• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite & NBA2K14 ship 7 mil, Civ V 6 mil, GTA V 34M, Borderlands 2 10 mil

Saty

Infinite close to 7M shipped; NBA2K14 crossed that which makes the best-selling 2K sports title ever. And if i've heard right, 2K14 is the third-best selling PS4\XB1 game in the US and Europe.

[Note: This is from Take-Two's earnings call.]

Conference call archive: http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/fz7qomh5/lan/en

The exact phrasing is:

- NBA 2K14 is 2K's "first sports release to cross the 7M sell-in mark".
- NBA 2K14 is the "3rd highest unit-selling title of any genre on the PS4 and XB1 in the US". This is higher than Madden or FIFA.
- Infinite sold-in 'nearly 7M units'.

More stuff i missed:

- Borderlands 2 has now sold-in more than 10M units.
- Civ V sold-in more than 6M units.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Copy bump.

Since I'm sure the topic will come up, I'm guessing that Infinite itself was quite profitable, but the outlook of successfully shipping another game in the series in a timely and cost effective manner was grim, hence the Irrational downsizing and handing the series over to 2K Novato instead.

A-V-B

Basically no matter how much Infinite sold, unless it was WoW/CoD levels, they were gonna lose money because of how much time it took to make and how many times they changed development direction.

Averon

You can shift 7 million copies and still the dev house that made the game had to shut down. What was BI's budget?

Into

7 million people got abused by one Jackson Ellis
Bo1oz82IQAEyeXi.png:large

(though obviously he only appears in the next gen version of NBA 2k14, etc etc)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Infinite is finally profitable? Didn't it need to sell 6 million or something?

If I had to guess it was probably profitable in the 3-4 million range and the structural issues with Irrational were the cause of their demise as opposed to the sales of the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Which is simply madness if true considering that Bioshock as a series has nowhere near the sales clout that GTA does.

They obviously weren't expecting GTA numbers because they called it a major success when it shipped 3.6 million copies up front.

atr0cious

7M for NBA2k14 across generations or only on current gen? Because that sounds really low other wise. Maybe I've just overestimated sports sales, but 7M for the only NBA game on the market seems really low.

ugoo18

They obviously weren't expecting GTA numbers because they called it a major success when it shipped 3.6 million copies up front.

I don't mean madness for expecting GTA numbers which as you said they didn't and shouldn't, i meant it would be madness to pump that much into it.

Takuan

NBA 2K14 numbers are very disappointing. I hate the direction the series went this year and the sales will only encourage more f2p elements in $60 games.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yes, the Take-Two earnings call is going on. I updated the OP to be more clear.

Thanks, wasn't even aware this was going on.

What a weird week to start up Infinite again for me, though.

7 million is great, though. Maybe not when you put into consideration of the nature of the game's development, but I'm happy the game has sold as much.

Phamit

7M for NBA2k14 across generations or only on current gen? Because that sounds really low other wise. Maybe I've just overestimated sports sales, but 7M for the only NBA game on the market seems really low.

It isnt the only NBA game, but i understand that you forgot the existence of the other game.

Quentyn

Just listened to that part again. They also said that Borderlands 2 is now at over 10 million units and Civ V at over 6 million units. That is both up one million since their last announced numbers in May.

atr0cious

It isnt the only NBA game, but i understand that you forgot the existence of the other game.

Well for all intents and purposes it is. NBA Live is next gen only, so the 160M last gen base had one game to choose from last year, and only a percentage of 7 million of them picked it up. Do we have NBA Live's numbers?

Saty

The exact phrasing is:

- NBA 2K14 is the "3rd highest unit-selling title of any genre on the PS4 and XB1 in the US". This is higher than Madden or FIFA.

More stuff i missed:

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The exact phrasing is:

More stuff i missed:

Thanks.

Instro

Presumably the Irrational problems have to do with the length of time the game took to complete and possibly Levine's own feelings about the studio, rather than actual sales/money issues.

You can shift 7 million copies and still the dev house that made the game had to shut down. What was BI's budget?

I remember reading about that game's development and to be fair they would work on stuff for a long time and then on a whim just scrap it, change direction and start over. They would kill time working on things that never got used or had little chance of being used. If you're working like that you're just burning money. AAA gaming would already be tough to break even or profit on but wasteful development and general mismanagement are going to make things significantly harder.

GamerSoul

Just listened to that part again. They also said that Borderlands 2 is now at over 10 million units and Civ V at over 6 million units. That is both up one million since May.

Since May? not bad at all. and yea the Vita version being included makes sense for BL2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Scary how selling 7M copies will barely make you break even. What needs to change within the gaming industry?
We don't know the break even point of BioShock Infinite. It could have been much lower.

The studio was a walking trainwreck so maybe even if they sold 10 million copies they would have shut down and someone who could capitalize on that more efficiently would have been given the reigns.

I sincerely doubt the game hasn't been a profitable success at this point.

Even if 2K only gets a return or $20 on average, that's still $140,000,000, but I'd assume the game grossed higher due to the original retail price and the game just reaching the $20-30 retail mark. If Infinite cost more than $100,000,000 to make, I'd eat my hat, but you never know I guess.

It almost seems like Irrational closing was more about Levine wanting to scale things back as opposed to 2K not wanting to fund them anymore.

onQ123

7 Million & really low shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Do sales number mean as much as they used to? For instance, how many of those copies of Bioshock Infinite or Borderlands 2 sold for $10-$20 in PC sales. I know I personally bought Infinite for $10. I wonder if they'll ever switch to monetary statistics instead of sales numbers. But then again, it might not look as good to shareholders.

Quentyn

Since May? not bad at all. and yea the Vita version being included makes sense for BL2.

Sorry, that might be a bit unclear. They announced the last numbers in May. Those were for the quarter ending in March. So one million since April until the end of June.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do sales number mean as much as they used to? For instance, how many of those copies of Bioshock Infinite or Borderlands 2 sold for $10-$20 in PC sales. I know I personally bought Infinite for $10. I wonder if they'll ever switch to monetary statistics instead of sales numbers. But then again, it might not look as good to shareholders.

A lot of publishers have switched to only sharing revenue numbers, but what's key about sales numbers is that it's the number of people who were willing to give you money in exchange for the product and are potential repeat customers with the next game.

Velcro Fly

I got all three of these free on PS+. In fact I think they are the only PS3 games I've downloaded since I got my PS3 last month

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I got all three of these free on PS+. In fact I think they are the only PS3 games I've downloaded since I got my PS3 last month

Given that there were 6 million Civ V copies on Steam when they announced they had only sold 5 million copies, I don't think they count giving games away for free.

Top Bottom