• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcatraz |OT| The Island is Over There

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

i cant stop starring at her boobs..

v0PRw.jpg

not every mystery on Lost was meant to be solved

Except the ones that made no sense having no resolution.

But then again, we're talking about a show that not even the creators wanted to do. A show that, ironically enough, was picked up because they wrote it to be unpickup-able.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
i cant stop starring at her boobs..

Yeah, her boobs were one of the high points of the show, lol! I'll watch again just to see how much they show those puppies off! :)

like what?

But then again, we're talking about a show that not even the creators wanted to do. A show that, ironically enough, was picked up because they wrote it to be unpickup-able.

yes the creators spent a huge budget creating a pilot(and an endgame) that they didn't want picked up, and they got approved for it. c'mon son.

----

i hope its not just another random inmate of the week next episode on Alcatraz. while the personal story of the sniper was cool, i still want something more involving the overall narrative.

The show definitely suffers in comparison to Lost, which is absolutely unfair as Lost had one of the greatest pilots of all time. I can't say it totally grabbed me, and the timebending "twists" aren't doing much for me, but I'm intrigued enough to keep watching. And Alcatraz stuff is always cool.

I should also say that the implausibility of the Scooby gang getting together so fast is OK with me. Lost would have had 1 ep with the cop, 1 with cop + author, 1 with cop+author+Sam Neil, etc...

ivysaur12

Banned

They didn't write it to not get picked up, they just thought they wouldn't get picked up to pilot because of the expense. Once they got picked up and got a $10 million dollar price tag on their pilot, yeah, they were into it.

-BLITZ-

The serie idea is excellent and it got a good start but the conversations are very light at the moment, maybe because I got used with Fringe and Castle asking for too much. They need to work out more on this.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'd say I enjoyed the second episode way more than the first... I think this show is pretty decent and will need more episode before I make up my mind for good ;)

zugzug

Hurley has zero purpose to be in this show.

I just erased 6 lines i wrote cuz I did not want to spoiler tag and I didnt' think they were particularly spoilerish just comments on the actors.

Hurley has zero purpose to be in this show.

I just erased 6 lines i wrote cuz I did not want to spoiler tag and I didnt' think they were particularly spoilerish just comments on the actors.

He is a pretty useless character so far. Just spouts stupid pop culture references and looks uncomfortably obese. And she didn't want that other guy because he was too slow!

I see that I am not the only one that was taken in by Sarah Jones's wonderful chest.

And as for the rest of the show, I am in. I am curious to see where it goes.

Chemo

Damn, this was pretty terrible in general. The premise is pretty lame, none of the characters are even remotely interesting, the cast is incredibly weak... even the score is boring, which is kind of mind-blowing because MG is usually pretty great. I won't be watching this one again... too bad, I was hoping it might be entertaining.

The people who are criticizing Sarah Jones are probably the same people who were (or would have been) criticizing Anna Torv on the early episodes of Fringe. However, Torv started excelling later on in that show (particularly season 3 on wards). Jones is a good actress, and she showed that in Sons of Anarchy - but she had a lot of character to play with on there. Currently, she is just a basic detective, with very little back-story, and very few ties to other character in the show. Let he develop a bit before you criticize!!

Damn, this was pretty terrible in general. The premise is pretty lame, none of the characters are even remotely interesting, the cast is incredibly weak... even the score is boring, which is kind of mind-blowing because MG is usually pretty great. I won't be watching this one again... too bad, I was hoping it might be entertaining.

I have no idea who MG is but I loved the score!

Looking at the Schedule, this is the lineup for the next few weeks...

"Pilot" January 16, 2012
"Ernest Cobb" January 16, 2012
"
Kit Nelson
" January 23, 2012
"
Cal Sweeney
" January 23, 2012
"" January 30, 2012
"" February 6, , 2012
"" February 13, 2012
"" February 20, , 2012
"" February 27, 2012
"" February 27, 2012
"" March 5 2012
"" March 12, 2012
"" March 12, 2012​

If it is correct, there are two more double bills in February and March.

comedian

I can't stand this show....

They have a picture of all the prisoners/guards etc... , why don't they just get a camera with face recognition for people boarding the bloody boat. Unless they want the prisoners to go off and kill a few people for some bullshit reason.

I can't stand this show....

They have a picture of all the prisoners/guards etc... , why don't they just get a camera with face recognition for people boarding the bloody boat. Unless they want the prisoners to go off and kill a few people for some bullshit reason.

