• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart/BB/Gamestop PS4 Black Friday Bundles are up $399.99 GTA V-TLOU

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
What-gif.gif

Well he is kinda right. Newegg already had it for 329$. Not everyone cares about those bundled games.

it's obviously the price cut isn't temporary.

It's really not that obvious at all when it states boldly and consistently limited time only. Maybe it's all a big conspiracy. You're acting as though my position is the controversial one when it essentially makes no assumption or speculative thinking at all. It's pure facts.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's really not that obvious at all when it states boldly and consistently limited time only. Maybe it's all a big conspiracy. You're acting as though my position is the controversial one when it essentially makes no assumption or speculative thinking at all. It's pure facts.
Your assumption is that they honor what they say in a few months. An assumption that would have been wrong with several aspects of the Xbone.

Your assumption is that they honor what they say in a few months. An assumption that would have been wrong with several aspects of the Xbone.

Now we're veering off into further ambiguous/speculative territory where you have to take the past into account and then try to apply it to future circumstances.

Isn't it a lot easier to just take the facts as they stand?

chithanh

Banned
Where are you guys getting the numbers from for how much this is costing MS?
That's quite simple:
Price cut × sales = effect on their bottom line

So if they sold 1 million consoles at $50 lower price, that just cost them $50 million.

Due to price elasticity, they will obviously sell more consoles at the lower price, and that is where things get complicated. It seems plausible though that $349 with two games leaves no profit margin for MS, so that would be a low estimate.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Now we're veering off into further ambiguous/speculative territory where you have to take the past into account and then try to apply it to future circumstances.

Isn't it a lot easier to just take the facts as they stand?
I find that including past behavior, when it's as short as a year ago to be informative when speculating.

Certainly there is nothing more valid about dismissing history vs. including history.

If Sony wins November NDP it'll be glorious.

After looking at the anecdotes thread pics of empty X1 spaces and stacks of PS4's, and all these articles cropping up about X1 being sold out... not a chance.

Sony needed to win BF to withstand all the weeks in November X1 had already outsold PS4 by, but now X1 is winning that as well...

Well, I'm not looking forward to seeing the chunk missing from that hard-fought, 10-straight-NPD-wins-in-the-making 1.1m lead PS4 has.

Truly depressing that this is the difference in wealth between companies, that Sony after getting everything so right, and MS getting everything so disgustingly wrong, can just buy their way back at the table and even end up with the bigger stack of chips.

After looking at the anecdotes thread pics of empty X1 spaces and stacks of PS4's, and all these articles cropping up about X1 being sold out... not a chance.

Sony needed to win BF to withstand all the weeks in November X1 had already outsold PS4 by, but now X1 is winning that as well...

Well, I'm not looking forward to seeing the chunk missing from that hard-fought, 10-straight-NPD-wins-in-the-making 1.1m lead PS4 has.

Truly depressing that this is the difference in wealth between companies, that Sony after getting everything so right, and MS getting everything so disgustingly wrong, can just buy their way back at the table and even end up with the bigger stack of chips.

Truly depressing? This is yet another case of US=The World.

Sony has a pretty big lead WW and MS winning November in the US wont make a dent.

There is no need to be upset :).

Windforce

Yes, my friend. Well said.

The real test for MS will be 2015, from Januray till the Holidays again. They opened their wallet for this November, and it paid, as one would have expected; Sony has no chance in an attrition war, and I think playing it safe was the right way to go. We will gauge how successful MS maneuvers have been by the recorded sales in the start of 2015. Only then will we know whether their financial sacrifices have sufficed to correct course, or were only successful in winning them a dual or two (in the US, that is).

And Sony will make up any difference they lost in the US, in worldwide sales this holiday....Sony is playing a worldwide game, Microsoft drew a line in the sand. If they didn't, the price drop would have been outside of the US...

EatMyFace

Banned

All the pics? I've only seen one and there was no one around. Could've been before opening for all we know...

EatMyFace

Banned
It's not like Microsoft hasn't gone back on their word before. Remember when they said Xbox One would never be sold without Kinect?

It's only the logical thing to do if you're in Microsofts situation. Bringing the price back up after the holidays would be a horrible business move.

Sarobi

Banned

PS4 isn't going to lose the lead just because Xbox One is picking up the pace for one or two months.

It's not like Microsoft hasn't gone back on their word before. Remember when they said Xbox One would never be sold without Kinect?

It's only the logical thing to do if you're in Microsofts situation. Bringing the price back up after the holidays would be a horrible business move.

That all depends on what Microsoft cares about. How much profit they are willing to forego. What their goals are and what their plans are. Maybe they themselves don't know what the price will be next year.

