processor architecture that's somewhat similar to what Xbox 360 uses. That'd make things easier on developers, and it'd likely allow for full backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 software.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
kevinski said:
I really hope that Microsoft sticks with a processor architecture that's somewhat similar to what Xbox 360 uses. That'd make things easier on developers, and it'd likely allow for full backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 software.

Considering they already have the 360 cpu and gpu on a single slab, it might not be that expensive to build it into the xbox C&D next.

Majanew

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
Considering they already have the 360 cpu and gpu on a single slab, it might not be that expensive to build it into the xbox C&D next.
The Xbox Cease and Desist? Catchy. Must be Kinect-Only based. I'll C&D that.

infinityBCRT said:
Its in the last third of the latest Windows Weekly podcast on twit.tv. I don't know exactly where it is. The show notes are below, if they are in order you probably will be able to find it:

http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Windows_Weekly_233

Thanks for the link. He thinks a reveal might happen at CES due to the 2012 launch. They could always do like they did with the 360 with a reveal before E3 and discuss the rest at E3.

Taking all the rumors we've heard here is a hypothesis of what it might look like. Obviously heat and cost is a concern when going for more power so MS decides on an APU in their console. To get more power without creating a hotbox or expensive console they are adding ARM cores to assist in certain areas. That would tie in with DICE talking about multiple processors. Not saying this as fact, just consolidating all the info into one possible idea.

clashfan

clutch.as.it.gets. said:
If MS is seriously going the wii route i`m out and hope that the ps 4 will go the traditional way and offer a big leap.

Considering Sony's financial situation, I really doubt that.

AlStrong

clutch.as.it.gets. said:
If MS is seriously going the wii route i`m out and hope that the ps 4 will go the traditional way and offer a big leap.

Right, because Sony has that much more incentive to produce an even heavier loss leader than the competition. :p

Marco1

AlStrong said:
Right, because Sony has that much more incentive to produce an even heavier loss leader than the competition. :p
Exactly, they still have the vita to try and push.
If it fails we may not even see a PS4. People forget how much trouble Sony is in right now.

Top Bottom