• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-PC, washed up Seinfeld Highest Paid comic in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

$36 million

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-9.30.18-AM-1280x769.png

Despite losing all that college campus and lemonade stand money, Jerry Seinfeld has been named the world’s highest-paid comedian by Forbes for the fourth time so far. Seinfeld, who has always raked in millions from Seinfeld syndication, had an enormous payday this year when Hulu bought the rights to the show in a whopping $160 million deal. To pad those earnings, Seinfeld continually pulls large crowds on tours and has tickled fans with his online series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/gjdm45jkk/1-jerry-seinfeld-36-mill/
http://www.avclub.com/article/jerry-seinfeld-remains-worlds-highest-paid-comedia-227260

It seems that with the example he sets his colleague who support his problematic ideology (Amy Schumer, Chris Rock) may lash out and punch down even more.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anti-PC, washed up, AND problematic, whoa. Tell us how you really feel, OP.

And I didn't know it was possible to simultaenously be washed up and the highest paid

zychi

Banned
Hating on the man who has a show named after him that people love. Makes sense.

He'll be a billionare before syndicated tv dies.

Arc

Ahh yes, the old agenda framing OP method.

OP might also might not know what "washed up" actually means.

The whole Seinfeld / College Campus conflict really gets to me. He doesn't do well on campuses because too many students get offended at his jokes. So what?! I think it's a shame Universities are so "PC" today. The dudes just a comedian, telling jokes. College should open you up to new ideas, prepare you for life outside of the classroom. Perhaps jokes you find uncomfortable can be a part of that. Making college campuses shelters from the real world (which is often offensive and shitty) doesn't help anyone.

Toxi

Banned
I'm not sure what's sillier, the thread title or the people who don't realize the OP agrees with them.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Throwing that kinda shade right off the bat? I thought this was a POP-GAF thread until I saw the name Seinfeld.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
People who constantly repeat the word "problematic" in this sort of context remind me of the documentary Going Clear where the scientologists continuously refer to people as "supressive persons" so that other scientologists will know to completely cut off contact with them. When you come off sounding like literal cultist you know you've probably made a couple wrong turns in life.

Another one from just today:
I think a lot of it had to do with the portrayal of Black Widow in AoU. Which, personally, was a bit problematic. I think the idea that because someone made a single probelmatic piece of art they can't be considered a "true feminist" is awful though. People have difference of opinions on what is and isn't problematic, people slip up and say/do problematic things without knowing, and people learn and change from their experiences.

Treating feminism and progressivism as a "club" that will kick you out if you don't perfectly follow the "rules" is a huge problem within those communities right now, in my opinion.

As much as I want to, I'm not going to get into how I feel about the man's ideas about PC culture, or his stand-up.

What I will say is that Seinfeld is a legendary show, and if he's still making crazy money off that, it's well deserved.

The thread title is probably a bit much.

So being the highest paid comic = "washed up"?

I'd like to think that OP was being sarcastic but I honestly cant tell with GAF sometimes.

The political commissars are closing on Seinfeld. Let's see how funny he will be with a bullet in the head :(

I don't even like him, but come on.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OP is clearly sarcastic. Maybe people who can't see that missed previous Seinfeld thread where so many here almost declared him an irrelevant washed-up has-been. So OP is now smirking at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom