• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Microsoft Product Line-Up Features Xbox"loop" Announce And Release In 2013

Globox_82

Banned
gatti-man said:
2014 is too late. I just refuse to believe it. Consoles are already so stale. At this point I keep my 360a for parties (kinect) and the ps3 for bluray. Gaming on them already seems last gen compared to the pc.
Really? And WHAT games are you playing on your "superior" next gen PC? Battlefield? GTFO!
Just because it has better graphics doesn't make it next next gen. Ah arrogance of new PC gamers, so cute. I have yet to see one single PC only game that has something that will make me go "Ok that is only possible on PC". And I am not talking about graphics. GAMEPLAY, something different and new.

Phonomezer said:
Isn't there some kind of xbox event soon? Or has it already happened?

I believe it is always hold in February but the this and last year was just a press event where they could try the upcoming games no big reveals.

MrBig

Buckethead said:
Dumb name.

P.S. Where's mah fall dashboard update?
The beta for it is supposed to last another 3 months, so it may be a while before the new dashboard comes out.

MrBig said:
The beta for it is supposed to last another 3 months, so it may be a while before the new dashboard comes out.

There's no way the beta will run for that long. It's just a specific type of wording that allows them a large amount of breathing room in case a user finds a machine breaking issue.

The update will hit this year, and probably this november.

And I can't really see a Loop announcement at the VGA's. It's way way way too early to announce a console to the broad mainstream gamers. A console that is two years out should not be announced at such a show.

Proelite said:
Considering that we haven't gotten the full leaked system specs, I am saying no.

Not saying it's going to happen, but they're getting better at this kind of thing; we didn't know about the 360 Slim or "Kinect" until a few hours before E3, and the Slim was revealed by accident in an advertisement on some Italian website.

Proelite

Phonomezer said:
Not saying it's going to happen, but they're getting better at this kind of thing; we didn't know about the 360 Slim or "Kinect" until a few hours before E3, and the Slim was revealed by accident in an advertisement on some Italian website.

We actually had pictures of the Slim mobo at least weeks before it was announced.

FreeMufasa

Phonomezer said:

I remember we knew MS would show a motion control a while before E3, but no idea what. But I do remember around E3 2009 it was leaked MS were going to relaunch the 360 in 2010 with a slim version and motion controller.

Globox_82 said:
Really? And WHAT games are you playing on your "superior" next gen PC? Battlefield? GTFO!
Just because it has better graphics doesn't make it next next gen. Ah arrogance of new PC gamers, so cute. I have yet to see one single PC only game that has something that will make me go "Ok that is only possible on PC". And I am not talking about graphics. GAMEPLAY, something different and new.
It's impossible to get a 64 player Battlefield on this generation of consoles. Hell, we can't even get 32 players.

Besides, how many games this gen wouldn't be possible on a PS2 with no other change than worse graphics?

Proelite said:
Considering that we haven't gotten the full leaked system specs, I am saying no.

Don't forget they unveiled the 360 and specs on that MTV special, so it's possible they could do it again in a non-E3 setting.

Doesn't this leak specifically state the next Xbox will be announced just 6 months before it launches?

I believe they'll stick to that timeline. Just as they did with the 360.

Fall 2013 is a long long time away. I wonder how this is going to affect PC hardware sales. Consoles are pretty much tapped out already and today's PC's are already able to easily run console ports at insane resolutions at 60fps with max settings. With games tech progression stagnating due to consoles there wont be much reason for most people to buy new hardware for quite awhile.

LCfiner

I H8 Memes said:
Fall 2013 is a long long time away. I wonder how this is going to affect PC hardware sales. Consoles are pretty much tapped out already and today's PC's are already able to easily run console ports at insane resolutions at 60fps with max settings. With games tech progression stagnating due to consoles there wont be much reason for most people to buy new hardware for quite awhile.

well, I’ll be +1 for the gaming PC purchase coming this Xmas.

but I don’t think any change in high end PC (or PC component) purchases will be noticeable due to the long console lifespan. the number of folks who care about the improved IQ you can get on the PC compared to consoles has got to be absolutely tiny.

Boss Man

sangreal said:
If you're gonna nitpick, there is a lot more wrong with it than that. Starting with it being javascript, not Ruby.
Pickin nits.
Java sucks.

New logo?

xbxloop.gif

Jumpman23

AndyMoogle said:
It's impossible to get a 64 player Battlefield on this generation of consoles. Hell, we can't even get 32 players.