I just know it says 349 for a limited time and I'm not gonna sit here and play the jump to the conclusions game or talk about how I'm certain the price won't go back up.

PS4 isn't going to lose the lead just because Xbox One is picking up the pace for one or two months.

He doesn't want them to lose that hard fought chunk of the lead. Which is pretty hilarious because I doubt they care as long as they are meeting their goals and making money.

onQ123

Actually that could give PS4 a big chance to catch up. if the Xbox One's are selling out already while PS4 still have stock. this is what happened last December & pushed Xbox One over PS4.

He doesn't want them to lose that hard fought chunk of the lead. Which is pretty hilarious because I doubt they care as long as they are meeting their goals and making money.

Right, I'm sure Sony doesn't care about making bigger profit and marketshare, just so long as they are meeting goals and making money already. Why exceed them, right?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Awww sweet you got a PS4 man. Congrats! I'll probably join the party next year when I visit DC. Consoles are WAY too expensive in my country.
Where do you live?
If your country is part of AmazonGlobal, you could get the bundle from Amazon without much hassle (more expensive than the US price of course, but likely cheaper than the local price)

Actually that could give PS4 a big chance to catch up. if the Xbox One's are selling out already while PS4 still have stock. this is what happened last December & pushed Xbox One over PS4.

Euh...Today's the 27th of the month. There is no chance for the results to be any different from what they have been up to now. Sony lost this month for sure. Now it remains to be seen whether the boost the Xbox One has received will carry it till the end of the year...

Euh...Today's the 27th of the month. There is no chance for the results to be any different from what they have been up to now. Sony lost this month for sure. Now it remains to be seen whether the boost the Xbox One has received will carry it till the end of the year...

No chance? Black Friday takes up the majority of November's sales. November is an entirely different beast in comparison to other months. I mean, I think the X1 will win this month, too, but its victory is far from guaranteed.

No chance? Black Friday takes up the majority of November's sales. November is an entirely different beast in comparison to other months. I mean, I think the X1 will win this month, too, but its victory is far from guaranteed.

To reverse the tide, the PS4 would have to come out victorious by a very large margin, as to offset the handicap constituted over three weeks of sales. Not seeing how that could happen. I am not even certain that the PS4 will have better sales during the Black Friday period...

To reverse the tide, the PS4 would have to come out victorious by a very large margin, as to offset the handicap constituted over three weeks of sales. Not seeing how that could happen. I am not even certain that the PS4 will have better sales during the Black Friday period...

I could definitely have seen it if PS4 pulled through these next two months with wins, solidifying its status once and for all as the de facto current/next gen console and the snowball had started to accumulate.

How would they be making bigger profit if they lowered price to match an act of urgency by Microsoft?

Because of what MS sees, and that's that in the long run, subscriptions and game sales, etc, win out.

And Sony pushing further and further ahead, especially during this critical first year, could have triggered the snowball effect, which would have meant far more sales of software and subs.

I could definitely have seen it if PS4 pulled through these next two months with wins, solidifying its status once and for all as the de facto current/next gen console and the snowball had started to accumulate.

The US was always going to be a tough market to establish dominance in, for Sony. We just closed a very, very interesting chapter (last gen)...one in which the 360 humiliated the PS3. No matter what people say, brand name carries a weight, and if you have been a MS fan at heart, who had enjoyed his experience with Halo, Gears, Forza and Live, you would be extremely tempted to re-immerse yourself in that same world at the adequate cost. MS is an extremely resourceful company, and they will be fighting tooth and nails not to lose the only market where a lead could possibly be established, and Sony knows it. It would be foolish to bleed money -especially knowing Sony financial turmoils- simply in order to match or exceed a rival, particularly when said competitor has much more cash to throw around.
I think that Sony would be ecstatic to get a tie in this market, as they will be able to dominate elsewhere...In fact, I would go as far as to suggest that being a close second in the US will not be a proposition they will refuse.

Problem is we don't know how large of a handicap the PS4 had. I'm pretty certain that the PS4 will sell more on Black Friday, but it won't be enough to make up for the deficit from the first 3 weeks.

Because of what MS sees, and that's that in the long run, subscriptions and game sales, etc, win out.

And Sony pushing further and further ahead, especially during this critical first year, could have triggered the snowball effect, which would have meant far more sales of software and subs.