As far as I know, reappearing back at Alatraz was unique to Jack Sylvane - who was also the first to appear. Cobb did not appear back there (or at least it was not shown), his first appearnace was the picnic/shooting - so the face recognition thing is not a valid complaint.

oatmeal

Banned
Was anyone else kind of let down by Jack's character?

He was introduced and it's all kind of mysterious, and then we find out how unlucky he was that he went to jail for stealing from a grocery store, and it seems like "Oh okay, cool...this guy we will learn what happened through..."

And his name is Jack...which is always the leading mans name.

But then he just starts killing people and fucked up everything.

Slime

Banned
The episodes are named after the inmates, 256 of them disappeared, and the characters gotta catch 'em all. Not exactly a lot of room for exciting storytelling.

I'm just not a fan of procedurals unless there's some hook, but nothing about this show is pulling me in. The only thing that seems even remotely interesting are the prisoner flashbacks, but neither of the ones we've seen have been all that great. Then there's the mystery, but right now it's not intriguing enough for me to endure these mediocre, by-the-numbers cop show stories with characters I don't see myself caring about.

I might come back at the end of the season to see if it picks up, but right now it seems like Fringe lite for the Criminal Minds crowd. Not my cup of tea.

The people who are criticizing Sarah Jones are probably the same people who were (or would have been) criticizing Anna Torv on the early episodes of Fringe. However, Torv started excelling later on in that show (particularly season 3 on wards). Jones is a good actress, and she showed that in Sons of Anarchy - but she had a lot of character to play with on there. Currently, she is just a basic detective, with very little back-story, and very few ties to other character in the show. Let he develop a bit before you criticize!!

I didn't watch this, but four years in and Torv is still easily the weakest link on Fringe acting-wise.

I didn't watch this, but four years in and Torv is still easily the weakest link on Fringe acting-wise.

Joshua Jackson plays every scene the same. I don't think hes acting. He's just being Joshua Jackson which is okay because it totally works for the show. He's my favorite character.

Joshua Jackson plays every scene the same. I don't think hes acting. He's just being Joshua Jackson which is okay because it totally works for the show. He's my favorite character.

Agreed on Jackson being the same. And Torv started nailing it once Fauxlivia was introduced. But John Noble has been, and always will be the best actor on the show.

ivysaur12

Banned
Looking at the Schedule, this is the lineup for the next few weeks...

"Pilot" January 16, 2012
"Ernest Cobb" January 16, 2012
"
Kit Nelson
" January 23, 2012
"
Cal Sweeney
" January 23, 2012
"" January 30, 2012
"" February 6, , 2012
"" February 13, 2012
"" February 20, , 2012
"" February 27, 2012
"" February 27, 2012
"" March 5 2012
"" March 12, 2012
"" March 12, 2012​

If it is correct, there are two more double bills in February and March.

Yeah they have to play out all originals because the timeslot is a timeshare with Touch.

methane47

Whats it matter who dies "first"? People die. A lot.

I simply don't want to watch a show if they are simply putting black people in it for seconds just to die... in the opening minutes of a program 1 time is fine... 2 times BACK to back... possibly a coincidence... 3 times BACK TO BACK TO BACK? thats a trend...

The greatness of this execution on Lost, going from plane crash and survival in season 1 to Desmond's time flashes in season 4, will never be duplicated or equaled.

The beginning of Lost sucked me in like no other show ever has mostly because I wasn't expecting it to be such a weird, mysterious show. It's the same problem that movies have when they try to pull a mystery twist on me: when I'm expecting it, I can figure out it and see it coming and I just don't enjoy it as much. I will never be blown away by another movie the way I was by Se7en or The Usual Suspects.

What? Source?

yes the creators spent a huge budget creating a pilot(and an endgame) that they didn't want picked up, and they got approved for it. c'mon son.

They didn't write it to not get picked up, they just thought they wouldn't get picked up to pilot because of the expense. Once they got picked up and got a $10 million dollar price tag on their pilot, yeah, they were into it.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/damon-lindelofs-history-lost-show-he-longed-quit-31281

And I quote: "They're never gonna pick this up anyways". Then Abram just leaves when it does get picked up, leaving Lindelof to try to figure out how the things that Abrams put in the show worked.

Lindelof tried to get out multiple times.

Plus, word of mouth reports.

Lost and BSG are both blockbuster hits with clueless showrunners.

And before anyone labels me a "hater", I loved both shows and stayed with them to the end.

d0c_zaius

This show let me down. I wasn't expecting a typical crime drama with some plot holes that will never get filled (probably).

But Sam Neill is awesome and I'll give it a couple of episodes to improve before writing it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom