• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Microsoft Product Line-Up Features Xbox"loop" Announce And Release In 2013

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Majanew said:
Oh, MS...please please please make the next Xbox as beast as possible specs-wise.
Given the schedule, anyone who just released a game needs to be considering next-gen support, and anyone releasing a game next year *really* needs to be considering next-gen support, and thus developers need ballpark specs soon.

So, if this is real, we should be getting a lot of leaks around the middle of next year as a much, much larger number of developers are allowed access to the hardware.

BKK

Loop sounds wishy washy, like they're trying to soften their image to appeal to the kinect crowd and not just the hardcore, a bit like Wii. Makes sense, but I prefer the power name days of Mega Super Ultra Engine Drive Station.

French

Banned
After Kinect's success, the Xbox 3 could be the Wii of the next generation if MS follow that path. And remember what Rare said they wanted from the next gen : "Getting new people into the industry, as comfortable with games as they are with books/movies, and making it as easy to play as possible/really really simple to play."

Pretty scary. :)

theRizzle

It seems most likely that Loop is just a codename, but I wouldn't be upset if that ended up being the final name for the console. It's short and easy to say, but I don't think either of those things matters because people are just going to say Xbox anyways.

Josh7289

Assuming it's real, and even if it's just a codename, Xbox Loop does not sound bad at all. In any case, exciting times ahead!

Apath

I wonder if Microsoft will charge for XBOX Live next generation. On one hand, I cannot see how they could still have a leg up over the Playstation network to even justify a price tag for the service. On the other hand, with the rise of Playstation+ and Online Passes, Microsoft may be able to continue with what they're doing.

Josh7289 said:
Assuming it's real, and even if it's just a codename, Xbox Loop does not sound bad at all. In any case, exciting times ahead!
Has to be a code name. When have we ever gotten an official name as the first leaked title? (Well, besides the obvious like Ps1->Ps2->Ps3).

French said:
After Kinect's success, the Xbox 3 could be the Wii of the next generation if MS follow that path. And remember what Rare said they wanted from the next gen : "Getting new people into the industry, as comfortable with games as they are with books/movies, and making it as easy to play as possible/really really simple to play."

Lmao. You aren't even trying to be subtle, are you?

ULTROS! said:
Xbox Loop?

2921zpv.jpg

This is awesome.

BKK

Kenak said:
I wonder if Microsoft will charge for XBOX Live next generation. On one hand, I cannot see how they could still have a leg up over the Playstation network to even justify a price tag for the service. On the other hand, with the rise of Playstation+ and Online Passes, Microsoft may be able to continue with what they're doing.

They're not going to give up such a huge source of revenue, the real question is if Sony can afford not to charge for online with PS4.

Derrick01

Banned
French said:

Well seeing as they're already doing that right now with hardly anything for the core I don't think assuming it will keep happening next gen is that much of a stretch.

PaulLFC

OK, here's a most likely stupid idea:

If Xbox Loop will indeed be the name, maybe they're trying to push the already quite well known "XBL" acronym. It's already used for Xbox Live, and they're bringing Xbox Live to PC as well...

Kenak said:
They definitely will. I'm guessing Sony will also.

Spec wise i don´t see MS going wild, since MS wants to be profitable on the hardware on day one. Same for Sony. There will be huge from this generation, but people should too high expectations. MS said that they don´t want to lose money on consoles anymore.

Apath

Galvanise_ said:
I dislike the name loop a lot.
The names should not matter one bit to gamers. After using it for so long, it'll eventually become synonymous with the system and you won't even think about the name. It could be called Kakacuntfucker and it wouldn't matter. Where it really matters is marketing to the masses.

BKK said:
They're not going to give up such a huge source of revenue, the real question is if Sony can afford not to charge for online with PS4.
But will they have much of a choice? Discounting PS+ and Online Play Passes for a minute, isn't the only reason Microsoft can charge for XBOX Live is because of the advantages it has over PSN? In other words, to a different extreme, if XBL were constantly playing catchup to the PSN, do you still think Microsoft could get away with charging for Live?

Mrbob

So does this mean Xbox Next won't be launching with Kinect 2? Especially if Kinect 2 isn't available until a year later than Nextbox release. This is the most exciting news to me.

MrBig

Mrbob said:
So does this mean Xbox Next won't be launching with Kinect 2? Especially if Kinect 2 isn't available until a year later than Nextbox release. This is the most exciting news to me.
I don't know if this ended up being true for the final hardware, but the kinect supposedly had better hardware than the current gen xbox was able to use, so that it would be viable for the next gen.

Ptaaty

You would love LOOP if the viral marketing had been in place for a bit....

xbox was pretty weak trying to sound Xstreem
....xbox 360 even worse

Playstation? Can any thing sound more like "kids" than this? Fischer Price like.
PS2/3 sounded fine because PS1 was already beaten into our brains.

Wii? I think we all know this history.

What's in a name? Not much until it becomes brand recognition though the power of marketing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mrbob said:
Back when they were first unveiling Kinect, Microsoft mentioned their corporate strategy is to get the hardcore gamers first and then target the casual audience when their console is a bit cheaper.

MrBig said:
I don't know if this ended up being true for the final hardware, but the kinect supposedly had better hardware than the current gen xbox was able to use, so that it would be viable for the next gen.
I believe it is that the camera can capture a higher image resolution than the 360 can really analyze effectively while maintaining a good framerate.

Averon

Beam said:
Spec wise i don´t see MS going wild, since MS wants to be profitable on the hardware on day one. Same for Sony. There will be huge from this generation, but people should too high expectations. MS said that they don´t want to lose money on consoles anymore.

I don't know. Sony went big with Vita spec-wise despite everything they experienced with the PS3. I don't see them shying away with the PS4. Obviously they're not going to go overboard like they did with the PS3, but I definitely see Sony pushing as hard as they can with the PS4's hardware while keeping costs to within reasonable limits.

Apath

Nirolak said:
I believe it is that the camera can capture a higher image resolution than the 360 can really analyze effectively while maintaining a good framerate.
Maybe they can get finger tracking into the next gen iteration.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Majanew said:
Messed around in shop lol

10fp7qf.png

Change the B into the Infinity and just have Xbox.

The future, you're welcome.

Dany

Banned
Maybe they are changing their Live system or integrating it to Loop? Loop could by a system where all of the 3rd party apps and stuff that is currently on xbox live could integrate with all of your others windows devises.

Also, code names

Dany M said:
Maybe they are changing their Live system or integrating it to Loop? Loop could by a system where all of the 3rd party apps and stuff that is currently on xbox live could integrate with all of your others windows devises.

Also, code names

That'd be a good idea, but Microsoft will see what Apple does with reselling you the same apps for your different devices, so I doubt it'll fly.

I personally don't understand why they wouldn't launch Kinect v.2 without it though. That makes less sense.

Top Bottom