No. Sony is following the Nintendo model which has proven to be more profitable than being a loss-leader. Plus Sony is going to continue to dominate worldwide even if the Xbox One is competitive in the U.S. This market is less than half of the PlayStation sales while it is basically everything to Xbox. A price cut is not needed now.

wapplew

The US was always going to be a tough market to establish dominance in, for Sony. We just closed a very, very interesting chapter (last gen)...one in which the 360 humiliated the PS3. No matter what people say, brand name carries a weight, and if you have been a MS fan at heart, who had enjoyed his experience with Halo, Gears, Forza and Live, you would be extremely tempted to re-immerse yourself in that same world at the adequate cost. MS is an extremely resourceful company, and they will be fighting tooth and nails not to lose the only market where a lead could possibly be established, and Sony knows it. It would be foolish to bleed money -especially knowing Sony financial turmoils- simply in order to match or exceed a rival, particularly when said competitor has much more cash to throw around.
I think that Sony would be ecstatic to get a tie in this market, as they will be able to dominate elsewhere...In fact, I would go as far as to suggest that being a close second in the US will not be a proposition they will refuse.

You are right, Sony is the challenger in the US.
MS will take back NA sooner or later.

That 1.1 million lead isn't going to disappear in one month. MS can win November and even December. However, how much the X1 can outsell the PS4 by in those 2 months won't exceed the amount the PS4 outsells the X1 from January to end of October.

Throwing money is only a short-term solution. Even a company with huge amounts of cash like MS cannot rely on such tactics. This is especially true next year when the X1 has very little noteworthy exclusives until Quantum Break and Halo 5 in the fall.

vesvci

Banned

If XBO wins November, it will be a Pyrrhic victory. Also, I doubt Sony would want MS to accelerate their plans to release an Xbox Two or Xbox Eight or whatever number they pick.

Drifters

Why the fuck are all these threads turning into NPD circle jerks over who wins which country for how long and how hard the battle was? God dammit just buy the console, enjoy the savings and keep living your life.

Just for the hell if it I'm going to buy two PS4 bundles.

On Demand

Banned

The problem with this thinking is that you don't know how much XB1 outsold PS4. All MS said was that they were leading in sales, but by how much? PS4 could be 100K behind those 3 weeks or 10K. We don't know. BF makes up the majority of Novembers sales so it is indeed possible for PS4 to stll win NPD.

You're jumping the gun by several orders of magnitude.

We already know Sony sent a much larger shipment of bundles for BF than MS did for XBO, and for all the hype around the "triple last week of October" PR has on the surface, those last week October sales were intentionally gimped b/c of the new price cut announcement, and not to mention XBO sold something around 250k in October (someone correct me if I'm wrong; it was quite lower than September's) and even on average that would have (again, on average) been just about 187k in the first 2 weeks...that isn't very impressive at all.

No doubt they've sold well in November..I'm guessing 550k max or just slightly more. But I still feel PS4 will take November. Even if so, the question then is by how much; for the #1 system this gen I wouldn't expect anything less than 800k in November to be satisfactory.

If XBO does win November and it (realistically) does about 550-625k, well that's actually pretty troubling isn't it? 360 was pulling 1 million in those months as market leader, I'm very sure PS2 was doing around that too, damn sure the Wii blew past that mark. And going back even further, I know PS1 and N64 did better than 550k NPD for November. 550k in November is about Saturn-tier; very good on its own but how's that carry the slack for the rest of the under-performers?

And I'm already expecting the install base to contract this gen anyway; but really, not where I'd say 550k in a holiday month as the best number is healthy or sustainable.

Elios83

You're jumping the gun, Pistolero :D
It's likely that Xbox One will win November considering the crazy deals they have done for the whole month.
They have done everything they could, first 350$ and now 329$ with two games and even gift cards somewhere...honestly come on....they halved the value of their product in a single year, they focused on the US and explicitly gave up in continental Europe this year with no deals or price drops at all, it would be absolutely crazy if the north american market continued to say no thanks. It would mean that the product has no chances regardless of the price and I don't think we're at that point.
The only misstep Microsoft did this holiday season in the US was with Halo:MCC whose buzz was probably killed by bad word of mouth due to the not working online.
BUT we don't know how much PS4 has been outsold during the first two weeks, could be a thin margin, we don't know if XB1 has won last week at all (PS4 could have won considering the GTAV+FC4 launch) and Black Friday week isn't even over, by the end of the week (saturday night) both will be sold out, so shipments will play a bigger role than many are thinking for the last week of the month.
As I said I think XB1 will come on top, but I don't expect a big difference at all, they will be really close.

I would be surprised if the pre-Thanksgiving sales lead Xbox One enjoyed this month was greater than 100K. In a month where sales totals for each system could approach or exceed 1 Million, that "handicap", as you put it, is not that much of a hurdle. If indeed the Xbox One is supply limited, selling out before Black Friday technically even begins it could mean PS4 has significantly outshipped Microsoft's system and will be the only thing on shelves for most of Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

Top Bottom