If MAG can do 256 players on the PS3, there is no reason larger player counts couldn't be done on the Xbox 360 too. Blame the devs, their engine of choice and the associated network server structure...not the consoles.

MrBig

Jumpman23 said:
If MAG can do 256 players on the PS3, there is no reason larger player counts couldn't be done on the Xbox 360 too. Blame the devs, their engine of choice and the associated network server structure...not the consoles.
It's not because of any of those things, it is because of bandwidth caps imposed by MS and Sony, iirc

Jumpman23 said:

MAG is only possible because the way it's set up. Try getting a fraction of those 256 on screen at one time and see what happens. Also, horrible graphics and framerate either way. There is a reason it flopped and a reason why the master race doesn't have FPS games with that many players.

32-64 is glorious but even pushing it for some people.

FoxSpirit said:
Picked up a rumour: the XBox successor is supposedly announced before the year is over.
I can't completele vouch for the source except that he does know the right people and has 0 reasons to lie to me.
I'm curious.

If that's true then Loop could be something else. Next year it looks like they're releasing an XBox SDK and store, I can only think that must be for Windows 8, so they may be spreading the brand about and making a compatible TV device alongside that.

FoxSpirit said:
Picked up a rumour: the XBox successor is supposedly announced before the year is over.
I can't completele vouch for the source except that he does know the right people and has 0 reasons to lie to me.
I'm curious.

Revisiting this, I always had a very remote feeling that the 360 successor may have been left off that list altogether. Knowing how things get out these days MS may have left it off intentionally to avoid it leaking.

dwebo said:
Xbox Loop announced at the VGAs. Could it happen?

Not in a million fucking years. They want the entire world to get on their hype train like they did with Kinect. You honestly think microsoft cares about the small amount of ashamed gamers who watch the VGA's? nawwwwwwwwwwwwww dog. Fat slobs wearing metallica t-shirts if you recall correctly.

I was reading the comments section from that blog post of MS Nerds' about the ARM cores and he/she just said this not long ago.

MS Nerd said:
The current development plans do not include an optical drive in the base unit. I don't see why an accessory is not possible for those who need it.

All the more reason why I can't believe it to be true. I have a tough time believing that is even considered as an option let alone being the current focus for any SKU offered.

bgassassin said:
I was reading the comments section from that blog post of MS Nerds' about the ARM cores and he/she just said this not long ago.

All the more reason why I can't believe it to be true. I have a tough time believing that is even considered as an option let alone being the current focus for any SKU offered.
If theres any truth to what MS Nerd is saying, hes not talking about a video game playing Xbox. Instead hes talking about a media box thats an Apple TV/Roku/Boxee competitor.

Paul Thurrott (of Windows Weekly) has started to talk next Xbox over the last couple of weeks as well. He says its called "Project Ten" and its going to be revealed early next year (he thinks around CES) and rolled out in November 2012.

That sounds a little too early based on developer plans for current gen games. I think fall 2013 seems to be the smart bet right now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bgassassin said:

they have been saying that they will ditch physical media in a new console since 2007.

unomas

Banned
If we can get a nice graphical leap I'm all for it in Fall 2013. It will have been 8 years at that point since the launch of the 360, and downloadable games would also be great, just as long as you can download and start playing within a reasonable time.

infinityBCRT said:
If theres any truth to what MS Nerd is saying, hes not talking about a video game playing Xbox. Instead hes talking about a media box thats an Apple TV/Roku/Boxee competitor.

Paul Thurrott (of Windows Weekly) has started to talk next Xbox over the last couple of weeks as well. He says its called "Project Ten" and its going to be revealed early next year (he thinks around CES) and rolled out in November 2012.

That sounds a little too early based on developer plans for current gen games. I think fall 2013 seems to be the smart bet right now.

I concluded on the last page that it couldn't be the 360 successor and that it sounded more like a set-top box.

From a date perspective, Project Ten sounds more like the successor I would expect. Have any links to him talking about that?

subversus said:
they have been saying that they will ditch physical media in a new console since 2007.

Yeah I know they've been talking about it for awhile, but it's still too soon to try it.

Raide

unomas said:
If we can get a nice graphical leap I'm all for it in Fall 2013. It will have been 8 years at that point since the launch of the 360, and downloadable games would also be great, just as long as you can download and start playing within a reasonable time.

Good graphical leap + Backwards Compatibility = Day 1 Purchase.

Can't believe people expect/demand optical drives on next-gen systems to be released 2013-2014. I mean, fucking really? What an archaic and outdated medium. Slow, clunky, noisy, unreliable, fragile, easily the weakest link in any device. You can get a 16GB usb key for like $10 these days. Imagine how cheap they would be if ordered in massive quantities by Sony/Microsoft in 2013. Much better storage medium right there.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Can't believe people expect/demand optical drives on next-gen systems to be released 2013-2014. I mean, fucking really? What an archaic and outdated medium. Slow, clunky, noisy, unreliable, fragile, easily the weakest link in any device.
The biggest reason to drop it would be to save costs. I don't think Optical drives are necessary as an avid Steam user. If the rumour is true and MS' next console is DD only, then I'll be happy. On the other hand, if they want worldwide market penetration, it is sort of necessary, since the infrastructure isn't that up to scratch as the developed countries.

Meisadragon said:
The biggest reason to drop it would be to save costs. I don't think Optical drives are necessary as an avid Steam user. If the rumour is true and MS' next console is DD only, then I'll be happy. On the other hand, if they want worldwide market penetration, it is sort of necessary, since the infrastructure isn't that up to scratch as the developed countries.

Or even in all parts of the US/Europe.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Can't believe people expect/demand optical drives on next-gen systems to be released 2013-2014. I mean, fucking really? What an archaic and outdated medium. Slow, clunky, noisy, unreliable, fragile, easily the weakest link in any device. You can get a 16GB usb key for like $10 these days. Imagine how cheap they would be if ordered in massive quantities by Sony/Microsoft in 2013. Much better storage medium right there.

Meisadragon said what I would have said and BigJiantRobut added what I was going to while I was posting. This is about market penetration and the market in general is still not ready for that kind of transition.

bgassassin said:
Meisadragon said what I would have said and BigJiantRobut added what I was going to while I was posting. This is about market penetration and the market in general is still not ready for that kind of transition.

This.

Normal people is not ready for going DD or something resembling it.

duk

Banned
Should still have optical drive, ppl still buy dvds/BR in droves... dont think we are ready for pure DD for another 5+ years

also call is Xbox Infinite

edit: there will be a nice graphical leap but will take some time to get there... ala 3rd gen 360 games

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox 720 Will Be Smaller, Cheaper Than Xbox 360 and ARM Based.

Microsoft may be keeping quiet about development of the next generation Xbox, but a couple of crucial aspects of the console have surfaced by way of reputable Microsoft leak blogger MS Nerd.

The Xbox 720, as it has become commonly referred to as, is allegedly codenamed "loop," and will be much smaller than the Xbox 360. Moreover, MS Nerd claims the system will cost less to produce in the hopes for achieving higher Kinect adoption. In addition, the console will be based on a modified version of the yet-to-be-announced Windows 9.

MS Nerd continues by stating that "It will use a Zune HD-like hardware platform—a 'main' processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors. It will be custom designed by Microsoft and two partners based on the ARM architecture."

IGN.

Sorry if old.

itsgreen

Lonely1 said:

Microsoft may be keeping quiet about development of the next generation Xbox, but a couple of crucial aspects of the console have surfaced by way of reputable Microsoft leak blogger MS Nerd.

The Xbox 720, as it has become commonly referred to as, is allegedly codenamed "loop," and will be much smaller than the Xbox 360. Moreover, MS Nerd claims the system will cost less to produce in the hopes for achieving higher Kinect adoption. In addition, the console will be based on a modified version of the yet-to-be-announced Windows 9.

MS Nerd continues by stating that "It will use a Zune HD-like hardware platform—a 'main' processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors. It will be custom designed by Microsoft and two partners based on the ARM architecture."

IGN.

Sorry if old.

A little old, it's what MS Nerd posted on Nov 2 ...

onQ123

Lonely1 said:

IGN.

Sorry if old.

this is what the last few pages of this this thread is about.

AzaK

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

Are you talking about buying software on a USB key? DVDs are probably a few cents each. Multiply that by the number of units of software and you get a big fat wad of cash that you wouldn't if you wasted it on keys. Even the cost of the drive wouldn't offset that.

Same reason Nintendo leave out cheap things like DVD playback. A few bucks doesn't sound like much but multiply that by 90 million units and I bet nintendo want that cash.

For a group of gamers that pride themselves on being in the know when it comes to industry happenings, I'm finding it hilarious that some are commenting on the marketability of a goddamned internal code name.

Top Bottom