• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alcatraz |OT| The Island is Over There

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
I was wondering how they would handle different types of criminals. Suffice it to say, this dude is creepy.

I wonder what the significance of
Madsen
being there talking to him has.

Apoc29

These guys know they're not in the 60's anymore, no one knows who they are, they have a new lease on life, and all they do is commit crimes the exact same way they did in the past. I hope there's an explanation other than "criminals don't change" *shrug*

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
These guys know they're not in the 60's anymore, no one knows who they are, they have a new lease on life, and all they do is commit crimes the exact same way they did in the past. I hope there's an explanation other than "criminals don't change" *shrug*

It clearly seems to be leading to someone pulling strings. The first episode the guy said that he was told what to do, but he didn't know how or why.

Tamanon

Banned

Well it seems like at least the sniper and this guy had a psychological reason. The only reason they didn't was because they were in prison, but even the sniper was planning while in prison.

Somnia

They could also be pawns to distract everyone from the others being brought back who are being told what to do.

ultron87

Nice shoe toss there kid. I don't think it helped that much though.

I have to assume these serial killers guys are serving as a distraction for the whatever the real plot is.

So, this is seeming more and more like just a retro themed Criminal Minds. I'm not really digging it. Jorge's character really annoys me.

Might give it one more episode.

Apoc29

There's definitely someone pulling the strings; too bad there were no hints of that in this episode.

So far, Sam Neill's capped a con every episode. Will be a nice montage at the end of the season :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Show still has me hooked. Really interested to see where this is going to end up.

Same here. Not sure what's up with some people being down on it, seems to me like one of the better new shows I've seen in ages. Maybe that speaks to the quality of TV now though.

Doorman

Still not really liking it, and Sam Neill's whole "I'll bring you into my operation but be disgruntled about it and offer no help" is already wearing pretty tiresome. That said, the end of the episode with
bad guy taking his chances *bang*
and
Sam walking into Neo-Alcatraz single-handedly hauling a body bag
both really entertained me for some reason.

The main hook of the show still doesn't have me invested in any meaningful way, though. I'm not sure I'm going to be keeping up with this one.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sam Neill's been a constant dick throughout the show, which is funny. But he REALLY turns on the dickness when he's bringing in the cons into Alcatraz 2.0. Somethings up with him, but damn if it isn't entertaining.

How did I miss the "wheelchair+walking and the hatch" nod, I don't know :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
lolwut, so many missed opportunities..

How could there not be any incredibly intriguing consequences for killing an inmate?

I thought they were going to bring the dead con back to life at the end lol Although I guess they still could. They need to get T-Bag to be one of the criminals on the show. That would take it to another level.

Still not really liking it, and Sam Neill's whole "I'll bring you into my operation but be disgruntled about it and offer no help" is already wearing pretty tiresome. That said, the end of the episode with
bad guy taking his chances *bang*
and
Sam walking into Neo-Alcatraz single-handedly hauling a body bag
both really entertained me for some reason.

The main hook of the show still doesn't have me invested in any meaningful way, though. I'm not sure I'm going to be keeping up with this one.

Yeah, Alcatraz 2.0 had me guessing from day one, but this sort of confirms my theory that they all need to be put back in the same spot, because they are all going back.

aparisi2274

Somehow I think Doctor Beauregard has the ability to bring dead back to life, if what hauser said to him last night was an indication of things to come.

Especially when he asked the doc for a favor, because the person was a friend of his.

Enco

Good
- The LOST music
- The LOST flashbacks
- The story. I really want to know what happened. Sadly I doubt I'll find out any time soon

Bad
- The formulaic structure
- The jail door transition (AKA The LOST monster)

I enjoyed this episode. The acting by the main chick was decent and Doc (Hurley) was fantastic. If the episodes keep up this formula of going after a criminal and always catching them at the end I will be very disappointed. I completely dropped House because of the same formula of him always finding a cure no matter what.

I will stick with it a couple more episodes to see if they reveal anything involving why this is happening because that is the only thing that has me interested so far.

Tunic

I enjoyed this episode. The acting by the main chick was decent and Doc (Hurley) was fantastic. If the episodes keep up this formula of going after a criminal and always catching them at the end I will be very disappointed. I completely dropped House because of the same formula of him always finding a cure no matter what.

I will stick with it a couple more episodes to see if they reveal anything involving why this is happening because that is the only thing that has me interested so far.

I agree, what keeps me watching right now is to see the reveal of why/how it is happening. There has to be some kind of twist or something coming soon. They can't always been successful with capturing these guys or it will get tiring very quickly. Overall I do enjoy the show but there are some definite cheesy/corny times in it. I try to view it as a serious show but I don't know if that is how they want it viewed.

I do have a question though in understanding something:

Is the person who shot the main woman's partner her grandfather?

Doorman

I do have a question though in understanding something:

Is the person who shot the main woman's partner her grandfather?

I don't think there as any shooting involved with her partner, but as far as him being the one responsible for it, yes.

This. One of the things that made X-Files so good, for instance, was the over-arching story. Sure, 4 out of 5 episodes were the formulaic "weird shit happens, then find the bad guy." But that 1 episode that was the "aliens are real" episode, woven throughout the rest of the series, really helped make it something special.

So Alcatraz has that over-arching mystery going on with the 2.0 thing, and whoever controlled making everyone disappear, but I really hope they get a few of these criminals who go all Moriarty on them.

Edit: I also hope they get out of San Fran. Yes, the island is right there in the bay, but are you telling me none of these hardened criminals are smart enough to hop on a bus and head to LA or Vegas, etc?

RPGamer92

Banned
My prediction after watching the first three episodes: The Emerson that is in the present day is a fake and the mastermind behind Alcatraz is the 1960's Emerson who is still the same as he was and caused the criminals to come back.

I wonder what the significance of
Madsen
being there talking to him has.

Most likely one of the guys that picks them out.

Anyways. I really liked how, in the pilot, he was the one that killed Rebecca's partner years ago. It shows that this started before the first episode.

Also:
Lucy

Are all of these guys gonna be coming from solitary?

Nope, infirmary.

- The story. I really want to know what happened. Sadly I doubt I'll find out any time soon

Before they greenlit the show, they had Abrams tell them the entire plot.

Chris R

Wait the whole cop partner stuff happened YEARS ago? I was under the impression that it was a few weeks to maybe a month max ago (aka before the first case).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom