• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite & NBA2K14 ship 7 mil, Civ V 6 mil, GTA V 34M, Borderlands 2 10 mil

Saty

I assume Infinite numbers also include the Burial at Sea DLC, right?

Sorry, that might be a bit unclear. They announced the last numbers in May. Those were for the quarter ending in March. So one million since April until the end of June.
Was that also in the conference call? the press release didn't have numbers.

edit: yeah, here: http://seekingalpha.com/article/221...-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=2

By the end of March, Infinite has sold-in more than 6M; now it's 'nearly 7M'.

Mooreberg

Nobody at Take 2 would expect Infinite to sell like GTA. Which makes it all the more confusing that a publisher owned Irrational was given more time between releases than GTA. Something went wrong enough that it basically killed the studio.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think the two DLC count as a Bioshock Infinite sale. Borderlands 2 don't have DLC included, or else it would be at like 15m :)

I think the only DLC they ever counted as sales were the retail packs for GTA IV and maybe RDR.

I could be wrong.

Given that there were 6 million Civ V copies on Steam when they announced they had only sold 5 million copies, I don't think they count giving games away for free.

Ya, the fact that they say 'Shipped' makes me think this applies to retail only, but I could be wrong. If it is retail, that could mean the games have likely pulled even more gross revenue than this suggests.

Kusagari

NBA 2K14 numbers are very disappointing. I hate the direction the series went this year and the sales will only encourage more f2p elements in $60 games.

2K declares NBA2K to be their highest selling sports title ever.

User calls numbers very disappointing.

Saty

so with NBA news and this data provided by Activison
Life to date, Activision Publishing’s Call of Duty: Ghosts remained the #1 best-selling game on the next-generation consoles in North America and Europe combined.
We have 2 of the top 3 selling PS4&XB1 games in the US.

#1 - Ghosts
#3 - NBA 2k15.

Who's #2? We know it ain't Madden or FIFA. BF4 is probably the obvious choice.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Is it crazy to expect GTA to reach 50mill mark after the new gen and PC release?

Gator86

Copy bump.

Since I'm sure the topic will come up, I'm guessing that Infinite itself was quite profitable, but the outlook of successfully shipping another game in the series in a timely and cost effective manner was grim, hence the Irrational downsizing and handing the series over to 2K Novato instead.

This seems crazy to me. They had a great studio that just needed a little bit more direction and a tighter leash. Why not just provide those and not tear the whole thing down? I mean, it's clearly not that simple or straightforward, but man, it seems like an uncessary loss for the industry. Hopefully, the next Bioshock turns out great regardless.

ZoddGutts

People are missing the point with Infinite's failure. It took about 6 years too develop because Irrational Games kept on restarting over with Infinite. It was bound to be financial failure.

vazel

Banned
Wasn't Civ V given out free in promotions a couple times. I remember getting that free at one point.

Jprobes

Banned
7 million people got abused by one Jackson Ellis

(though obviously he only appears in the next gen version of NBA 2k14, etc etc)

That shit was great. Jackson Ellis, poor bastard got silly levels of revenge taken out on him.

I wonder though how many of those numbers are attributed to those games being on PS+ in the last year. How are those downloads or "purchases" from the PSN store accounted for?The 2k14 numbers are impressive though.

I have my gripes with NBA2k series, Its nice to see them get the interest but the developers need to clean that game up big time before it starts to reach madden levels of stagnation.

The My Career has some very lame features. The same voice actor for your character has been around for like 5 years now. I understand that all the dialogue has to be recorded but its lame that at halftime/end of game interviews are never done with your player. Why cant they record some sound bites and shit instead of formulating generalized responses from RL players and coaches that are lame. I just dropped a triple double and they are talking to Matt Barnes in a wheelchair.

The game needs to be more robust. The game play is still really good but the presentation is shit. I'd rather not have it then continue on with how it is. Do something interesting with it 2K, your a big publisher. While VC may make a decent NBA game play engine, they are shit with everything else. GET THEM SOME HELP!

I am usually not super critical about these things but after playing 5 full seasons of mycareer, its absolutely the worst part about the game. The level of human exposure to the shit presentation they produce makes me not want to buy 2k15.

But I will... because the Lakers sucked the big D this past year and retained their draft pick so I can finally get drafted by them!

Kusagari

so with NBA news and this data provided by Activison

We have 2 of the top 3 selling PS4&XB1 games in the US.

#1 - Ghosts
#3 - NBA 2k15.

Who's #2? We know it ain't Madden or FIFA. BF4 is probably the obvious choice.

The only other thing it could be would be Assassin's Creed.

Armaros

People are missing the point with Infinite's failure. It took about 6 years too develop because Irrational Games kept on restarting over with Infinite. It was bound to be financial failure.

6 years of development time for a game the size of infinite is an eternity. They could have fit one maybe 2 more games in that timeframe, if it was a more traditional developer.

To put it in perspective, Firaxis make Civ V, most of the expansions and Xcom and almost finished its expansion in the development time of Infinite.

And I imagine at a much lower cost.

Teeth

It almost seems like Irrational closing was more about Levine wanting to scale things back as opposed to 2K not wanting to fund them anymore.

Despite what the press release said, Levine didn't have the capacity to control the size and existence of Irrational. They were 2K owned. He was the scapegoat and 2K offered him an olive branch for his "indie" studio.

You can shift 7 million copies and still the dev house that made the game had to shut down. What was BI's budget?

You can, if only the first million of copies sold at $60, other 2 million at $35 and the other 3 million at $15.

Just saying, it isn't as easy as "7 million x $60".

Let's say the game was 100 millions to develop (5 years, AAA studio), and 90 millions for marketing. 190 millions total.

190 M / 7M units = $27.14 needed as profit per copy to just break even! I doubt the average net profit per copy for 2K was that much. So no, I would say they still haven't break even, one year after release.
edit: a more conservative estimate, let's say 80 millions to develop and 80M for marketing, 160M in total . Profit needed = $22.85. Closer, but still short of what they win with a copy.

charsace

NBA 2k Funds the development of all of 2k other games. I doubt they spend much on it and it is good for 4million+ every year. NBA 2k is a case of great base for the game with everything else being a glitchy pile of horseshit.

Top Bottom