• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any DnB fans on neogaf?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Not a massive fan of this, its still good, but everyone once in a while magnetude release these more poppy sounding dnb tunes, like Friday, Hyperspeed and now this, just prefer their more aggressive sound
You are right and i completely agree with you.

They just tend to release single tracks and not even that often so i just shared that.

INC

You are right and i completely agree with you.

They just tend to release single tracks and not even that often so i just shared that.

Don't get me wrong, magnetude are by far my favourite dnb artists, just not of their more light hearted tunes. Production is still stupidity clean

Last edited:

QSD

Not a massive fan of this, its still good, but everyone once in a while magnetude release these more poppy sounding dnb tunes, like Friday, Hyperspeed and now this, just prefer their more aggressive sound

What I got from listening to that track was that it was kind of trancey with all the supersaw synth melodies. Why I like to listen to D&B from time to time is because it has its own palette of sounds that's different from trance or techno. This kind of feels like it tries to please everybody, but it ends up being a kind of regression towards the mean (if that makes sense)

INC

What I got from listening to that track was that it was kind of trancey with all the supersaw synth melodies. Why I like to listen to D&B from time to time is because it has its own palette of sounds that's different from trance or techno. This kind of feels like it tries to please everybody, but it ends up being a kind of regression towards the mean (if that makes sense)

Is basically a more slightly left commercial DnB sounding

Last edited:

QSD

Is basically a more slightly left commercial DnB sounding
Well, you know, it has the D&B style beats, but to me "Drum & Bass" means just that e.g. there's a kind of minimalism implied in the name. When all of the energy/focus of the track is actually in the mids, it sort of feels off to me. It reminds me a bit of when I was big into listening to psytrance in the late 90ies. It was trendy for every LP I used to buy to have 1 or 2 tracks that attempted at drum & bass. But it would never sound like actual D&B because all of the focus was still on the trancey synths in the mid (the way a psytrance track was produced back then)

INC

Well, you know, it has the D&B style beats, but to me "Drum & Bass" means just that e.g. there's a kind of minimalism implied in the name. When all of the energy/focus of the track is actually in the mids, it sort of feels off to me. It reminds me a bit of when I was big into listening to psytrance in the late 90ies. It was trendy for every LP I used to buy to have 1 or 2 tracks that attempted at drum & bass. But it would never sound like actual D&B because all of the focus was still on the trancey synths in the mid (the way a psytrance track was produced back then)
More like this? (Working progress), just focus on drums and bass? Or is this still trancey

QSD

More like this? (Working progress), just focus on drums and bass? Or is this still trancey

Hey new WIP! The beats sound good. It is kind of trancey although less so than the track we were discussing, the single monosynth lead leans more toward minimalism. The synth sounds good but it's full-spectrum all the time. If it were me I'd close up the filter (or reduce the overall FM amount if it's an FM synth) and only have it full-spectrum for a few climactic moments. That will make the whole track sound darker and more 'measured' in its sonic energy, if that makes sense. I'm not too sure about the square wave twinkly arpeggio, maybe I'd replace that sound with something slightly less naïve sounding. Oh and a dub delay on the vocal wouldn't go amiss

This is just what comes to mind while listening, obviously you should do what you like, but these are some suggestions.

INC

Hey new WIP! The beats sound good. It is kind of trancey although less so than the track we were discussing, the single monosynth lead leans more toward minimalism. The synth sounds good but it's full-spectrum all the time. If it were me I'd close up the filter (or reduce the overall FM amount if it's an FM synth) and only have it full-spectrum for a few climactic moments. That will make the whole track sound darker and more 'measured' in its sonic energy, if that makes sense. I'm not too sure about the square wave twinkly arpeggio, maybe I'd replace that sound with something slightly less naïve sounding. Oh and a dub delay on the vocal wouldn't go amiss

This is just what comes to mind while listening, obviously you should do what you like, but these are some suggestions.
Arp is place holder, defo look into what u said, as said working progress.

Cheers

INC

That were just my favorites. Of course everything from him was exceptionell!

Ah I see, these are instant come to mind when I see apex mentioned, hench intro shows how unrela his production was, its literally just a kick, snare and shaker, and odds and ends. And its still got such a vibe

Con-Z-epT

Ah I see, these are instant come to mind when I see apex mentioned, hench intro shows how unrela his production was, its literally just a kick, snare and shaker, and odds and ends. And its still got such a vibe
He just always delivered a specific groove. When i heard a new track of him i immediately jumped out of my chair and said yes, this is it.

lem0n

Can anyone recommend a good playlist on Spotify that will give me a huge, quality variety of music? I don't know many artists as I'm new to the genre.

INC

nice varied summer mix, not as dark for my normal tastes, but great for getting the house work done, or background BBQ music

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

sometimes simplicity is all you need for a vibe
For commercial success yes but the artistic integrity also gets left behind.

I mean the simpler the track the more people will like it overall and this doesn't mean it is bad or that nothing goes into the making of it.

But i will always choose a complex production with depth over something simple that i may listen a few times and then forget.

INC

For commercial success yes but the artistic integrity also gets left behind.

I mean the simpler the track the more people will like it overall and this doesn't mean it is bad or that nothing goes into the making of it.

But i will always choose a complex production with depth over something simple that i may listen a few times and then forget.

sure, the point was more, as long as it has a vibe, thats all that matters in music really

this isnt my preferred style, but it has it place, within a set

Top Bottom